IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:14 PM   #3961
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's nasty, but not necessarily a conspiracy if you go on the assumption that they really prefer Biden to Bernie. It's of course quite possible that they're engaging in nefarious strategy to undercut Bernie, and that's likely to be the effect, but if they actually want Biden to be nominated you can hardly expect them to play along as if they didn't.

I like Bernie, and I think he'd make a pretty good president, but he is running for a party nomination in a party that he hasn't actually joined. While I'd like to see the organization take him in and treat him better, I can't entirely fault them for being biased toward those who have belonged to it, and served it, for a long time.

With that said, I think the idea of "electability" is a poor one. It's anybody's guess, and it's often guessed wrong, and the people whose supposedly electable candidate loses the nomination tend to flounce. The party should nominate whoever best represents the party and its members, and then make them as electable as possible by doing the work.

That's actually consistent with what I said; I never claimed it was conspiratorial.

I do strongly agree with your comments on electability.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:17 PM   #3962
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
One reason is to avoid the humiliation of coming in fourth, fifth or sixth and and having to acknowledge "I guess nobody loves me." It's also possible that they sincerely believe it will be easier for Trump to beat Sanders than Biden, and wanted to help Biden -- which is not the same as sabotaging Sanders.

Maybe, but it seems to me like "saving face" is a very weak reason to just forfeit the millions of dollars invested in the campaign without even seeing what returns you might get on Super Tuesday.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:49 AM   #3963
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I can! They are indeed conspiring...but not for politics. They're in love! It's a secret, forbidden romance. Him, the hitherto Official First Gay Candidate, it would devastate the public to learn he fell for a woman. Her, the Abusive Boss, it would shock the people to learn she possesses the tender emotions. It was unexpected but so profound, the way their eyes locked across the debating arena, his dollar-sign-shaped pro-capitalist pupils and her basilisk unjust-prosecution glare, and just like that in an instant it was True Love! They agreed to throw away their candidacies because neither could bear the thought of defeating the other, of perhaps winning office and being thus forever set out of reach of the beloved...they've snuck away in secret to indulge in the carnal, bestial lusts in a seedy motel room, their forms locked together in unthinkable passion!

Either that, or Bloomberg just bought them off.
Kismesis?
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:00 AM   #3964
Aridas

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Maybe, but it seems to me like "saving face" is a very weak reason to just forfeit the millions of dollars invested in the campaign without even seeing what returns you might get on Super Tuesday.
For Mayor Pete, I've read that he spent the overwhelming portion of those millions on Iowa and New Hampshire. Not really so much left for the many and larger states of Super Tuesday.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:13 AM   #3965
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Considering the runaway results for Biden from South Carolina, and the fact that a fair number of the Super Tuesday states also have fairly high African American demographic stats, it's difficult to imagine that either Buttigieg or Klobuchar could realistically have expected to gain enough delegates each to have actually mattered toward a result. To me it makes far more sense for the Democratic party as a whole to reduce the dilution in this big chunk of voting and see what the voters go for between the main likely contenders.

Personally I really liked Buttigieg. I hope he runs again in years to come.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:54 AM   #3966
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
For Mayor Pete, I've read that he spent the overwhelming portion of those millions on Iowa and New Hampshire. Not really so much left for the many and larger states of Super Tuesday.

If Super Tuesday was still a ways away I could see your point. However, it was tomorrow at the time he dropped out. It don't cost nothin' to just wait and see how tomorrow goes.
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:26 AM   #3967
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

We seem to be covering Corvid pretty well here in the thread.

In the meantime, how is that "historic" deal that the Great Dealmaker-in-Chief made with the Taliban actually working out?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:27 AM   #3968
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats in the House should propose a very simple one year Payroll Tax cut. Great for the middle class, great for the USA!

WOW! Sleepy Joe doesn’t know where he is, or what he’s doing. Honestly, I don’t think he even knows what office he's running for!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:39 AM   #3969
Aridas

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
We seem to be covering Corvid pretty well here in the thread.

In the meantime, how is that "historic" deal that the Great Dealmaker-in-Chief made with the Taliban actually working out?
Already broken, I think?

ETA: Yup.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd March 2020 at 03:44 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:40 AM   #3970
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you
@JackBrewerBSI We’re with you all the way. The American people know what’s going on, they totally get it. Watch what happens in November 2020! Thank you for your continued support. Together, we are going to KEEP AMERICA GREAT! #BlackVoicesforTrump

Quote Tweet
Team Trump (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TeamTrump
Former NFL player @JackBrewerBSI was attacked by CNN and called an "Uncle Tom" for supporting President @realDonaldTrump.
The Left HATES all that President Trump has done for Black Americans! #BlackVoicesforTrump
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:44 AM   #3971
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Australia’s Central Bank cut interest rates and stated it will most likely further ease in order to make up for China’s Coronavirus situation and slowdown. They reduced to 0.5%, a record low. Other countries are doing the same thing, if not more so. Our Federal Reserve has us....

....paying higher rates than many others, when we should be paying less. Tough on our exporters and puts the USA at a competitive disadvantage. Must be the other way around. Should ease and cut rate big. Jerome Powell led Federal Reserve has called it wrong from day one. Sad!
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:51 AM   #3972
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Australia’s Central Bank cut interest rates and stated it will most likely further ease in order to make up for China’s Coronavirus situation and slowdown. They reduced to 0.5%, a record low. Other countries are doing the same thing, if not more so. Our Federal Reserve has us....

....paying higher rates than many others, when we should be paying less. Tough on our exporters and puts the USA at a competitive disadvantage. Must be the other way around. Should ease and cut rate big. Jerome Powell led Federal Reserve has called it wrong from day one. Sad!
"Other countries" have different ways to address health care and gun control issues too; but god forbid we should ever even consider another country's approach to those issues as a possible model for ours. "Hell no! We're Amurrica, dammit! We're special!"

Trump may have a point here, I don't know enough about economics to say one way or the other. But it seems a little uneven (to say the least) to use what works for other countries as an argument for one special case and then argue that the same reasoning can't apply in another.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:15 AM   #3973
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Tweets ...Should ease and cut rate big. Jerome Powell led Federal Reserve has called it wrong from day one. Sad!
Based on his track record, Donald Trump is the absolute last person I want to take financial advice from. From Market Watch's Tim Mullaney:
Quote:
The New York Times report on Trump’s taxes showed what a clown Trump was in business — a history of pratfalling interrupted from time to time by deals where partners did the work, he stole from suckers, or he simply failed to make his usual catastrophic mistakes. Link
Twenty years from now high school kids are going to be asking their history teachers, "How could anyone have supported this man?"

Answer: "It's complicated."
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:26 AM   #3974
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Based on his track record, Donald Trump is the absolute last person I want to take financial advice from. From Market Watch's Tim Mullaney:

Twenty years from now high school kids are going to be asking their history teachers, "How could anyone have supported this man?"

Answer: "It's complicated."
Nah the answer will be: We don't talk about that.
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:16 AM   #3975
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
"Other countries" have different ways to address health care and gun control issues too; but god forbid we should ever even consider another country's approach to those issues as a possible model for ours. "Hell no! We're Amurrica, dammit! We're special!"

Trump may have a point here, I don't know enough about economics to say one way or the other. But it seems a little uneven (to say the least) to use what works for other countries as an argument for one special case and then argue that the same reasoning can't apply in another.

It's interesting to note that "Lower the interest rates!" is his solution to every problem. Has he ever mentioned raising them, under any circumstances?
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:25 AM   #3976
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's interesting to note that "Lower the interest rates!" is his solution to every problem. Has he ever mentioned raising them, under any circumstances?
Personally, I distrust anyone who wants to lower interest rates. It means they're a borrower, and greedy as well. People who manage their money properly don't need to borrow. They lend, and want high interest rates to do so, as is only fair.

People clamoring for low interest rates are pretty much level with people clamoring for low priced heroin. Their desire to indulge in bad practices doesn't need to be indulged at the expense of everyone else.
Old 3rd March 2020, 07:38 AM   #3977
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Personally, I distrust anyone who wants to lower interest rates. It means they're a borrower, and greedy as well. People who manage their money properly don't need to borrow. They lend, and want high interest rates to do so, as is only fair.

People clamoring for low interest rates are pretty much level with people clamoring for low priced heroin. Their desire to indulge in bad practices doesn't need to be indulged at the expense of everyone else.
What is wrong with saddling future generations with mountains of debt to pay for my heroin!?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:10 AM   #3978
Armitage72
Philosopher

There's now been an emergency rate cut, but I'm sure he'll say it isn't enough.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:31 AM   #3979
Worm
Illuminator

I suspect he'll just see it as people leaping to answer his every whim, because he now sits in the big boy chair.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:37 AM   #3980
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I suspect he'll just see it as people leaping to answer his every whim, because he now sits in the big boy chair.
He's see it that way because he's right, that's the government he's created.

Everyone who's not a toady yes man is gone.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:57 AM   #3981
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Federal Reserve is cutting but must further ease and, most importantly, come into line with other countries/competitors. We are not playing on a level field. Not fair to USA. It is finally time for the Federal Reserve to LEAD. More easing and cutting!
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:00 AM   #3982
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Prayers for all of those affected by the devastating tornadoes in Tennessee. We will continue to monitor the developments. The Federal Government is with you all of the way during this difficult time.

Mini Mike Bloomberg can never recover from his incompetent debate performances. Also, as mayor he was very bad under pressure - a choker!

New book by @charliekirk11, already number 1, “The MAGA Doctrine”. Really great, SUPPORT CHARLIE KIRK. Buy now!

Texas & Oklahoma: Mini Mike Bloomberg will kill your drilling, fracking and pipelines. Petroleum based “anything” is dead. Energy jobs gone. Don’t vote for Mini Mike!
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:02 AM   #3983
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It's interesting to note that "Lower the interest rates!" is his solution to every problem.
Now that's not fair. Cutting interest rates isn't his only solution. He also wants more tax cuts.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:11 AM   #3984
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post

Quote:
Trump Tweets

Australia’s Central Bank cut interest rates and stated it will most likely further ease in order to make up for China’s Coronavirus situation and slowdown. ...Our Federal Reserve has us....

....paying higher rates than many others, when we should be paying less. ...Should ease and cut rate big.
Trump may have a point here, I don't know enough about economics to say one way or the other.
No, no he doesn't.

There are a number of factors that go into determining interest rates, most of them domestic. The fed wants to keep the economy strong, but without overheating, and they also want to keep inflation low. And, they also need to leave enough flexibility to handle problems that may come in the future.

If Trump had his way and the fed cut rates, it might boost the economy, but:

- the economy is already over-stimulated, thanks to huge republican-inspired deficits. Stimulating it more could lead to a bubble, followed by a huge crash

- It would leave the government with little to do when the inevitable recession DOES hit. The idea is that when the economy slows down, you want to cut interest rates to help get it started again. If interest rates are slashed NOW (when the economy is still growing) they won't have the ability to cut later when real problems start to occur.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:14 AM   #3985
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Economics on the scale of an entire national economy is so complicated that even a smart President with a strong background in economics would still need several really good economist of various disciplines in their administration to make sound economic decisions.

There's... plenty of places where Trump's insane delusion where he's the best at everything makes thing worse, but this is one of the biggest.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd March 2020 at 09:17 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:28 AM   #3986
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
"the fundamentals of the US economy remain strong"

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
No, no he doesn't.

There are a number of factors that go into determining interest rates, most of them domestic. The fed wants to keep the economy strong, but without overheating, and they also want to keep inflation low. And, they also need to leave enough flexibility to handle problems that may come in the future.

If Trump had his way and the fed cut rates, it might boost the economy, but:

- the economy is already over-stimulated, thanks to huge republican-inspired deficits. Stimulating it more could lead to a bubble, followed by a huge crash

- It would leave the government with little to do when the inevitable recession DOES hit. The idea is that when the economy slows down, you want to cut interest rates to help get it started again. If interest rates are slashed NOW (when the economy is still growing) they won't have the ability to cut later when real problems start to occur.
There's also the lessons learned through the late 80s/90s. If you slash too deep or too rapidly, people think "oh my god it must be really bad" and what was intended as encouragement backfires.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:36 AM   #3987
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Economics on the scale of an entire national economy is so complicated that even a smart President with a strong background in economics would still need several really good economist of various disciplines in their administration to make sound economic decisions.

There's... plenty of places where Trump's insane delusion where he's the best at everything makes thing worse, but this is one of the biggest.
He likely has massive debt tied to the prime rate.
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:39 AM   #3988
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He likely has massive debt tied to the prime rate.
How can that be? He put all his wealth into a blind trust! We saw the stack of papers!

We are Groot - Groot
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:30 AM   #3989
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Federal Reserve is cutting but must further ease and, most importantly, come into line with other countries/competitors. We are not playing on a level field. Not fair to USA. It is finally time for the Federal Reserve to LEAD. More easing and cutting!

Armitage72 called it! Less than an hour.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:59 AM   #3990
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

It was my great honor to address the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference where 1,200 County Leaders whose incredible devotion, talent, and drive directly and profoundly improve the lives of millions of Americans each and every day.

#PrayForNashville

Prayers for all of those affected by the devastating tornadoes in Tennessee. We will continue to monitor the developments. The Federal Government is with you all of the way during this difficult time.
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:08 PM   #3991
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Market dropped 700 Points despite the rate cut.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:12 PM   #3992
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Market dropped 700 Points despite the rate cut.
Because the market loves it when you add unpredictibility to an already unpredictible situation.
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:23 PM   #3993
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So has anyone else heard the theory that sometime between now and the election, probably July 16th to really step on the toes of whoever the Democratic Nominee is gonna be, Trump is going to annouce he's dumping Pence and running with Nikki Haley in 2020?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/polit...-vp/index.html
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:19 PM   #3994
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Defense Secretary Warns Commanders Not to Surprise Trump on Coronavirus

Quote:
Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper has urged American military commanders overseas not to make any decisions related to the coronavirus that might surprise the White House or run afoul of President Trump’s messaging on the growing health challenge, American officials said.
Quote:
Mr. Esper told commanders deployed overseas that they should check in before making decisions related to protecting their troops.
Quote:
In response, Mr. Esper said he wanted advance notice before General Abrams or any other commander made decisions related to protecting their troops.
Old 3rd March 2020, 03:22 PM   #3995
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump regrets that they have but one life each to give for his reelection.
Old 3rd March 2020, 04:01 PM   #3996
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So has anyone else heard the theory that sometime between now and the election, probably July 16th to really step on the toes of whoever the Democratic Nominee is gonna be, Trump is going to annouce he's dumping Pence and running with Nikki Haley in 2020?

Having put Pence in the coronavirus crosshairs, The PDJT has a built-in excuse for deciding to go with someone else if he so chooses. Pence knows he's in a no-win situation.
Old 3rd March 2020, 04:05 PM   #3997
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Actually , the theory that Pence is being set up to be the fall guy /scape goat for the corona virus is pretty commonplace for over a week now.
Kill two birds with one stone.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 03:44 AM   #3998
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

I am calling on Congress to send me a Bill that fully and permanently funds the LWCF and restores our National Parks. When I sign it into law, it will be HISTORIC for our beautiful public lands. ALL thanks to @SenCoryGardner and @SteveDaines, two GREAT Conservative Leaders!

I commend the hard work of Senator @SteveDaines and @SenCoryGardner in protecting funding for the Land and Water Conservation Fund for years to come. The citizens of Montana and Colorado thank you both!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 4th March 2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:48 AM   #3999
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The biggest loser tonight, by far, is Mini Mike Bloomberg. His “political” consultants took him for a ride. $700 million washed down the drain, and he got nothing for it but the nickname Mini Mike, and the complete destruction of his reputation. Way to go Mike!

Elizabeth “Pocahontas” Warren, other than Mini Mike, was the loser of the night. She didn’t even come close to winning her home state of Massachusetts. Well, now she can just sit back with her husband and have a nice cold beer!

Mini Mike, don’t lick your dirty fingers. Both unsanitary and dangerous to others and yourself!
Old 4th March 2020, 03:51 AM   #4000
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Judge Napolitano
@Judgenap
Hillary Clinton Faces a Catch-22 in Deposition

Democrats Discussing Ways to Stop Bernie Sanders

Ronna McDaniel
@GOPChairwoman
The WINS continue to pour in for @realDonaldTrump
Thank you to the millions of supporters in ARKANSAS, COLORADO, MINNESOTA and TEXAS!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics