IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd March 2020, 09:18 AM   #3921
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Meanwhile in Trump land, as usual, he did everything right, everyone else is to blame.
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I was criticized by the Democrats when I closed the Country down to China many weeks ahead of what almost everyone recommended. Saved many lives. Dems were working the Impeachment Hoax. They didnít have a clue! Now they are fear mongering. Be calm & vigilant!
Trump Tweets

As usual, Jay Powell and the Federal Reserve are slow to act. Germany and others are pumping money into their economies. Other Central Banks are much more aggressive. The U.S. should have, for all of the right reasons, the lowest Rate. We donít, putting us at a.....

....competitive disadvantage. We should be leading, not following!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 09:33 AM   #3922
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You really can't say that about North Korea. It's proximity to China is almost irrelevant. NK is like an open air prison. Travel is limited substantially.
NK doesn't allow its own people to travel, but I'd guess they get a fair number of tourists from China.

ETA: According to this article, 350,000 Chinese tourists were expected last year. They can even drive their own cars across the border. That's been shut down now, of course.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Trump thread.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 2nd March 2020 at 10:18 AM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 09:35 AM   #3923
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You really can't say that about North Korea. It's proximity to China is almost irrelevant. NK is like an open air prison. Travel is limited substantially.
Do we have any data on animals as diseases vectors for this outbreak?

Migrating birds and rodents don't give a toss what lines on the map us humans have drawn.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:18 AM   #3924
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Trump Tweets

I was criticized by the Democrats when I closed the Country down to China many weeks ahead of what almost everyone recommended. Saved many lives. Dems were working the Impeachment Hoax. They didnít have a clue! Now they are fear mongering. Be calm & vigilant!
I'm assuming (I think reasonably) that this is what we Brits refer to as "utter bollocks", but any clarification would be gratefully received.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:27 AM   #3925
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The CDC was good at what they do... I guess the big question is are they still good, after 3 years of Trump.
As for the "other agencies abroad", you have:
- China, which is more or less ground zero, which is currently being criticized for not being open about the epidemic
- North Korea isn't claiming any infections, even though it should be affected, given how close it is to China.
North Korea may be a prison state, but they do engage in a significant amount of trade with china, both legal (more than half of North Korea's imports come from china) and black market/illegal trade. And North Koreans do regularly cross the border with China in search of supplies.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:35 AM   #3926
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I'm assuming (I think reasonably) that this is what we Brits refer to as "utter bollocks", but any clarification would be gratefully received.
According to this story reported on the BBC website, the US closed its borders to arrivals from China weeks ago:

Quote:
Countries around the world have closed their borders to arrivals from China, as officials work to control the rapid spread of the coronavirus.

The US and Australia said they would deny entry to all foreign visitors who had recently been in China, where the virus first emerged in December.

Earlier, countries including Russia, Japan, Pakistan and Italy announced similar travel restrictions.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51338899
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:38 AM   #3927
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
North Korea may be a prison state, but they do engage in a significant amount of trade with china, both legal (more than half of North Korea's imports come from china) and black market/illegal trade. And North Koreans do regularly cross the border with China in search of supplies.
Also a lot of tourism.

https://www.nknews.org/2019/10/as-ch...el-the-strain/

Apparently a fair number of older chinese people are going there reminiscing about how it reminds them of china 40 years ago.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:03 AM   #3928
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@FoxNews is working hard pushing the Radical Left, Do Nothing Democrats. They want to be, unlike their competitors, @CNN & MSDNC (Comcast), Fair & Balanced. When will they ever learn. The Radical Left never even gave @FoxNews permission to partake in their low rated debates!

The only people in favor of Mini Mike continuing with his hapless campaign are me and his political consultants, who are getting richer and richer by the day!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:23 AM   #3929
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@FoxNews is working hard pushing the Radical Left, Do Nothing Democrats. They want to be, unlike their competitors, @CNN & MSDNC (Comcast), Fair & Balanced. When will they ever learn. The Radical Left never even gave @FoxNews permission to partake in their low rated debates!

The only people in favor of Mini Mike continuing with his hapless campaign are me and his political consultants, who are getting richer and richer by the day!
Fox doesn't even go by "Fair and Balanced" any more because it's so goddamn obvious they're not.
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:24 AM   #3930
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Tweeted by the “Rogue POTUS Staff”:

“It's actually been said inside the White House: "The corona virus might make it too dangerous to gather the public at polling places come November."”

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 2nd March 2020 at 11:27 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:26 AM   #3931
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Deleted duplicate.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 01:24 PM   #3932
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Deleted duplicate.
User error or is thread malfunctioning?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 02:55 PM   #3933
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

They are staging a coup against Bernie!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 03:04 PM   #3934
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

He probably has someone informing him on this one. Moderates are dropping off to consolidate against Bernie and could very well win. He can then claim the system was rigged against Bernie. Ignorant people would believe him, including uninformed Bernie bros.

I support Bernie over Biden, as an FYI.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 03:09 PM   #3935
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
User error or is thread malfunctioning?
On hitting "Submit", my iPhone seemed to just hang. with the progress bar seemingly stuck. After 30 seconds of the screen not updating I hit "Submit" again, only to find my first effort had "taken".
Old 2nd March 2020, 05:37 PM   #3936
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Trump really does not want to run against Biden.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 05:46 PM   #3937
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump really does not want to run against Biden.

I really don't think Trump cares who he runs against. Not like he's going to change tactics. I think it's all about sowing disenfranchisement and dissent (again his go to tactics). To try to get people who would normally vote against him to either sit it out or vote for him as some kind of protest. The Bernie supporters being the obvious targets based on the last time.
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:15 PM   #3938
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I really don't think Trump cares who he runs against. Not like he's going to change tactics. I think it's all about sowing disenfranchisement and dissent (again his go to tactics). To try to get people who would normally vote against him to either sit it out or vote for him as some kind of protest. The Bernie supporters being the obvious targets based on the last time.
I think that's part of it but I do think he'd rather Sanders won the nom than Biden.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:19 PM   #3939
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I really don't think Trump cares who he runs against. Not like he's going to change tactics.
Well, he's not going to be able to apply his racist or misogynistic tactics. Not directly, anyway.
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:21 PM   #3940
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Well, he's not going to be able to apply his racist or misogynistic tactics. Not directly, anyway.
Depends on who is the VP nom.
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:26 PM   #3941
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Depends on who is the VP nom.
What? Do you want a VP born in Kenya with blood coming out of her wherever?
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:36 PM   #3942
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What? Do you want a VP born in Kenya with blood coming out of her wherever?
Over Pence? Any day of the week!
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:45 PM   #3943
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, he can against (((Bernie))) or (((Bloomberg))). Just has to be a bit more subtle about it. Oh wait, I just suggested Trump could be subtle. Forget that.

The religious far right isn't going to vote for a Jew, but they're a lost cause anyhow.

Assuming the Dem candidate is a white male, I'd be astounded if the Veep nominee isn't a female or person of color or both.
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:52 PM   #3944
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oh, he can against (((Bernie))) or (((Bloomberg))). Just has to be a bit more subtle about it. Oh wait, I just suggested Trump could be subtle. Forget that.

The religious far right isn't going to vote for a Jew, but they're a lost cause anyhow.

Assuming the Dem candidate is a white male, I'd be astounded if the Veep nominee isn't a female or person of color or both.
Stacey Abrams.
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:04 PM   #3945
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

As usual, Jay Powell and the Federal Reserve are slow to act. Germany and others are pumping money into their economies. Other Central Banks are much more aggressive. The U.S. should have, for all of the right reasons, the lowest Rate. We donít, putting us at a.....

....competitive disadvantage. We should be leading, not following!
If Obama had said this he would have been crucified.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:11 PM   #3946
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

Democrats are working hard to destroy the name and reputation of Crazy Bernie Sanders, and take the nomination away from him!
It's so heartening to see Trump's concern for the reputation of Bernie. He's a real peach, eh? /s
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:14 PM   #3947
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He probably has someone informing him on this one. Moderates are dropping off to consolidate against Bernie and could very well win. He can then claim the system was rigged against Bernie. Ignorant people would believe him, including uninformed Bernie bros.

I support Bernie over Biden, as an FYI.
I also prefer Bernie, and I think that whatever happens will be easily spun either way. On the one hand it's easy to see a conspiracy, where at a certain point a bunch of moderates throw in the towel and switch to Biden, sandbagging Bernie. And indeed that might be what they're doing. On the other hand, it's clear that they're not going to get nominated, and that it's prudent to quit, so it's also prudent to throw in the towel, and they can be expected to throw their support toward the person they prefer. That might well be all they are doing. Or a little of both. The same action can easily be done for different reasons.

Or one can hope (not likely) that Biden doesn't get the gold, but Bernie and Warren keep an edge together, and at the last minute Bernie tosses his support to Warren (she's younger and healthier). Fat chance, but my favorite in all this has always been Warren, so might as well throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:20 PM   #3948
SezMe
post-pre-born

I have always thought that fear is the basis of conservatism: fear of change (traditionalists), fear of 'different' (homophobia, bigotry, racism), fear of the unknown (again traditionalist/maintain the status quo). <Snip>
Yes- and that's why they're so good at campaigning but crappy at governing. Fear is a powerful motivator to get people to vote but one cannot run a government on that basis.

Take a look at this cartoon:

This has to rank in the top 1% of GOP projecting their own tactics onto the Dems.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:30 PM   #3949
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
In the abstract, no, but after 9/11 the situation wasn't abstract. In that one instance I was fine with regime change, even knowing innocent people would die.
But Shrub and the neocons were quite explicit that we were not there to effectuate "regime change" but rather to whack the bad guys. But it soon evolved to what they insisted it was not.

I was against the invasion. The Afghans had ground Russia into mincemeat and they were right next door. We were bound to face a similar fate being 8,000 miles further away.

Here's a few questions that could occupy the rest of your life: What would Gore have done in the same circumstances? Would the Republicans been 100% behind him? What would the world look like now?
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:35 PM   #3950
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
What, PBS?
Look at the pie chart here and try not to look embarrassed when you go out to lunch.
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:55 PM   #3951
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I also prefer Bernie, and I think that whatever happens will be easily spun either way. On the one hand it's easy to see a conspiracy, where at a certain point a bunch of moderates throw in the towel and switch to Biden, sandbagging Bernie. And indeed that might be what they're doing. On the other hand, it's clear that they're not going to get nominated, and that it's prudent to quit, so it's also prudent to throw in the towel, and they can be expected to throw their support toward the person they prefer. That might well be all they are doing. Or a little of both. The same action can easily be done for different reasons.

Or one can hope (not likely) that Biden doesn't get the gold, but Bernie and Warren keep an edge together, and at the last minute Bernie tosses his support to Warren (she's younger and healthier). Fat chance, but my favorite in all this has always been Warren, so might as well throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

The fact that both Klobuchar and Buttigieg both dropped out today, just one day before Super Tuesday, convinces me that their intention is to spoil Sanders' chance. I mean, why the hell wouldn't they just coast through tomorrow, at least, before announcing. I can't think of a single reason why, other than being a spoiler for Bernie. I'm still seeing advertisements for both of them, so it's not like they pulled their advertising and got their money for it back; they didn't. So, unless they had ulterior motives (like playing spoiler) I can't think of one reason to not wait and at least see Super Tuesday's results before dropping out. Makes no sense--except for playing spoiler.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:57 PM   #3952
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
But Shrub and the neocons were quite explicit that we were not there to effectuate "regime change" but rather to whack the bad guys. But it soon evolved to what they insisted it was not.

I was against the invasion. The Afghans had ground Russia into mincemeat and they were right next door. We were bound to face a similar fate being 8,000 miles further away.

Here's a few questions that could occupy the rest of your life: What would Gore have done in the same circumstances? Would the Republicans been 100% behind him? What would the world look like now?

I have doubts 9/11 would have happened under a Gore presidency. It's always been said that the Bush team dismissed the Clinton's team's warnings of bin Laden being determined to strike. I don't think that dismissal would have happened with Gore; I'll admit I don't know if that would have been sufficient to stop 9/11, however.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:10 PM   #3953
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe
Trump Tweets

The food is GREAT at Sammyís Mexican Grill in Phoenix, Arizona. Congratulations to Betty & Jorge Rivas on doing such a wonderful job. I will try hard to stop by the next time I am in Phoenix. Support Sammyís!
Sammy's is in Tucson. They are getting backlash from supporting Trump. And Trump saying they are in Phoenix won't help their business.

It's in Catalina, a bit north of Tucson, beautiful view of the Santa Catalina mountains. We're living just south of there at the moment.

But Sammy's is quite ordinary food. In Catalina, go here...

https://itsgreektomecatalina.com/
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:17 PM   #3954
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
The fact that both Klobuchar and Buttigieg both dropped out today, just one day before Super Tuesday, convinces me that their intention is to spoil Sanders' chance. I mean, why the hell wouldn't they just coast through tomorrow, at least, before announcing. I can't think of a single reason why
I can! They are indeed conspiring...but not for politics. They're in love! It's a secret, forbidden romance. Him, the hitherto Official First Gay Candidate, it would devastate the public to learn he fell for a woman. Her, the Abusive Boss, it would shock the people to learn she possesses the tender emotions. It was unexpected but so profound, the way their eyes locked across the debating arena, his dollar-sign-shaped pro-capitalist pupils and her basilisk unjust-prosecution glare, and just like that in an instant it was True Love! They agreed to throw away their candidacies because neither could bear the thought of defeating the other, of perhaps winning office and being thus forever set out of reach of the beloved...they've snuck away in secret to indulge in the carnal, bestial lusts in a seedy motel room, their forms locked together in unthinkable passion!

Either that, or Bloomberg just bought them off.
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:47 PM   #3955
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post

They call it the graveyard of empires for a reason.

Once again they wave goodbye with a cheery "and stay the **** out!"
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:56 PM   #3956
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Damn it, this is the wrong thread. I moved my reply to the primary thread. Cabbage.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd March 2020 at 08:57 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 09:12 PM   #3957
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Taking a slight detour from Trump ******* up the country over coronavirus, here's Trump injecting propaganda into climate science:

NY Times: A Trump Insider Embeds Climate Denial in Scientific Research
Quote:
An official at the Interior Department embarked on a campaign that has inserted misleading language about climate change ó including debunked claims that increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is beneficial ó into the agencyís scientific reports, according to documents reviewed by The New York Times.

The misleading language appears in at least nine reports, including environmental studies and impact statements on major watersheds in the American West that could be used to justify allocating increasingly scarce water to farmers at the expense of wildlife conservation and fisheries.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:17 PM   #3958
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The fact that both Klobuchar and Buttigieg both dropped out today, just one day before Super Tuesday, convinces me that their intention is to spoil Sanders' chance. I mean, why the hell wouldn't they just coast through tomorrow, at least, before announcing. I can't think of a single reason why, other than being a spoiler for Bernie. I'm still seeing advertisements for both of them, so it's not like they pulled their advertising and got their money for it back; they didn't. So, unless they had ulterior motives (like playing spoiler) I can't think of one reason to not wait and at least see Super Tuesday's results before dropping out. Makes no sense--except for playing spoiler.
It's nasty, but not necessarily a conspiracy if you go on the assumption that they really prefer Biden to Bernie. It's of course quite possible that they're engaging in nefarious strategy to undercut Bernie, and that's likely to be the effect, but if they actually want Biden to be nominated you can hardly expect them to play along as if they didn't.

I like Bernie, and I think he'd make a pretty good president, but he is running for a party nomination in a party that he hasn't actually joined. While I'd like to see the organization take him in and treat him better, I can't entirely fault them for being biased toward those who have belonged to it, and served it, for a long time.

With that said, I think the idea of "electability" is a poor one. It's anybody's guess, and it's often guessed wrong, and the people whose supposedly electable candidate loses the nomination tend to flounce. The party should nominate whoever best represents the party and its members, and then make them as electable as possible by doing the work.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:44 PM   #3959
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The fact that both Klobuchar and Buttigieg both dropped out today, just one day before Super Tuesday, convinces me that their intention is to spoil Sanders' chance. I mean, why the hell wouldn't they just coast through tomorrow, at least, before announcing. I can't think of a single reason why, other than being a spoiler for Bernie.
One reason is to avoid the humiliation of coming in fourth, fifth or sixth and and having to acknowledge "I guess nobody loves me." It's also possible that they sincerely believe it will be easier for Trump to beat Sanders than Biden, and wanted to help Biden -- which is not the same as sabotaging Sanders.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:51 PM   #3960
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I have doubts 9/11 would have happened under a Gore presidency. It's always been said that the Bush team dismissed the Clinton's team's warnings of bin Laden being determined to strike. I don't think that dismissal would have happened with Gore; I'll admit I don't know if that would have been sufficient to stop 9/11, however.
Gore was a "good government" technocrat. I think it's likely that he would have had the intelligence and law enforcement agences talking to each other earlier and more effectively.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics