ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th September 2018, 07:27 PM   #641
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
From what I can glean, all Elon Musk said was that Unsworth 'had a child bride'.

That's a loaded statement.

Is his wife fourteen or something? If so the legal defence Musk has in the UK, is that it is, 'fair comment'.
Read the Guardian article if you actually want to learn about what you are commenting on. In fact libel suits exist exactly because untrue statements can damage people’s reputation in the eyes of readers who are ignorant of the facts.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 12:32 AM   #642
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
From what I can glean, all Elon Musk said was that Unsworth 'had a child bride'.

That's a loaded statement.

Is his wife fourteen or something? If so the legal defence Musk has in the UK, is that it is, 'fair comment'.
If no one else is going to actually say it

No

He called him a "peado", "child rapist", sex trafficking liar, who married a 12 year old .
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 12:59 AM   #643
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
If no one else is going to actually say it

No

He called him a "peado", "child rapist", sex trafficking liar, who married a 12 year old .
And it is in every article about him suing Musk today, there is no way anyone can't know this if they have read any news report about Musk being sued for defamation.
Old 18th September 2018, 01:43 AM   #644
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And it is in every article about him suing Musk today, there is no way anyone can't know this if they have read any news report about Musk being sued for defamation.
Indeed
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 06:39 AM   #645
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were on a jury deciding damages in such a case where a fish faced billionaire used his bully pulpit to libel an ordinary person doing good deeds, I'd award a lot more than $75k. I'd get really punitive, along the lines of 50% of everything he's got. Just because people have lots of money is no reason they can behave like insane sociopathic toddlers.
Old 18th September 2018, 07:00 AM   #646
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were on a jury deciding damages in such a case where a fish faced billionaire used his bully pulpit to libel an ordinary person doing good deeds, I'd award a lot more than $75k. I'd get really punitive, along the lines of 50% of everything he's got. Just because people have lots of money is no reason they can behave like insane sociopathic toddlers.
Probably. I expect Musk does not want this court case to drag out and will try to settle out of court.

I only wonder what will happen next on Twitter as he will probably be goaded into remarking on the case again.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 07:09 AM   #647
Arcade22
Illuminator

Unless Musk is sitting on a pile of secret proof of his allegations, that he would've inexplicably not share with anyone even though it would vindicate him, he's demonstrating the attitude of an ignorant bigot.

He's British guy living in Thailand. Why would he do that? Yeah that's right: he's a pedo. Only pedophiles would want to travel to Thailand let alone live there. They could never have been fascinated and interested in the country because of the food, environment or anything like that.

Even here in Sweden, in a medium sized city that's far from the Stockholm, there's quite a few people from Thailand and ordering Thai takeout is easy (it's almost certainly Thai people that cook). Is not hard to become interested about he country.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 18th September 2018 at 07:10 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 07:12 AM   #648
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The fact that Unsworth has been living with an adult Thai woman (now 40) for 7 years doesn't prove he isn't a 'pedo', of course, but it may be grist to the mill in this case.

The Sun article

On other news, Musk is back to pushing BFR trips around the moon and the need for a self-sufficient Mars colony.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:47 AM   #649
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The fact that Unsworth has been living with an adult Thai woman (now 40) for 7 years doesn't prove he isn't a 'pedo', of course, but it may be grist to the mill in this case.

The Sun article

On other news, Musk is back to pushing BFR trips around the moon and the need for a self-sufficient Mars colony.
At the moment there is no reason to think it's anything other than sour grapes by someone who got told where to take his stupid idea by someone working under pressure and without the traditional Thai reluctance to cause someone to lose face (which Musk seemed to have assumed meant agreement)
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 11:44 AM   #650
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I have to say when I first read what Musk tweeted I thought "whoa, dude, that's totally uncalled for"! Keep it nice. Go for something a little more generic and gender neutral, like dickhead.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events