IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th January 2021, 10:17 PM   #1721
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Well, there was speculation that some who voted against the electoral count were afraid for themselves and families, and crazy as that ought to be, crazy trumps sane these days.
Maybe not so crazy. "Nice family you got there. Shame if one of the kids had an accident..."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:21 PM   #1722
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I now read that all but five Republicans have voted against the impeachment trial, which means that it probably will not succeed.
Old 26th January 2021, 10:23 PM   #1723
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I now read that all but five Republicans have voted against the impeachment trial, which means that it probably will not succeed.
Virtue-signalling. If the voting was secret then that number might be radically different.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:32 PM   #1724
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The evidence that is going to be presented is going to make a lot of Republicans look really bad.
And the GOP insistent that they should be above the law is going to make it easy to run against them in 2022.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:36 PM   #1725
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The evidence that is going to be presented is going to make a lot of Republicans look really bad.
And the GOP insistent that they should be above the law is going to make it easy to run against them in 2022.
I believe this is the goal Democrats should aim for.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 11:44 PM   #1726
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Maybe not so crazy. "Nice family you got there. Shame if one of the kids had an accident..."
In this case, I meant that the threats are crazy, not the threatened.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 06:08 AM   #1727
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Virtue-signalling. If the voting was secret then that number might be radically different.
Is it in the power of the Democrats to make the vote to convict secret?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 07:14 AM   #1728
Tero
Master Poster

If it were secret, a lot of GOP would just abstain. Even that would hurt them, and people would track down who abstained.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #1729
Tero
Master Poster

They better get on with this impeachment because assorted criminal and civil cases against Trump are waiting for it to be over.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 09:17 AM   #1730
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I believe this is the goal Democrats should aim for.
One cannot out-Trump Trump
One cannot out-hypocritize the GOP.

ETA
Although. It’d be interesting for a Dem to get caught and instead of profusely apologizing before resigning, they simply say “I’ve been asked to apologize. I think the best way to do that is to quote Senator So-and-so (R. Flyover State) ‘I’m sorry that you feel that way.’”

MORE ETA
No, I was right the first time. The Dems will never get to the point that they can close ranks to pull a Garland/Coney-Barret with even a twentieth of the aplomb of the Republicans.

Last edited by Ladewig; 27th January 2021 at 09:47 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #1731
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
They should make a three-dollar bill with Trump's picture on it. And then not accept it as legal tender.
They already did.

Old 27th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #1732
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I'm pretty sure after a voice vote any one member can call for a roll call vote and those are not secret.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 01:46 PM   #1733
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
One cannot out-Trump Trump
One cannot out-hypocritize the GOP..
Yes, GOP lawmakers for the most part are immune to lying and being hypocrites.

But are they immune to evidence they were all complicit in an attempt to overturn a legit election?

I don't think the people who believe the election was rigged constitute half of the voting public. I could be wrong, but that's my current POV.
Old 27th January 2021, 02:21 PM   #1734
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
No, and even if it were a secret vote in congress will be a horrible,horrible, precedent.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 02:52 PM   #1735
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

But are they immune to evidence they were all complicit in an attempt to overturn a legit election?

I don't think the people who believe the election was rigged constitute half of the voting public. I could be wrong, but that's my current POV.
Well, according to polls taken earlier this month...

72 percent of likely Republican voters said they continue to question the presidential election results. Nearly three-quarters of Republicans, or 74 percent, said allegations of voter fraud have contributed to these concerns. Those are overwhelming majorities, but even among independents, 42 percent said they do not currently trust the election results.
While 55 percent of people said they continue to trust the electoral process in the United States, 39 percent of people said they don’t trust it, including 65 percent of Republicans, compared to 12 percent of Democrats.

So, less than half said the election was rigged, but its still a significant number (including the majority of the republican base).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 02:57 PM   #1736
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Remember Goya? The company that sells canned goods aimed largely at the latin-American market? Remember when one of its executives ended up praising Trump (which caused a backlash, with threats of a consumer boycott.)

Well, looks like they might have stepped in it again.

The board of directors behind Goya, the Latino food company, has voted to censure its CEO, Robert Unanue, due to his public comments backing former President Trump and his election fraud claims...Unanue’s censuring followed his comments on Fox Business on Inauguration Day that there was a “war coming” and President Biden’s election was “unverified.” "The company has never been political or politicized," the source told CNN. "He's gone from bad CEO to CEO that has imperiled the future of the company and endangered the lives of some of the shareholders.”

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #1737
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

72 percent of likely Republican voters said they continue to question the presidential election results. Nearly three-quarters of Republicans, or 74 percent, said allegations of voter fraud have contributed to these concerns. Those are overwhelming majorities, but even among independents, 42 percent said they do not currently trust the election results.
While 55 percent of people said they continue to trust the electoral process in the United States, 39 percent of people said they don’t trust it, including 65 percent of Republicans, compared to 12 percent of Democrats.

So, less than half said the election was rigged, but its still a significant number (including the majority of the republican base).
A lot of their distrust could be evaporated if the USA used a single consistent voting process for each and every state, for each and every election. Said method to be the most rigorously rigging-proof one possible. Of course, it is understood that even if this was achieved, there would still be dissenters who wouldn't like the results, and would STILL rage on about election fraud. Just like now.
Old 27th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #1738
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No, and even if it were a secret vote in congress will be a horrible,horrible, precedent.
Unlike the secret voting process used to elect them??
Old 27th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #1739
Cavemonster
Philosopher

A lot of their distrust could be evaporated if the USA used a single consistent voting process for each and every state, for each and every election. Said method to be the most rigorously rigging-proof one possible. Of course, it is understood that even if this was achieved, there would still be dissenters who wouldn't like the results, and would STILL rage on about election fraud. Just like now.
It makes me wonder about the utility of further security.

Sure there are SOME weaknesses that probably need to be addressed. But the core claims that I keep hearing from these MAGA doofs are just so clearly bad, that I don't think actual improvements would have changed a single thing about this particular election.

I keep seeing references to a video where votes were pulled from under the table in"suitcases". By people who don't seem to know or care that the full security video shows those same ballots being placed in those cases and under the table earlier while observers watched. That even the tables being set up is on that full security footage.

I don't think ANY measures would avoid that, or the "statistical anomalies". I really think truth has become politicized to an extent where lack of real basis is not a barrier to any theory if it serves a political end.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 03:26 PM   #1740
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I don't think ANY measures would avoid that, or the "statistical anomalies". I really think truth has become politicized to an extent where lack of real basis is not a barrier to any theory if it serves a political end.
Like 9-11 truthers, nothing will ever satisfy them. Goalposts will keep getting moved round and round in a circle forever.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 03:55 PM   #1741
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I have no doubt it is currently a significant number. But it's not 50%. As far back as GW's term the country was very closely divided. (I don't recall how close the POTUS election was before that.) So I'm not particularly worried about losing the 2022 vote unless the Democrats really screw up between now and then.

I do think we should begin chipping away at the GOP until then.
Old 27th January 2021, 03:57 PM   #1742
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Remember Goya? The company that sells canned goods aimed largely at the latin-American market? Remember when one of its executives ended up praising Trump (which caused a backlash, with threats of a consumer boycott.)

Well, looks like they might have stepped in it again.

The board of directors behind Goya, the Latino food company, has voted to censure its CEO, Robert Unanue, due to his public comments backing former President Trump and his election fraud claims...Unanue’s censuring followed his comments on Fox Business on Inauguration Day that there was a “war coming” and President Biden’s election was “unverified.” "The company has never been political or politicized," the source told CNN. "He's gone from bad CEO to CEO that has imperiled the future of the company and endangered the lives of some of the shareholders.”
Censured him? Can't they just fire him?
Old 27th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #1743
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It makes me wonder about the utility of further security.

Sure there are SOME weaknesses that probably need to be addressed. But the core claims that I keep hearing from these MAGA doofs are just so clearly bad, that I don't think actual improvements would have changed a single thing about this particular election.

I keep seeing references to a video where votes were pulled from under the table in"suitcases". By people who don't seem to know or care that the full security video shows those same ballots being placed in those cases and under the table earlier while observers watched. That even the tables being set up is on that full security footage.

I agree. People see what they choose to see and believe what they choose to believe. Facts mean nothing. They really do feel entitled to their own facts.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 04:19 PM   #1744
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There is both insanity and ignorance to the GOP distrust of elections.

1. They distrust it because they lost.
2.They live in an echo chamber that has been telling them to distrust the election.
3. They don't have a clue how elections are run. They don't understand the myriad of checks that make it close to impossible for any kind of widespread fraud. (There will always be a few votes fraudulently made. A husband filling out his wife's ballot etc)
4. The GOP has no interest in actual democracy. They want the power to keep all the power and wealth to themselves. Actual democracy would mean they would have to share.
Old 27th January 2021, 04:58 PM   #1745
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

2.They live in an echo chamber that has been telling them to distrust the election.
3. They don't have a clue how elections are run. They don't understand the myriad of checks that make it close to impossible for any kind of widespread fraud. (There will always be a few votes fraudulently made. A husband filling out his wife's ballot etc)
4. The GOP has no interest in actual democracy. They want the power to keep all the power and wealth to themselves. Actual democracy would mean they would have to share.
That one, I think, is currently the main one. When you have someone like Trump saying, since he ran against Clinton, that the only way he could lose an election is by the other side cheating, and then RW media (including Fox) amplifying that meme, and a good portion of the GOP going along with it passively when they're not actively reinforcing it by actions like voting to deny legitimate results from certain states, then you're going to have a lot of folks mistaking the echo for the original static and thinking the static is somehow stronger for the repetition.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 27th January 2021 at 05:16 PM. Reason: clarify
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 05:15 PM   #1746
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Usually the nut job extremist conspiracy theorists like Taylor Greene are on the fringe of both parties but Trump brought them in from the right wing fringe and into the very center of the GOP and into power. And the spineless or selfish, ambition centered ***holes* who aided and abetted him in doing so are just as guilty as he is.

*Cruz, Graham, McCarthy, Jordan, Gaetz, Meadows, McConnell, etc
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 06:10 PM   #1747
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...As far back as GW's term the country was very closely divided. (I don't recall how close the POTUS election was before that.)...
Just for the record, in 1996:
  • Clinton 47.4 million votes, 379 Electoral votes
  • Dole 39.2 million votes, 159 Electoral votes
  • Perot 8.1 million votes, zero Electoral votes.

In 1992:
  • Clinton 44.9 million votes, 370 Electoral votes
  • Bush 39.1 million votes, 168 Electoral votes
  • Perot 19.8 million votes, zero Electoral votes.
(This would be one of Bill Clinton's political problems: 57% of the voters in the 1992 election voted for 'other than Clinton.')

In 1988:
  • Bush 48.9 million votes, 426 Electoral votes
  • Dukakis 41.8 million votes, 111 Electoral votes.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 06:14 PM   #1748
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
That one, I think, is currently the main one. When you have someone like Trump saying, since he ran against Clinton, that the only way he could lose an election is by the other side cheating, and then RW media (including Fox) amplifying that meme, and a good portion of the GOP going along with it passively when they're not actively reinforcing it by actions like voting to deny legitimate results from certain states, then you're going to have a lot of folks mistaking the echo for the original static and thinking the static is somehow stronger for the repetition.
I agree. But #1 comes into play a lot. They would trust it a lot more if their guy won. Dovetails into what you said.

Last edited by acbytesla; 27th January 2021 at 06:21 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 07:56 PM   #1749
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Censured him? Can't they just fire him?
Firing a CEO might cost millions of dollars.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 08:21 PM   #1750
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
If it were secret, a lot of GOP would just abstain. Even that would hurt them, and people would track down who abstained.
Depends on who counts the votes. If it's Moscow Mitch, that would give him a LOT of power: "Hey, vote for my bill or I might let slip how you voted on impeachment." If it is so0me low-level clerk, the potential for a money bribe is obvious.

I think a secret ballot is a bad idea. The GOP isn't going to convict T**** anyway, so let's make sure everyone knows how each senator voted.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 08:22 PM   #1751
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
They better get on with this impeachment because assorted criminal and civil cases against Trump are waiting for it to be over.
Why are the other cases on hold? Got a link?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 08:29 PM   #1752
SezMe
post-pre-born

It makes me wonder about the utility of further security.<snip>
Yes, try to "fix" voter fraud is a waste of time but electoral fraud is a whole 'nother bag of worms. I hope the Biden Administration can get the voter rights bill passed because it deals with voter suppression which the GOP uses to eliminate tens of thousands of votes.
Old 27th January 2021, 09:52 PM   #1753
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Given that the trial has been cancelled, to me it looks like they are immune.

Quote:
I don’t understand the importance of knowing whether the number is 45% or 55%.
Old 27th January 2021, 10:06 PM   #1754
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

If you thought the folks trying to kill Congressfolk last week were scary, just wait until Congress mandates a specific voting machine.

There are a lot of people who will turn violent because they think such a move would mark the death of Democracy in America (i.e.that’s how “they” are going to rig all the votes at once).
Old 27th January 2021, 10:49 PM   #1755
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Given that the trial has been cancelled, to me it looks like they are immune.

I don’t understand the importance of knowing whether the number is 45% or 55%.
You mean impeachment? No it hasn't. Or are you talking about something else?
Old 28th January 2021, 01:52 AM   #1756
Tolls
Philosopher

Unlike the secret voting process used to elect them??
There's a difference.
The people we elect to represent us must be seen to actually represent us, and that involves their votes being on the record.

I know we like to think "they" will vote the way we would like if it were in secret, but I wouldn't be happy not knowing how my representative in parliament was actually voting.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 01:55 AM   #1757
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
There's a difference.
The people we elect to represent us must be seen to actually represent us, and that involves their votes being on the record.

I know we like to think "they" will vote the way we would like if it were in secret, but I wouldn't be happy not knowing how my representative in parliament was actually voting.
Good point...spot on.
Old 28th January 2021, 03:20 AM   #1758
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
There's a difference.

I agree with the sentiment - democracy in action must be done in sunlight. It's a great goal to aim for.

But what it also does is scare the bejeesus out of the weaker politicians. Most of them won't have the intestinal fortitude to vote against their party's diktat. Because not only can you see how they vote, so can their political leaders and holders of their political fates and fortunes see how they vote. So after they get into government, that's who they will be serving, not you or their electorate.

If they had the opportunity to vote secretly then they just might pluck up the courage to properly represent, not just sheeple along as Mitch commands.
Old 28th January 2021, 04:09 AM   #1759
Susheel
Graduate Poster

...But what it also does is scare the bejeesus out of the weaker politicians. Most of them won't have the intestinal fortitude to vote against their party's diktat. Because not only can you see how they vote, so can their political leaders and holders of their political fates and fortunes see how they vote. So after they get into government, that's who they will be serving, not you or their electorate....
But consider the fact that it does not provide sufficient information about a representative to help the electorate (from either end of the political spectrum) make an informed choice at the polls.
Old 28th January 2021, 04:18 AM   #1760
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
But consider the fact that it does not provide sufficient information about a representative to help the electorate (from either end of the political spectrum) make an informed choice at the polls.
I agree. That's how it SHOULD work. But it doesn't.

Example: Lindsey Graham. Can he be relied on to vote to support his electorate? Especially recently? Or even vote a reasonably consistent line on a specific topic? Or even to vote to maintain a sense of pride in himself? Nope. He can be relied on only to vote to save his own worthless seat in the Senate. Every time. Whatever his "leaders" tell him to do, that's how he votes. Even if 10 minutes ago he voted the diametric opposite way. Because it keeps him there. And all his "leaders" can see him doing that because his vote is not private.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics