IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th February 2021, 12:39 PM   #1
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Another million dollar prize for proof of life after dreath.

read://https_www.folkspaper.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.folkspaper.com%2Ftopic%2Fla s-vegas-millionaire-promises-1-million-to-anyone-who-can-provide-evidence-of-afterlife-5713498392756224.html

He is offering one million dollars for anyone proving that life after death is possible. Sound familiar?
Old 9th February 2021, 02:03 PM   #2
Chanakya

That's very cool. (I'll read your link, and nose around some more, when I'm back on my computer. Reading from my phone now.)

Pity the JREF MDC got scrapped. Great bang for your buck -- especially since we know that buck will never have to be paid (albeit it will need to be blocked I guess).
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 04:53 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I'm not convinced there's life before death.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 05:54 PM   #4
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm not convinced there's life before death.
You are literally a (discworld) troll.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 9th February 2021 at 05:55 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 10:13 AM   #5
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Shirley one of those "I was dead for 20 minutes!" types can get in sharpish and claim the money? I mean they seem fond enough of shouting about having been dead'n'that.

Go for it mateys!
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 10:21 AM   #6
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

Not really a skeptics prize. He's convinced life after death exists and just wants some proof of it. Sounds like it would be open to abuse by deceitful parties.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 11:39 AM   #7
Chanakya

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
read://https_www.folkspaper.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.folkspaper.com%2Ftopic%2Fla s-vegas-millionaire-promises-1-million-to-anyone-who-can-provide-evidence-of-afterlife-5713498392756224.html

He is offering one million dollars for anyone proving that life after death is possible. Sound familiar?

Just checked this out. And, actually, seems kind of interesting. Not quite Randi's-MDC interesting, but interesting nevertheless. An old rich man starts wondering seriously if there's compelling evidence for an afterlife, and decides to throw what is to him chump change to see if something comes out of it. What's to lose?

He seems to be looking for real evidence. Their website does say that woo woo faith based scriptural mumbo jumbo won't do. So like I said, what's to lose? If their "competition" generates widespread enough interest, this time and also going forward, and if they publish these essays, well then that's getting this stuff out in the open. Much like the MDC (MDC-lite actually, MDC-very-very-lite, given the nature and format of the test here as opposed to the test in the MDC), the very fact that there will (very likely) emerge no evidence, despite several serious tries (if there are indeed several serious tries), would tend towards evidence of absence, right?

Here's the link to their website, incidentally.

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Not really a skeptics prize. He's convinced life after death exists and just wants some proof of it. Sounds like it would be open to abuse by deceitful parties.

You're right, how they'll do their judging seems opaque. Without that, this doesn't really amount to too much. So, doesn't come close to the MDC, as far as actual skepticism.

That said, does it matter what his own general convictions are, as long as what he's looking for here is evidence? (He says he's doing that, or his website does, looking for actual evidence, but again, given that the judging itself is opaque, I don't know. And on the third hand, if at all there are winners here, then those winning entries will be published, so then we can, if we're interested, read and judge for ourselves, so that in that sense their internal judging process is probably moot in any case.)

Also, I don't see how this might be open to abuse by deceitful parties, as you call it. If that judging process is sound, or hell forget judging if they simply publish the winning essays for us to read, then the more the merrier, right? The freaks as well as the deceitful? We can judge for ourselves after all. So if the judges are indeed gullible and/or if that potential "abuse" is in the form of them being taken in, or in the form of them having to go through fraudulent essay after fraudulent essay, I don't see why that should worry us.

In sum, seems interesting. I've bookmarked their website in my "Check out whenever" folder; in a few months' time, if there are one or more winning essays there, I think I'll give them a glance-through to see what that's about. Provided I do, that is: that bookmark folder of mine's full of tons and tons of stuff.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

I don't know. I imagine that "officially proving the existence of the afterlife" would look pretty good on a fraudsters résumé.

He's already arrived at his conclusion without any evidence, i.e. the scientific method has been abandoned right out of the gate, and now he's pretty much just hunting his version of Bigfoot.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2021, 07:50 AM   #9
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

For a million bucks I'll try, as soon as I know what 'dreath' is.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal