IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2010 elections , democratic party , Parker Griffith , party-switching , republican party

Old 22nd December 2009, 08:16 PM   #1
applecorped
Banned

The Rep Parker Griffith Vent Thread!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122203508.html

Freshman Rep. Parker Griffith (D-Ala.) switched his affiliation to the Republican Party on Tuesday, saying he could "no longer align myself with a party that continues to pursue legislation that is bad for our country."
Griffith was elected last year to succeed retiring Democratic Rep. Bud Cramer. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee dropped more than $1 million in independent expenditures to keep the seat, and Griffith won with 51 percent, even though only 38 percent of voters in the north Alabama district chose Barack Obama for president.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Meh, the Dems lose a House seat in the South to the GOP, and earlier this year the GOP lost a Senate seat to the Dems in New England.

Old 22nd December 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
Meh, the Dems lose a House seat in the South to the GOP, and earlier this year the GOP lost a Senate seat to the Dems in New England.

[sotto voce]
Pennsylvania is not in New England.
[/sotto voce]
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:07 PM   #4
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122203508.html

Freshman Rep. Parker Griffith (D-Ala.) switched his affiliation to the Republican Party on Tuesday, saying he could "no longer align myself with a party that continues to pursue legislation that is bad for our country."
Griffith was elected last year to succeed retiring Democratic Rep. Bud Cramer. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee dropped more than $1 million in independent expenditures to keep the seat, and Griffith won with 51 percent, even though only 38 percent of voters in the north Alabama district chose Barack Obama for president.

I just want to know... WTF did Mr. Griffith learn about the Democratic Party agenda between last November and now?
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Aw, I thought he was a Senator for a minute. Got me excited.

Must suck for the voters, though.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:13 PM   #6
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
I just want to know... WTF did Mr. Griffith learn about the Democratic Party agenda between last November and now?
He learned that once the Democrats successfully pushed through health care reform that the rightwingers would go completely bazoo, his district is in a socially-conservative section of the South, and he did the math.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
He learned that once the Democrats successfully pushed through health care reform that the rightwingers would go completely bazoo, his district is in a socially-conservative section of the South, and he did the math.

He may be right about the math going against him as a Dem. But even more certain, in my opinion, is that he's toast in a GOP primary. In this climate, there's no way yesterday's conserva-dem wins against teabaggery.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:27 PM   #8
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
He may be right about the math going against him as a Dem. But even more certain, in my opinion, is that he's toast in a GOP primary. In this climate, there's no way yesterday's conserva-dem wins against teabaggery.
Agreed. And, for that matter, a lot of GOPers have much to fear in those upcoming primaries because some of them won't pass the Tea Party litmus test. I'm particularly interested in watching how the Senate primary in Florida works out for the GOP.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics