IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 06:04 PM   #3801
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't see that as a likely scenario.
Anyway, Palast has pushed some pretty crackpot ideas.

You don't see it as a likely scenario??? It's happening as we speak. Did you hear nothing about the Georgia gubernatorial race in 2018?

I guess your refusal to heed the news is not limited to reports of Bernie Sanders' support.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 06:31 PM   #3802
The_Animus
Illuminator

Trump has the Senate and the SCOTUS to support him. Even if they don't rig the election and he loses what is going to stop them from claiming fraud and refusing to give up power?

Literally nothing as far as I can see.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 06:34 PM   #3803
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I am pleased to announce the nomination of @RepRatcliffe (Congressman John Ratcliffe) to be Director of National Intelligence (DNI). Would have completed process earlier, but John wanted to wait until after IG Report was finished. John is an outstanding man of great talent!
Quote:
Trump yanked Ratcliffe from the running last year but put the blame for his decision squarely on the media, saying he did not want to put the former prosecutor through “months of slander and libel.”

“I explained to John how miserable it would be for him and family to deal with these people,” Trump said last August.
https://www.courthousenews.com/trump...ligence-chief/

I guess Trump is now ready to put Ratcliffe and his family through those "months of slander and libel."

Ratcliffe's resume must have changed since last August when it was exposed there was a "series of discrepancies in Ratcliffe’s records and credentials."*

* Otherwise known as a bunch of lies.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 07:14 PM   #3804
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Trump has the Senate and the SCOTUS to support him. Even if they don't rig the election and he loses what is going to stop them from claiming fraud and refusing to give up power?

Literally nothing as far as I can see.
If you really think that, logical thing to do is get a rifle and learn how to use it.
It will have reached the Civil War state by then.
Or why bother to vote at all if you think that is going to happen.
And I hope that would be going to far for even the Supreme court.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 28th February 2020 at 07:19 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 07:18 PM   #3805
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Seriosly, if things are as bad as some people here are saying, Preparing for armed resistence is the only logical response.
Or they are just venting.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 07:21 PM   #3806
The_Animus
Illuminator

If you really think that, logical thing to do is get a rifle and learn how to use it.
It will have reached the Civil War state by then.
Or why bother to vote at all if you think that is going to happen.
And I hope that would be going to far for even the Supreme court.
Nah. I'll just abandon ship to a country that isn't insane.

Seriously though. What do you think will stop Trump and his lapdogs from doing what I said?

Last edited by The_Animus; 28th February 2020 at 07:22 PM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 07:34 PM   #3807
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Nah. I'll just abandon ship to a country that isn't insane.

Seriously though. What do you think will stop Trump and his lapdogs from doing what I said?
I think throwing out the constitution, which is what we are talking about, would be too much even for a few Republicans in the senate and a couple of the conservative justices on the Supreme court.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 28th February 2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 28th February 2020, 08:15 PM   #3808
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think throwing out the constitution, which is what we are talking about, would be too much even for a few Republicans in the senate and a couple of the conservative justices on the Supreme court.
Agreed. All this 'civil war' and 'revolution' talk is just Chicken Little "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" talk.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:44 PM   #3809
StillSleepy
Muse

Depends on if the Republicans are Original Recipe or Extra Crispy.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:45 PM   #3810
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Source?
Not seeing that on any newsites.
TV news. Sorry I channel surf too much to recall which one. I don;t see it online so I may have misheard the report of a third case that was from the people quarantined at Travis.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:56 PM   #3811
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Maybe this belongs in the Trump is mentally ill thread but it certainly belongs here too.

So Trump is off on a paranoid delusion believing there's a plot to exaggerate the COVID 19 threat by the news media and the Democrats with the purpose of crashing the stock market so he'll lose reelection.

That led him to claim any official announcements about the pandemic have to be cleared by Pence.

Now we have this: The Hill: Democrats 'frustrated' by administration's coronavirus response after closed-door briefing
Quote:
Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), speaking inside the briefing, criticized the administration's response, saying she had "grave concerns" about a lack of transparency.

Rep. Roger Williams (R-Texas) later criticized her statements, saying "it was really political and I thought it was the wrong place to be political."
Who's political?

And:
Quote:
Dr. Anthony Fauci, a top official at the National Institutes of Health who was among those briefing House lawmakers, addressed reports that he is under a gag order and must clear his statements through Vice President Pence, according to Rep. Mark Takano (D-Calif.).

Fauci told lawmakers he is not being “muzzled” but that he did cancel some scheduled TV appearances after Pence was tapped by President Trump to lead the administration’s response so that everyone could get on the same page, Takano added.

Rep. John Garamendi (D), who represents one of the districts in Northern California where the first possible case of spread of the virus among the general public occurred, later told MSNBC that Fauci was scheduled to do five Sunday talk shows, a rare move, but canceled the appearances after Pence took over.
Those public health officials are walking a tightrope, trying to get information out to the public but if they get too aggressive, Trump will shut them down altogether.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th February 2020 at 09:03 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 09:34 PM   #3812
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Maybe this belongs in the Trump is mentally ill thread but it certainly belongs here too.

So Trump is off on a paranoid delusion believing there's a plot to exaggerate the COVID 19 threat by the news media and the Democrats with the purpose of crashing the stock market so he'll lose reelection.

That led him to claim any official announcements about the pandemic have to be cleared by Pence.

Now we have this: The Hill: Democrats 'frustrated' by administration's coronavirus response after closed-door briefingWho's political?

And:

Those public health officials are walking a tightrope, trying to get information out to the public but if they get too aggressive, Trump will shut them down altogether.
What do you mean by shut them down?
Are you talking about firing a few people making public announcements or are you talking about closing down the CDC’s CoronaVirus research and instead using Republican scientists to evaluate data and make Pence-approved announcements?
Or are you talking about something else completely?
Old 28th February 2020, 09:36 PM   #3813
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

In a sane world the VP would be required to talk to the scientists before making announcements.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:03 PM   #3814
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Agreed. All this 'civil war' and 'revolution' talk is just Chicken Little "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" talk.
They've already done that numerous times. Trump has repeatedly broken the law whether the emoluments clause or the charges in the impeachment. Why do you think the Republicans in the Senate or SCOTUS will suddenly grow a conscience?

You seem to keep expecting them to follow the law and democratic principles despite them flaunting it at every turn.
Old 28th February 2020, 11:33 PM   #3815
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
What do you mean by shut them down?
Are you talking about firing a few people making public announcements or are you talking about closing down the CDC’s CoronaVirus research and instead using Republican scientists to evaluate data and make Pence-approved announcements?
Or are you talking about something else completely?
Firing them.

Dr Fauci caved in to Mike Pence's censorship. So do you ignore a battle with Trump/Pence in order to be able to keep working? Or stand up to Trump and get fired where you can no longer work on the problem?
Old 28th February 2020, 11:42 PM   #3816
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

And we have second corona virus case;this time in Santa Clara County, California, the heart of Silicon valley and a major population center.
It's getting worse.
Incidentally, it might be worth pointing out something very important about the Coronavirus that feels like it keeps getting overlooked. Not the death rate. The hospitalization rate.

Quote:
There has been a lot of focus on the fact that, based on known cases, the Coronavirus mortality rate sits somewhere between two and three percent. Much less discussed is the fact that up to 25% of known cases have required intensive care hospitalization and a four to six week recovery window.
There's a lot of unknowns here, but... frankly, the prospect of four to six weeks of intensive care in a hospital being required for large numbers of people at the same time is something that I don't think the for profit healthcare system in the US even can handle - and would likely be completely financially ruinous for, quite frankly, most of the population. Even with insurance.

You seem to keep expecting them to follow the law and democratic principles despite them flaunting it at every turn.
Flout? Or flaunting their contempt?

To poke at other things, though...

Sen. Chris Murphy: Experts 'begged' Trump to keep Obama's overseas anti-pandemic programs open

Quote:
Four years after the United States pledged to help the world fight infectious-disease epidemics such as Ebola, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is dramatically downsizing its epidemic prevention activities in 39 out of 49 countries because money is running out, U.S. government officials said.
Yes, China's one of those downsized countries.

House probe finds Georgia Republicans celebrating voter suppression, lying to voters

And that with quite a lot still being withheld.

Last edited by Aridas; 28th February 2020 at 11:46 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 12:09 AM   #3817
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Now a third.
Do nothing Dems allowing Coronavirus, no doubt spread by illegals, to spread in their state. If only they had acted quickly and decisively like President Trump.

No Coronavirus in red states - and any reports of such are fake news
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 12:09 AM   #3818
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Flout? Or flaunting their contempt?
Flout. I used the wrong word. Thank you for the correction
Old 29th February 2020, 12:11 AM   #3819
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

First real crisis for the US under Trump, and all that matters is how it will affect his re-election.
How predictable.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 12:13 AM   #3820
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Dr Fauci caved in to Mike Pence's censorship. So do you ignore a battle with Trump/Pence in order to be able to keep working? Or stand up to Trump and get fired where you can no longer work on the problem?
We don't know if Fauci has "caved in." We don't know if Pence et al. have told him what to say or prevented him from telling the truth, only that they want his public remarks cleared first, which is not all that unusual in a government bureaucracy. Fauci is about as close to a hero as the medical world has produced. Chances are he sees his role as trying to do good in a crisis despite obstacles. For him to quit in protest would only mean that a Repub hack would be put in his place. Not good for the country, and he knows it.

And I note that he didn't have any problem contradicting Trump directly about how long it will take to produce a vaccine with Trump standing next to him. It's way too early to say he's caved.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 12:15 AM   #3821
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Cases now in three states.
Quote:
Officials from the three states announced that their testing had found new cases: a high school student from north of Seattle; an employee of an elementary school in Oregon, near Portland; and a woman in Santa Clara County, Calif., in the heart of Silicon Valley.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/u...no-county.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 12:20 AM   #3822
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
States teeming with filthy immigrants. If only they had taken proper actions to close their borders and intern all undesirables.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 01:16 AM   #3823
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A so-called reporter named @JohnJHarwood, who bombed so badly in the 2016 Presidential Debates that I thought he was going to be immediately fired (a Mini Mike type performance), is now with Fake News @CNN. A total loser!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 06:43 AM   #3824
slyjoe
Master Poster

Firing them.

I don't know if the doctor is a civil servant or if he can be fired at will by the administration. He doesn't sound like an admin appointee, so I'm not sure Trump can just fire him.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 07:30 AM   #3825
SezMe
post-pre-born

Those two broke up. It seems Kim was cheating on Donnie with missiles.
Please don't misspell her name; it's Ms. Ells.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 07:33 AM   #3826
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump Tweets

A so-called reporter named @JohnJHarwood, who bombed so badly in the 2016 Presidential Debates that I thought he was going to be immediately fired (a Mini Mike type performance), is now with Fake News @CNN. A total loser!

Five insults in one tweet. Is that a record?
Old 29th February 2020, 07:37 AM   #3827
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I don't know if the doctor is a civil servant or if he can be fired at will by the administration. He doesn't sound like an admin appointee, so I'm not sure Trump can just fire him.

They don't really need to fire him. At that level, he would almost certainly need some kind of security clearance to do his job, and they could revoke that for almost any reason. He'd still "have a job", but he might not even be allowed into the building.

Something like this happened to a fellow I know in real life. There was some kind of alert about him, and so he was locked out of everything he needed to do his job for about three months until they got it sorted out.
Old 29th February 2020, 09:25 AM   #3828
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
They don't really need to fire him. At that level, he would almost certainly need some kind of security clearance to do his job, and they could revoke that for almost any reason. He'd still "have a job", but he might not even be allowed into the building.

Something like this happened to a fellow I know in real life. There was some kind of alert about him, and so he was locked out of everything he needed to do his job for about three months until they got it sorted out.
He's the director of a government agency. They don't have to fire him; they could demote him or transfer him or create a new position to sideline him. He's also 79; they could probably push him into retirement.
Old 29th February 2020, 09:36 AM   #3829
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd guess not. It's really childish.
Old 29th February 2020, 11:03 AM   #3830
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

If he wasn't POTUS, could he be sued for such a thing? Defamation, or something?

Hans
Old 29th February 2020, 11:49 AM   #3831
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Trump Tweets

This so-called 'President' carries on like a pimple-faced, angst-ridden teen.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 11:53 AM   #3832
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
If he wasn't POTUS, could he be sued for such a thing? Defamation, or something?

Hans
Remember Trump's lawsuit against the NYT for defamation with regard to the Russia 2020 interference?
Turns out it isn't Trump who's suing, it's Trump's Reelection Campaign.
So he doesn't care how much it costs, his donors are paying for his nuisance lawsuit.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 02:12 PM   #3833
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

TRump response to the first virus death in the US is to further restrict travel from Latin America?//
Jesus he is treatign this as a excuse to throw more red meat to his bigoted base.
We are in deep,deep, trouble, folks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th February 2020, 02:19 PM   #3834
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

First death happens right after Trump calls the virus a "hoax'.
God help us we are in deep s--- folks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th February 2020, 02:22 PM   #3835
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

But is it throwing out the Constitution?

If there were reliable evidence of wide-spread voter fraud, then wouldn’t the appropriate thing be to hold of on announcing a winner until an investigation could be completed? That, in and of itself, is not unconstitutional.

Now the question then becomes what is the correct way to remedy the situation if large numbers of illegal votes have been cast?
Old 29th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #3836
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

They've already done that numerous times. Trump has repeatedly broken the law whether the emoluments clause or the charges in the impeachment. Why do you think the Republicans in the Senate or SCOTUS will suddenly grow a conscience?

You are talking civil freaking war. Revolution. As much as I detest McConnell, Graham, and their ilk, they are not going back a civil war in order to keep Trump in office. Give me a break.
Old 29th February 2020, 02:34 PM   #3837
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

First death happens right after Trump calls the virus a "hoax'.
God help us we are in deep s--- folks.
Trump couldn't even get the victim's identify right:
Quote:
President Trump described the patient as a “wonderful woman” and a “medically high-risk patient” in her late 50s, at a news conference at the White House. Jeffrey Duchin, chief health officer for Seattle and King County, later said the patient was a man in his 50s with underlying conditions.
He confused the dead man with another patient who is alive:

Quote:
Washington state announced late Friday that a high school student in Snohomish County, just north of Seattle, tested positive for the deadly virus and was in home isolation in a suspected community transmission case. State health officials also said a woman in her 50s in King County tested positive after traveling to Daegu, South Korea,
(WAPO)
Old 29th February 2020, 03:37 PM   #3838
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

You are talking civil freaking war. Revolution. As much as I detest McConnell, Graham, and their ilk, they are not going back a civil war in order to keep Trump in office. Give me a break.
They probably wouldn't, but some of the idiot meathead armed-to-the-teeth followers might, not enough to take over, but perhaps enough to cause trouble and maybe kill some innocent people.

I don't really think Trump would try that. He's more likely to pardon himself for anything he might have done, then go home and try to rally his followers for another run in 2024.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 04:12 PM   #3839
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...Seriously though. What do you think will stop Trump and his lapdogs from doing what I said?

Not him, that's for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mitch the Biyatch.jpg (71.8 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 04:29 PM   #3840
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Not him, that's for sure.
I heard he carries a week's supply of drinking water in his neck wattle!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics