IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th October 2021, 07:58 AM   #41
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Mitch McConnell would definitely compromise. Do you think Mitch would turn down the infrastructure deal in exchange for the resignation of Biden and Harris?

You can compromise on nearly anything with a big enough offer.
And The Joker would compromise in not killing the hostage in return for control of all of Gotham.
Old 8th October 2021, 08:11 AM   #42
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And The Joker would compromise in not killing the hostage in return for control of all of Gotham.
Exactly! Let's not make up accusations of unwillingness to compromise when it isn't true.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:13 AM   #43
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I want you to give me 20 dollars. You want to give me 10 dollars.

If I tell you I want 20 dollars, we'll compromise (in a fair and even system) somewhere around 15 dollars.

If I tell you I want 30 dollars even though I really only want 20, we'll "compromise" on the 20 dollars I really want.

That's why the Right keeps sliding further and further to the Right, so they can pretend "compromise" is them just getting what they want.

"Compromise" is a meaningless concept if one side can keep sliding further and further away.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th October 2021 at 08:17 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:15 AM   #44
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I want you to give me 20 dollars. You want to give me 10 dollars.

If I tell you I want 20 dollars, we'll compromise (in a fair and even system) somewhere around 15 dollars.

If I tell you I want 30 dollars even though I really only want 20, we'll "compromise" on the 20 dollars I really want.

That's why the Right keeps sliding further and further to the Right, so they can pretend "compromise" is them just getting what they want.
That would only work if when offered 30 dollars they also turn it down.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:25 AM   #45
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That would only work if when offered 30 dollars they also turn it down.
No.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:45 AM   #46
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No.
If they want 30, 20 is still a compromise even though they wanted 20 before..... because they want 30.
Old 8th October 2021, 08:46 AM   #47
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If they want 30, 20 is still a compromise even though they wanted 20 before..... because they want 30.
No.

Old 8th October 2021, 10:36 AM   #48
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Work on your reading comprehension, Bob.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:42 PM   #49
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Mitch McConnell Says Republicans Will Not Vote To Raise Debt Ceiling In December by Toria Barnhart

I'm beginning to think he enjoys this.
Old 9th October 2021, 04:58 AM   #50
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Mitch McConnell would definitely compromise. Do you think Mitch would turn down the infrastructure deal in exchange for the resignation of Biden and Harris?

You can compromise on nearly anything with a big enough offer.
He would want Pelosi to resign as well, and the reinstatement of The Mango Moron as president. (Yes, I know it is entirely unconstitutional and a fantasy, etc., but Mitch would demand leeway be made and precedents overridden. If he could get an inch, he would demand a foot. And if he can get a foot, he will want the whole nine yards.)

Plus....A MILLION DOLLARS!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 9th October 2021 at 05:00 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 06:10 AM   #51
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He would want Pelosi to resign as well, and the reinstatement of The Mango Moron as president. (Yes, I know it is entirely unconstitutional and a fantasy, etc., but Mitch would demand leeway be made and precedents overridden. If he could get an inch, he would demand a foot. And if he can get a foot, he will want the whole nine yards.)

Plus....A MILLION DOLLARS!
Then we agree that Democrats have away to compromise with McConnell to get it passed. They just don't value passing it enough to do it.
Old 9th October 2021, 08:26 AM   #52
Lithrael
Master Poster

Bob. Come on, my dude. If you need tires for your car, you don’t take an offer to trade your car for a set of tires. ‘You could though,’ is unadulterated sophistry.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 11:39 AM   #53
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"I'm willing to compromise as long as we redefine to compromise to me I get what I originally wanted" as a description of the Republican mindset is, sadly, probably the least Bob-like thing Bob has ever said.

Old 9th October 2021, 11:44 AM   #54
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

"I'm willing to compromise as long as we redefine to compromise to me I get what I originally wanted" as a description of the Republican mindset is, sadly, probably the least Bob-like thing Bob has ever said.
preferences change over time
Old 9th October 2021, 12:17 PM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
And yet he will.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 02:12 PM   #56
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of Mitch McConnell laughing, could you repeat that?
That's because the tool is broken. It's too easy to use without expending effort or facing meaningful backlash, as Mitch has proven endlessly.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 02:24 PM   #57
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Then we agree that Democrats have away to compromise with McConnell to get it passed. They just don't value passing it enough to do it.
LOL.

Wait... You're serious??

Double LOL!!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 06:56 PM   #58
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
LOL.

Wait... You're serious??

Double LOL!!
What do you find funny? we articulated a path of compromise to get the bill passed. Clearly, democrats dont value the bill more than the outcome of the comprise.
Old 10th October 2021, 06:25 AM   #59
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
GOP voted twice to raise the debt ceiling under Trump.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics