IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags democratic party , barack obama

Old 5th June 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Obama Changing the Democratic Party

Quote:
Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean and the Obama for America Campaign today announced that the DNC will no longer accept Washington lobbyist donations, making the same commitment as Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

"The DNC and the Obama Campaign are unified and working together to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States. Our presumptive nominee has pledged not to take donations from Washington lobbyists and from today going forward the DNC makes that pledge as well," said Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean. "Senator Obama has promised to change the way things are done in Washington and this step is a sure sign of his commitment. The American people's priorities will set the agenda in an Obama Administration, not the special interests."
Linky.

Woot!
Old 5th June 2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Pookster
Graduate Poster

Neither Obama or the DNC really needs the lobbyists donations. McCain will still be way behind in fund raising when this is all over with.
Pookster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Linky.

Woot!
I promise to stop aiming nuclear weapons at Lichtenstein.

Does that not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside?

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 02:54 PM   #4
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
I promise to stop aiming nuclear weapons at Lichtenstein.

Does that not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside?

DR
Dang! I promised to give up lutefisk until you stopped aiming your nuclear weapons at Lichtenstein.

Daredelvis
daredelvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 03:04 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pookster View Post
Neither Obama or the DNC really needs the lobbyists donations. McCain will still be way behind in fund raising when this is all over with.

What Obama and the DNC will do is set up " Indepedent Poltical Action Commities" to accept the dough.
And note that they said nothing about prohibiting Demoractic congresspeople from accepting donations from poltical lobbiests. And the congress is what counts in this game.
More nice sounding but meaningless poltical crap.
But the young and nieve Obama supporters act like it is the second coming.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
More nice sounding but meaningless poltical crap.
Possibly, but this is the sort of thing I was bringing up in my leadership thread...

What would you expect McCain (or whomever) to actually do differently?

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 03:15 PM   #7
gdnp

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post

(sounds of crickets chirping....)
gdnp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Sefarst
Graduate Poster

Possibly, but this is the sort of thing I was bringing up in my leadership thread...

Differently from the DNC?

I LOLed at this thread. I would like to make a promise as well. From this day forward I, Sefarst, pledge to stop getting to work by horse-drawn buggy. Can I get a "woot!" too, Tsukasa Buddha? Afterall, we can't have all that manure in the streets...
Sefarst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Sefarst View Post
Afterall, we can't have all that manure in the streets...
Yeah, keep it where it belongs, in the JREF politics forum.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Differently from the DNC?

I LOLed at this thread. I would like to make a promise as well. From this day forward I, Sefarst, pledge to stop getting to work by horse-drawn buggy. Can I get a "woot!" too, Tsukasa Buddha? Afterall, we can't have all that manure in the streets...
Right. But as a non-American, non-Dem, non-Rep, I can't see any reason to say that it's manure, beyond typical political cynicism. What are the other candidates saying (and especially doing) that is any better than manure?

Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Sefarst
Graduate Poster

Right. But as a non-American, non-Dem, non-Rep, I can't see any reason to say that it's manure, beyond typical political cynicism. What are the other candidates saying (and especially doing) that is any better than manure?
It's campaign season. 90% of everything said is total manure. Obama pledges not to take donations from Washington lobbyists to woo the naive bumper-sticker thinkers into thinking that he's rising above the political fray. McCain says he supports a suspension of the gas tax against the obvious knowledge of economists in the hopes of wooing those ignorant about basic economics.

Depending on where the candidates are, they'll promise anything to anyone. Hillary Clinton went to Puerto Rico and tried to fill their heads with anything she thought they might like, such as statehood. Obama goes to places where NAFTA is unpopular and trashes it, then goes to places where it is popular and is silent on the subject. McCain tries to court the evangelicals after having a long history of butting heads with them. Welcome to the American presidential elections. Round 1 just ended, please return to your seats for the rest of the show.
Sefarst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2008, 08:13 PM   #12
Jimbo07
Illuminator

It's campaign season. 90% of everything said is total manure.
I agree. This is a result of either direct lying, or a realization after the fact that realpolitik resists said solution.

However, by singling out the DNC, I thought you were making a biased assertion.

Just good ol' cynicism, then?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics