IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 17th February 2021, 03:12 PM   #1
Dude111
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 364
Anyone ever have a double dream while you are ASLEEP and then wake up IN THE DREAM and discover what you dreamed IN THE DREAM was real??

This site I used to be on went down a couple years ago as the admin passed away and his wife doesnt know if she wants to deal with running a site or not..... I dreamed IN THE DREAM that the site was BACK ONLINE!! -- Then i WOKE UP IN THE DREAM and while online I went to the site to see AND IT WAS BACK UP!!! -- They had changed the skin and it didnt look as nice... I remember I emailed one of the mods of the site and told him I have a CSS file if he wants I can give him that he can run IN HIS BROWSER and the site will look as it did.. (The default VB3 skin) Then around 7am that morning I woke up....(Or did I??) -- When I finally got online I tried the site but nothing.....


HOW DO WE KNOW WE ARE AWAKE NOW???????? -- I THINK EVERYTHING IS AN ILLUSION...... NOTHING IS REAL...... OUR MINDS MAKE IT REAL! (Which is why its important not to let it be filled with garbage from big pharma,etc)

And I had another one a couple nights after....... I was in a movie theater watching a movie and I met Archie Bunker in there,I forgot what movie was playing But I had fallen asleep during the movie and when I woke up a different movie was playing (One with a young Steven Segal in it)


I DO BELIEVE LIFE IS NOTHING BUT A BIG DREAM........

The most we can acheive is AWARENESS AND ALERTNESS .. This is all a dream so nothing is really REAL...


Carlos Castanadas book The Art of Dreaming goes into detail regarding dreaming gates....Double dreams are highly associated with crossing these gates.


Knowing this so called "reality" is only a dream is good as you can become much more fluid.

Remember like in a 'dream' you create your own reality..
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 04:01 PM   #2
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing
 
MRC_Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 23,561
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Anyone ever have a double dream while you are ASLEEP and then wake up IN THE DREAM and discover what you dreamed IN THE DREAM was real??

This site I used to be on went down a couple years ago as the admin passed away and his wife doesnt know if she wants to deal with running a site or not..... I dreamed IN THE DREAM that the site was BACK ONLINE!! -- Then i WOKE UP IN THE DREAM and while online I went to the site to see AND IT WAS BACK UP!!! -- They had changed the skin and it didnt look as nice... I remember I emailed one of the mods of the site and told him I have a CSS file if he wants I can give him that he can run IN HIS BROWSER and the site will look as it did.. (The default VB3 skin) Then around 7am that morning I woke up....(Or did I??) -- When I finally got online I tried the site but nothing.....


HOW DO WE KNOW WE ARE AWAKE NOW???????? -- I THINK EVERYTHING IS AN ILLUSION...... NOTHING IS REAL...... OUR MINDS MAKE IT REAL! (Which is why its important not to let it be filled with garbage from big pharma,etc)

And I had another one a couple nights after....... I was in a movie theater watching a movie and I met Archie Bunker in there,I forgot what movie was playing But I had fallen asleep during the movie and when I woke up a different movie was playing (One with a young Steven Segal in it)


I DO BELIEVE LIFE IS NOTHING BUT A BIG DREAM........

The most we can acheive is AWARENESS AND ALERTNESS .. This is all a dream so nothing is really REAL...


Carlos Castanadas book The Art of Dreaming goes into detail regarding dreaming gates....Double dreams are highly associated with crossing these gates.


Knowing this so called "reality" is only a dream is good as you can become much more fluid.

Remember like in a 'dream' you create your own reality..
Dreams can be very convincing at times, but if you generally cannot tell your dreams from real life, I think you should seek professional help.

Hans
__________________
Experience is an excellent teacher, but she sends large bills.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Modified
Philosopher
 
Modified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,927
The difference is, when we're awake we are aware of the lack of continuity, consistent physics, detail of surroundings, etc. of dreams. When we dream, we have diminished capacity and may or may not be aware of these things, but we do not generally conclude that our waking state was a dream.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 07:54 PM   #4
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus
 
Athyrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nutsack, FL
Posts: 2,188
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

I DO BELIEVE LIFE IS NOTHING BUT A BIG DREAM........

Remember like in a 'dream' you create your own reality..

I tried to create my own reality by dreaming, but it wasn't supposed to turn out like ..... this.
__________________
Knowledge is good.... Emil Faber
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 09:11 PM   #5
Dude111
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 364
Ah man!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 03:51 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 97,713
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Dreams can be very convincing at times, but if you generally cannot tell your dreams from real life, I think you should seek professional help.

Hans
For some humans, not for all of us, dreams donít have pictures!

The nearest I can get to being confused in regards to dreams would be sleep paralysis.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 07:07 AM   #7
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 12,917
Citing Carlos Castenada as a source is likely.... Unreliable.

Note that this is not exactly a new idea. About 3000 years ago, the Chinese philosopher (and founder of taoism) Lau Tzu is mentioned in this little bit:

“Lao Tzu woke from a dream where he dreamt that he was a butterfly. Then, he wondered if perhaps he was a butterfly, dreaming he was a man.”

But as noted above, most of us have no problems separating the dream state from reality, and the notion that we “create” our own reality is ludicrous.
The universe existed for many billions of years before it was possible for anything to even be alive, much less have any form of consciousness.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 40,575
I have very vivid realistic dreams a lot.
It's very disappointing waking up to an empty driveway after going through a very unlikely, but hardly impossible set of circumstances that lead to the purchase of an extraordinarily cool car. Then looking out at it one more time, and going to bed under perfectly normal circumstances. I hate waking up from that one a lot, as I've had it more than once. It's also been a new house a couple times, but I figure out that's a dream a whole lot quicker.

I've also dreamed I was in some kind of cartoon universe where I almost had sex with Daphne from Scooby Doo. I really hated being suddenly woke up from that one, let me tell you.

Both seemed quite real right up until the moment they weren't, but I've never questioned if they actually happened afterward.
__________________
"Never judge a man until youíve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, youíll be a mile away and have his shoes."

Last edited by Mike!; 18th February 2021 at 09:23 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 05:33 PM   #9
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I have very vivid realistic dreams a lot.
It's very disappointing waking up to an empty driveway after going through a very unlikely, but hardly impossible set of circumstances that lead to the purchase of an extraordinarily cool car. Then looking out at it one more time, and going to bed under perfectly normal circumstances. I hate waking up from that one a lot, as I've had it more than once. It's also been a new house a couple times, but I figure out that's a dream a whole lot quicker.

I've also dreamed I was in some kind of cartoon universe where I almost had sex with Daphne from Scooby Doo. I really hated being suddenly woke up from that one, let me tell you.

Both seemed quite real right up until the moment they weren't, but I've never questioned if they actually happened afterward.
I have always had vivid dreams. In my youth I was also able to manage lucid dreaming and restart a dream the next night and continue it.

My flying dreams are particularly vivid.
I had an odd moment a few nights ago when I was about to jump off a cliff and fly away. The only difference this time was that my wife was with me.

I hesitated at the cliff edge and then literally (well, at least in the dream), pinched myself to make sure I was in fact dreaming and it was safe to leap off the cliff with my wife. I then had to think, am I really pinching myself to see if Iím dreaming? Also, is the fact that pinching myself and it didnít hurt, proof enough that this was a dream.

She hasnít got the hang of flying in my dreams, so was a bit of a dead weight. Donít think Iíll be flying with her in the near future.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 06:02 PM   #10
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,951
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post

My flying dreams are particularly vivid.
I had an odd moment a few nights ago when I was about to jump off a cliff and fly away. The only difference this time was that my wife was with me.


She hasnít got the hang of flying in my dreams, so was a bit of a dead weight. Donít think Iíll be flying with her in the near future.
She sounds like a real drag.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 06:16 PM   #11
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni
 
welshdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,878
Sometimes I tell myself (in a dream) that I know that I'm dreaming and can then change the direction or theme of my dreams. This is a recent development, about 6-8 months, in my dreaming skills and coincided with my failing ability to escape by flying. I used to be able to simply leap and 'swim' fly, now I need to jump from a height of 5-6 metres. I struggle flying over water these days too.
I no longer get embarrassed in my 'oops I've turned up for work bollock-naked again' dreams. I just get on with it, even though someone has removed all the toilet doors. And all the toilets are in open plan offices...
__________________
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 07:47 PM   #12
Dude111
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans
Dreams can be very convincing at times, but if you generally cannot tell your dreams from real life, I think you should seek professional help.

Hans
*
Im sorry Hans.. I was just interested in double dreanms so I thought I would post/ask about them

Edited by Agatha:  Removed reference to material sent to AAH

Last edited by Agatha; 19th February 2021 at 01:02 PM.
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 08:08 PM   #13
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
She sounds like a real drag.
She is rather down-to-earth, that's plane to see.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 08:09 PM   #14
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Sometimes I tell myself (in a dream) that I know that I'm dreaming and can then change the direction or theme of my dreams. This is a recent development, about 6-8 months, in my dreaming skills and coincided with my failing ability to escape by flying. I used to be able to simply leap and 'swim' fly, now I need to jump from a height of 5-6 metres. I struggle flying over water these days too.
I no longer get embarrassed in my 'oops I've turned up for work bollock-naked again' dreams. I just get on with it, even though someone has removed all the toilet doors. And all the toilets are in open plan offices...
That last one is usually an indicator that I need to get out of bed in real life!
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 10:14 AM   #15
Modified
Philosopher
 
Modified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,927
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
That last one is usually an indicator that I need to get out of bed in real life!

That's pretty much the only reason I want to develop lucid dreaming ability - so I can wake myself up and go to the bathroom instead of dreaming about trying to find a suitable bathroom for half the night.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 04:44 PM   #16
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by Modified View Post
That's pretty much the only reason I want to develop lucid dreaming ability - so I can wake myself up and go to the bathroom instead of dreaming about trying to find a suitable bathroom for half the night.
Just so long as your lucid dreaming doesnít become liquid dreaming . . .
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.