IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 29th February 2020, 04:47 PM   #3841
Cain
Straussian

It's sad to see so many Americans more concerned with their own lives, and not focused on keeping the economy great in order to ensure President Trump gets re-elected.
Old 29th February 2020, 04:56 PM   #3842
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
They probably wouldn't, but some of the idiot meathead armed-to-the-teeth followers might, not enough to take over, but perhaps enough to cause trouble and maybe kill some innocent people.

I don't really think Trump would try that. He's more likely to pardon himself for anything he might have done, then go home and try to rally his followers for another run in 2024.
THAT is entirely possible. He's got some real crrrraaaaaazzy cult followers.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 05:02 PM   #3843
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It's sad to see so many Americans more concerned with their own lives, and not focused on keeping the economy great in order to ensure President Trump gets re-elected.
So many Democrats spreading the Corona virus hoax just in order to tank Wall Street. Sad! #demhoaxwitchhunt
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 06:11 PM   #3844
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You are talking civil freaking war. Revolution. As much as I detest McConnell, Graham, and their ilk, they are not going back a civil war in order to keep Trump in office. Give me a break.
...Honestly? It's hard to say. As Rove outlined long ago, the goal is to put the US under permanent Republican control. A dictatorship, in effect, one way or another. As long as they end up with the power, why would they care about how they got it?

It's true that it's more likely that the "Boogaloo" will likely just involve a bunch of terrorist actions, though.

Back to coronavirus, though. It's likely worth a reminder, given all these accusations of coronavirus being hyped up as a means to hurt Trump... that Republicans literally did that to Obama, especially Limbaugh (but Trump too!), with Ebola. Scum.

Also, that presser hastily scheduled after the first confirmed coronavirus death in the US was... WTF?

Cutting through the distractions, though the response of this administration is...

Quote:
Absolutely the only steps they’re adding is a “travel restriction” on Iran, that does nothing. And two “advisories” to people traveling to Italy and South Korea.
Man. If only we had Warren. Or an administration that was willing to pay attention. She had a decent plan to work with shortly after coronavirus came to our attention.

Last edited by Aridas; 29th February 2020 at 06:18 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 06:24 PM   #3845
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Left going "Okay politics isn't working so we're going to fight the Right like the Wolverines in Red Dawn" is like me not being able to beat Mike Tyson at chess so I just start punching him, I've just shifted the conflict into something where I'm even more disadvantaged.

An armed conflict is probably the only thing the Left could against the Right that would be less effective then what they are doing now.

Half of my Facebook feed is full of people who can't order pizza over the phone because of their "crippling social anxiety" talking about they are going Bajorian on the Cardassians if 2020 goes South.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 29th February 2020 at 06:28 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 06:26 PM   #3846
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Left going "Okay politics isn't working so we're going to fight the Right like the Wolverines in Red Dwn" is like me not being able to beat Mike Tyson at chess so I just start punching him, I've just shifted the conflict into something where I'm even more disadvantaged.

An armed conflict is probably the only thing the Left could against the Right that would be less effective then what they are doing now.
The left? Who? When?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 06:47 PM   #3847
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump administration has made a deal with the Taliban. Can you imagine the outcry if Obama did that?
Old 29th February 2020, 06:59 PM   #3848
Aridas

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The Trump administration has made a deal with the Taliban. Can you imagine the outcry if Obama did that?
You know... if that didn't apply to about half the things that the Trump Administration does or more, it might be more impactful. As I've said before, though, the stuff that Trump did in the first month or two alone would have been enough for the Republicans to impeach him if he was a Democrat - and Democrats would probably have supported such. Things have gone downhill from there.

Just about everyone in the US is being harmed by the Trump Administration, in one way or many now, after all, and pretty much all our allies have been harmed by the Trump Administration.
Old 29th February 2020, 07:05 PM   #3849
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
...Honestly? It's hard to say. As Rove outlined long ago, the goal is to put the US under permanent Republican control. A dictatorship, in effect, one way or another. As long as they end up with the power, why would they care about how they got it?

It's true that it's more likely that the "Boogaloo" will likely just involve a bunch of terrorist actions, though.

Back to coronavirus, though. It's likely worth a reminder, given all these accusations of coronavirus being hyped up as a means to hurt Trump... that Republicans literally did that to Obama, especially Limbaugh (but Trump too!), with Ebola. Scum.

Also, that presser hastily scheduled after the first confirmed coronavirus death in the US was... WTF?

Cutting through the distractions, though the response of this administration is...

Man. If only we had Warren. Or an administration that was willing to pay attention. She had a decent plan to work with shortly after coronavirus came to our attention.
I'd like to see exactly what Rove said. Can you provide it?

There may be some in the GOP who would like to take permanent control, but I do believe that most would not support such a takeover. Nor do I think the American people, GOP or not, would support such a move. Not even most Trumpers.

I like Warren. As it looks like a Bide/Sanders race, I'd love to see Warren as VP...preferably a Biden-Warren ticket.
Old 29th February 2020, 07:21 PM   #3850
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Left going "Okay politics isn't working so we're going to fight the Right like the Wolverines in Red Dawn" is like me not being able to beat Mike Tyson at chess so I just start punching him, I've just shifted the conflict into something where I'm even more disadvantaged.

Half of my Facebook feed is full of people who can't order pizza over the phone because of their "crippling social anxiety" talking about they are going Bajorian on the Cardassians if 2020 goes South.
No wonder you have strange notions of "The Left" if you believe your "Facebook feed" (whatever that is) is representative of it. Perhaps you shouldn't take an internet thing for teenagers seriously?

And second, the Bajorans achieved nothing against the Cardassians, it took a war with the Federation to free Bajor, they'd never have done it alone. And even then it was Federation protection that kept it free, and Federation intervention that freed it again from its dalliance with the Dominion.
Old 29th February 2020, 08:50 PM   #3851
Aridas

I'd like to see exactly what Rove said. Can you provide it?
To be more fair on that than I probably need to be, this was around the turn of the century, with Rove officially trying to do it in a more democratic way - by building a ideological small government coalition that was a significant majority in size. Less officially, Rove and the rest of those he was working with *knew* that that would be a pipe dream while people still liked things like, say, social security. So a permanent Republican majority would fairly certainly have to be achieved via suppressing the votes of undesirable voters again, like, for example, African Americans and women had been for... most of the time that the US has existed. For context, IIRC, in Virginia at the time of school desegregation, to have a pretty much permanent majority required gaining about... 10-20% of the official potential vote.

There may be some in the GOP who would like to take permanent control, but I do believe that most would not support such a takeover. Nor do I think the American people, GOP or not, would support such a move. Not even most Trumpers.
I think that you might be surprised, then, at the numbers. "Most," maybe. Yet, even so, a far, far too significant minority, though, and a population that is far too influenced by the right-wing disinformation machine. Going further, the constant, strategic, and sustained utter misuse of words like "coup" by Trump and the GOP should be particularly concerning, given their history of accusing Democrats of all kinds of things that they turn around and then do themselves with no consequences at all and a ready "Democrats are hypocrites, dismiss them" defense once the outrage dies down.

I like Warren. As it looks like a Bide/Sanders race, I'd love to see Warren as VP...preferably a Biden-Warren ticket.
I'm... okay with Warren being VP. Not as good as her being President, of course, but a Biden/Warren ticket would likely be relatively unifying.
Old 29th February 2020, 09:44 PM   #3852
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to see exactly what Rove said. Can you provide it?...
I recall reading about that. That the Republicans would win such substantial majorities that they'd work to institute one party rule. Either Rove or Gingrich spoke about that, how it would really benefit this society. Be so much more efficient. I don't have a reference either, and I looked recently. Probably not something the GOP wants to discuss much in public. Related-

Trump supporter Rupert Murdoch believed authoritarian states can work. That I have a cite for. A New Yorker magazine piece from twenty-five years ago:

Quote:
In April of 1994, Murdoch removed the BBC from the Star network in China and replaced it with Chinese-language films. “The BBC was driving them nuts,” Murdoch says. “It’s not worth it.” The Chinese government is “scared to death of what happened in Tiananmen Square,” he says. “The truth is—and we Americans don’t like to admit it—that authoritarian countries can work. There may have been human-rights abuses in Chile. But that country under Pinochet raised living standards. And now it has a democracy. The best thing you can do in China is engage the Chinese and wait.” Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 12:28 AM   #3853
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

To be more fair on that than I probably need to be, this was around the turn of the century, with Rove officially trying to do it in a more democratic way - by building a ideological small government coalition that was a significant majority in size. Less officially, Rove and the rest of those he was working with *knew* that that would be a pipe dream while people still liked things like, say, social security. So a permanent Republican majority would fairly certainly have to be achieved via suppressing the votes of undesirable voters again, like, for example, African Americans and women had been for... most of the time that the US has existed. For context, IIRC, in Virginia at the time of school desegregation, to have a pretty much permanent majority required gaining about... 10-20% of the official potential vote.

I think that you might be surprised, then, at the numbers. "Most," maybe. Yet, even so, a far, far too significant minority, though, and a population that is far too influenced by the right-wing disinformation machine. Going further, the constant, strategic, and sustained utter misuse of words like "coup" by Trump and the GOP should be particularly concerning, given their history of accusing Democrats of all kinds of things that they turn around and then do themselves with no consequences at all and a ready "Democrats are hypocrites, dismiss them" defense once the outrage dies down.

I'm... okay with Warren being VP. Not as good as her being President, of course, but a Biden/Warren ticket would likely be relatively unifying.
My problem with your link is that it does not define what they mean by a "strong leader". They do say this:

Quote:
According to a March 13 poll from the Democracy Fund Voter Study Group, one in four Americans think it would be good to have a “strong leader” who does not have to bother with Congress and elections.
Yet nowhere in the article is the highlighted part included in a "strong leader" definition. In fact, no definition of what they mean by that term is given. The polls only say "strong leader" with no mention of that leader being an authoritarian. A "strong leader" can be anything from a very pro-democratic, Constitution supporting person of strong character and leadership abilities to a dictator. When I think of a strong leader, an authoritarian/dictator does not come to mind.

I'd prefer Warren at the top of the ticket, too, but that isn't going to happen. Chances are it's going to be Sanders or Biden. I don't like Sanders at all.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st March 2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 1st March 2020, 01:13 AM   #3854
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
We don't know if Fauci has "caved in." We don't know if Pence et al. have told him what to say or prevented him from telling the truth, only that they want his public remarks cleared first, which is not all that unusual in a government bureaucracy. Fauci is about as close to a hero as the medical world has produced. Chances are he sees his role as trying to do good in a crisis despite obstacles. For him to quit in protest would only mean that a Repub hack would be put in his place. Not good for the country, and he knows it.

And I note that he didn't have any problem contradicting Trump directly about how long it will take to produce a vaccine with Trump standing next to him. It's way too early to say he's caved.
Fauci had the talk shows scheduled then cancelled them all when Pence was assigned to censor people.

He did go on one show yesterday. He avoided answering a political question. That's fine.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 01:17 AM   #3855
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I don't know if the doctor is a civil servant or if he can be fired at will by the administration. He doesn't sound like an admin appointee, so I'm not sure Trump can just fire him.
Pretty sure Trump can replace him. He installed a new head of CDC.

But Fauci said this: RCP: NIH's Dr. Fauci: "I've Never Been Muzzled" By The Trump Administration; "A Real Misrepresentation" By Media
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 01:20 AM   #3856
Aridas

My problem with your link is that it does not define what they mean by a "strong leader". They do say this:

Yet nowhere in the article is the highlighted part included in a "strong leader" definition. In fact, no definition of what they mean by that term is given. The polls only say "strong leader" with no mention of that leader being an authoritarian. A "strong leader" can be anything from a very pro-democratic, Constitution supporting person of strong character and leadership abilities to a dictator. When I think of a strong leader, an authoritarian/dictator does not come to mind.
Fair enough. Maybe a look at this article might help with that?
Old 1st March 2020, 01:40 AM   #3857
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Trump Deal with the Taliban is exactly like the Trade Deal with China - a vague commitment to do something in the future if things go a certain way.
I guess it's progress to talk at all, but at this point it is little more than PR.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 02:50 AM   #3858
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

A "strong leader" can be anything from a very pro-democratic, Constitution supporting person of strong character and leadership abilities to a dictator.
The problem with the Lord Vetinari type of benevolent dictatorship, of course, is that it only works for a while, because the next one could be a lot worse. Bit like monarchy - fine when you've got a good king, not so fine when his idiot son succeeds him.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a system that produces a reasonable leader every time. Democracy probably comes closest, but we have ample recent evidence that it also can fail spectacularly.
Old 1st March 2020, 02:58 AM   #3859
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It's probably just a result of old age reducing my memory to a shambles, since it's been eighteen years, but ...

Didn't we go to war with Afghanistan eighteen years ago because the Taliban was too untrustworthy to negotiate with?

Has eighteen years of war made them more trustworthy? I mean obviously we are negotiating from a position of strength, since they're staying ... in power ... and we're the ones who want to bug out (/sarcasm), but how is that fundamentally different from the situation all those years ago when we decided that war was the only possible alternative, since they couldn't be trusted to bargain in good faith?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 05:50 AM   #3860
llwyd
Muse

Well, this is basically the best available option in a situation where all options suck. Best just to cut losses and keep a beady eye on the future Taliban Afghanistan - fine if they just opress and slaughter their own people, but won't threaten or attack the West.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 06:14 AM   #3861
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sleepy Joe Biden’s victory in the South Carolina Democrat Primary should be the end of Mini Mike Bloomberg’s Joke of a campaign. After the worst debate performance in the history of presidential debates, Mini Mike now has Biden split up his very few voters, taking many away!

Democrats are working hard to destroy the name and reputation of Crazy Bernie Sanders, and take the nomination away from him!

Congratulations to Sleepy Joe Biden!

Tom Steyer who, other than Mini Mike Bloomberg, spent more dollars for NOTHING than any candidate in history, quit the race today proclaiming how thrilled he was to be a part of the the Democrat Clown Show. Go away Tom and save whatever little money you have left!

I would find it hard to believe that failed presidential candidates Tom Steyer, or Mini Mike Bloombeg, would contribute to the Democrat Party, even against me, after the way they have been treated - laughed at & mocked. The real politicians ate them up and spit them out!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 06:25 AM   #3862
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Good to know what is keeping the POTUS occupied.
Old 1st March 2020, 08:01 AM   #3863
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Good to know what is keeping the POTUS occupied.
Yes, he has all of the U.S.'s problems solved. He even created a COVID-19 vaccine with nothing but prayer assistance from Mike Pence.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 08:23 AM   #3864
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The food is GREAT at Sammy’s Mexican Grill in Phoenix, Arizona. Congratulations to Betty & Jorge Rivas on doing such a wonderful job. I will try hard to stop by the next time I am in Phoenix. Support Sammy’s!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 08:25 AM   #3865
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The food is GREAT at Sammy’s Mexican Grill in Phoenix, Arizona. Congratulations to Betty & Jorge Rivas on doing such a wonderful job. I will try hard to stop by the next time I am in Phoenix. Support Sammy’s!
Really good knowing what is getting his attention at the moment....
Old 1st March 2020, 08:27 AM   #3866
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

I can’t help but wonder what Nero would have been tweeting about if Twitter had existed back then!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 08:47 AM   #3867
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Mini Mike Bloomberg’s consultants and so-called “advisors”(how did that advice work out? Don’t ask!), are on the “gravy train” and all making a fortune for themselves pushing Mini hard, when they knew he never had what it takes. Don’t pay them anymore Mike, they led you down....

.....a very dark and lonely path! Your reputation will never be the same!
Old 1st March 2020, 08:47 AM   #3868
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Well, this is basically the best available option in a situation where all options suck. Best just to cut losses and keep a beady eye on the future Taliban Afghanistan - fine if they just opress and slaughter their own people, but won't threaten or attack the West.

Eighteen years of losses.

What a waste.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 08:48 AM   #3869
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It's probably just a result of old age reducing my memory to a shambles, since it's been eighteen years, but ...

Didn't we go to war with Afghanistan eighteen years ago because the Taliban was too untrustworthy to negotiate with?
No. We did negotiate with them. We went to war because we had demands we considered necessary that they were not willing to accept. They are not trustworthy, but that didn't stop us from negotiating.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 08:52 AM   #3870
slyjoe
Master Poster

Trump Tweets

Sammy's is in Tucson. They are getting backlash from supporting Trump. And Trump saying they are in Phoenix won't help their business.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 08:55 AM   #3871
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sleepy Joe Biden’s victory in the South Carolina Democrat Primary should be the end of Mini Mike Bloomberg’s Joke of a campaign. After the worst debate performance in the history of presidential debates, Mini Mike now has Biden split up his very few voters, taking many away!
Do you suppose he's even aware that Bloomberg wasn't even IN the SC primary?
Yeah, I know. Could have ended that sentence after the first six words.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Eighteen years of losses.

What a waste.
I supported going into Afghanistan at the time. Still do, I guess. But W and the gang bungled the operation.
Old 1st March 2020, 09:14 AM   #3872
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I can’t help but wonder what Nero would have been tweeting about if Twitter had existed back then!
Nero Tweets

Fabius Maximus' orgy was the best orgy I've been to since Caecilia Publicus' shindig last Festival of Mars. We literally burned the place down. I hope they can rebuild it for the next time I'm in the Caelian district. Rebuild Fabius' bath house.
Old 1st March 2020, 09:49 AM   #3873
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Do you suppose he's even aware that Bloomberg wasn't even IN the SC primary?

Yeah, I know. Could have ended that sentence after the first six words.

I supported going into Afghanistan at the time. Still do, I guess. But W and the gang bungled the operation.
Going into Afghanistan to do what? Afghanistan is really only a country by dint of its borders on a map. In reality it has always been a loose federation of "war lords", trying to deal with it as political whole was never going to work. If we wanted to reshape Afghanistan it wasn't going to happen by military might, if you want to change the country the only way is economically.

And of course if the military response was appropriate for Afghanistan why wasn't it for Saudi Arabia, that country could have been "regiemed changed" by military might.
Old 1st March 2020, 09:53 AM   #3874
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Going into Afghanistan to do what? Afghanistan is really only a country by dint of its borders on a map. In reality it has always been a loose federation of "war lords", trying to deal with it as political whole was never going to work. If we wanted to reshape Afghanistan it wasn't going to happen by military might, if you want to change the country the only way is economically.

And of course if the military response was appropriate for Afghanistan why wasn't it for Saudi Arabia, that country could have been "regiemed changed" by military might.
Bin Laden.

But I agree about Saudi, which would have been a far more appropriate target than Iraq.
Old 1st March 2020, 10:05 AM   #3875
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Going into Afghanistan to do what? Afghanistan is really only a country by dint of its borders on a map.
Going into Afghanistan to kick Taliban/Al Qaida ass. Afghanistan was the only state actor to be punished. To bad for ordinary Afghanis, but after 9/11 I understood the perception that a military response was required, and the Taliban were awful. I will never understand why the U.S. then started another totally optional war.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 10:35 AM   #3876
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Going into Afghanistan to kick Taliban/Al Qaida ass. Afghanistan was the only state actor to be punished. To bad for ordinary Afghanis, but after 9/11 I understood the perception that a military response was required, and the Taliban were awful. I will never understand why the U.S. then started another totally optional war.
Neocons. It's their solution to everything.
Old 1st March 2020, 11:07 AM   #3877
Aridas

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I seem to recall seeing quotes from people who think that the US should just crush some weak country every decade or so just to remind the world how dominant we are.
Old 1st March 2020, 12:23 PM   #3878
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. Maybe a look at this article might help with that?
That is a much better article...very scary and one based on truth.

I have always thought that fear is the basis of conservatism: fear of change (traditionalists), fear of 'different' (homophobia, bigotry, racism), fear of the unknown (again traditionalist/maintain the status quo). Liberalism is based on the opposite: embrace of change (progress), acceptance of 'different' (support of civil rights, gay marriage, etc), less fear of the unknown.

Authoritarianism is a reaction to fear of losing the status quo, fear of losing control, fear of those different to oneself.
We see this rise in authoritarianism in other countries like France (Le Pin), Spain (Vox) and Germany (AfD). Nationalism and authoritarianism seem to go hand in hand.

I agree that Trump tapped that pool of people. The rise and takeover of the GOP by the Tea Party ten years ago opened the door for Trump. The GOP lost its soul to these extremists.

Back in 2015-2016 I never thought Trump could win. His election came as a huge shock to me. I didn't think enough of the American people could embrace such a disgusting human being and vote for him. Sadly, I was proved wrong. But I think what makes me even sadder than Trump's election is that he may well be elected again after all he's proven himself to be.
Old 1st March 2020, 12:32 PM   #3879
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The problem with the Lord Vetinari type of benevolent dictatorship, of course, is that it only works for a while, because the next one could be a lot worse. Bit like monarchy - fine when you've got a good king, not so fine when his idiot son succeeds him.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a system that produces a reasonable leader every time. Democracy probably comes closest, but we have ample recent evidence that it also can fail spectacularly.
As the saying goes, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The more power someone has, the more ruthless they will become in order to keep that power.

There is no doubt in my mind that Trump would make himself dictator if he could. But I question whether there would be enough people to support him doing so even among Trump supporters. They may like his authoritarian style but to actually give up democracy for him? To take away their power to choose? I don't think so. But, I was proved wrong in 2016...
Old 1st March 2020, 12:33 PM   #3880
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Democrats are working hard to destroy the name and reputation of Crazy Bernie Sanders, and take the nomination away from him!

Congratulations to Sleepy Joe Biden!

Tom Steyer who, other than Mini Mike Bloomberg, spent more dollars for NOTHING than any candidate in history, quit the race today proclaiming how thrilled he was to be a part of the the Democrat Clown Show. Go away Tom and save whatever little money you have left!

I would find it hard to believe that failed presidential candidates Tom Steyer, or Mini Mike Bloombeg, would contribute to the Democrat Party, even against me, after the way they have been treated - laughed at & mocked. The real politicians ate them up and spit them out!
Trump is working hard for Sanders. He obviously fears running against Biden more than Sanders. Trump is nothing if not obvious.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics