ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2018, 02:22 PM   #121
Sherkeu
Muse

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Two years of nursing? I thought kids started eating regular food before that? (I know nothing about children.)
I did it to 26months. At that age they only nurse once or twice a day. As soon as she was able to talk and ask for it aloud, I stopped (late talker!). I bet someone, somewhere thinks my reason for stopping was selfish.

The natural age to quit for humans as a species is about 4 or 5.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:26 PM   #122
deadrose
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Isn't it clear something must be going terribly wrong for these women?
They don't see it that way, and don't take kindly to anyone suggesting that. That's the way they were raised and they turned out just fine, right?

All I ever did was do what I thought was right for my kids, including breastfeeding for as long as I could, which wasn't always as long as I wanted to, but that's life. I only talked about it if someone directly asked me, and I was completely gobsmacked when the town's Most Crunchy Granola Mom told me she thought of me as her role model of good child-raising. I never thought I was anywhere near good, just mostly adequate. When I moved to Ontario it was a different story, though. Nursing, cloth diapers, stuff like that were considered wackdoodle hippie stuff, not normal behavior.

This is really sliding into a whole 'nother subject though, so if you want to continue this we should probably ask for the thread to be split.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:34 PM   #123
Minoosh
Philosopher

Two years of nursing? I thought kids started eating regular food before that? (I know nothing about children.)
I think the official recommendation is: Breastfeeding only for 6 months followed by nursing some of the time up to age 1 year. But I think that's a compromise, because the data seem to show that the longer, the better. Health authorities probably thought 2 years was just too hard of a sell in the U.S. Or anywhere, really, except for a very niche group.

I didn't get any and Mom was pretty slapdash about a lot of things, probably gave us cow's milk or evaporated/condensed milk some of the time. I could not have had a stronger immune system, and I don't think I was ever breastfed.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 06:17 PM   #124
kellyb
Philosopher

I think the official recommendation is: Breastfeeding only for 6 months followed by nursing some of the time up to age 1 year. But I think that's a compromise, because the data seem to show that the longer, the better. Health authorities probably thought 2 years was just too hard of a sell in the U.S. Or anywhere, really, except for a very niche group.

I didn't get any and Mom was pretty slapdash about a lot of things, probably gave us cow's milk or evaporated/condensed milk some of the time. I could not have had a stronger immune system, and I don't think I was ever breastfed.
When mine were babies, they (AAP, etc) just said something along the lines of "After nursing is established, the breastfeeding relationship should be extended to a minimum of 12 months." So, not saying it had to be exclusively breastmilk for that long, and you can completely wean whenever you want to after that.

Very reasonable guidelines, with lots of apparently intentional leeway worked into the language to allow women lots of freedom of choice in when to introduce solids and water or juice or formula, when they can wean and still be within the "optimal" window, etc.

The spirit of the recommendation was just to encourage mothers to give exclusive breastfeeding a shot for at least a little while.

Last edited by kellyb; 12th July 2018 at 06:20 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 05:08 AM   #125
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

They still supplement with milk until they can fully handle solid foods, although I don't know many women who continue nursing all that much past eighteen months or so. My sister breastfed all three of her kids and I believe stopped right around a year to eighteen months and began weaning them or supplementing with formula or regular milk as needed.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 05:36 AM   #126
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It's not to anyone's "benefit." You're talking about a public health problem, either way, and if they have a substance use disorder they are suffering from a medical condition. Judging them as "selfish" isn't all that helpful.

Isn't it clear something must be going terribly wrong for these women?
That isn't a disorder always, sometimes it is just a preference.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 07:31 AM   #127
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Now, if she's tried it and then legitimately "doesn't like it" for whatever reason and is okay with the potential for increased risk of some illnesses, I'm not going to stop her. Her infant, her choice. I just want to ensure she's been fully educated on the pros and cons of both sides.
Her body, her choice.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events