IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags BFRO , bigfoot , matt moneymaker , sasquatch

Reply
Old 12th December 2008, 06:17 AM   #81
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,941
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
That would be a far better guess that Bigfoot, that's for sure. Those links I gave actually make a strong case for a deer.

That's just what it's called at BFF because a poster there theorized that when one of the campers went behind the bush to do his business his buddy decided that would be a good time to test the camera. Sounds as good as any other theory. The 'long neck' may be due to the squatter looking up, over the bush, making sure he's still hidden.

If you watch the full-size version notice how the video starts where the image eventually appears, and also notice how the camera pans to the right near the end and then the image goes that direction. Amazingly intuitive camera work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfGSiAuVt8
__________________
Normal in a weird way.

Last edited by GT/CS; 12th December 2008 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added link
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 06:33 AM   #82
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
If you watch the full-size version notice how the video starts where the image eventually appears, and also notice how the camera pans to the right near the end and then the image goes that direction. Amazingly intuitive camera work!
Interesting point. Wouldn't hearing rustling in that direction account for that?
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 08:09 AM   #83
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,941
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Interesting point. Wouldn't hearing rustling in that direction account for that?
In the beginning maybe but I don't think anything would be rustling to the right of the image before the guy runs off in that direction at the end.

Of course, it could be a coincidence that the camera moves that way at that time.
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 08:36 AM   #84
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,358
I wonder if they found the FECES, and said 'OMG BIGFOOT CRAP!', and the guy that actually Hung the Rat, was too embarrased to say "I dropped the kids off here last night guys" and they sent it in for testing, and it came back 'DNA matches Bob'
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 02:18 PM   #85
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,941
It seems appropriate that a thread about MMM derails to some guy taking a dump behind a bush.
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2008, 04:27 PM   #86
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
In my giant earlier post I referenced a BFRO claim of Bigfoot evidence called the Don Young Thermal Footage. I also noted that to see it you would have to register at Matt Moneymaker's website, thereby making your email address and IP adress available to him. Looking further I found he requests your full name:



I have found the Don Young Thermal Footage (skip to about 1:30 to see the action):


But far better is I found skeptical analysis of it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kpVDmfloHBk

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W1M-gr...eature=related

It's excellent.

So all this money going onto the BFRO and, all these expeditions, all this tech and that is their first ever thermal image.

Wow.
you should have read the other thread on it there. That "thermal" image didnt survive the first viewing.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2008, 07:44 AM   #87
cbartow
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Thumbs down Checking In

Hello all-

I am Chris Bartow, one of the lucky few recently derided by Mr. Moneymaker speaking out about the BFRO pay-to-play expeditions.

I have been a frequent visitor/lurker here at JREF but figured it was time to join and post given the recent spat of personal attacks and threats made by Mr. Moneymaker under the namesake of the BFRO.

Chris
cbartow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2008, 09:22 AM   #88
Old man
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 838
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
I have found the Don Young Thermal Footage (skip to about 1:30 to see the action)
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
That would be a far better guess than Bigfoot, that's for sure. Those links I gave actually make a strong case for a deer.
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
It's a person. The actions of the camera operator are enough for me. It's a hoax, imo.
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that that's a deer. I could clearly identify it in the first few seconds of the film, when the camera operator was panning back and forth over it. I can see it's ears, and at about 0:48 seconds it changes its head orientation from looking straight at the camera to looking to the camera operator's left. It appears to quarter toward the camera with it's head to the camera's right.

I disagree a little with the analysis video, because what I see is a deer that's quite close, and occupies close to a 20% of the vertical dimension of the vid. The thermal image is the animal's breath plume.
Old man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2008, 09:39 AM   #89
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,821
I think it's a human. At 1:45, they quickly move from left to right in a crouched posture with arm(s) hanging down. The form looks human to me. If it's a Bigfoot - it cannot be distinguished from a human.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2008, 10:21 AM   #90
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Originally Posted by cbartow View Post
Hello all-

I am Chris Bartow, one of the lucky few recently derided by Mr. Moneymaker speaking out about the BFRO pay-to-play expeditions.

I have been a frequent visitor/lurker here at JREF but figured it was time to join and post given the recent spat of personal attacks and threats made by Mr. Moneymaker under the namesake of the BFRO.

Chris
Hello, Chris. Welcome to the JREF. I'm looking forward to what you have to share with us.

I linked to Moneymaker's personal attack on Chris and his petiton to get personal information on those associated with him in an earlier post. It was buried in the middle of a huge link filled post so I will link it again here:

Catching more liars: Chris Bartow and ADK Manitou (aka "Jim")

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
One of the purposes of our $300 fee is to filter out the flakes and the transients and the people who are not serious about this subject .... but it spurned the formation of a few little regional groups, copying the BFRO in every way they could, and then using their little message boards to discourage curious lurkers on their forums from attending our trips ... because they didn't want those lurkers to figure out their little groups were just half-assed rip-offs of the BFRO.
What is essentially at issue here is that MM is attacking groups who promote free or low cost expeditions. The truth is that there is absolutely no reason to pay $300 dollars to go on a Bigfoot expedition before expenses. Their is nothing that the BFRO can and has offered that groups such as NESRA don't also offer ynless it is the presence of people like MM himself.

Some may remember NESRA as the group to which JREF poster and Bigfoot enthusiast Luminous/DTK used to belong. NESRA was prominantly featured in the recent MonsterQuest "Bigfoot in New York" episode focusing on alleged Bigfoot activity around Whitehall, NY. Steve Kulls was featured prominantly in that episode who many here will remember from his peripheral involvement in the Georgia Bigfoot hoax. Chris also appeared in the episode and can be seen here (starting around the 3:27 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdXo...eature=related

IMO, while I thought that Steve Kulls was certainly playing to the camera for that episode, I thought Chris as the head of NESRA represented his group quite reasonably and fairly. To me he comes across as the type of Bigfoot enthusiast that recognizes the inherent flaws with Bigfoot evidence thus far but nonetheless is committed to trying to change it.

I personally am not interested in debating Chris on the existence of Bigfoot unless there is some spurious claim by him I am unaware of. I would like to know how Chris feels about Moneymaker's attacks on him his organization and what he feel is the motivation behind them.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6

Last edited by kitakaze; 18th December 2008 at 10:23 AM.
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2008, 05:44 PM   #91
cbartow
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
KK-

Thanks for the interest and attention to this matter.

To be clear, I am not the head of NESRA - but I am one of its elected board members.

Let me also state that I am not speaking on behalf of NESRA here. What I state is for clarification and the opinions that follow are my own and not NESRA's

Also, I believe that there are good, diligent researchers in the BFRO... Some of whom I have had contact with on numerous occasions.

For starters, let me point out a clear delineation on the notion of 'field expeditions'. As KK points out, NESRA expeditions are free... However, only NESRA Full Members are allowed to attend and participate in these expeditions. And there is a membership process and grace period in becoming a Full Member.You can read detail about the types of NESRA membership at teamnesra.net.... But the point is this: we do not allow people we don't know to follow us into the field into remote wilderness environments nor do we provide them with field training and/or entertainment while also attempting to do legitimate field research, reconnaissance and surveillance. Why? It's quite simple... We feel commitment and trust must be established with new members before we share important research locations with them and this is directly tied to our membership process. I say this not to promote NESRA in any way, but to point that the premise of these expeditions is fundamentally different than BFRO expeditions. We also do not use field research outings as a revenue stream.

Mr. Moneymaker said that our group tried to "mimic" their expeditions and was "copying the BFRO in every way they could" and that he "...personally developed EVERY protocol used in the field on these types of expedition, including every protocol used by NESRA."

Those statements are unequivocally false.

As for Mr. Moneymaker's personal attacks on me... I was initially shocked that a fairly mild critical of post over two years old about a specific expedition Mr. Moneymaker coordinated in the Whitehall area in 2005 would yield such a vitriolic attack from him. Beyond that, I found his post about me and related post to attack anti-BFRO message boards sad but somewhat comical. I am not going to discuss the other people mentioned in the thread in which I was attacked, except to say I trust them as fair-minded and even-keeled gentlemen who are not motivated by money where bigfoot field expeditions are concerned.

Reading the attack, a certain word came to mind: Megalomania

Chris
cbartow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2008, 06:07 PM   #92
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Welcome Chris

I can only speak for me and I am for facts, data and truth.

I'm sorry you were attacked and your character was potentially impugned.

I support your efforts and wish you success in your efforts.

If I may be of assistance, let me know but your knowledge and experience is very valuable in finding the truth.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2008, 08:29 AM   #93
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
edited

Last edited by mikeyx; 19th December 2008 at 09:18 AM.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2008, 09:20 AM   #94
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Hi,

I am also a NESRA member...(snip)


I fell down.

Mikeyx, I had no idea. Thanks for the clarification on MM seeking to put you guys in bed with Biscardi.

For anyone who didn't realize Steve Kulls appeared in the MQ episode before he was ostricized from Bigfoot enthusiast community for the GA affair.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2009, 11:55 AM   #95
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,821
Attacked by Bigfoot!!! (Well, by the BFRO) from Skepticblog.


Quote:
First I received a couple of emails from Bigfoot aficionados, of the obscene and anonymous hotmail variety. Surprised, I went back to the old article, checked it over, and verified that it didn’t say anything inflammatory. It did not.

And then I got another email. This time it came from a little too close to home — about two miles away from my house, to be precise — and it said “I’m Matt Moneymaker, head of the BFRO.”

Somehow he interpreted my database article as a deliberate libelous attack against the BFRO. He told me to retract it and publish an apology (I did neither, of course). Simultaneously, and this was kind of entertaining, he kept me posted over the space of two or three days as my article was being discussed in committee. Evidently he and some of his BFRO associates were reviewing evidence in the jury room and passing judgement over me personally; whether I was an instigator, an obsessed anti-Bigfoot nut, just a crank, or what.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2009, 05:16 PM   #96
makaya325
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,325
Thats really cool chris. I once contacted the bfro regarding the accuracy of the faq, and once i began asking skeptical questions regarding the answers to the faq's, they said "just read it", and i kept on saying i did, and they say "no you didnt" and hung up
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2009, 09:09 PM   #97
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Now it seems Meldrum is under attack for saying the Jacobs bear isnt a bigfoot
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread....readid=1994386
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2009, 11:28 PM   #98
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,421
Well, Meldrum has no one to blame but himself there, imo. He opened the door.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 07:23 AM   #99
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, Meldrum has no one to blame but himself there, imo. He opened the door.
It wasnt his fault. "THEY" who work for "THEM" got to him before he could warn us all

From post

>>> Posted: January 11th, 2009 09:04 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-New post-
How do we know the goverment didn't get to Dr. Meldrum and convinced him to change his opinion?

They know it's out there and don't want the public to know because of mass hesteria.

Just my thoughts
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 08:17 AM   #100
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,941
What is Meldrum's official area of expertise? Is he rendering an opinion as bear vs bigfoot as an expert or as a layperson?
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 08:25 AM   #101
Hitch
Muse
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
What is Meldrum's official area of expertise? Is he rendering an opinion as bear vs bigfoot as an expert or as a layperson?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Meldrum
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 08:34 AM   #102
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
What is Meldrum's official area of expertise? Is he rendering an opinion as bear vs bigfoot as an expert or as a layperson?
By degree and position he is an associate professor of anatomy and anthropology.

His specialty is physical anthropology and his specialization is in foot mechanics and he focuses on primates.

None of that qualifies him to know about bears but I could see him offering a legitimate qualified expert opinion as does the Jacobs pictures show evidence of a primate.

As experts often experience, he might not be qualified to tell you what something "is" but he would meet the qualifications to tell you what it is "not" since option 2 is an alleged primate.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 09:16 AM   #103
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Once again, we are experiencing another in a long list of "professional" expert analysis from the self proclaimed leader in ( you guessed it) BIGFOOT science.

This highly professional group of self proclaimed "experts" and "investigators" all put on the tinfoil and plugged into the group hive to stretch skeletons of animals over a picture to determine this was a BF and nothing else.

In the normal world, it would have made better sense to go to the scene and canvass the area for physical evidence ( hair, teeth marks, prints,scat, bent blades of grass or whatever) and put it all together to build a legitimate case for proof this was something other than a bear. ( since one of the pictures clearly shows bears in the same timeframe)

Lets see, the bear experts say its a bear, a leading BF expert says its a bear, bear hunters say its a bear, the evidence on the same gamecam strongly suggests its probably a bear so all of that combined with no physical evidence from the site means its a bigfoot.

I can see where the fearless leader has a vested interest in keeping the kool aid tanks pouring because theres a financial incentive- what I dont understand is the rest.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 03:25 PM   #104
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 17,012
Hesteria can really be ugly ..
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 03:33 PM   #105
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, Meldrum has no one to blame but himself there, imo. He opened the door.

It says more of Monkeymaker than it does Meldrum
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 03:35 PM   #106
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by LONGTABBER PE View Post
Once again, we are experiencing another in a long list of "professional" expert analysis from the self proclaimed leader in ( you guessed it) BIGFOOT science.

This highly professional group of self proclaimed "experts" and "investigators" all put on the tinfoil and plugged into the group hive to stretch skeletons of animals over a picture to determine this was a BF and nothing else.

In the normal world, it would have made better sense to go to the scene and canvass the area for physical evidence ( hair, teeth marks, prints,scat, bent blades of grass or whatever) and put it all together to build a legitimate case for proof this was something other than a bear. ( since one of the pictures clearly shows bears in the same timeframe)

Lets see, the bear experts say its a bear, a leading BF expert says its a bear, bear hunters say its a bear, the evidence on the same gamecam strongly suggests its probably a bear so all of that combined with no physical evidence from the site means its a bigfoot.

I can see where the fearless leader has a vested interest in keeping the kool aid tanks pouring because theres a financial incentive- what I dont understand is the rest.
B is for bear, as in, it's a freakin bear and any half wit can see it is.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 05:03 PM   #107
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
It says more of Monkeymaker than it does Meldrum
In this case yes but Meldrum has his own problems
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 09:09 PM   #108
Judaculla
Student
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
Not dead yet

I come out at least once a year to look for my shadow. I'm not dead yet, but this winter is going to be a long one.

As many of you know, I am a former BFRO member. I've also been on one expedition (didn't pay as a member). Here is an old BFF post of mine about BFRO expeditions that I made after exiting the BFRO.

Quote:
If folks are wondering whether they should go on a BFRO expedition or not, it's entirely up to them. Here are the positives that even I see in the expeditions.

Most people on them have a good time--certainly not all, but most do. The few folks who have a bad time on these trips are in the minority.

You get to meet people who are just as interested in the subject as you are, and you get to talk about it openly. Where do you get to do that back at home?

You will meet Matt and BFRO members who can share their experiences and investigative techniques. All of them are pretty friendly, including Matt. You will form friendships with members and participants, and might even do more research with the people you like after the expedition is over. Those friendships may be long-lasting (as they have been for many). Put a bunch of strangers together with a common goal and they bond. That's what people do.

If Matt can arrange it, he will get a BFRO report submitter (i.e. a witness) to join the expedition and take you to the spot of their encounter. You'll hear a great story, and the word "story" doesn't mean I think it's BS.

The expeditions are typically in a place that is pleasant on the eyes and has the comforts of civilization close at hand. That's not a knock on location selection. If you can pick a place with toilets and hot showers, and stores within an easy drive, that's great. You don't stay in base camp when looking for these animals, so why not sleep and eat in a place that doesn't require lugging gear on your back for miles?

You'll stay up late sitting around for a stakeout, walk until you can't walk anymore, and drive all over kingdom come. You will cover a lot of ground as a group. Because participants are at various stages of fitness, the group splits up and everyone does what they are able to do.

Matt has guaranteed that you will at least hear vocals (at least that was up on the website at one point). When people go on BFRO expeditions, they report activity that they sincerely believe is indicative of sasquatches. That happens on many expeditions. Whether you buy what they are telling you or not is up to you. Without hard evidence to examine, everything is subject to interpretation. I have seen no indications of hoaxing, and I don't suspect Matt would or could do that.

If all the above makes it worth it to you, then go and don't let anyone stop you. It's your money. You will have a good time.

Negatives? Well, I've already addressed those ad nauseum both here and in other threads.

Caveat emptor.
I'll add a summary of my experiences on the expedition.

Quote:
FWIW, I saw a couple of possible prints (separate), but that doesn't mean anything. I can find indentations in the ground in my local county park that look "possible". Others were far more certain of one of my "prints" than I was.

I did not experience any rockthrowing, eyeshine, or vocalizations. I didn't experience anything that couldn't be explained away. If it could be something else, I choose to believe it is most likely something else. I did see a lot of folks who wanted to believe, one participant could not walk 50 feet without finding a spot that he thought was a track. There were some folks who were less easily swayed.

I wasn't there for the purported rock-throwing incident near SF. I heard normal sounds regularly in the river. Rivers make noise, either by fish, beaver, or all by themselves (water was moving pretty fast).

Last edited by Judaculla; 11th January 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Judaculla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 10:05 PM   #109
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 17,012
Glad you stopped by .. Always good to hear from you .

Skeptical Greg
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 11:12 PM   #110
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,421
You can get a group of friends together and have fun in the woods looking for BF sign, without paying a huckster...

Heck, I might even do that. Camping in the woods is fun, anyway.

The JREF bigfoot expedition...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2009, 11:19 PM   #111
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,421
It is my recollection that MM is correct and that Meldrum initially wavered towards sasquatch regarding the Jacobs photos. That's what I meant about Meldrum having only himself to blame.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2009, 08:25 PM   #112
makaya325
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,325
Lt, meldrum was confident it was a bear
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2009, 08:37 PM   #113
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Source, please.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2009, 08:38 PM   #114
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
It is my recollection that MM is correct and that Meldrum initially wavered towards sasquatch regarding the Jacobs photos. That's what I meant about Meldrum having only himself to blame.
Remember where you heard that?
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2009, 09:23 PM   #115
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,421
“I was interviewed by Linda Moulton Howe as I looked at the pictures for the first time. I indicated that there were aspects that pointed to a bear, while some features looked rather unusual, even ape-like, e.g. the appearance of the limb proportions. The apparent shape and orientation of the shoulder blades, the length of the feet, and the posture however, seemed to point to bear. Some of the images posted on the internet appear to confirm the bear identification.”
Jeff Meldrum
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 13th January 2009 at 09:33 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2009, 09:29 PM   #116
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,421
From Howe's interview:

Quote:
When I asked Prof. Meldrum about the infrared images, beginning with what BFRO calls Photograph 1 of an unidentified primate, Prof. Meldrum said, It's intriguing. His first thoughts were that the limb proportions in the photograph could NOT be a bear because they are so long. But he qualified that the infrared images might be a black bear that followed the two cubs a half hour earlier.
We also talked about the fact that the evolution of Sasquatch/Bigfoot from birth to adulthood is not known. Dr. Meldrum said it's possible that the young primates could have proportions more similar to a chimpanzee, as might be the case in these infrared images. That issue was provoked by the size of the feet in the infrared photographs, which are smaller in proportion to the legs than the very large feet on full grown adult Sasquatch.
Prof. Meldrum said the characteristics he uses to distinguish a human track from a Sasquatch track are:

- The Sasquatch footprints don't show arches like human feet do.

- Sasquatch prints are much wider.

- Sasquatch toe prints are much longer.

- Sasquatch heel prints are much wider than humans, particularly in contrast to the remainder of the foot.

Prof. Meldrum acknowledged that maybe some of those features don't manifest themselves until the Sasquatch individual has grown up and obtained a much greater bulk and weight (as an adult).

Finally, Prof. Meldrum stressed as Matthew Moneymaker says - that Sasquatch's apparent strategy is to avoid human contact whenever possible, which is why we don't know much about the mysterious creatures, whether young or adult.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 13th January 2009 at 09:32 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2009, 10:03 AM   #117
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Things that just make you sit back and wonder

>>>Sorry, I am no way trying to tease or be a "jerk".......I have seen my share of Squacthes and I have seen bear and primates...I am not an expert but...I know the difference in the 3..................also we just don't take the photo and go "yeaup thats it" we investigate and there was an investigation...but when you have a room full of veteran investigators and one person that has seen them almost his whole life and its 100% the same answer then ....what else can you say.........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T. Hudson
BFRO Field Investigations


http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread....age=12#4289689
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2009, 02:56 AM   #118
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
This post may belong most appropriately in a thread more based on Bigfoot tracks in particular or even a new thread. In fact, without a doubt this post could be very appropriately placed in the thread "Fabricating Bigfoot Evidence -Is It Incompetence Or Deception". However, as it coming from the BFRO and is more of their silliness, I feel it is best placed here. There is also the fact that I can be sure that BFRO president Matt Moneymaker will be sure not to miss it here.

This post is regarding the BFRO's front page claims regarding Bigfoot snow tracks for the winter of 2008/2009. First I will provide a link to their main page on the subject:

http://bfro.net/news/SnowTracks/index.asp

The question of what Bigfoot does during the winter in northern latitudes is one that often is raised in the discussion of the plausibility of Bigfoot existing as described by Bigfoot enthusiasts. Most recently the issue was discussed at length between Vortigern99 and myself in which Bigfoot entering a kind of torpor was suggested. The conclusion of that part of the discussion by Vort and myself was that Bigfoot denning and entering hibernation or torpor was not a realistic answer for Bigfoot dealing with northern winters and its daily caloric needs while escaping classification.

Bigfoot snowtracks have often been discussed among Bigfoot skeptics at the JREF. From various methods of creating them to the many ways of misidentifying the impressions of known animals we have looked at the issue in great detail. Never in a single instance have we seen any case which posed any significant challenge to explain by means not including a massive bipedal non-human primate roaming winter landscapes and eluding modern science.

In the above link to the BFRO they present ten cases of alleged sasquatch snow tracks, one of which they have identified as being fake. It is my contention that in all other cases they are either misidentified or faked. I think in most cases misidentification is the most likely answer. I will even go as far as to suggest that it is no problem for the BFRO to reach the same conclusion but they do not do so in the interest of generating more "Bigfoot" evidence and thereby bring a greater sense of legitimacy to their endeavours.

Let's start with some quotes from that page regarding Bigfoot migration and hibernation meant to clarify the BFRO's position on the subjects.

Migration:

Originally Posted by BFRO
The Relevance to Migration

Many people ask and wonder whether these animals migrate with the seasons, moving from the northern latitudes to the southern latitudes to avoid the snowy winters. No evidence, annecdotal or otherwise, suggests this pattern of seasonal migration. Whereas photos of snow tracks in the northern latitudes deep into winter suggest that the populations in those latitudes remain there throughout the year.

There is annecdotal data to suggest a pattern of elevation migration with the seasons in mountainous regions, but elevation migration would usually not take them out of the same county, or cluster of counties.
Hibernation:

Originally Posted by BFRO
The Relevance to Hibernation

Many people ask and wonder whether they hibernate during the winter in northern latitudes, like bears. There has never been any evidence, annecdotal or otherwise, to suggest they hibernate through the winter. Whereas photos of snow tracks in the northern latitudes deep into winter, along with dozens of other similar track finds in the past, in the snow, that were not photographed, suggest they do not hibernate like bears.
So here we have the BFRO forwarding the concept of a massive North American mammal that unlike wolverines remain in relatively limited ranges and unlike bears do not den and enter a state torpor in the winter of northern latitudes. I think it takes very little critical thinking to realize that such conditions inevitably lead to situations where Bigfoot eluding identification is unlikely in the extreme. Can a Bigfoot scrounge 12,000 kcal/day in Wisconsin during the winter and not be discovered? I say not, nope, nuh-uh.

In following posts I will address each of the cases the BFRO lists individually but for now will quote their commentary on some of the most notable and discussion of the criteria for discerning what qualifies as sasquatch snow tracks (bolding and italics mine):

Originally Posted by BFRO
Canadians and Americans need to become familiar with authentic sasquatch snow tracks, especially while there is still snow on the ground in many parts of the continent. With this in mind, the decision was made to release a gallery of track photos from recent weeks before many more details and analyses could be accumulated. Some initial assumptions may be corrected in time regarding some of these track finds.

A few issues naturally arise when presenting a collection of snow tracks photos: 1) How can we be so sure they not all fakes? 2) How can we be sure they are not misidentified animal tracks or misidentified human tracks? 3) What is significance of snow tracks of sasquatches?

Though we cannot be sure that all of them are authentic sasquatch tracks, we are indeed very confident that some of them are authentic sasquatch tracks. Along with the tracks that we strongly suspect are authentic, we've also included some images that may not show authentic tracks, to show some of the differences. For example, there is a set of photos taken north of Seattle (look for the red icon on the map), showing tracks that were faked. The tracks found in Ontario, Canada (shown with the yellow icon) are still undetermined because of how much they were degraded, but they may be the impressions of a rabbit hopping through the snow. The tracks found in North Dakota may be existing compressions of snow that were modified to look like a large foot -- partially faked.

The photos did not all come from one source. Some of the tracks were found by our own investigators in the field. Others came from random people. The photos from Wisconsin were taken two days after a daylight road-crossing sighting at that spot. We are very confident in those tracks, and well as the tracks from SE OH and those from Puget Sound, Washington. Those three can be regarded as standards to which all others can be compared.
For now I'm going to start with a preliminary examination of the Wisconsin impressions. I call them impressions rather than tracks to distinguish the difference between the sign made by an animal's foot and those of an animal's entire body bounding through snow. The Wisconsin photo is the first shown on the above BFRO link and has the following description under it (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by BFRO
This photo from Wisconisn continues to astound people. The snow was 18 inches deep. The larger tracks on the right were not made by a coyote or rabbit leaping through the snow. The tracks were made by a large sasquatch stepping through the snow, and stepping over the fence in the process. The sasquatch tracks intersect with a line of deer tracks. The sasquatch was probably trying to catch up to the deer. These Wisconsin photos show what many witnesses have described in the past -- a tall sasquatch easily stepping over a barbed wire fence without even slowing down. The sasquatch that made these tracks is likely 8-9 feet tall. Click the image for more information and to find a larger version.
Here is a link to the the southeast Wisconsin page:

http://bfro.net/news/SnowTracks/WI-tab.asp

What we see here is two lines of impressions in the snow. One has been attributed to a deer while the other has been unequivocally attirbuted to Bigfoot. Here is a quote from the top of the Wisconsin tracks page (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by BFRO
These photos from southeast Wisconsin were taken on February 4th and 5th. A motorist spotted an apparent sasquatch crossing a rural road at 9 AM on February 2, 2009. He described a huge "jet black" bipedal animal. The photos were taken two days later when he and others returned to the area.

Other tracks were found and photographed 5 miles away the next day. Some of the tracks are made by known animals. Photos seven (7) and eight (8) apparently show impressions of a coyote leaping through the snow, but those were at a different location than the impressions shown in one (1) and two (2). Those first three photos were not made by a coyote or rabbit bounding through the snow.

The fence in photos one, two and three is 3 feet high. The squares in the fence are 6'' square. The snow is approximately 20'' deep at the fence.

In addition to the bipedal tracks there were many deer, turkey and small game tracks in the area.
The BFRO's logic regarding these tracks that they have confidently labeled Bigfoot is that the Bigfoot was following a deer in what we can assume was a predatory behaviour. How have they done this? Why would a coyote not find and approach such tracks or even a rabbit? And hello, Mary. Is a giant top heavy bipedal ape fast enough to chase down a deer in snow??? The BFRO has ruled out coyote and rabbit as a source for the impressions. Here it is very important to note that in typical BFRO fashion, they have made it clear that detailed analyses have yet to be carried out. They give the excuse that eliciting further possible sasquatch snow tracks from readers is the reason for such impetus. This effectively negates the critical examination process in favour of accumulating further similar data. This is a ridiculousy flawed practice that basically allows them to sidestep scientific rigour and create the impression of having solid data set of winter Bigfoot evidence. They essentially throw the information out as Bigfoot evidence and leave it to heavily moderated discussion on their own Bigfoot forum to deal with further examination. A discussion monitored and moderated by those who have a vested interest in protecting the organization's proclamations of Bigfoot.

That thread is here:

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread....readid=2026290

One very important aspect of discerning a line of impressions left by an animals bound through snow is that they are in basically straight lines and defined by the forward movements of the quadrapedal animal's jumping locomotion. Conveniently for them and to the facepalm reaction of those people not so desperate with confirmation bias is this apparently telltale signature of Bigfoot in the snow detailed in the second photo on the main snow track page from Pudget Sound, Washington (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by BFRO
Authentic sasquatch tracks found by Derek Randles in the Puget Sound region of western Washington State, showing the classic long stride "high-wire" pattern. Click the image for more information.
BFRO, why do you publish such goddamn stupid @#$%? Do you ever get brain freeze from the raging cognitive dissonance or is it always a warm and fuzzy feeling?

In the upcoming posts I will make on the subject and more of the individual claims I will detail more of what I see as flailingly uncritical thinking. For now I will offer one further quote from the main snow track page that I think illustrates what I think of as BFRO facepalm behaviour (bolding mine... oh wait, the whole thing is fall-down stupid again):

Originally Posted by BFRO
Finding authentic sasquatch tracks in the snow is a unique, breathtaking experience. If you are ever so lucky, the scene will make your hair stand on end, as if your whole body knows that you cannot get away from this animal if it pursues you. Full grown sasquatches are large, swift, powerful apes that can easily overtake you and subdue you if they are so inclined. The fact that they don't do this (have only been known to do this in few cases where people have shot at them), should provide some comfort to people who may come across these types of tracks in remote areas.

Sasquatches won't hurt you or your children, even though they could, provided that you do not shoot at them. If you shoot guns at them, all bets are off in terms of how they might respond.
There it is, people. Finding the impressions of small to medium sized mammals jumping through snow that you think are made by the Boss of the Woods will set you in awe. It will lay you low. You will know that they can squish you like a bug. Don't worry about this. They only do this when you try to shoot one and get real proof. This has happened but not often, OK, so don't worry about spending $300 to come with us. We don't allow guns. We just don't want anybody getting shot. Though there has never been a single verified case of sasquatch inflicted injury, we know where the trouble is. Your kids are safe.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6

Last edited by kitakaze; 13th April 2009 at 03:02 AM.
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2009, 07:01 AM   #119
desertyeti
Muse
 
desertyeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 835
Heh!
First an elk lay is a BF rolling in mud.
Now bounding deer impressions are BF running throught the snow.
Those wiley apemen!
Always disguising themselves as deer and other ungulates.
Crafty buggers!
__________________
"He is a sick, demented yeti."

They only poo in other dimensions!
desertyeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2009, 11:28 AM   #120
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 25,322
What is the BFRO policy on bringing along a few cc's of animal trank and giving Squatch a nap? *he asks innocently, as if he couldn't guess...*
__________________
A møøse ønce bit my sister
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.