IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags democratic party , political speculation

Old 1st December 2016, 09:38 PM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Going forward, who will be the face of the Democratic Party?

We are starting to see the first signs of a new generation of Democratic leaders tentatively step forward and try to put the mess that the party is in back into some sort of order. Democrats such as Tim Ryan (no relation to Paul, AFAIK) and Jason Kander are young, articulate and definitely not burdened down with the negative baggage of the Clinton/Pelosi/DWS crowd.

Who are you seeing where you live as the new "young guns" of the party?
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Obama will remain the face of the Democrats, thus stifling the development of new leadership.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:23 PM   #3
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

^How do you figure that? He seems intent on fading off into the background.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:25 PM   #4
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

No he doesn't. He intends to be working at the grassroots level to get things turned around for 2018. He also will be guiding Trump as much as he is allowed to to hopefully allay the amount of damage the man can do.
Old 1st December 2016, 10:26 PM   #5
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Tammy Duckworth, Castro twins, Cory Booker, and that new woman whose name I cannot remember.
Old 1st December 2016, 10:33 PM   #6
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

^ Zephyr Teachout?
Old 1st December 2016, 10:34 PM   #7
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
^ Zephyr Teachout?
Pardon?
Old 1st December 2016, 10:36 PM   #8
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Kamala Harris.
Old 1st December 2016, 11:22 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

^How do you figure that? He seems intent on fading off into the background.
You're talking about a guy who published two memoirs by the time he turned 40. I think we're going to see plenty more of Barack Obama. Speaking tours, community organization, publicity stunts on behalf of fellow Democrats... Bill Clinton hasn't faded off into the background. Why would Barack Obama? Why should Barack Obama?

What, you think that after leaving the Oval Office, he's going to retire to a ranch in Chicago, or Hawaii? Take up charity work and painting, and limit his comments on world affairs?

Assuming you believe Barack Obama is a good man and a force for good in the world, do you even want him to fade off? Do you think he wants to fade off?

Last edited by theprestige; 1st December 2016 at 11:26 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:55 AM   #10
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
Kamala Harris.
Ah, ok. I've heard a lot about Teachout too. Did remarkably well for an outsider/Bernie-style progressive

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You're talking about a guy who published two memoirs by the time he turned 40. I think we're going to see plenty more of Barack Obama. Speaking tours, community organization, publicity stunts on behalf of fellow Democrats... Bill Clinton hasn't faded off into the background. Why would Barack Obama? Why should Barack Obama?

What, you think that after leaving the Oval Office, he's going to retire to a ranch in Chicago, or Hawaii? Take up charity work and painting, and limit his comments on world affairs?

Assuming you believe Barack Obama is a good man and a force for good in the world, do you even want him to fade off? Do you think he wants to fade off?
He seems awfully timid at the moment. Not taking a strong stand (or any stand really) in favor of a full investigation/audit into election fraud and foreign influence before permitting a transfer of power. Playing a very "lets work together" note despite massive Democratic outrage. I just don't get an "Im sticking around" vibe from him.

Bill is done. So is Hillary. They have no credibility left after this mess. (Bill was already done, really.)
Old 2nd December 2016, 01:30 AM   #11
Tolls
Philosopher

He seems awfully timid at the moment. Not taking a strong stand (or any stand really) in favor of a full investigation/audit into election fraud and foreign influence before permitting a transfer of power. Playing a very "lets work together" note despite massive Democratic outrage. I just don't get an "Im sticking around" vibe from him.
He's trying to ensure a decent handover. There's no point him getting involved in any election shenanigans. If (and it's such an outside 'if' as to be fantasy) the result is overturned then he'll deal with that when it happens. There is absolutely no point in him getting all arsey over Trump...it would be extraordinarily un-statesmen-like.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:15 PM   #12
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Quote:
Going forward, who will be the face of the Democratic Party
Pet Peeve Alert:
You are talking about time here. What other direction could we be going?

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:17 PM   #13
The Big Dog

Tammy Duckworth, Castro twins, Cory Booker, and that new woman whose name I cannot remember.
Tammy Duckworth is a dope.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:19 PM   #14
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
She won.
Get over it.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:21 PM   #15
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
She won.
Get over it.
lolz, does not mean she ain't a dope.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:22 PM   #16
Civet
Graduate Poster

Jason Kander got my attention during his unsuccessful but pretty good Senate run. Decent enough speaker, good background, young, shows some skill at using new media. I don't know about the face but I think he'll be a player going forward.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:07 PM   #17
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
She won.
Get over it.
FYI so did Trump.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:29 PM   #18
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
FYI so did Trump.
Is Trump a dope?
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:07 PM   #19
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Based on?
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:26 PM   #20
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

lolz, does not mean she ain't a dope.
She's dope would be a good thing, though.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:36 PM   #21
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Is Trump a dope?
Is this going to be another Donald Trump thread? Oh well ... someone brought it up ... so I feel kind of justified - no, Trump isn't a dope. He's a sphincter (and environs). People who know him know this. Whereas "people say" Hillary is, personally, pretty likable.

Moving forward ... (yes it is a cliche, but like most cliches it serves a purpose) I will check out the names people put forth on this thread. A woman would be nice, but not mandatory. There will be fresh talent, I'm sure.

Obama and Michelle were easy on the eyes though. A post-millenial Camelot couple that clicked. I'll miss them.

ETA: They won't exactly fade away, yet in some ways they already have. Barack more than Michelle. I will always feel that their hearts were in the right place, and that is something I hope to say of future candidates, R or D.

Last edited by Minoosh; 2nd December 2016 at 10:40 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:06 PM   #22
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Is Trump a dope?
I would say he is at least a dope.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:21 AM   #23
Tero
Master Poster

Any of the white guys here will do for 2020 run
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ates_governors

I don't even know the Democrats here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...s_by_seniority
except Warren and Franken and Reid

President Franken? I dunno. He might have to impersonate himself on SNL

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 3rd December 2016 at 06:30 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:58 AM   #24
NoahFence
Banned

Katy Perry
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 07:02 AM   #25
NoahFence
Banned

She's a war hero.
I know conservatives for whatever reason don't appreciate war hero's anymore, but aside from the big 3 knocks (female, foreign and disabled) maybe you might elaborate?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 07:27 AM   #26
3point14
Pi

Isn't it going to depend on who can get the most corporate sponsorship?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 07:37 AM   #27
The Big Dog

Based on?
based on the fact that she fired two whistleblowers in the Illinois veterans affairs office in Illinois, got sued by them, was not endorsed by any veterans groups in her Illinois election. she only won her seat in the House because Mike Madigan gerrymandered the **** out her district.

She is one of Madigan's pawns and now he has his sleazy fingers back in the Senate.
Old 4th December 2016, 09:48 AM   #28
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
She's a war hero.
I know conservatives for whatever reason don't appreciate war hero's anymore, but aside from the big 3 knocks (female, foreign and disabled) maybe you might elaborate?
Mister, she's not foreign, she's American. Please don't insult my fellow former military helicopter pilot (and props to her for winning the election, regardless of whether or not her opponent scored an own goal in the process).
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 05:55 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Bill Clinton hasn't faded off into the background. Why would Barack Obama? Why should Barack Obama?

What, you think that after leaving the Oval Office, he's going to retire to a ranch in Chicago, or Hawaii?
I always figured he'd join the other ex-presidents in Changri-La. That's where they go, right? They don't just take them out behind the woodshed, do they?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 06:13 AM   #30
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Isn't it going to depend on who can get the most corporate sponsorship?
Nancy Pelosi is still minority leader, so that looks like a pretty safe bet.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 05:14 PM   #31
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Bernie Sanders!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 05:59 PM   #32
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

If you want a face that'll turn voters toward the Democrats, you can't beat Donald Trump.
Old 5th December 2016, 06:16 PM   #33
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
If you want a face that'll turn voters toward the Democrats, you can't beat Donald Trump.
That's worked well so far.
Old 5th December 2016, 06:17 PM   #34
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Castro twins,
Not anymore, one of them's dead.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:16 PM   #35
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Bernie Sanders!
Sanders would be the most logical choice.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 11:19 PM   #36
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Looks like Nancy Pelosi has her place again. I swear I thought for certain Bernie would have had her job? Her return has left me scratching my head. I'm wondering what is the thinking with keeping Pelosi? Cement the CA vote or???
Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 11:23 PM   #37
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
She's a war hero.
I tried reading his response. It wasn't worth the time or effort.

I quite admire Ms. Duckworth.
Old 5th December 2016, 11:26 PM   #38
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Not anymore, one of them's dead.
Too funny. Oh god. My sides.
Old 5th December 2016, 11:53 PM   #39
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Looks like Nancy Pelosi has her place again. I swear I thought for certain Bernie would have had her job? Her return has left me scratching my head. I'm wondering what is the thinking with keeping Pelosi? Cement the CA vote or???
Chris B.
She's good at fundraising. And that's what matters to the Democrats still in office.

It's sort of like the problem with urban zoning restrictions and the lack of affordable housing development: it's the existing property holders who get to vote, and they vote to protect their property value against the potential future residents who don't have a vote. It's the democrats who survived the electoral carnage that get a vote for speaker, not the potential democratic representatives who aren't in office because of her disastrous leadership.
Old 6th December 2016, 07:37 AM   #40
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Chris B.

Well, that would've been a unique move - the Dems naming a Senator as their House Leader.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics