IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 08:05 AM   #3681
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

There has rarely been a juror so tainted as the forewoman in the Roger Stone case. Look at her background. She never revealed her hatred of “Trump” and Stone. She was totally biased, as is the judge. Roger wasn’t even working on my campaign. Miscarriage of justice. Sad to watch!

A total miscarriage of justice!
Quote Tweet

Judge Napolitano
@Judgenap
Roger Stone judge's bias may have jeopardized entire trial...
https://foxnews.com/media/roger-ston...resident-trump
I think Trump should be jailed for trying to get these people killed. It won't ever happen, but he should be.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 08:06 AM   #3682
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
All the pardons he issued recently prove he doesn't need any preparing just to issue pardons, so if he is preparing something, it's not that.

I suspect he's hoping all his bluster will stampede the courts into doing what he wants before they get to the conviction and sentencing stage, just like how it works for proper dictators.
I think it's more nefarious. He wants to send the message to any future jurors in any Trump cases that they better rule in favor of Trump or he'll make their lives hard.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 08:19 AM   #3683
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What's a "chocker"?
Just one more attribute for a jocker, a smocker, and a midnight tocker.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:39 AM   #3684
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think it's more nefarious. He wants to send the message to any future jurors in any Trump cases that they better rule in favor of Trump or he'll make their lives hard.

There's that as well.

It's all part of delegitimizing the courts. If he can get to the point where they even consider the question of "Will this prosecution piss off Trump?", then the courts will have lost, even if they decide to go forward with the prosecution.

There's three possible outcomes to asking that question:
  1. No, it won't piss off Trump
  2. Yes, it will piss off Trump, so we won't do it.
  3. Yes, it will piss off Trump, but we'll do it anyways.

The first admits that even asking the question is a legitimate concern, and that political considerations should have an impact on court cases.

The second is obviously flawed.

But the third is still a problem, because it enables the Trump fable of "The courts are biased against me, they're only doing this to piss me off!" It plays into the narrative he's spinning for his followers, that the courts are already illegitimate.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:44 AM   #3685
Belz...
Fiend God

But the third is still a problem, because it enables the Trump fable of "The courts are biased against me, they're only doing this to piss me off!" It plays into the narrative he's spinning for his followers, that the courts are already illegitimate.
It's a good thing that Trump doesn't have too long left to live, but I wonder who his GOP successor will be.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 08:51 AM   #3686
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump's gotten a lot of mileage out of bouncing the "Deep State" conspiracy theory off of the nihilistic try-hards who excuse everything he does away with "everbody does it" and getting those two mentalities to feed off each other.

The message in both cases is "Everyone's playing the same game, ya'll just mad because I'm winning."

Again we as a society spent the last 20 years or so convincing ourselves there was no effective way of dealing with a troll except to ignore them and now there'a a troll in power who we can't ignore and we've got nowhere to go.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 09:14 AM   #3687
StillSleepy
Muse

Also doesn't help that the moderation board and the admins won't use the figurative ban hammer. Or the literal ban hammer. Which would probably be more satisfying before the whining starts.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 09:40 AM   #3688
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Trump not knowing how to spell 'choker' ?
As POTUS might say “Spelling is for loosers.“
Old 26th February 2020, 09:58 AM   #3689
Belz...
Fiend God

Loosers need to tighten up!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:27 AM   #3690
DetectedMotion
Scholar

What's a "chocker"?
Ask Trump. I would ask How much ************ could DJT chock because ************ is what DJT loves to chock
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:33 AM   #3691
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, it doesn't chock me that Trump can't spell.

Old 26th February 2020, 10:35 AM   #3692
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump also went on record during his trip to India that "Liberal Judges" should recuse themselves from casing involving him.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/polit...sal/index.html
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 10:50 AM   #3693
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump also went on record during his trip to India that "Liberal Judges" should recuse themselves from casing involving him.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/polit...sal/index.html
Weaponising political polarisation, I see. "Only those on my team get to decide whether my plays are legal because the other guys would be biased against me" sounds like a great idea.

Old 26th February 2020, 03:15 PM   #3694
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We might be seeing what a number of us have been afraid of: A crisis that is a genuine crisis, not one self manufactured by Trump's own stupidity,and in which he willhave do deal with things that are not in his power to control,and with the possibility of people dying as a result of a wrong decision.Be afraid. Be very Afraid.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 03:43 PM   #3695
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So, Trump (or at least his campaign team) is suing the NY Times over an opinion piece they published in 2019...

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/trum...n-article.html
The campaign said that the Times falsely reported “as fact a conspiracy with Russia” in the op-ed written by Max Frankel, which was published on March 27, 2019, under the headline “The Real Trump-Russia Quid Pro Quo.”
Frankel wrote, in the article’s first paragraph, that during the 2016 election, “There was no need for detailed electoral collusion between the Trump campaign and Vladimir Putin’s oligarchy because they had an overarching deal: the quid of help in the campaign against Hillary Clinton for the quo of a new pro-Russian foreign policy, starting with relief from the Obama administration’s burdensome economic sanctions.”

I'm not really sure what exactly is going through the minds of the Trump team. From the way its described, it sounds like it's well grounded in both facts and with the way it was written.... Russia did interfere in the election, and Trump did ease Russian sanctions.

Plus, you also have the whole 'First Amendment' thing going.

I doubt very much that the Trump campaign will win this case, and dragging up the whole "Russian conspiracy" stuff will help remind people that Trump couldn't win the first time without foreign assistance.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:12 PM   #3696
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I'm not really sure what exactly is going through the minds of the Trump team. From the way its described, it sounds like it's well grounded in both facts and with the way it was written.... Russia did interfere in the election, and Trump did ease Russian sanctions.

What's going on is, they're believing their own propaganda. And with the push on to eliminate anyone who isn't personally loyal to Trump, expect it to get worse, not better.
Old 26th February 2020, 04:25 PM   #3697
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Nancy has allowed her District to go down more than any other in the USA! Hardly even recognizable.
Quote Tweet

DeAnna for CongressFlag of United Statesvs Nancy
@DeAnna4Congress
I'm DeAnna Lorraine, Conservative Sicilian spitfire running against Nancy Pelosi for Congress. I will replace her soulless leadership with love, laws, & fierce patriotism.
Tick-tock Old Nan, your day of reckoning is coming for your crimes against AmericansAlarm clockFire
#ByeNancy
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:26 PM   #3698
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So, Trump (or at least his campaign team) is suing the NY Times over an opinion piece they published in 2019...

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/trum...n-article.html
The campaign said that the Times falsely reported “as fact a conspiracy with Russia” in the op-ed written by Max Frankel, which was published on March 27, 2019, under the headline “The Real Trump-Russia Quid Pro Quo.”
Frankel wrote, in the article’s first paragraph, that during the 2016 election, “There was no need for detailed electoral collusion between the Trump campaign and Vladimir Putin’s oligarchy because they had an overarching deal: the quid of help in the campaign against Hillary Clinton for the quo of a new pro-Russian foreign policy, starting with relief from the Obama administration’s burdensome economic sanctions.”

Plus, you also have the whole 'First Amendment' thing going.

I doubt very much that the Trump campaign will win this case, and dragging up the whole "Russian conspiracy" stuff will help remind people that Trump couldn't win the first time without foreign assistance.
Suing people in hope it will make them back off is an old,old, Trump tactic.
It will not work with the NYT.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:28 PM   #3699
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What's going on is, they're believing their own propaganda. And with the push on to eliminate anyone who isn't personally loyal to Trump, expect it to get worse, not better.

Gee, didn't a guy in charge of Germany who had a cute little mustache do the same thing...get rid of anybody who was not a lackey and a yes man?
And didn't it turn out pretty bad for him and Germany?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2020, 04:46 PM   #3700
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Nancy has allowed her District to go down more than any other in the USA! Hardly even recognizable.
Quote Tweet

DeAnna for CongressFlag of United Statesvs Nancy
@DeAnna4Congress
I'm DeAnna Lorraine, Conservative Sicilian spitfire running against Nancy Pelosi for Congress. I will replace her soulless leadership with love, laws, & fierce patriotism.
Tick-tock Old Nan, your day of reckoning is coming for your crimes against AmericansAlarm clockFire
#ByeNancy
In a district where Pelosi (as one of five Democratic candidates) recieved 68.5% of the votes compared to 9.1% for the lone Republican candidate, I'm wishing Ms. Lorraine the best of luck on that one.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:47 PM   #3701
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just one more attribute for a jocker, a smocker, and a midnight tocker.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 05:57 PM   #3702
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I nominated it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 06:01 PM   #3703
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
In a district where Pelosi (as one of five Democratic candidates) recieved 68.5% of the votes compared to 9.1% for the lone Republican candidate, I'm wishing Ms. Lorraine the best of luck on that one.
I think Ms. Lorraine's chances of swimming across San Francisco bay with an anchor chained to her are better then winning this election.
For the record, most Republicans running for office in The San Francisco bay area runs as moderate Schewarnegger type conservatives..liberal on social issues,conservative on most fiscal issues, now the kind of Trumpist that Lorraine is running as.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 26th February 2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 26th February 2020, 06:08 PM   #3704
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Mini-Mike Pence is going to be in charge of the War on Corona. Which basically means he'll pray it away. As long as it isn't female, then he can't be in the same room.
Oh, and did you know that there's PROOF it's a plot against Trump? Because Dr. Nancy Messonier of the CDC is Rod Rosentein's sister.
Old 26th February 2020, 06:11 PM   #3705
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Mini-Mike Pence is going to be in charge of the War on Corona. Which basically means he'll pray it away. As long as it isn't female, then he can't be in the same room.
Oh, and did you know that there's PROOF it's a plot against Trump? Because Dr. Nancy Messonier of the CDC is Rod Rosentein's sister.
Old 26th February 2020, 06:27 PM   #3706
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I nominated it.
Good. I think Tragic Monkey has some stiff competition in alfaniner.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 06:27 PM   #3707
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So now that the Dow has dropped several hundred points over the past few days (due largely to fears of the Coronavirus impacting the economy), and after Trump has complained about the media's reporting on the disease, Trump has finally decided to appoint someone to coordinate the U.S. efforts to address the disease.

So who is this expert that will be tasked with the job of keeping America free from infection? Did they find someone who is experienced in epidemiology? Someone with a medical background?

Nope.... Trump gave the job to Mike Pence.

From: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...esponse-117790
President Donald Trump appointed his Vice President Mike Pence to lead a task force to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
Health experts are likely to quibble Trump's assessment of Pence's record as governor overseeing health epidemics. While Pence was governor of Indiana, the state’s Scott County experienced the largest HIV outbreak that Indiana had seen in decades — an outbreak public health experts said was preventable.

Pence... the man who once called global warming a myth, and who believes in intelligent design, is going to be the one overseeing efforts to combat the coronavirus.

Do you feel safer now?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 06:36 PM   #3708
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So now that the Dow has dropped several hundred points over the past few days (due largely to fears of the Coronavirus impacting the economy), and after Trump has complained about the media's reporting on the disease, Trump has finally decided to appoint someone to coordinate the U.S. efforts to address the disease.

So who is this expert that will be tasked with the job of keeping America free from infection? Did they find someone who is experienced in epidemiology? Someone with a medical background?

President Donald Trump appointed his Vice President Mike Pence to lead a task force to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
Health experts are likely to quibble Trump's assessment of Pence's record as governor overseeing health epidemics. While Pence was governor of Indiana, the state’s Scott County experienced the largest HIV outbreak that Indiana had seen in decades — an outbreak public health experts said was preventable.

Pence... the man who once called global warming a myth, and who believes in intelligent design, is going to be the one overseeing efforts to combat the coronavirus.

Do you feel safer now?
Pence will pray it away. Or send those diagnosed with corona virus to conversion camps where they'll pray it into just an acceptable cold.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 26th February 2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 26th February 2020, 06:59 PM   #3709
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Now Pence being in charge of the War On Corona is a reason to pray......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2020, 07:02 PM   #3710
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Do you feel safer now?
Why do I think this move is not going to reassure the markets.
He is doing this just to kiss up to his Fundy Christian base. THis is the most critical problem he has faced as POTUS,and he is playing freaking poitics for us.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2020, 07:56 PM   #3711
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

There is of course also the possibility that Trump, facing re-election, has finally realized that there is a limit to how tyrannical and stupid his policies can appear even to his base, so he has distanced himself from the inevitable debacle by finding someone even stupider than himself - even perhaps stupid enough to believe that Trump will have his back. If the Corona virus hits a certain point, it's more likely that Trump will start calling him "Vice President What'sisname," that guy he barely knew.

The Trump regime always strikes me a little like that of the emperor in Star Wars. Every time some minion fails to get the desired results, the emperor kills him, and there, sure enough, another minion raises his hand and says "pick me pick me."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 07:57 PM   #3712
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Already rumors that Trump has been told by some CDC and HHS people that fatalaties are almost inevitable, and that basically Mikey is being set up as the fall guy to take the rap.
Not sure I buy that, but I think that Pence could make a good fall guy passed through Donnie's mind.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:00 PM   #3713
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

DP.
I see Bruto beat me to it, to a degree.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:01 PM   #3714
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
There is of course also the possibility that Trump, facing re-election, has finally realized that there is a limit to how tyrannical and stupid his policies can appear even to his base, so he has distanced himself from the inevitable debacle by finding someone even stupider than himself - even perhaps stupid enough to believe that Trump will have his back. If the Corona virus hits a certain point, it's more likely that Trump will start calling him "Vice President What'sisname," that guy he barely knew.

The Trump regime always strikes me a little like that of the emperor in Star Wars. Every time some minion fails to get the desired results, the emperor kills him, and there, sure enough, another minion raises his hand and says "pick me pick me."
That is a gross insult to Papaltine...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:03 PM   #3715
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It is telling that the first time Trump's spoken two words to or about Pence in recent memory was giving him the job of stopping a pandemic that was already underway.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:04 PM   #3716
StillSleepy
Muse

Yeah, at least Ol' Palpy can do his own dirty work.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 08:04 PM   #3717
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, this is a really well coordinated effort...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...HAI77DL3WPUN5Q

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2020, 08:11 PM   #3718
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

Excuse me, but have you just woken from a 4 year coma?
Old 26th February 2020, 08:15 PM   #3719
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
Yeah, at least Ol' Palpy can do his own dirty work.
And, let's face it, Palpatine had much more natural-looking realistic skin. Even when he was mostly dead!
Old 26th February 2020, 08:19 PM   #3720
StillSleepy
Muse

And, let's face it, Palpatine had much more natural-looking realistic skin. Even when he was mostly dead!
Plagueis taught him well. Skin care is an important skill for any aspiring Sith.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics