IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags barack obama , democratic party , New York primary , primary elections

Old 5th February 2008, 10:43 AM   #1
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

I voted! Did you?

I've just come back from my local voting site, having at the last minute changed my mind and voted for Barack Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

I guess there's only one more thing to say now:

Barack Obama for President!
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 11:41 AM   #2
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
I've just come back from my local voting site, having at the last minute changed my mind and voted for Barack Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

I guess there's only one more thing to say now:

Barack Obama for President!
Sweet! Now we just need several millions of others to do the same...

What's your state?

edit: What was your gut telling you when you made the switch?
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 11:42 AM   #3
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

I be gonna, in a few hours.
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 12:12 PM   #4
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

come on CR...you know deep down you wanna vote for Obama...

come on, come on....

just kidding...good luck man.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 12:14 PM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. I believe in my state you have to register as a Democrat or a Republican. Only an idiot would do that.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 12:44 PM   #6
TheDoLittle
Disco King Discombobulator

I voted this morning before heading to school, and as a card carrying libertarian...

I voted Obama as well!

I am such a shill... 8-)
America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week. - Evan Esar / No one can earn a million dollars honestly. - William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) / If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
TheDoLittle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I did indeed vote today. I voted for Obama in Missouri.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I cast my ballot proudly for the next President of the United States, John McCain.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 01:08 PM   #9
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
come on CR...you know deep down you wanna vote for Obama...

come on, come on....

just kidding...good luck man.

TAM
Mayhap if Obama had thoughtfully and lovingly left generic envelopes filled with Benjamins in my mail slot at the Raidey Roost Estates like Billary did - we'd be Obamating today. But nooooooooooooooo!

So the exalted She will get my vote t'day. Which reminds me - gotta go vote! I'm outta here, Doc...
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Nope. I believe in my state you have to register as a Democrat or a Republican. Only an idiot would do that.
Roughly my position.

I get enough junk mail as it is. Getting scads more from either, or both, or many parties once registered as either is not earth friendly. Dead trees, dead presidents, and dead wrong.

I reserve the right to decide who is pissing me off more, or disgusting me less, up until a minute before I vote.

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 01:27 PM   #11
rcronk
Muse

I voted for Romney.

Has someone done a poll here about forum members' political leanings? I'm not sure which keywords to search for to find out for myself if such a poll has been taken.
rcronk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 01:37 PM   #12
latent aaaack
Muse

I'm going to vote for some ridiculous third party candidate who's actions as president I'll never have to take partial responsibility for. I don't want to reward the major parties for providing such... choices. But I'll try to find a third party candidate that's female, black, or an unusual religion adherent.
latent aaaack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 01:40 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Roughly my position.

I get enough junk mail as it is. Getting scads more from either, or both, or many parties once registered as either is not earth friendly. Dead trees, dead presidents, and dead wrong.

I reserve the right to decide who is pissing me off more, or disgusting me less, up until a minute before I vote.

DR
I got Ten Phone Calls from the Romney campaign last night.
I was not going to vote for him anyway but that made damn sure I would not.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Cello Man
Graduate Poster

My wife and I will be voting for Obama, but Texas doesn't have its primary until March 4th.
Old 5th February 2008, 01:48 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I cast my ballot proudly for the next President of the United States, John McCain.
Way,Way,too soon to say that,but some of the Democrats here who are already measuring the White House windows for new Curtains are going to be in for a unpleasent surprise. It is not going to be the slam dunk that a lot of them think,since IMHO both Obama and Clinton have weaknesses as candidates that McCain can exploit.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 01:49 PM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I can see voting for Obama as the best of a indifferent lot, but I do not understand making a messiah out of him like some people are doing.
Old 5th February 2008, 02:05 PM   #17
Gnu World Order
Thinker

Today I'll vote for Clinton.

I suspect in November I'll vote for Obama.
Gnu World Order is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 02:06 PM   #18
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I voted for my Personal Savior Barack Obama The Prophet May Peace Be Upon Him.
Old 5th February 2008, 02:08 PM   #19
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Our primary isn't until September, but during the caucus on Feb. 19, I will go and stand in a corner for my Personal Savior Barack Obama The Prophet May He Live Forever.
Old 5th February 2008, 02:10 PM   #20
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post

Me, too.

Originally Posted by chipmunk stew View Post
What was your gut telling you when you made the switch?

That Obama has a better chance against McCain.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 02:13 PM   #21
latent aaaack
Muse

I'm going to vote for which ever third party candidate my dog runs to when I put two TVs in front of him. I know, I know, not a scientific way of choosing - so I'll do a hundred trials to make sure the correlation is really significant.

And don't tell me how I should use my right to vote, my dog has strong emotions about politics too.
latent aaaack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 02:14 PM   #22
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Way,Way,too soon to say that,but some of the Democrats here who are already measuring the White House windows for new Curtains are going to be in for a unpleasent surprise. It is not going to be the slam dunk that a lot of them think,since IMHO both Obama and Clinton have weaknesses as candidates that McCain can exploit.
It's a tradition to call the presumptive nominee of your party the next President of the United States. And after tonight I think he's the nominee.

He will definitely have an uphill fight against whomever the nominee of the Democrats come up with because of general public antipathy to the Republicans from moderates.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 02:17 PM   #23
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

He will definitely have an uphill fight against whomever the nominee of the Democrats come up with because of general public antipathy to the Republicans from moderates.
yup...which is why I see Obama beating him, but Hillary not. If Hillary wins the nod, the REP base will be out voting in November supposing Rupaul is the REP nominee.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 02:19 PM   #24
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I think McCain's best chance (assuming he makes it to the general election) is for Clinton to get the Democratic nomination.
Old 5th February 2008, 02:30 PM   #25
Tressa
Muse

The jackbutts scare me less than the pinkelephantsonparade so as of today the Dems get my vote (I'm registerd independent) in November.
Carpe Amor: "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin; it is the triumphant twang of a bedspring." ~SJ Perelman
Tressa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 02:33 PM   #26
Cylinder
Philosopher

I guess I just signed up as a McCainiac here in Arkansas.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 02:56 PM   #27
PAC
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I would rather register independent. Doing so would keep me from voting in the primary of the party I choose to register with. It is simply a way to give myself some additional imput to the process.

My state's primary is several weeks away. There may still be a race at that point, I guess today will have a lot to do with that.
Old 5th February 2008, 03:25 PM   #28
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

So, the exalted She just got my vote.

There was a crack contingent of Clintonistas behind the voting tables who demanded I return the $1,843.22 that Billary had lovingly issued to me, via my mail slot at the Raidey Roost Estates. I refused. When you do that you can keep the dough, but then they make you wear a Hillary mask and change into a copycat of one of Her skirt/blouse outfits, specially created by Vermucci/Grucci/Sarducci from their fabulous Super Tuesday Spring Collection. You have to wear that in the voting booth and also on the walk home.

I've still got it on. Not too shabby, since I've got decent gams if the light is just so and the room ambience is perfect. I'd say I came out ahead.

GO
HILLARY!
Old 5th February 2008, 03:46 PM   #29
supercorgi
Dog Everlasting

I got two phone calls from Hillary and one from Bill and not a single call from Obama! Hhhhrrruummpptt, if he thinks that little of me, he can go pound sand.

<whine>Obama, why don't you call me anymore?</whine>

supercorgi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 04:01 PM   #30
mortimer
NWO Janitor

The wife doesn't want to go to the Kansas Dem caucus an hour's drive away by herself. I'm registered GOP so I wouldn't be allowed inside, and to heck if I'm waiting outside in this weather (32F and raining)!
Old 5th February 2008, 04:13 PM   #31
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Something tells me staying in the car might be a good idea...lol

TAM
Old 5th February 2008, 05:11 PM   #32
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chipmunk stew View Post
Sweet! Now we just need several millions of others to do the same...

What's your state?

edit: What was your gut telling you when you made the switch?

Yup! Well, if this thread is any evidence and indicator I've got some very good news for Obama.

New York.

In the first place, I think Obama would have better chances against someone like McCain or Romney than Hillary would. Also, I'm a bit pissed off that since 1989 the President of the United States of America has been either a Clinton or a Bush .
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 05:16 PM   #33
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

Hutch has a birthday
Voted Democrat in Alabama (yes, there are a few of us here) and somewhat to my surprise, I voted for Obama (the best candidate for 2012).

Hiliary would be my second choice, but another 4-8 years of the wildly partisan bickering the Bush/Clinton years have produced is simply not something I have an appetite for.

So...Obama.
Old 5th February 2008, 05:29 PM   #34
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

I voted for Obama at my polling place, which was in the back room of a local restaurant. But I must admit, I liked the last polling place better, it was in an auto body shop that had some beautifully restored 1930's era cars in the room where the voting booths were.
Old 5th February 2008, 05:48 PM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well,now the Paul campaign is saying they will win in Alaska.
And probably lose big everyplace else.
I have not yet seen ONE Ronulan come up with a realistic scenario for Paul getting the nomination. It's just "Ron is Getting the Word Out".
Old 5th February 2008, 06:00 PM   #36
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Voted Democrat in Alabama (yes, there are a few of us here) and somewhat to my surprise, I voted for Obama (the best candidate for 2012).

Hiliary would be my second choice, but another 4-8 years of the wildly partisan bickering the Bush/Clinton years have produced is simply not something I have an appetite for.

So...Obama.
I will be supporting Obama at my local caucus that starts about an hour from now.

I don't expect the partisan bickering to end regardless of who wins the election. What I do see coming is a really nasty campaign. Not from the candidates, but from special interest groups working on the sidelines.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 06:33 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I will be supporting Obama at my local caucus that starts about an hour from now.

I don't expect the partisan bickering to end regardless of who wins the election. What I do see coming is a really nasty campaign. Not from the candidates, but from special interest groups working on the sidelines.
I agree. McCain is known as generally a very civil person (he has an occasional burst of temper but it does not last) and Obama is going to want to portray himself as a uniter,but the Rush Limbaugh;s and Move On's of the world actually hate and loath those of opposing opinions,and they will do there best to keep the ideologically wars going since their goal is not to just to elect but to destroy the opposition as being either Godless Commies or Nazi Neocons.
The hardcore ideologues on both sides might yet suceeding in wrecking this country.
Old 5th February 2008, 07:38 PM   #38
Kopji

Abut 15 inches of fresh new snow to wade through this morning, but it was all neatly plowed in front of the quaint little corner 'The Journey Church' where the polling took place. For all the goofiness of Arizona, it is pretty easy to get on the primary ballot and there were about 30 candidates to choose from. Mostly random housewives, small business owners, and maybe some teachers trying to teach a civics lesson. Ah the temptation...

Independents can't vote in Arizona primaries but apolitical bastards could easily join any party before Jan 7th to vote in the primary. Not liking favorite son shoo-in McCain, I am officially a Democrat for the first time in my life, if only for a few months, and for like, one vote.

So go Obama! Woooo.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 07:48 PM   #39
Sefarst
Graduate Poster

I like the Paul Begala quote I just heard: "Look, there's nobody more conservative than Mike Huckabee, I mean he doesn't believe in evolution, gravity, or photosynthesis..."

That said, GO JOHN MCCAIN!
Sefarst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 09:28 PM   #40
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Well,now the Paul campaign is saying they will win in Alaska.
And probably lose big everyplace else.
I have not yet seen ONE Ronulan come up with a realistic scenario for Paul getting the nomination. It's just "Ron is Getting the Word Out".
I don't like Ron Paul but... I don't think anyone here had any other choice either. Was anyone else running? You couldn't tell by the signs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics