IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ouija boards

Old 16th February 2021, 07:55 PM   #121
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
OK, then.
Thread necromancy is frowned upon as a behaviour in general for obvious reasons.

You have 65 posts. How many have I? This should not be a difficult question for you. I have a feeling that you cannot work that out. I could be wrong, but I await your reply.

You have presented a hatload of claims accompanied by NO EVIDENCE OF ANY SORT. Why would any reasonable person find this even vaguely convincing of anything?

I eagerly anticipate your coherent answers.

Moist regards.
What kind of evidence do you want? I do the work I do for curosity, some fun and a diversion from the drag of serious life stuff. Come visit me and we can do some pendulum work.

What are moist regards?

Last edited by Caroline13; 16th February 2021 at 07:59 PM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 07:57 PM   #122
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Why does everything have to be scientific? How about some fun and curosity and energy work.

Fun and curiosity? I can get behind that. Thatís how most people figure out for themselves what is actually going on. Itís fun to figure stuff out and then use it against the credulous for ***** and giggles!

Energy work? Well, thereís no such thing so thatís out.
Old 16th February 2021, 08:01 PM   #123
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Fun and curiosity? I can get behind that. Thatís how most people figure out for themselves what is actually going on. Itís fun to figure stuff out and then use it against the credulous for ***** and giggles!

Energy work? Well, thereís no such thing so thatís out.
Oh you are the energy expert?

What a ton of heavy people here.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 08:26 PM   #124
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Why does everything have to be scientific? How about some fun and curosity and energy work.
If it can't be tested or measured, how can we say that it exists?
Old 16th February 2021, 11:55 PM   #125
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

Both is best. The former without the latter at least produces reliable conclusions, the latter without the former does not.
Old 17th February 2021, 12:08 AM   #126
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

What kind of evidence do you want?
Objective evidence. That's the only kind that is sufficient to reach reliable conclusions. Subjective evidence, i.e. anecdotes, can be misleading, as generations of our ancestors discovered to their cost.

So for water dowsing, for example, objective evidence might be demonstrating that the dowser can tell a covered bucket of water from a covered bucket of sand more often would be expected by chance, when not already aware which is which. You could easily do such a test yourself. If you succeeded, you would be the first dowser ever to do so.
Old 17th February 2021, 12:57 AM   #127
Lothian
should be banned

Good grief, I didn't even notice the date and YES I'm a new member. And as I mentioned the Ouija Board was mentioned in a discussion the other night on coast to coast but maybe I didn't mention that, but so many love to make mountains out of mole hills, like make something out of such a little thing...Yikes...

Chill out people
Perhaps your homeopathic pills are interfering with your acupuncture meaning the vit c pills you take have misaligned your chakra resulting in the ley lines you have dowsed no longer boost your Refelexolgy pressure points resulting in a much lower green element to your aura. This in turn combined with the lack of a Covid mask will decrease the flow of chi around your body. Add to that a residue of toxins from cupping and urine therapy it really is no wonder that you missed the date while trolling.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 04:55 AM   #128
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
What kind of evidence do you want?
1. Evidence for spirits.
2. Evidence of how these spirits can interact with the physical world.
3. Evidence that the purported messages received by ouija boards actually come from these purported spirits.
It would also be nice to have an explanation of why the spirits can't just talk to us directly. If they can move us, they can move keyboards and pens. Why all this dicking about?
Old 17th February 2021, 11:35 AM   #129
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

It's the rules, when you cross into the afterlife you're given an orientation.

"Okay, you can talk to the living still, but you have to make it mysteeeerious and spoopy and not very clear. And make sure it can only be done with techniques closely resembling those of a faker."

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 11:52 AM   #130
xjx388
Philosopher

Oh you are the energy expert?

What a ton of heavy people here.

In the sense you are talking about, there is no such thing as an ďenergy expert.Ē

And Iím not that heavy. Chunky maybe.
Old 17th February 2021, 12:48 PM   #131
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Caroline13

Yes it IS alot of fun having stuff revealed.......The company who made it must have known the spirits would use it along with people to help them find stuff out!

When you realise the spirit world is very true,its not a mystery how it works.....
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 01:02 PM   #132
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it IS alot of fun having stuff revealed.......The company who made it must have known the spirits would use it along with people to help them find stuff out!

When you realise the spirit world is very true,its not a mystery how it works.....
Got any proof? Silly side stories don't count. Until then, it is a toy for entertainment and nothing more.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 04:56 PM   #133
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The company who made it...
Parker Brothers, I am compelled to remind readers. Now owned by Hasbro.
Old 17th February 2021, 07:10 PM   #134
Axxman300
Illuminator

None of these are nonsense. Just because most of you big time skeptics want to believe it and do your best to discredit, many people use all of them and with success.
While I am a big-time skeptic I am also a small-time ghost hunter.

Let me address Ouija Boards from my side of the fence for a moment:

THEY.ARE.CRAP.

Thank you for your time.
Old 17th February 2021, 07:17 PM   #135
Axxman300
Illuminator

Okay.

Here's why Ouija Boards are crap:

1. If the concept was in anyway sound, the planchette would move on its own without anyone touching it. It would do this every time.

2. The second you have a human being in physical contact with the planchette anything spelled out is AUTOMATICALLY suspect. And this is being kind.

3.People tend to help the planchette move to get answers they want.

Just by lotto tickets instead. Your odds are a thousand times better.
Old 18th February 2021, 05:01 AM   #136
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Okay.

1. If the concept was in anyway sound, the planchette would move on its own without anyone touching it. It would do this every time.

2. The second you have a human being in physical contact with the planchette anything spelled out is AUTOMATICALLY suspect. And this is being kind.

It's also rather elitist.
If you were a Chinese spirit, or an Arab spirit, then the western alphabet is useless to you. How do you communicate on such a board? Even if you were a French ghost, where are the accents?
Ouija boards only work for spirits who speak modern English. To me, this seems, as I say, elitist and rather odd.
Old 18th February 2021, 06:46 AM   #137
steenkh
Philosopher

These arguments are of course also known to real believers who can counter them with the argument that the spirits do not move the planchette by themselves, but through us. This is then why we need to touch the planchette, and why it has the English alphabet: the spirits use our subconsciousness for their purposes.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 06:51 AM   #138
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
These arguments are of course also known to real believers who can counter them with the argument that the spirits do not move the planchette by themselves, but through us. This is then why we need to touch the planchette, and why it has the English alphabet: the spirits use our subconsciousness for their purposes.
True - but you could blind the people (temporarily ) by creating a board with the letters and words randomly moved about and then blindfold the participants.
Old 18th February 2021, 07:02 AM   #139
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

But be cautious with your blindfold technique. Martin Gardner said that he knew at least 30 different ways to cheat blindfolds... The simplest being “nose peeking”.

It’s pretty well understood that Ouija boards, and pendulums, and similar devices, all work by means of the “ideomotor effect”, which I didn’t see mentioned here.

http://skepdic.com/ideomotor.html
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 09:13 AM   #140
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Okay.

My daughter's Magic 8-Ball agrees with you.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 10:30 AM   #141
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
True - but you could blind the people (temporarily ) by creating a board with the letters and words randomly moved about and then blindfold the participants.
I tried that and my ouija board spelt PAUL BE but hen seemed to go haywire as it followed with THKE. Must be broken.

Last edited by Lothian; 18th February 2021 at 10:32 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 02:07 PM   #142
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
If you were a Chinese spirit, or an Arab spirit, then the western alphabet is useless to you. How do you communicate on such a board? Even if you were a French ghost, where are the accents?
Ouija boards only work for spirits who speak modern English. To me, this seems, as I say, elitist and rather odd.
This is my #1 pet peeve.

I do have a cool Ouija Board story where it answered in Spanish, and the two people guiding the planchette were blindfolded, and neither spoke Spanish. The guy asking the questions was bilingual.

The problem is that I could never recreate this event. The responsible thing to do from there is to write it off as one of those weird things. Plus, during the session we should have had a fourth observer to ensure everything was kosher. It was possible our Spanish-speaker had his finger on the planchette but since we were blindfolded we never knew.

Either way, Ouijas are just silly, and a waste of money and time.
Old 18th February 2021, 03:26 PM   #143
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This is my #1 pet peeve.

I do have a cool Ouija Board story where it answered in Spanish, and the two people guiding the planchette were blindfolded, and neither spoke Spanish. The guy asking the questions was bilingual.

The problem is that I could never recreate this event. The responsible thing to do from there is to write it off as one of those weird things. Plus, during the session we should have had a fourth observer to ensure everything was kosher. It was possible our Spanish-speaker had his finger on the planchette but since we were blindfolded we never knew.

Either way, Ouijas are just silly, and a waste of money and time.
Is it possible that since you were blindfolded, you didn't see what the planchette spelled out, and the bilingual observer just made up whatever he liked?
Old 18th February 2021, 04:13 PM   #144
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

The planchette is the first ever 'universal translator'. Literally.
Old 18th February 2021, 04:14 PM   #145
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
The planchette is the first ever 'universal translator'. Literally.
So that's why the STNG communicator is the shape it is!
Old 18th February 2021, 04:21 PM   #146
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Is it possible that since you were blindfolded, you didn't see what the planchette spelled out, and the bilingual observer just made up whatever he liked?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 05:07 AM   #147
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Then why not reverse the process?
Have the ouija board in Farsi or Chinese, something no-one present understands, let the spirits say what they want to say, and then have it translated to check.
Easy-peasy.
Old 19th February 2021, 05:18 AM   #148
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thatís the sort of sneakiness that got Randi involved in the debunking of claims made by scientists in labs that were testing people for so called ESP and the like. The scientists were too trusting and werenít used to dealing with people who were experienced tricksters.
Old 20th February 2021, 01:24 AM   #149
steenkh
Philosopher

Then why not reverse the process?
Have the ouija board in Farsi or Chinese, something no-one present understands, let the spirits say what they want to say, and then have it translated to check.
Easy-peasy.

Good idea. To guard against the argument that spirits only know the language of the place where they once lived, you should conduct the test in China or Iran to ensure a plentiful supply of Farsi or Chinese-speaking spirits.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 04:54 PM   #150
Axxman300
Illuminator

It is completely possible.

This is why I treat it as a fun story to tell sitting around a campfire and not as proof of woo.
Old 21st February 2021, 03:47 PM   #151
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Good idea. To guard against the argument that spirits only know the language of the place where they once lived, you should conduct the test in China or Iran to ensure a plentiful supply of Farsi or Chinese-speaking spirits.
I'm not that well-versed in these things, but, from what I know, there don't seem to be any geographical restrictions on spirits. Native Americans, for example, pop up all over the place, far from the confines of North America.
Also, again from what I know, mediums don't tell their audiences that they've got no chance of getting a message if they're not local to the area.
Perhaps someone here with more knowledge of these things could clarify?
Old 21st February 2021, 04:50 PM   #152
xjx388
Philosopher

I'm not that well-versed in these things, but, from what I know, there don't seem to be any geographical restrictions on spirits. Native Americans, for example, pop up all over the place, far from the confines of North America.
Also, again from what I know, mediums don't tell their audiences that they've got no chance of getting a message if they're not local to the area.
Perhaps someone here with more knowledge of these things could clarify?

Itís because souls know no language. Soulspeak (which Iím trademarking so back off!) knows no nationality. When one soul speaks to another it transcends all human understanding. Why are questioning basic knowledge?
Old 21st February 2021, 05:04 PM   #153
Axxman300
Illuminator

When you're making stuff up who cares about a zipcode?
Old 21st February 2021, 10:32 PM   #154
Susheel
Graduate Poster

What kind of evidence do you want? I do the work I do for curosity, some fun and a diversion from the drag of serious life stuff. Come visit me and we can do some pendulum work.

What are moist regards?
The international society for the extremely gullible is --------> that aways.
Old 22nd February 2021, 01:37 AM   #155
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
The international society for the extremely gullible is --------> that aways.
Perth?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:51 AM   #156
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Itís because souls know no language. Soulspeak (which Iím trademarking so back off!) knows no nationality. When one soul speaks to another it transcends all human understanding. Why are questioning basic knowledge?
If souls know no language, then they can't communicate with us via a ouija board.
Good luck with that trademarking.
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:54 AM   #157
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

By the way, is 'soulspeak' another way of saying 'jive talking'?
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:59 AM   #158
xjx388
Philosopher

By the way, is 'soulspeak' another way of saying 'jive talking'?

No, no no...itís the universal language of the soul. Their soul speaks to ours in Soulspeak. Our souls influence our brains to move the planchette.

Iíll be announcing Soulspeak workshops soon; only $1995 for a half-hour session -Ouija board not included.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:01 AM   #159
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Pah, save your money, everyone, I'm selling Soulspeak-N-Spells for $50 a pop.

Old 11th March 2021, 01:53 AM   #160
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot
If it can't be tested or measured, how can we say that it exists?

Alot of things in this universe we dont understand!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal