IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags BFRO , bigfoot , matt moneymaker , sasquatch

Old 9th April 2014, 09:14 AM   #281
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
I'm not talking about making a report to your friendly neighborhood BFRO or SRA site, I'm talking about telling your poker buddies or the members of your church. If you actually think that folks don't get ridiculed, then try it yourself. Do your own experiment and see what it's like. Create a new user on this site and post something and see how it's accepted.
You will be banned.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 09:46 AM   #282
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
^^ This site is not the same thing as your poker buddies or the members of your church. Not a very apt comparison.

I think the rewards for lying about bigfoot don't come from your poker buddies or your church members. They come from the bigfoot community. And the liars know this. Finding Bigfoot ( as alluded to by Shrike) shows us that there is not really a shortage of folks looking to talk lay claim to a bigfoot sighting. This is done weekly on national tv and in front of a town hall full of community members. Some of whom must surely be church members or maybe even poker buddies.

No, I do not buy the noble martyrdom of the poor bigfoot witness who just needs to unburden the soul to the ridicule of the world. That is BS.
Hmm, I must be doing it wrong because I'm obviously missing out on these rewards you speak of.
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 09:48 AM   #283
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
You will be banned.
Curses! You've stumbled across my evil plan to trick all the members of the JREF forum into being banned and I will be able to take over the world. And I would have gotten away with it if it we're for you meddling kids!

Seriously though. Wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble. Just trying to make a point. Sorry.
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 11:24 AM   #284
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Hmm, I must be doing it wrong because I'm obviously missing out on these rewards you speak of.

Really? You're a member at the BFF as well as here. You don't find that having your own sighting is a valuable currency there? It certainly is from what I can tell. You belong to a bigfoot org, SRA I believe, I can't imagine your alleged sighting goes over poorly with that lot either.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 12:43 PM   #285
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Really? You're a member at the BFF as well as here. You don't find that having your own sighting is a valuable currency there? It certainly is from what I can tell. You belong to a bigfoot org, SRA I believe, I can't imagine your alleged sighting goes over poorly with that lot either.
No, it's doesn't go over poorly, but it doesn't do anything for me either. The BFF is a just another faceless forum with a wide variety of personalities and opinions, just like here.

The SRA is different because it's a group of people I have come to know over the years but my story doesn't hold me in a higher regard than those who haven't had experiences.

The currency, as you call it, in the community does not come from a sighting, because that is usually random and ephemeral. It does come to those with the brass monkeys that go out into the field to learn as much as possible about these enigmas.
Old 9th April 2014, 01:06 PM   #286
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The currency, as you call it, in the community does not come from a sighting, because that is usually random and ephemeral. It does come to those with the brass monkeys that go out into the field to learn as much as possible about these enigmas.
This is self-congratulation of course. And I suppose you'll garner kudos from your fellow researchers as well.

I would like to know what you're learning about these enigmas. Specifically, what sort of knowledge are you gaining about something that's never been reliably observed? Anywhere. It's all campfire story and no monkey as far as that goes. Further, the brass monkeys seemingly belong to those who blatantly go on and on about "boogers" and "Big Reds" and bigfoot junior jumping on the trampoline. Takes big ones to try and pass this crap off.

What sort of brass monkeys do you need to camp on someone's second-growth back 120?

ETA: Sorry if this seems a little harsh but the brass monkey field work bit is overdone in the bigfoot community.

Last edited by Resume; 9th April 2014 at 01:12 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 01:15 PM   #287
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

NL, don't you feel any personal responsibility to inform law enforcement that there are 9 foot apes in the woods? There could have been people killed or kidnapped by them. That is a major creature and surely lethal.

The authorities could find the lair of the Bigfoots and see if they killed or captured any people. It seems irresponsible to not relentlessly petition authorities to acknowledge and to act.
Old 9th April 2014, 01:58 PM   #288
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
NL, don't you feel any personal responsibility to inform law enforcement that there are 9 foot apes in the woods? There could have been people killed or kidnapped by them. That is a major creature and surely lethal.

The authorities could find the lair of the Bigfoots and see if they killed or captured any people. It seems irresponsible to not relentlessly petition authorities to acknowledge and to act.
I thought we had gotten past the condescension and belittlement, guess I was wrong.
Old 9th April 2014, 02:13 PM   #289
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So no call to the police.

If you saw a tiger would you call the police?
Old 9th April 2014, 02:24 PM   #290
rockinkt
Master Poster

I thought we had gotten past the condescension and belittlement, guess I was wrong.

Game, set, and match to William Parcher.

Go forth and lie no more Northern Lights.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 9th April 2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: removed last sentence.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 03:14 PM   #291
The Shrike
Philosopher

It does come to those with the brass monkeys that go out into the field to learn as much as possible about these enigmas.
Assuming "brass monkeys" is slang for testicles and "testicles" is slang for some approximation of manliness, then you have just contradicted yourself and illustrated my point. Your willingness to participate in bigfootery makes you more of a man in the eyes of your social set, i.e., the SRA, then the people who do not share in that game. What greater ego-stroke could there be for a man than to be thought of as extra-manly?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 03:20 PM   #292
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Assuming "brass monkeys" is slang for testicles and "testicles" is slang for some approximation of manliness, then you have just contradicted yourself and illustrated my point. Your willingness to participate in bigfootery makes you more of a man in the eyes of your social set, i.e., the SRA, then the people who do not share in that game. What greater ego-stroke could there be for a man than to be thought of as extra-manly?
I just want to know what he's learning about a creature he's only seen (allegedly) via a sketchy thermal.

Last edited by Resume; 9th April 2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: clarity
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 03:26 PM   #293
rockinkt
Master Poster

Most importantly - Northern Lights has this illusion about himself!
Talk about stroking your own ego!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 06:41 PM   #294
Jodie
Philosopher

I can't think of anything more tedious and boring than sitting out in the woods waiting on something to happen. The fact that you expect bigfoot would predispose you to interpreting bigfoot with every pine cone falling from a tree, every fox call, every woodpecker knocking on wood.....there just comes a time when you have to question, "Where's the poop?" I mean has anyone ever claimed to hear a bigfoot fart? If they eat that much vegetation it's bound to happen.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2014, 08:14 PM   #295
captain koolaid
Muse

Maybe because your stories are lame-o. Come on, dude. They need to be juicy. Anybody can tell yarns about blobby whatsamajiggers and feeling faint. Work in some infrasound zapping, glowing red eyes, pig throwing, rock attacks and stuff. Bared fangs and roaring always goes over well. To stand out from the also rans you gotta have some action.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 06:16 AM   #296
Drewbot
Philosopher

Tool Use!! Throw in Tool Use!!
They love the tool use.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 08:54 AM   #297
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I just want to know what he's learning about a creature he's only seen (allegedly) via a sketchy thermal.
Let me guess how this will transpire. I will say something like "we know they store food for the winter." and you'll say "how do you know that?" and I'll say "because we've found a cache of corn in a densely wooded region that was almost 6 feet high", and you'll say "BS", and round and round we'll go. Sound about right?

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Most importantly - Northern Lights has this illusion about himself!
Talk about stroking your own ego!
Guilty as charged.

Originally Posted by captain koolaid View Post
Maybe because your stories are lame-o. Come on, dude. They need to be juicy. Anybody can tell yarns about blobby whatsamajiggers and feeling faint. Work in some infrasound zapping, glowing red eyes, pig throwing, rock attacks and stuff. Bared fangs and roaring always goes over well. To stand out from the also rans you gotta have some action.
I guess if I were making this stuff up, then it would be more titillating, but just passing along what I have witnessed.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:01 AM   #298
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Game, set, and match to William Parcher.

Go forth and lie no more Northern Lights.
Hmmm, not sure why I was declared a liar and loser. Haven't been lying and didn't know we were playing a game.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:03 AM   #299
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"because we've found a cache of corn in a densely wooded region that was almost 6 feet high"
Look for poop full of undigested dried corn and it will lead you to a malnourished Bigfoot. Look for his private lair too because it will be very close to his dried corn pantry.

Quote:
I guess if I were making this stuff up, then it would be more titillating, but just passing along what I have witnessed.
If Roger Patterson was making it up he would have made it more titillating by telling people he tracked Patty for 3.5 miles when he didn't actually do that. So I guess you are right.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:12 AM   #300
Northern Lights
Muse

Sorry about being a bit snippy with post 288, was dealing with some personal stuff last night.

No, I didn't call the police but we have been in contact with our local DNR officer and have had many conversations as to why we're out there and what we are doing. They are mildly amused but have only asked to be informed when we intend to be in the area and have no interest in our findings.

Regarding the tiger, not sure what I would do if I saw one. I would probably call 911.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:12 AM   #301
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Let me guess how this will transpire. I will say something like "we know they store food for the winter." and you'll say "how do you know that?" and I'll say "because we've found a cache of corn in a densely wooded region that was almost 6 feet high", and you'll say "BS", and round and round we'll go. Sound about right?
No, I'd say someone was caching corn to bait deer. Or to make shine.

When I was very young, some of my friends would steal corn from a small truck farm in the Chicago suburbs. They'd cache it in a small woods we called "Little Michigan" and find that it went to rot quickly.

And how about some homeless hobos, or just plain ordinary bums?

Last edited by Resume; 10th April 2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:17 AM   #302
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Or red squirrels?
Old 10th April 2014, 09:20 AM   #303
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Regarding the tiger, not sure what I would do if I saw one. I would probably call 911.
Calling the police would result in the tiger eventually being found. Calling the police will do the same for Bigfoot.

Bigfooters seem to try everything except the one thing that ought to work very well to get a Bigfoot. They never call the police!
Old 10th April 2014, 09:23 AM   #304
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Imagine the resources that law enforcement has at their disposal to capture or contain a 9 foot ape. They are going to have that thing and all of its children in a matter of hours.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:45 AM   #305
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Should be a well-defined trail leading to a food cache, which would mean foot prints. And scat, (does a bigfoot **** in the woods? Of course, where else would it?) and hair.
Old 10th April 2014, 01:34 PM   #306
comncents
Critical Thinker

How about a picture of a 6 foot tall pile of corn to start??? Does the SRA have game cams??? Seems like a perfect place for a clear picture. Or do they just cache it and never come back? Maybe get one of those "electronic perimeter thingys "like Josh Gates on Destination Truth. Once it goes off, the SRA can close in. Or just call in Josh.

"didn't know we were playing a game." I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one.
comncents is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 01:49 PM   #307
George 152
Philosopher

Originally Posted by comncents View Post
How about a picture of a 6 foot tall pile of corn to start??? Does the SRA have game cams??? Seems like a perfect place for a clear picture. Or do they just cache it and never come back? Maybe get one of those "electronic perimeter thingys "like Josh Gates on Destination Truth. Once it goes off, the SRA can close in. Or just call in Josh.

"didn't know we were playing a game." I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one.
An idea there that wont be taken up by any bf claimant.
Denial aint just a river in Egypt
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 02:05 PM   #308
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The 9 foot apes live close to a farm and are stealing great quantities of corn? Again if you or the farmer get the police involved Bigfoot will be confirmed to exist and the stealing will be stopped quickly.

That's a huge pile of corn and the 9 footers must have made a lot of trips back and forth to where they stole it from.
Old 10th April 2014, 02:10 PM   #309
tsig
a carbon based life-form

That means that bigfoot field researchers are triple nutters!
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 02:44 PM   #310
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is what a 9 footer looks like. John Cartwright also insisted that he saw one of these and he never called the police either. Now we have them in Minnesota and claims of stealing corn. No police called.

You really have to question the judgment of such a person and ask if this person is safe to have around. Not reporting such a creature to law enforcement sorta makes you a menace to society.

Old 10th April 2014, 02:53 PM   #311
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So NL, you've seen these 9 footers twice with thermal goggles. All you (or your buddies) have to do is call the police and then hand them the goggles. "See there it is just like I said. A 9 foot apeman beast."

The cop is going to see it too and he'll make a call or two. They won't need your goggles because they and SWAT have even better ones. They might put a chopper up with FLIR.

The 9 footer would be in custody (dead or alive) before sunrise. If any others are around they will get those too.
Old 10th April 2014, 03:11 PM   #312
GT/CS
Illuminator

Ah yes, but that's exactly why they don't make reports to the police, they don't want bigfoot harmed or killed.
Old 10th April 2014, 03:56 PM   #313
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

NL,

You might want to remind the landowner that deer-baiting is illegal in MN:
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/reg.../full_regs.pdf
Page 71, specifically.
Old 10th April 2014, 04:10 PM   #314
eerok
Quixoticist

Northern Lights, I have to say that I'm rather more skeptical of sightings from organized bigfoot group events, because the possibility of hoaxing is increased by a huge amount. The rubes are carefully disarmed ("no kill" donchaknow), and any clown can jump out from behind a bush to provide a thermal for you (a thermal is just the new blobsquatch... you don't get enough detail to distinguish between any shape that's roughly humanoid). What a joke.

I know that's all you've got, but I'm sorry, you've got nothing. If you exclude shaking down the rubes, no other bigfoot event has anything, either.

The number of sightings in these areas only make it more ridiculous. If you're not in on this scam, I can only encourage you to stop being a victim.
Old 10th April 2014, 06:00 PM   #315
xblade
Critical Thinker

And rightfully so. How do you know how the corn got there if you didn't see who or what put it there? Maybe it was aliens storing corn for the long trip home.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 06:09 PM   #316
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I just thought of a money making opportunity for NL. He could mix himself up a batch of shine from his cache of corn. He could call it Monkeyshine Moonshine.

No charge, NL.

Since no one has completely dismissed your corn cache story, but merely come up with explanations for it, and recommendations as to what might be done with it, I guess your brief career as a psychic is over.
Originally Posted by Northern Lights

Last edited by Resume; 10th April 2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10th April 2014, 07:29 PM   #317
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

...You really have to question the judgment of such a person and ask if this person is safe to have around. Not reporting such a creature to law enforcement sorta makes you a menace to society.
So funny because it's so true.

"Whatta you in for?"
"90 days for not calling 1-800-BIGFOOT."
"Cool."

I would also say that particular Bigfoot/man comparison graphic shows the absurdity so well as to literally prove in itself (using The Notion of Obviousness) there's no way on Earth an actual beast like that truly exists. And as further solid, scientific proof of that (using the Meldrum Method™), I don't remember reading any Bigfoot reports where the first thing the "witness" did after seeing one was **** HIS PANTS! 'Cause if they're encountering real live beasts like that one, there's a lot of people ******** their pants first thing.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 07:58 PM   #318
captain koolaid
Muse

...I guess if I were making this stuff up, then it would be more titillating, but just passing along what I have witnessed.

Well, it's not much and pretty boring. You should witness more. I like Drew's suggestion... tool use. That's cool. But, take it up a notch. I reckon you should witness bigfoot brandishing a chainsaw. Bam! Now, there's a bigfoot encounter. You gotta have your life in the balance, dude.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 08:06 PM   #319
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If there were an adult male gorilla stealing your corn, you'd call the police.

The police would investigate, and call some experts from the local zoo or university.

They would all go out there, and since you are telling the truth, it would be readily apparent that there is indeed a gorilla loose in the woods. There would be no doubt just from the tracks and other sign.

Since a gorilla wandering around the woods is dangerous, particularly one that has learned to get food from people, a great effort would be made to capture the gorilla.

It would be captured and taken care of, of course.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2014, 09:18 PM   #320
Iamme
Philosopher

So NL, you've seen these 9 footers twice with thermal goggles. All you (or your buddies) have to do is call the police and then hand them the goggles. "See there it is just like I said. A 9 foot apeman beast."

The cop is going to see it too and he'll make a call or two. They won't need your goggles because they and SWAT have even better ones. They might put a chopper up with FLIR.

The 9 footer would be in custody (dead or alive) before sunrise. If any others are around they will get those too.
In reality, wouldn`t the police answering the phone say they dont have the manpower and resources for such stuff, then politely dismiss you, hangup, then giggle with their fellow officers how some guy one pickle short called in about seeing a giant bigfoot?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal