IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ouija boards

Old 21st August 2003, 11:07 AM   #41
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Sundog

Forgive me, I'm slow today. How does this relate to whatever mechanism is in control (if any) of the Ouija board?
Your eyes see the board, yes?

Your mind knows how to spell a word, yes?

Your fingers are attached to your nervious system, yes?

There doesn't have to be any "intent".
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2003, 11:08 AM   #42
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Corey

It might be easier, but it wouldn't be accurate.
I am stating that your original question contained the assumption that it did exist.
Do you have any proof?
More to the point I want to know how to test for it.

I can show SOME kind of linkage in audio tests, but I don't claim that there is any extraordinary intellectual thing going on.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2003, 11:11 AM   #43
BNiles
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by jj

I think that's going a bit far when discussing a simple question of intersensory linkage, isn't it?
Yes it is, but this was taken a little out of context.

Sundog and I had slightly expanded our train of thought, and that's why I added the little disclaimer about stepping beyond the Ideomotor Effect.
BNiles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2003, 11:18 AM   #44
BNiles
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by jj

I can show SOME kind of linkage in audio tests, but I don't claim that there is any extraordinary intellectual thing going on.
This was my point as well. It's not some superpower, or extraordinary brain activity. It's a simple thought process that we don't pay much (if any) attention to. It doesn't matter what name you give it.

I know that names and labels can be a touchy point on these threads.
BNiles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2003, 12:02 PM   #45
Sundog
Master Poster

(loooong sigh)

[very patient]

Okay. Allow me to rephrase.

Assumption: That the two people operating the Ouija board are honest.

Assumption: That a Ouija "session" is observed to produce sensible sentences.

(Obviously one can take issue with this assumption. I consider this so blindingly obvious that I didn't spell it out before.)

"Leaving out conscious fraud, what reasonable explanation exists for the apparent construction of meaningful sentences from two honest persons operating a Ouija board?"

Assuming, once again, that any such thing is observed.

[/vp]
Sundog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2003, 12:08 PM   #46
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by BNiles

Yes it is, but this was taken a little out of context.

Sundog and I had slightly expanded our train of thought, and that's why I added the little disclaimer about stepping beyond the Ideomotor Effect.
Ok.
Old 21st August 2003, 12:16 PM   #47
Sundog
Master Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by jj

Your eyes see the board, yes?

Your mind knows how to spell a word, yes?

Your fingers are attached to your nervious system, yes?

There doesn't have to be any "intent".
OK, I think I get you now. But what about the origination of the sentence itself? Or do you think it's a letter-by-letter thing?
Sundog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2003, 07:07 PM   #48
tracer
Graduate Poster

Quote:
"Leaving out conscious fraud, what reasonable explanation exists for the apparent construction of meaningful sentences from two honest persons operating a Ouija board?"
Well ... one person could have an idea as to what he "wants" to see, and provide the ideomotor-based muscular cues, while the other person doesn't and just "goes along for the ride".
Old 21st August 2003, 07:42 PM   #49
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Quote:
Assumption: That the two people operating the Ouija board are honest.

Assumption: That a Ouija "session" is observed to produce sensible sentences.

(Obviously one can take issue with this assumption. I consider this so blindingly obvious that I didn't spell it out before.)[/vp]
That's why real scientists do double blind studies, so their "blindingly obvious assumptions" don't fool them.
And spare me the histrionics and silly little blinkeyes.
They don't add to the strenght of your discussion.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2003, 11:34 PM   #50
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Hexhammer said:

"If you got specific correct answers about things you yourself didn't know, someones moving the pointer. You won't get good specific answers if no one with their hands on the pointer knows them already. What I mean is if you ask:
"Who are we talking to?"
The pointer stops at "B"
You think maybe it's Billy.
Now the pointer finishes spelling out Billy.
I noticed this tendency of "mind reading" many times. I would think of something, and the board would spell it out. Yet it did not feel like I was trying to move the pointer."

Au contraire! In my session when I got a name beginning to be spelt out, I had M-I-C-H.. and immediately thought it was going to be MICHAEL. Suddenly, the glass moved rapidly to "NO" and respelt the name N-I-C-H-O-L-A-S. I was quite content with Michael. I thought afterwards that as the letter "N" was next to "M" and the glass was as big as a complete letter, this was an error on my part for reading the wrong letter (I was also jotting down the reponses as well as having one finger on the glass).
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2003, 08:25 AM   #51
Hexxenhammer
Malleus Malefactorum

Quote:
Originally posted by Explorer
Hexhammer said:

"If you got specific correct answers about things you yourself didn't know, someones moving the pointer. You won't get good specific answers if no one with their hands on the pointer knows them already. What I mean is if you ask:
"Who are we talking to?"
The pointer stops at "B"
You think maybe it's Billy.
Now the pointer finishes spelling out Billy.
I noticed this tendency of "mind reading" many times. I would think of something, and the board would spell it out. Yet it did not feel like I was trying to move the pointer."

Au contraire! In my session when I got a name beginning to be spelt out, I had M-I-C-H.. and immediately thought it was going to be MICHAEL. Suddenly, the glass moved rapidly to "NO" and respelt the name N-I-C-H-O-L-A-S. I was quite content with Michael. I thought afterwards that as the letter "N" was next to "M" and the glass was as big as a complete letter, this was an error on my part for reading the wrong letter (I was also jotting down the reponses as well as having one finger on the glass).
What do you think caused that? From what you have said I deduce fraud by your companion. If you were writing down what the board was saying, the person using it with you could have seen what you were writing and therefore moved the glass to make it look like the board was correcting you. This story is not convincing.
Georgia's board of education approved the plan that allows teachers to keep using the word 'Evolution' when teaching biology. Though, as a compromise, dinosaurs are now called 'Jesus Horses.'--Jimmy Fallon on Weekend Update
"I mean, if you buy into a religion, you're pretty much kissing good by(sic) critical thinking, aren't you?" --Riddick. Amen to that, brother.

Gamers! Ultimate RPG Thread has a new home at
skepticalcommunity!
Check it out!
Hexxenhammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2003, 08:27 AM   #52
Sundog
Master Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Corey

That's why real scientists do double blind studies, so their "blindingly obvious assumptions" don't fool them.
And spare me the histrionics and silly little blinkeyes.
They don't add to the strenght of your discussion.
No problem, if you'll spare me the Socratic inquiry bit and just spell out what you're thinking. I'm not interested enough to guess.
Old 22nd August 2003, 12:56 PM   #53
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Hexhammer, you said:

"What do you think caused that? From what you have said I deduce fraud by your companion. If you were writing down what the board was saying, the person using it with you could have seen what you were writing and therefore moved the glass to make it look like the board was correcting you. This story is not convincing."

What do I think caused that? I don't really know. All I do know is that fraud is the least likely answer as far as my experiment was concerned. You don't have to believe me, as that is your right. I wasn't trying to prove anything to anyone, least alone anyone on this board at the time. Everything was at my instigation and under my control, and as the experimenter I chose my companions carefully and new what their capabilities and intentions were as far as that can go. Not a scientific experiment at all, but for me, nevertheless an interesting experience that hitherto has not been published for any public consumption gain or personal status.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2003, 01:10 PM   #54
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Hexxanhammer said:

"The answers to these questions are usually obvious and so it's easy for the users to answer them themselves without realizing it. Does that make sense?"

That just demostrates the limited scope of the participant's intellect. Just try doing ouija asking specific questions about local history with serious people. You will be amazed, unless of course you are an idiotometer.
Try blindfolding the participants. I'ts amazing what this does to their intellect.
Old 22nd August 2003, 01:46 PM   #55
Hexxenhammer
Malleus Malefactorum

Quote:
What do I think caused that? I don't really know. All I do know is that fraud is the least likely answer as far as my experiment was concerned.
Fraud is the LEAST likely answer? What's the MOST likely answer? Any answer other than fraud has a lot of baggage that I don't think you can carry.
Quote:
Everything was at my instigation and under my control, and as the experimenter I chose my companions carefully and new what their capabilities and intentions were as far as that can go.
You say you weren't under control of the pointer. Either some otherworldly force was, or your friend was. Which was it?
Georgia's board of education approved the plan that allows teachers to keep using the word 'Evolution' when teaching biology. Though, as a compromise, dinosaurs are now called 'Jesus Horses.'--Jimmy Fallon on Weekend Update
"I mean, if you buy into a religion, you're pretty much kissing good by(sic) critical thinking, aren't you?" --Riddick. Amen to that, brother.

Gamers! Ultimate RPG Thread has a new home at
skepticalcommunity!
Check it out!
Hexxenhammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2003, 11:35 PM   #56
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Hexhammer, you said:

"You say you weren't under control of the pointer. Either some otherworldly force was, or your friend was. Which was it?"

I meant that the experiment was under my control. As far as the pointer was concerned, that was under the joint control of the participants, which included myself, not some other force, unworldly or otherwise. Hope that helps.

Diogenes said:

"Try blindfolding the participants. I'ts amazing what this does to their intellect"

As has been said before on another thread on this subject, blindfolding the participants muck it up. This is only a problem for those who pre-judge the cause to be deliberate fraud in every case. It does not challenge the ideomotor effect, or other possible causes that derive from the inner workings of the human brain.

Regards

Explorer
Old 27th March 2020, 11:26 AM   #57
Dude111
Critical Thinker

A very interesting site..... I didnt know that many different style Boards were made!

I used to have

OUIJA
Parker Brothers
Deluxe Wooden Edition
Design on wood 1967

I thought that was the only board made!!

They are quite interesting these boards...........

Last edited by Dude111; 27th March 2020 at 11:29 AM.
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 02:10 PM   #58
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hogan's Hero View Post
The ouiji Museum.......

http://www.museumoftalkingboards.com/gal1.html

The Magic Marvel board looks liek it came form McDonalds
What an interesting site, I really enjoyed it.

I was given my first Ouija Board when I was a child. My mother was a big woo-believer. (She also gave me Tarot cards when I was about 10). I recall that I never believed there was anything paranormal. However, to keep Mom happy, she had me do regular tarot readings for her, and indulge her as a Ouija partner.
Old 27th March 2020, 03:46 PM   #59
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Did the board predict the 16.5 year thread necromancy?
Old 28th March 2020, 02:22 AM   #60
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
What was the purpose of them? Were they originally made to contact the spirits? If this is so, I wonder how many sales they had. I wouldn't imagine that enough people would buy into that crap back then to make it profitable.
They became popular when Spiritualism was the new big religious movement sweeping the globe (although when first released they were a novelty) and seances, mentalism, table turning and such like were incredibly popular. They utterly rode the zietgeist.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 06:02 AM   #61
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The Wiki article:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija
Indicates that similar items were used by the Chinese as long ago as 1100 AD. The Chinese were always big into divination and such.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 07:35 AM   #62
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Did the board predict the 16.5 year thread necromancy?

Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 07:57 AM   #63
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

The Victorians loved them, it was a favourite pastime of theirs to generally try and contact the dead, see ghosts, and get up to all manner of spooky stuff. Nowadays we just send each other memes. Funny old world.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 10:25 AM   #64
Dude111
Critical Thinker

The spiritual world is fascinating..........

Alot of spirits need help.... If they have unfinished business for example..........
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 10:40 AM   #65
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The spiritual world is fascinating..........

Alot of spirits need help.... If they have unfinished business for example..........
It was the people who needed the help, IMO.

People were looking for something beyond the stark, quite brutal reality of the times. Likewise, there were people then, as there are now, that were keen to capitalize on those needs and give the people what they want.

The Victorians were a rather gruesome lot, when it came to entertainment, but that was bugger-all in comparison to the way people were forced to live at the time, and it took some drastic events (the Whitechapel murders, being one such series of events) to make the people who were better off realize the relative squalor that most people were living in.

That so many bizarre pastimes, stories, and ways of looking at things came out of that particular era is not surprising in the least.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 11:47 AM   #66
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
If the unfinished business is 'being drunk' then I agree. The spirit of Jim Beam just won't give me any peace.

P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 11:49 AM   #67
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I think it was Michael Faraday who proved that the users were pushing the planchette by making a replacement planchette out of a stack of card, cut to shape and loosely sewn together so there was a little play in the thread.

Simplicity is often the mark of true genius.

Old 4th May 2020, 03:53 AM   #68
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I think it was Michael Faraday who proved that the users were pushing the planchette by making a replacement planchette out of a stack of card, cut to shape and loosely sewn together so there was a little play in the thread.

Simplicity is often the mark of true genius.
No doubt at all, at least for me, that it is the participant/s moving the glass or pointer, or whatever.

What is fascinating is the unexpected answers you get from fairly straight forward questions, and how the effect seems to have a need to correct mistakes. I am sure that this derives from inside the heads of one or more of the participants, but how it expresses itself from allegedly subconscious random movement, into intelligible results through the often clumsy vehicle of a glass, is quite curious.
Old 4th May 2020, 04:25 AM   #69
Cheetah
Master Poster

I don't believe I've ever even seen one, apart from on the web.
Old 4th May 2020, 04:25 PM   #70
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Old 4th May 2020, 11:47 PM   #71
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

My family had a ouija board when I was a kid. (Also, for that matter, a magic 8 ball). My mother, sister, and I sat down for a session with it. Sister asked, "what should I buy tomorrow?"
Slowly, the planchet spelled out --- "save your money." Sister and I just looked at our thrifty Scottish mother, who grew up during the depression.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 03:11 AM   #72
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
My family had a ouija board when I was a kid. (Also, for that matter, a magic 8 ball). My mother, sister, and I sat down for a session with it. Sister asked, "what should I buy tomorrow?"
Slowly, the planchet spelled out --- "save your money." Sister and I just looked at our thrifty Scottish mother, who grew up during the depression.
Great anecdote, funny, illuminating and on topic. Nominated!

Old 5th May 2020, 10:40 AM   #73
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

Thanks, P.J.!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 12:37 PM   #74
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Back in my day the planchet usually spelled out, "Kiss Senex." "Give Senex what he wants."

The planchet used to be wise.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 01:02 PM   #75
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

We had one it would only spell out N I G H T and F E V E R

Turns out it was a Beegee board.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 01:53 PM   #76
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

One time Issac Hayes and I asked a Ouija board, "Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine with all the chicks?"

And it spelled out "SHAFT"!

So we said, "Damn Right!"

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2020, 11:35 AM   #77
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
We had one it would only spell out N I G H T and F E V E R

Turns out it was a Beegee board.
Couldn't be, spirit boards contact the dead not those who are Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive!

Old 17th January 2021, 11:55 PM   #78
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Bikewer
The Wiki article:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija
Indicates that similar items were used by the Chinese as long ago as 1100 AD. The Chinese were always big into divination and such.
Its good then the board continues to be used/agnoledged then

Thanx for the article!
Old 18th January 2021, 06:43 AM   #79
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Wouldn't a Chinese Ouija board have to be the size of a conference table?
Old 19th January 2021, 09:23 AM   #80
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Wouldn't a Chinese Ouija board have to be the size of a conference table?
Not the Japanese version, you can read about here:
https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/Kokkuri-san

Works every time, with the proviso that some fox spirit is going to lie to you.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal