ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Allan Kardec , life after death , spiritism , spiritualism

Old 20th August 2019, 08:01 PM   #321
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Hi Winston Wu! How have you been these past years?
I believe several members and myself have read this nonsense before and have entertained ourselves reading the incoherent lunacy of SCEPCOP.

The Scientific Committee Exposing Pseudo-Skeptical Cynicism of the Paranormal, or "SCEPCOP," is a website created by "Vinstonas Wu" (a.k.a., Winston Wu), an admitted diagnosed schizophrenic,[2] to help champion every crazy idea which lacks any corroborative evidence whatsoever.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/SCEPCOP

For lovers of insanity, here is the SCEPCOP forum which is actually called debunkingskeptics.
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 10:23 PM   #322
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
You might not like what they have to say ...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...c21b369bef.jpg
I dunno, that could either mean there is nothing to be saved from, or some horror from beyond time and space will devour us once we die.
Still better than any afterlife I've read about so far
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 10:38 PM   #323
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Pseudo-skepticism is worse than religious fanaticism!
Define "pseudo-skepticism" please.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:49 PM   #324
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I think it goes like this:

Person making paranormal claim: "What about this evidence?"
Skeptic: Analyses it and points out what is wrong with it...

Person making paranormal claim: "Well then what about this evidence?"

(Repeat 100 times)

Skeptic: "Enough - it is only going to be the same nonsense as before"
Person making paranormal claim: "Pseudo-skeptic! You aren't interested in evidence!"
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 11:03 PM   #325
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I see. There actually are some people I might call "pseudo-skeptics" fwiw. Holocaust deniers (they might prefer Holocaust skeptics) are one kind. Anti-vaxxers would be another kind. These people might like to see themselves as "skeptics" although their beliefs are highly dubious.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:43 PM   #326
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I believe several members and myself have read this nonsense before and have entertained ourselves reading the incoherent lunacy of SCEPCOP.

The Scientific Committee Exposing Pseudo-Skeptical Cynicism of the Paranormal, or "SCEPCOP," is a website created by "Vinstonas Wu" (a.k.a., Winston Wu), an admitted diagnosed schizophrenic,[2] to help champion every crazy idea which lacks any corroborative evidence whatsoever.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/SCEPCOP

For lovers of insanity, here is the SCEPCOP forum which is actually called debunkingskeptics.
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com
I did not know that. But it seems to explain the behaviour I remember from him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 11:51 PM   #327
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I think it goes like this:

Person making paranormal claim: "What about this evidence?"

(Repeat 100 times)

Skeptic: "Enough - it is only going to be the same nonsense as before"
Person making paranormal claim: "Pseudo-skeptic! You aren't interested in evidence!"

Or in this case:

Person making paranormal claim: [makes claim]
Skeptics: “What evidence do you have for that?”
Person making paranormal claim: “I won’t provide any evidence until you have read this book.”
Skeptic:”OK, I’ve read the book, here are some problems with it.”
Person making paranormal claim: “My English isn’t good enough to continue this discussion.”

Person making paranormal claim: “Pseudo-skeptics don't care to study anything, they don't want to see the data, they don't want to analyze the evidence...”

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 20th August 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:46 AM   #328
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Science is not infallible and cannot yet explain everything!
The spirits in the book you directed us towards are supposed to be infallible, yet are wrong about very many very basic facts of science and astronomy. The author of the book himself (again, that you directed people towards) says that if the facts in the book are shown to be untrue, then you must conclude that spirits don't exist.

When confronted with this, you did exactly the same thing as when confronted with the fact that the spirits displayed the colonial attitudes of the 19th century - you ignored it.

You know what scepticism is? It's examining the facts, the evidence, and the logic of claims to see if they support a particular claim. That's what I've done.

You know what scepticism is not? Ignoring when the facts, evidence, and logic of claims don't support the particular claim you would like them to. That's what you've done.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:50 AM   #329
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

you need to study Marcello Truzzi!
Why? You'll just ignore anything he's said or stood for that you'd prefer not to be true.

Like, for example, "An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof".
Old 21st August 2019, 01:51 AM   #330
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Pseudo-skeptics don't care to study anything, they don't want to see the data, they don't want to analyze the evidence, they don't care about the witnesses ... All they want is for the opposing theory to go off the map as quickly as possible before others get to know her!
Just to be clear - are you here saying that it's wrong to ignore evidence that contradicts what you believe to be true? Asking for a friend.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:58 AM   #331
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Hi Winston Wu! How have you been these past years?
I'm not sure this is Winston Wu.

Winston Wu is more coherent
Old 21st August 2019, 02:45 AM   #332
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I'd really like to see a definition of pseudo skepticism.
pseudo skeptic – one who holds an a priori belief that it does not exist, therefore, it is just a matter of finding a way to explain it away.
Debunkers cloak denialism in the language of skepticism and critical thinking; start with a conclusion and look for evidence to support what they already believe.

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:51 AM   #333
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
What does he say?

Norm
Not a lot, he's been dead fifteen years. He was one of the founders of CSICOP, coined the phrases "an extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof" and "pseudoskepticism", the latter when CSICOP investigators stated being overly rigourous (in his opinion) and left the organisation.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:54 AM   #334
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Science is not infallible and cannot yet explain everything!
This is, of course, one of the defining statements of the pseudo-skeptic, who usually goes on to say "therefore your skepticism should lead you to reject science and its demands for evidence, and having done so here are the beliefs of mine that you should acccept without question because we already disposed of that evidence thing."

Science doesn't claim to explain everything. It claims to be better at explaining things than all the other fallible ways of acquiring knowledge. Pseudo-skepticism is rooted in the denial of that claim.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 05:19 AM   #335
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

To my knowledge, “psuedo-skeptics” have not indulged in inquisitions, terrorist attacks, or any of the other abuses associated with religious fanaticism.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 05:20 AM   #336
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm not criticizing anyone here, I just want to question pseudo-skepticism! because it really exists!
(Yawn).

Sorry a spirit passed right by me.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 06:30 AM   #337
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Pseudo-skeptics don't care to study anything, they don't want to see the data, they don't want to analyze the evidence, they don't care about the witnesses ... All they want is for the opposing theory to go off the map as quickly as possible before others get to know her!
I've read some of what passes for "evidence" of spirits, ghosts and paranormal events and invariably it come down to anecdotal accounts from credulous sources.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:00 AM   #338
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I've read some of what passes for "evidence" of spirits, ghosts and paranormal events and invariably it come down to anecdotal accounts from credulous sources.
Also, the anecdotal accounts are usually explainable with logic applied. And sometimes you must look deeper for the rational explanation.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:44 AM   #339
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
pseudo skeptic – one who holds an a priori belief that it does not exist
For existential propositions, a presumption of non-existence is rational. Such a proposition can be falsified with evidence, and is therefore a testable proposition. Since you seem to believe it is irrational to start out this way, please describe a better way and show that it's better.

Quote:
...therefore, it is just a matter of finding a way to explain it away.
If a particular explanation is proffered for some set of observations, is it not rational to assemble other hypotheses that also explain the observations, and then see which is best supported by evidence? Then from among all those considered, is it not rational to prefer the explanation that best satisfies the law of parsimony? If you feel this is inappropriate, can you describe a better way?

Quote:
Debunkers cloak denialism in the language of skepticism and critical thinking...
One person's "denialism" is another person's critical analysis. Very often we see that the proponent's proffered explanation is meant to be accepted simply because some other hypothesis lacks conclusive support, or as a default when all other explanations fail. What those proponents erroneously write off as "denialism" is, in those cases, a correct effort to hold the proffered explanation to the same standards of evidence as is used to reject more prosaic alternatives.

Give some examples from this forum of "denialism [cloaked] in the language of skeptical thinking" and describe what would have been a more appropriate approach.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:03 AM   #340
Ricardo

the characteristic feature of false skepticism is that it centres not on an impartial search for the truth, but on the defence of a preconceived ideological position

These are my ideas about the thing itself and not about the person I address, I can respect the person without participating in their opinions.
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:03 AM   #341
kali1137
Muse

Pseudo-skepticism is worse than religious fanaticism!
Well no. Religious fanaticism has lead to a lot of chaos and death. Posts are so much simpler when you only have to respond to an opinion with another opinion and not required to add proof or back anything up!
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:04 AM   #342
Belz...
Fiend God

the characteristic feature of false skepticism is that it centres not on an impartial search for the truth, but on the defence of a preconceived ideological position
And since you have no idea what goes on in people's heads, how about you try meeting their skepticism with evidence?

Oh, right. You don't have any. That's why you resort to ad hominems.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:09 AM   #343
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Like, for example, the way believers in paranormal phenomena try to re-write the definition of evidence so that it contains favourable exceptions.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:10 AM   #344
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And since you have no idea what goes on in people's heads, how about you try meeting their skepticism with evidence?

Oh, right. You don't have any. That's why you resort to ad hominems.
Skepticism cannot be harsh and hateful!
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:12 AM   #345
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Like, for example, ignoring or hand-waving away critiques of texts that they suggested other people read? That kind of thing?
Old 21st August 2019, 08:15 AM   #346
kali1137
Muse

Are you suggesting that religion is not? Especially in cases of a religious fanatics?
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:20 AM   #347
Belz...
Fiend God

Sure it can. Look: homeopathy is a load of crap and there's no evidence to support it.

Old 21st August 2019, 08:29 AM   #348
8enotto
Graduate Poster

These are my ideas about the thing itself and not about the person I address, I can respect the person without participating in their opinions.
Yet when a specific test was offered to you, on something only you experience, you refused if based on " it took a long time to come to believe in spirits"

No one else can test this, no one can force you to act in any way. You say no, game over. You have refused to test your own beliefs.

Without your experiences I cannot believe in spirits. Not like you do. You repeat preconceived notions of what skeptics and your definition of pseudo skeptic does, but it's not a one size fits all body suit.

I may totally disagree with a member on his politics, partially agree on certain social issues and fully agreed on food and art.

Yet with another the formula is very different. It doesn't mean one is a pseudo skeptic and another not, it only means my ideals overlap in different areas with each.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:45 AM   #349
Ricardo

Susan Blackmore is an open-minded skeptic
Old 21st August 2019, 08:48 AM   #350
Ricardo

would anyone here like to subscribe to a brazilian skepticism forum? I can pass the link!
Old 21st August 2019, 08:53 AM   #351
Ricardo

You ask for evidence or empirical evidence of the existence of spirits ... but I would have to talk to you in person ... off the internet!
Old 21st August 2019, 08:56 AM   #352
Ricardo

books or websites you don't accept as evidence ... would you have to talk to yourself?
Old 21st August 2019, 08:58 AM   #353
Ricardo

I would have to talk to you in person ... books and websites don't have the proof you require!
Old 21st August 2019, 08:59 AM   #354
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Susan Blackmore
It was just over thirty years ago that I had the dramatic out-of-body experience that convinced me of the reality of psychic phenomena and launched me on a crusade to show those closed-minded scientists that consciousness could reach beyond the body and that death was not the end. Just a few years of careful experiments changed all that. I found no psychic phenomena—only wishful thinking, self-deception, experimental error and, occasionally, fraud. I became a sceptic.
Yep. Sounds open minded and skeptical; she sought evidence for her beliefs, found that it didn't point the way she expected, and changed her beliefs as a result.

What was your point in bringing her up?

Dave

- Myriad
Old 21st August 2019, 09:05 AM   #355
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Yep. Sounds open minded and skeptical; she sought evidence for her beliefs, found that it didn't point the way she expected, and changed her beliefs as a result.

What was your point in bringing her up?

Dave
she said There are some members of the skeptics' groups who clearly believe they know the right answer prior to inquiry.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:06 AM   #356
Dave Rogers

she said There are some members of the skeptics' groups who clearly believe they know the right answer prior to inquiry.
And are you familiar with the definition of the word "some"?

Dave

- Myriad
Old 21st August 2019, 09:14 AM   #357
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly you're so wrapped up in your beliefs that you perceive rejection of your beliefs as being hateful.

That isn't the case.

You'd do yourself a good turn by citing evidence that you as an individual find credible for the existence of the spirit world and debating the facts - merely stating that other individuals must first read some book you evidently believe to be confirming your beliefs isn't a discussion, it's a lecture.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:18 AM   #358
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

You ask for evidence or empirical evidence of the existence of spirits ... but I would have to talk to you in person ... off the internet!
If you believe you have a solid sales pitch, put it up on YouTube.

Old 21st August 2019, 09:23 AM   #359
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Allan Kardec has been proved wrong.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:26 AM   #360
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Have you abandoned the idea that the books you linked to provide empirical evidence of the existence of spirits, then?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy