IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags democratic party , democrats , hal bidlack

Old 29th June 2010, 04:33 PM   #1
corplinx
JREF Kid

Hal Moderates the Democratic Party

Quote:
I do need to address one concern with you all. Some of you may have heard that at times in our Executive Committee meeting on the 14th, we had some issues with civility. While it was, and strongly remains, my commitment to have our meetings be as open and inclusive as possible, and while I remain absolutely committed to letting every voice be heard, we must remain civil. We simply canít have people yelling at each other, calling each other names, and questioning each otherís integrity and character. I mean it most sincerely when I say that I consider each and every one of you my friend. And friends may disagree, they may disagree very strongly, but they remain friends. And as such, I must insist that, at all future events, we resist the urge to let our passions get the better of us. As long as Iím in charge, weíll let everyone speak, but I shall insist that when one person is speaking, he or she must be listened to with respect. And then when another person speaks, that person has the floor. If anyone cannot abide by that simple rule, that person shall be warned twice, and then if she or he cannot engage in civil discourse, the violator will be required to leave the meeting.
http://www.peakdems.org/?p=4839

2012 is looking worse every day for them.
Old 29th June 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by corplinx View Post

Sounds to me like he is saying that the teatrash are not to be allowed to disrupt a meeting. What's the deal? Why is this an issue?
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Wait... how does what happens at a local county assembly have any bearing on 2012 national politics?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 05:19 PM   #4
corplinx
JREF Kid

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Wait... how does what happens at a local county assembly have any bearing on 2012 national politics?
Google sarchasm
Old 29th June 2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Sounds to me like he is saying that the teatrash are not to be allowed to disrupt a meeting.
I have a feeling that is not at all what he is saying.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 05:44 PM   #6
johnny karate

Google sarchasm
I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake. Perhaps you could explain what specifically was sarcastic about your post so even the dull-witted among us can enjoy your dazzling gift for satire.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 06:12 PM   #7
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
I have a feeling that is not at all what he is saying.
He says that the rule shall be that the person speaking has the floor and that is that. What else could he have intended by taking that position? The only disruptors I have seen at Democratic functions are LaRouchies, anarchist and teatrash.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Quote:
The only disruptors ...
It's not about disruptors. 97% of Democrats are not mission oriented .

As Rudolph Giuliani once said (yeah I know he's not a Democrat), "Be **** ing civil God d*** it!".

But the Democratic County Chairman of El Paso County said it the nicer Colorado way.

Last edited by Abdul Alhazred; 29th June 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
He says that the rule shall be that the person speaking has the floor and that is that. What else could he have intended by taking that position? The only disruptors I have seen at Democratic functions are LaRouchies, anarchist and teatrash.
Maybe it is worth asking Hal?

Colonel Bidlack,

Is it fair to categorize any of the meeting attendees who may have contributed to the civility issues as LaRouchies, anarchist, and/or teatrash?

Yours truly,
DAO

I doubt he will respond, but you never know.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 08:43 PM   #10
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

I think Hal was just trying to say "look folks, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over"
Old 30th June 2010, 07:34 AM   #11
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
I think Hal was just trying to say "look folks, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over"
He's still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the Democrats' mission!
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2010, 07:47 AM   #12
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Google sarchasm
OK:

The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It's a long story of people who lack perspective and bear grudges a very, very long time.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 11:02 AM   #14
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

To a conspiracy nut, everything looks like jews illuminati NWO Bilderbergers tea partiers.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 12:16 PM   #15
GrouchoMarxist

Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
He's still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the Democrats' mission!
That's because he's an officer and a gentleman - but nobody ever said it would be a stylish marriage.
Old 2nd July 2010, 06:10 AM   #16
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

I never expected an opportunity to use that smiley.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:11 AM   #17
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Disagreements are not a bad thing.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:12 AM   #18
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
That's because he's an officer and a gentleman - but nobody ever said it would be a stylish marriage.
Can they afford a carriage?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:15 AM   #19
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Must have been a pretty tame bunch of Dems, where do you live Valium Valley?
Old 2nd July 2010, 04:05 PM   #20
GrouchoMarxist

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Can they afford a carriage?

Look, he's putting himself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Old 2nd July 2010, 05:10 PM   #21
SezMe
post-pre-born

Pretty bad case of cherry-picking Corp. Reading the full article gives exactly the opposite impression.

Tsk, tsk.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:40 PM   #22
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
Pierce County, which is mostly Republican.
Old 3rd July 2010, 04:56 AM   #23
GrouchoMarxist

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Must have been a pretty tame bunch of Dems, where do you live Valium Valley?
Valium Valley was founded by the La Rochies back in the sixties. It was a laid-back scene until the anarchists came along with their teatrash and harshed everyone's buzz.

ETA: Republicant shrub Halliburton.

Last edited by GrouchoMarxist; 3rd July 2010 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Why not.
GrouchoMarxist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2010, 03:00 PM   #24
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Am I the only one who read "A Note From Our County Chair" and thought it said "A Note From Our Comfy Chair"??

But I digress.

I have--sad to say--encountered quite a few folks who cannot distinguish between insult and argument, and who are quick to reach damning conclusions without engaging in the time-consuming and intellectually challenging processes of considering evidence and evaluating reasoning, much less the bother of becoming basically informed about an issue before forming an opinion on it.

These are the folks who need to shut up and listen so that they might learn something, but they think they need to set everybody straight with their brilliant views. These are the folks who talk the most and contribute the least. These are often the ones who can't tell the difference between simple good manners and political correctness, and because they are opposed to notions of political correctness, they are impolite horses' asses.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2010, 08:18 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Even money on our friend lefty being meek as a mouse at any such gathering where someone might put a face and a name to the invective he spews here pseudonymously.

Any takers?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 10:59 PM   #26
corplinx
JREF Kid

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
These are the folks who need to shut up and listen so that they might learn something, but they think they need to set everybody straight with their brilliant views. These are the folks who talk the most and contribute the least. These are often the ones who can't tell the difference between simple good manners and political correctness, and because they are opposed to notions of political correctness, they are impolite horses' asses.
Enough editorial about Hal already, its too late and he's already their chairman.
Old 9th July 2010, 07:11 AM   #27
johnny karate

Hey corplinx, per your instructions I've googled "sarchasm" multiple times, and none yielded an explanation as to what exactly was meant to be sarcastic about your OP.

Please enlighten me.

Last edited by johnny karate; 9th July 2010 at 07:13 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics