IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st February 2021, 11:14 PM   #41
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
You did specify who'd been re-awakened/restarted, hence alive...

Not restarted would be dead, which is the terminal, final, not coming back from one.

If someone survives, then they didn't, by definition, die. Unless we are going to re-define the word "die", in which case this sort of discussion becomes even more pointless than it already is.
I was just joking with the "911 transcript".

It is a difficult question though to name the condition I described. To me the closest acceptable term according to the definition may be "Clinically dead" yet there it is again, the word "dead". Perhaps "Clinically nonfunctioning" would be closer to describe the condition in which the body processes cease to function for whatever period of time prior to resuscitation. Yep it's a headscratcher.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:30 AM   #42
Carrot Flower King
Muse

"Clinically nonfunctioning" sounds good.
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 12:49 AM   #43
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
"Clinically nonfunctioning" sounds good.

Pining for the fjords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4th February 2021, 07:51 AM   #44
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shuca View Post
J<snip>
Someone could have searched old newspapers between the first and second sitting (10 days difference) and give more info on “Jensen” that is a common Danish surname. Obituary contains all the needed info that medium “channelled”.

Original report can be found in “A Perfect Case? Emil Jensen in the mediumship of Indridi Indridason. The fire in Copenhagen on November 24th, 1905 and the discovery of Jensen´s identity. Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research, 59 (223), 195-223.”

If this is a perfect case it has a lot of holes in it… I just wonder how many holes are there in other examples reported in the documentary.
So if one has a common name, anyone channelling you after death is clearly a fake. Might be a good idea to change your name to Jehosophat Arthbuthnot-Griffington before dying, just in case you want to contact your loved once via seance after death.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 12:36 PM   #45
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
So if one has a common name, anyone channelling you after death is clearly a fake. Might be a good idea to change your name to Jehosophat Arthbuthnot-Griffington before dying, just in case you want to contact your loved once via seance after death.
Or like Houdini's dead mother learn to speak English after you die.
Old 6th February 2021, 01:57 PM   #46
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Or like Houdini's dead mother learn to speak English after you die.

Well English is the favourite language of Jesus I have been told*, so perhaps it is taught to the deceased as a compulsory subject.

* My nephew's wife told of her experiences when Jesus spoke to her before she met my nephew and learned the language: "I know it was Jesus speaking to me but I could not understand Him as I couldn't understand English."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal