IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa conspiracies , assault incidents , donald trump , Martin Gugino , police incidents , police misconduct charges

Old 9th June 2020, 09:00 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Supporters: Can you defend this?

Today Trump tweeted:
Quote:
Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment.
@OANN
I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?
I find it despicable. What about you? Can you justify it?

Non-supporters: Please refrain and give the supporters a day or two to answer. I'd very much appreciate it. You can discuss in the general Trump thread.
Old 9th June 2020, 09:08 AM   #2
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Today Trump tweeted:

I find it despicable. What about you? Can you justify it?

Non-supporters: Please refrain and give the supporters a day or two to answer. I'd very much appreciate it. You can discuss in the general Trump thread.
I read about that this morning. That 75 year old protester is a well known peace protester for more than IIRC, more than 50 years.

Trump again proves he'll crap out any lie and then try and sell it,

Last edited by acbytesla; 9th June 2020 at 09:09 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Belz...
Fiend God

I find it despicable.
I can't speak for Trump supporters, but I find it to be one of the most despicable things he's uttered.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 09:10 AM   #4
llwyd
Muse

Of course they can.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 09:15 AM   #5
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I predict that no trump supporter will address the point of the OP and at best we will again debate on if merely voting for Trump makes one a Trump supporter.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 09:21 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd really appreciate it if the non-supporters would stay out for a day or so. Supporters, you don't have to defend but I'd like to see you at least comment on it. If you happen to be on ignore I'll take you off of the list.
Old 9th June 2020, 09:32 AM   #7
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The 75-year-old man Buffalo police shoved out of their way -- who then fell over suffering a serious head injury (as the cops who shoved him walked past him) -- is known in Buffalo as a strong but peaceful protester against injustice. Another words, not trump's kinda guy.

This is from the Democrat & Chronicle, a long-established western New York newspaper:
Quote:
Martin Gugino is not one to stand out in a crowd. The 75-year-old Amherst resident’s goal at rallies and protests is to ask questions, bring the community together and stand in quiet solidarity for peace, friends and his lawyer said Friday.

Gugino’s attorney, Kelly Zarcone, said in a statement Friday that her client has been a longtime peaceful protester, a human rights advocate and an “overall fan of the U.S. Constitution for many years.” “Mr. Gugino requests privacy for himself and his family as he recovers. He appreciates all of the well wishes he has received and requests that any further protests continue to be peaceful,” the statement read. news link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Want some more...punk!.jpg (94.5 KB, 30 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 09:37 AM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I can't speak for Trump supporters, but I find it to be one of the most despicable things he's uttered.
I wish that were true. But I don't think it makes the top ten. This is the same guy who said Ted Cruz's father was involved in the assassination of JFK. Said Joe Scarborough murdered some guy.
Old 9th June 2020, 09:44 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I wish that were true. But I don't think it makes the top ten. This is the same guy who said Ted Cruz's father was involved in the assassination of JFK. Said Joe Scarborough murdered some guy.
Yes but in this case it has implications far broader than just this one guy. It implies that the police are always right and protestors are the enemy, one way or another. It encourages state violence.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 09:53 AM   #10
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yes but in this case it has implications far broader than just this one guy. It implies that the police are always right and protestors are the enemy, one way or another. It encourages state violence.
That's Trump for you.
Old 9th June 2020, 10:13 AM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well he is the guy who looked at Tienanmen square and sided with the tank.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 12:14 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

This thread was a dumb idea. I'm going to request the mods delete it. It's a borderline callout thread anyhow.
Old 9th June 2020, 12:21 PM   #13
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

I think it would be interesting if we go by Trebuchet’s request in op
Old 9th June 2020, 12:31 PM   #14
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I predict this thread dies soon from a lack of bait-takers.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 01:13 PM   #15
Cain
Straussian

Can you justify it?
I can try. But I won't. He's a piece of ****.
Old 9th June 2020, 01:15 PM   #16
carrps
Thinker

NM

Last edited by carrps; 9th June 2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: wrong quote
carrps is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 01:16 PM   #17
carrps
Thinker

Gal. Lori Klasutis.
carrps is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 01:17 PM   #18
Belz...
Fiend God

This thread was a dumb idea. I'm going to request the mods delete it. It's a borderline callout thread anyhow.
I disagree. I think the general silence is quite telling.

Old 9th June 2020, 01:24 PM   #19
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I disagree. I think the general silence is quite telling.
Yes and no. There are many conservatives that despise Trump, hate what he does, but consider the alternative to be far worse. They also enjoy the outrage that Trump causes.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 01:28 PM   #20
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Yes and no. There are many conservatives that despise Trump, hate what he does, but consider the alternative to be far worse. They also enjoy the outrage that Trump causes.
Hell, I think the main attraction for many Trump supporters is his mastery at trolling teh libruls
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 01:44 PM   #21
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Hell, I think the main attraction for many Trump supporters is his mastery at trolling teh libruls
Trump could nuke an American city, and the conservatives would crow 'LOL! Look how upset the stupid libs are!'

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 01:56 PM   #22
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

There doesn't seem to be any other thread solely related to this incident and, since I don't expect trump supporters to post here -- where's the return on their investment? -- here goes what I have wondered about. The reaction of Buffalo police officers to this incident. From WKBW, the ABC News affiliate in Buffalo:
Quote:
Two of the 57 officers who resigned from a volunteer assignment team on Friday said they did not resign from their roles on the team as a "show of support" for officers who have been suspended for pushing a 75-year protester. Instead, they say they resigned because they don't feel they have legal protection from the city of Buffalo..."I don't understand why the union said it's a thing of solidarity. I think it sends the wrong message that 'we're backing our own', and that's not the case," one of the officers said. "We quit because our union said [they] aren't legally backing us anymore. So, why would we stand on a line for the city with no legal backing if something [were to] happen?

PBA president John Evans was not immediately available for comment, but in an email to PBA members provided to Scripps station WKBW, Evans said that the union would not provide legal defense to officers in any charges linked to the ongoing unrest. "In light of this, in order to maintain the sound financial structure of the PBA it will be my opinion the PBA NOT to pay for any ERT or SWAT members legal defense related to these protests going forward," Evans' email read. "This Admin in conjunction with DA John Flynn and or JP Kennedy could put a serious dent in the PBA's funds." Link to WKBW news page
In other words, the cops are contending that normally when they are charged by the city with a line-of-duty criminal offense, the union provides them with legal counsel. Since the union has said it will no longer do that for members of the Emergency Response Team and the SWAT team, the officers decided to resign their positions on the Emergency Response Team.
Quote:
"You can't ask people to do something, and then when they do it and it goes bad, then you just say they're on their own," one officer said.
Below is a copy of the email the Buffalo PBA sent to members, alerting them to the decision to withhold legal representation at PBA expense. TV Station WKBW obtained a copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffalo PBA.jpg (109.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 9th June 2020 at 01:59 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 02:04 PM   #23
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A serious question. Is it possible to scan police communication equipment in order to disable it?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 02:38 PM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God

That has little to do with the OP's challenge, though. Hate him or not they could speak out against his tweet.

Old 9th June 2020, 02:43 PM   #25
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
There doesn't seem to be any other thread solely related to this incident and, since I don't expect trump supporters to post here -- where's the return on their investment? -- here goes what I have wondered about. The reaction of Buffalo police officers to this incident. From WKBW, the ABC News affiliate in Buffalo:

In other words, the cops are contending that normally when they are charged by the city with a line-of-duty criminal offense, the union provides them with legal counsel. Since the union has said it will no longer do that for members of the Emergency Response Team and the SWAT team, the officers decided to resign their positions on the Emergency Response Team.
Below is a copy of the email the Buffalo PBA sent to members, alerting them to the decision to withhold legal representation at PBA expense. TV Station WKBW obtained a copy.
From NYG's attached image....

"They do not deserve to be vilified and treated like criminals for simply following orders"

Hmmm. Sounds familiar? Can anyone here suggest where they might have heard this claim before?
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 03:03 PM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A serious question. Is it possible to scan police communication equipment in order to disable it?
Sure.

I mean you'd need a Boeing EA-18G Growler Tactical Electronic Warfare Aircraft which cost 62 million dollars and are 60 feet long with a 45 foot wingspan, but maybe that guy had one on his phone.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 03:04 PM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump could nuke an American city, and the conservatives would crow 'LOL! Look how upset the stupid libs are!'
And that the Liberal response was "overdramatic."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 03:31 PM   #28
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sure.

I mean you'd need a Boeing EA-18G Growler Tactical Electronic Warfare Aircraft which cost 62 million dollars and are 60 feet long with a 45 foot wingspan, but maybe that guy had one on his phone.
You're just being ridiculous in a cowardly attempt to make Trump look really foolish/evil. You could get a lightly used EA-6B Prowler for less than half that price!
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 03:36 PM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
From NYG's attached image....

"They do not deserve to be vilified and treated like criminals for simply following orders"

Hmmm. Sounds familiar?
Yeah, that's what they said about those military people trying to wipe out Prof. Xavier's party!

Old 9th June 2020, 03:59 PM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Of course it's possible to jam the police equipment. probme is the kind of electroinc gear you would need for that is expensive and might not even be available on the open market.We are talking military grade stuff here.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:12 PM   #31
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You're just being ridiculous in a cowardly attempt to make Trump look really foolish/evil. You could get a lightly used EA-6B Prowler for less than half that price!
Yeah, but that needs a crew of four instead of just two!

Utterly off-topic story:
I was out on the Boeing flightline at Paine Field in Everett, Washington with a co-worker. There was an EA-6B doing touch and goes. I commented to my coworker that it was really loud. "Yeah", he said, "louder than the F-14!" It was only then I remembered he'd previously worked at Grumman on Long Island.
Old 9th June 2020, 04:18 PM   #32
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Of course it's possible to jam the police equipment. probme is the kind of electroinc gear you would need for that is expensive and might not even be available on the open market.We are talking military grade stuff here.
You can jam pretty much any kind radio communication and fairly crudely. But you can't do it with a hand held phone operating at milliwatts.
Old 9th June 2020, 04:29 PM   #33
zorro99
Muse

Let me get this straight. Trump said that this guy was jamming the police radio communications, is that correct? And that the blood gushing froM his head was an act?
Old 9th June 2020, 04:30 PM   #34
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You can jam pretty much any kind radio communication and fairly crudely. But you can't do it with a hand held phone operating at milliwatts.
Maybe he was operating his jamming rig remotely with his phone. I"m sure there's an app for that.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:34 PM   #35
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Maybe he was operating his jamming rig remotely with his phone. I"m sure there's an app for that.
Yeah, but it only works with the I-Phone.
Old 9th June 2020, 04:47 PM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm wondering now if the police confiscated his phone.
Old 9th June 2020, 04:51 PM   #37
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
If so, then they are even more stupid than I thought.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:58 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Let me get this straight. Trump said that this guy was jamming the police radio communications, is that correct? And that the blood gushing froM his head was an act?
Yep. That's the CT being pushed by OAN, Trump's new favorite news channel.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...es-were-stage/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:59 PM   #39
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Trump said that the guy 'appeared' to be scanning whatever, in the same way that I could say the cop 'appeared' to be eating his own children.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:23 PM   #40
zorro99
Muse

Most republicans claim they never saw Trump’s tweet and have nothing to say.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics