IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hillary clinton , democratic party , barack obama

Old 7th June 2008, 01:08 AM   #41
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
In particular, his statement about an undivided Jerusalem was hugely dissappointing.
On the Diane Rehm show, which I listen to in podcast form, they were saying that this position is to the right of Ehud Olmert. Obama did later issue a clarification that if the Israelis agreed to it he wouldn't stand in the way. A caller who seemed to be a Palestinian sympathizer called in and said he would not vote for Obama because of it.

From a purely cynical political perspective, however, this is a kind of insurance for Obama. McCain and Co. had been making political hay about how Hamas supposedly endorsed Obama. This reduces the possibility of some nasty October surprise in which Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran or god forbid Al Qaeda endorses Obama to pretty much zero.
Old 7th June 2008, 04:21 AM   #42
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I think he's doing what is a political necessity. Less the evangelical vote than the Jewish vote and other forms of support. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to see that the political power of Jews is greater than their numbers. There's also a lot of Americans who aren't Jews themselves, but sympathize with the Jews. They also make campaign contributions. There's a lot of them in the media and Hollywood. And they are a traditional democratic constituency. Guys like Marty Peretz, owner of the New Republic. Can you imagine a serious candidate for president who doesn't genuflect to AIPAC? I can't think of any recent one who didn't.
Any suggestions on how we can break the power of the Jews in this country?
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 05:20 AM   #43
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
Move!

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 05:28 AM   #44
Dr Adequate
Banned

No, that's the wonderful, wonderful thing.

Whatever happens, you will be terrified that your country is secretly being run by Evil Jews.

You are punished by your sins. That's funny. I appreciate it. You never will, 'cos of you being a moron. But I think that this is so sweet.
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 07:58 AM   #45
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I happen to think that Jews are good for the country. They are very smart people. Many scientists. Maybe you or someone you love doesn't have polio because of the vaccine invented by Jonas Salk, a Jewish scientist.

Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman, Carl Sagan, to name just a few. Many Nobel prizewinners.
Old 7th June 2008, 09:51 AM   #46
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Clinton is giving her concession speech now.
Old 7th June 2008, 10:14 AM   #47
Dragoonster
Graduate Poster

One doesn't require the other. There are thousands of US Jews who are against the occupation and want a 2-state solution. Who criticize Israel for not following UN resolutions, or the US for vetoing them unilaterally. I'm not sure they want a lessening of the US-Israel alliance, but they want the Israel portion of it to be much more responsible, and the US to be more "tough love".

What we need is a public awareness campaign of the occuption, its downsides to regional stability, forcing inconsistent US policy in the region, and that it's simpy immoral and wrong. The best way this would be done is if doves from Israel (who've held substantial office) travelled here and gave speeches/held meetings/talked to the media to highlight the issue. Americans criticizing Israel will always be labelled anti-semites, Israeli Jews criticizing it greatly lessen the strength of that charge, and would hopefully force viewers to grant the issue objective thought.

But I guess this is derailing so that's it from me.

Good Clinton speech so far.
Dragoonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 10:28 AM   #48
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

'There are no acceptable prejudices in the 21st century'. Nice line.

There was a rumour she stayed in the race to show young girls that you shouldn't quit. It seemed to be supported in what she said here.

However, it looked like it was very difficult for her to endorse the guy. Very difficult.
Old 7th June 2008, 11:07 AM   #49
Diagoras
Unrepentant Francophile

Nevertheless, I think it was a good speech, though she could have done it with a little less self-praise IMHO. I just hope it's effective at getting her supporters to not stay home or worse, vote for McCain.
Old 7th June 2008, 11:11 AM   #50
David Wong
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Diagoras View Post
Nevertheless, I think it was a good speech, though she could have done it with a little less self-praise IMHO. I just hope it's effective at getting her supporters to not stay home or worse, vote for McCain.
This one speech won't do it, it's a matter of how much she campaigns with (not for, WITH) Obama over the next 5 months.
David Wong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 11:12 AM   #51
Diagoras
Unrepentant Francophile

Yes, very true. If she doesn't do everything she possibly can to help Obama, and Obama loses, you can bet she'll get the blame just as much as Nader did.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics