IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 08:27 PM   #3721
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Palpy was smarter. A Lot smarter.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 08:50 PM   #3722
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
Plagueis taught him well. Skin care is an important skill for any aspiring Sith.
Disney should license commercials. Dark, sinister laboratory temple place. Zoom in on Palpatine. He cackles, lightning flashes, and he faces the camera to intone "The Dark Side is a pathway to much that is unnatural...but natural, youthful-looking skin doesn't require mastery of the Force at all. It can be yours, with Endoreal Face Formula, available at many fine stores." He could also hawk medicines ("Ask your Bothan if Darthmaulomab is right for you!"), lawsuits ("If you or someone you know was affected by Sarlacc Syndrome as a result of an industrial workplace, call this number today for free information about a settlement"), and denture adhesive (scenes of Palpatine laughing while watching toddler Rey on a tricycle, then eating corn on the cob at an Ewok cookout). Iger didn't read my emails, but I bet the new guy will!
Old 26th February 2020, 09:01 PM   #3723
StillSleepy
Muse

He even already acquired the necessary marketing skills, having been elected as a Senator and getting himself promoted to Emperor Supreme Chancellor. Frankly, I'm not even sure if he missed his calling or made it.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 09:17 PM   #3724
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Already rumors that Trump has been told by some CDC and HHS people that fatalaties are almost inevitable, and that basically Mikey is being set up as the fall guy to take the rap.
Not sure I buy that, but I think that Pence could make a good fall guy passed through Donnie's mind.
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It is telling that the first time Trump's spoken two words to or about Pence in recent memory was giving him the job of stopping a pandemic that was already underway.
This is a no brainer, just the thing Trump was saving Pence up for.

It's a losing proposition for Trump. What better fall guy than Pence?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:49 AM   #3725
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Already rumors that Trump has been told by some CDC and HHS people that fatalaties are almost inevitable, and that basically Mikey is being set up as the fall guy to take the rap.
Not sure I buy that, but I think that Pence could make a good fall guy passed through Donnie's mind.
But to be fair, President Trump has that same thought about friends, family members, subordinates, recently-fired subordinates, cabinet members, foreign dignitaries, cartoon characters....
Old 27th February 2020, 01:36 AM   #3726
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
All the pardons he issued recently prove he doesn't need any preparing just to issue pardons, so if he is preparing something, it's not that.
Not true. On your behalf he spends several hours every morning listening to Fox & Friends to see who he should pardon. Don't diss his hard work.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 02:00 AM   #3727
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Trump not knowing how to spell 'choker' ?
Get real, Glenn. Trump's spelling is correct; the dictionary is wrong.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 02:09 AM   #3728
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So now that the Dow has dropped several hundred points over the past few days (due largely to fears of the Coronavirus impacting the economy), and after Trump has complained about the media's reporting on the disease, Trump has finally decided to appoint someone to coordinate the U.S. efforts to address the disease.

So who is this expert that will be tasked with the job of keeping America free from infection? Did they find someone who is experienced in epidemiology? Someone with a medical background?

Nope.... Trump gave the job to Mike Pence.
Seems appropriate - as far as I can tell, he has nothing else to do. Well, ok, he does have to shine Trump's shoes but still.....
Old 27th February 2020, 03:26 AM   #3729
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They spied on my campaign!
Quote Tweet

Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
· 19h
Comey’s FBI misled the FISA Court 17 times.

We can’t simply reauthorize the system that allowed those lies and omissions to happen.

Now is our chance to fix it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 03:42 AM   #3730
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They spied on my campaign!
Quote Tweet

Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
· 19h
Comey’s FBI misled the FISA Court 17 times.

We can’t simply reauthorize the system that allowed those lies and omissions to happen.

Now is our chance to fix it.
Now is our chance to abolish and hinder any process that might uncover our skullduggery. But we reserve the right to use those same means against our enemies.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 05:28 AM   #3731
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
There is of course also the possibility that Trump, facing re-election, has finally realized that there is a limit to how tyrannical and stupid his policies can appear even to his base, so he has distanced himself from the inevitable debacle by finding someone even stupider than himself - even perhaps stupid enough to believe that Trump will have his back. If the Corona virus hits a certain point, it's more likely that Trump will start calling him "Vice President What'sisname," that guy he barely knew.

The Trump regime always strikes me a little like that of the emperor in Star Wars. Every time some minion fails to get the desired results, the emperor kills him, and there, sure enough, another minion raises his hand and says "pick me pick me."
I highlighted the word in your post that undoes all the rest.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:46 PM   #3732
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I highlighted the word in your post that undoes all the rest.
So sorry. I haven't quite mastered the trumpian language. I meant to say somehow or other someone told him in a way that tickled his self-interest....or something. Maybe Jared wants to run for vice next time around.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:09 PM   #3733
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile in MAGALAND
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...spiracy-117781

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:38 PM   #3734
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The tweet came after Limbaugh aired fears that the virus is being “weaponized” against Trump on his Monday radio program. He accused the “Drive-By Media” of overhyping the threat posed by the virus to tank financial markets.

“There’s nothing unusual about the coronavirus,” opined Limbaugh, who was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Trump earlier this month. Limbaugh, who also compared the virus to the "common cold," followed up on Tuesday by seizing on the Messonnier-Rosenstein connection.

Can a Medal of Freedom be rescinded by the next president? If ever there was a case for it, Limbaugh's is. Trump's done a lot of stupid and outrageous things, and giving Limbaugh the MofF is one of them.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 02:12 PM   #3735
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Mean while the Stock Markets continue in free fall; Trump's news confenrece last night has fallen flat on it's face as for as reassuring Wall Street is concerned.
Not surprised. Wall Street is not stupid;they know incompetence when they see it. And they saw it last night.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2020, 03:19 PM   #3736
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And a few economists are starting to use the R word....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2020, 04:21 PM   #3737
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's Obama's fault. And Nancy's.
Old 27th February 2020, 04:50 PM   #3738
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Disney should license commercials. Dark, sinister laboratory temple place. Zoom in on Palpatine. He cackles, lightning flashes, and he faces the camera to intone "The Dark Side is a pathway to much that is unnatural...but natural, youthful-looking skin doesn't require mastery of the Force at all. It can be yours, with Endoreal Face Formula, available at many fine stores." He could also hawk medicines ("Ask your Bothan if Darthmaulomab is right for you!"), lawsuits ("If you or someone you know was affected by Sarlacc Syndrome as a result of an industrial workplace, call this number today for free information about a settlement"), and denture adhesive (scenes of Palpatine laughing while watching toddler Rey on a tricycle, then eating corn on the cob at an Ewok cookout). Iger didn't read my emails, but I bet the new guy will!
"Ewok cookout" ?
There are two ways to take that... how dark are we going here?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 05:03 PM   #3739
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
"Ewok cookout" ?
There are two ways to take that... how dark are we going here?
One of the first things the Ewoks do when encountering our heroes is trying to roast them over a fire pit. At the end of Return of the Jedi, there seem to be a lot of fires and Imperial uniforms laying around the Ewok settlement. There's all sorts of ways it can be dark...
Old 27th February 2020, 05:07 PM   #3740
StillSleepy
Muse

Look, in the Empire you take your cookouts where you can find them and if that means roasting corn over the smoldering remains of a teddy-bear infested jungle moon, so be it.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 05:14 PM   #3741
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
Look, in the Empire you take your cookouts where you can find them and if that means roasting corn over the smoldering remains of a teddy-bear infested jungle moon, so be it.
Beats whatever weird crap Rey was eating in the first of the new movies. Bubble bread? It looked distinctly claggy and stodgy. I'd rather eat clone meat with the teddy bears.
Old 27th February 2020, 05:18 PM   #3742
StillSleepy
Muse

How Soylent Green is Star Wars?

Old 27th February 2020, 05:53 PM   #3743
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

“Ruh-roh?”
Old 27th February 2020, 05:56 PM   #3744
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Mean while the Stock Markets continue in free fall; Trump's news confenrece last night has fallen flat on it's face as for as reassuring Wall Street is concerned.

Not surprised. Wall Street is not stupid;they know incompetence when they see it. And they saw it last night.
Wall Street is stupid but they know panic when they see it
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 07:06 PM   #3745
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

What the hell is wrong with you people? Almost 24 hours and we're still on the same page?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 07:44 PM   #3746
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? Almost 24 hours and we're still on the same page?
We've all been on our respective same pages since November 2016.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:20 PM   #3747
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Already stories that a crackdown is underway to keep Health and CDC officals from speaking without clearing it with Pence.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2020, 09:45 PM   #3748
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Already stories that a crackdown is underway to keep Health and CDC officals from speaking without clearing it with Pence.
Oh, c’mon.
We’re supposed to believe VP Pence is bright enough and decisive enough to decide what can and cannot be said on an important issue?
Old 27th February 2020, 10:12 PM   #3749
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

The only thing paying attention to the Trump base teaches us is that paying attention to the Trump base doesn't teach us anything.
Old 27th February 2020, 10:20 PM   #3750
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Oh, c’mon.
We’re supposed to believe VP Pence is bright enough and decisive enough to decide what can and cannot be said on an important issue?
Of course not - which is when in doubt he won't let anyone say anything.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:20 PM   #3751
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Of course not - which is when in doubt he won't let anyone say anything.
I kind of figured that if Mr. Trump used to write out letters for his personal doctor to sign, he feels more than qualified to write out letters that a team of doctors will sign. VP Pence’s job will be to just carry the letters to the CDC staff.

I’m waiting for a CDC spokes-person to say,
“Despite the best offorts of the Dumb Democrats to cause hysteria, President Trump’s CDC is exceptionally Close to producing both a vaccine and a cure for the Corona Virus.The President has been very helpful, he knows more about communicable diseases than anyone in the history of our country.”
Old 28th February 2020, 12:45 AM   #3752
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I kind of figured that if Mr. Trump used to write out letters for his personal doctor to sign, he feels more than qualified to write out letters that a team of doctors will sign. VP Pence’s job will be to just carry the letters to the CDC staff.

I’m waiting for a CDC spokes-person to say,

“Despite the best offorts of the Dumb Democrats to cause hysteria, President Trump’s CDC is exceptionally Close to producing both a vaccine and a cure for the Corona Virus.The President has been very helpful, he knows more about communicable diseases than anyone in the history of our country.”
At last Trump can use his military experience!
Old 28th February 2020, 12:47 AM   #3753
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump is still aspiring to be as cool as the big boys, Putin and Xi.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:31 AM   #3754
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Anti-Trump Network @CNN doing whatever it can to stoke a national Coronavirus panic. The far left Network pretty much ignoring anyone who they interview who doesn’t blame President Trump.” @trish_regan @FoxNews
Media refuses to discuss the great job our professionals are doing!

Congratulations and thank you to our great Vice President & all of the many professionals doing such a fine job at CDC & all other agencies on the Coronavirus situation. Only a very small number in U.S., & China numbers look to be going down. All countries working well together!

“Diagnosis positive: @CNN is infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome. I’m calling out CNN for irresponsibly politicizing what should be a unifying battle against a virus that doesn’t choose sides.” @trish_regan @FoxNews
Like I say, they are Fake News!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th February 2020 at 03:35 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:33 AM   #3755
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

So, the Coronavirus, which started in China and spread to various countries throughout the world, but very slowly in the U.S. because President Trump closed our border, and ended flights, VERY EARLY, is now being blamed, by the Do Nothing Democrats, to be the fault of “Trump”.

The Do Nothing Democrats were busy wasting time on the Immigration Hoax, & anything else they could do to make the Republican Party look bad, while I was busy calling early BORDER & FLIGHT closings, putting us way ahead in our battle with Coronavirus. Dems called it VERY wrong!

“Federal Court Deals Major Blow To Sanctuary Cities.” @FoxNews In other words, there will be no more Federal Tax Dollars to States & Cities that will not cooperate with Federal Law Enforcement (ICE). This is BIG NEWS! Funds will be cut off immediately. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Old 28th February 2020, 05:18 AM   #3756
Belz...
Fiend God

Now all he has to do is to make sure all of their officials are women, so they can never tell anyone anything.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:42 AM   #3757
The_Animus
Illuminator

Apparently the Trump administration decided to repatriate Americans infected/exposed to the coronavirus against the advice of the CDC. Then they sent US health and human services employees without training or proper protective equipment to interact with then. Those employees were not screened and were allowed to leave the area and interact with the public and even board a commercial flight. Now a case is confirmed in the area this took place.

The whistleblower who reported this was retaliated against and forced to change positions or be fired.

The incompetence is astounding.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:47 AM   #3758
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Apparently the Trump administration decided to repatriate Americans infected/exposed to the coronavirus against the advice of the CDC. Then they sent US health and human services employees without training or proper protective equipment to interact with then. Those employees were not screened and were allowed to leave the area and interact with the public and even board a commercial flight. Now a case is confirmed in the area this took place.

The whistleblower who reported this was retaliated against and forced to change positions or be fired.

Bloody hell.

Old 28th February 2020, 08:48 AM   #3759
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post

It's almost as if Trump and his administrator were ******* morons, but I've been assured by our resident Trump supporters that can't possibly be true.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:49 AM   #3760
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Latest Whitehouse whinge and advice. First the whinge:

Quote:
Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney has accused the media of stoking a coronavirus panic because they hope it will "take down" President Trump.

"We took extraordinary steps four or five weeks ago. Why didn't we hear about it? What was going on four or five weeks ago? Impeachment. And that's all the press wanted to talk about," he told a gathering of conservatives on Friday.

He said the press covered impeachment - which saw Mr Trump acquitted earlier in February - because they thought "it would bring down the president".

"The reason they are paying so much attention to it today is that they think this is going to bring down the president, that's what this is all about," he continued.
and the advice:

Quote:
His advice for the markets, which have been tanking worldwide over virus fears: "Turn off your televisions for 24 hours."
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics