IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa conspiracies , assault incidents , donald trump , Martin Gugino , police incidents , police misconduct charges

Reply
Old 11th June 2020, 07:38 AM   #81
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The reason why even Trump's own lawyers say that his Tweets can't be slanderous is simply this:

no one in his right mind would take a Tweet by Trump seriously.
Well it sure seems as if there are a lot of Americans not in their right mind.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 08:28 AM   #82
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,646
What disturbs me most is that once such a slander is spoken by the president of the USA it becomes prominently established in the public discourse and in many people’s consciousness as a possibility. The “where there is smoke there is fire” concept enters the average person’s brain even if there is no smoke but just a fat orange evil troll claiming he sees smoke. News sites favoring Trump run headlines, “President Trump reveals Buffalo protestor as Antifa crisis actor.” Mainstream news sites run headlines “Trump makes unsubstantiated claim that Buffalo protestor member of Antifa.” In either case the claim goes out widely. And even the term “unsubstantiated” doesn’t adequately deny the claim - it doesn’t negate it. Instead it simply suggests that adequate evidence has yet to be found. It leaves open the possibility that the claim might be true.

So Trump followers immediately accept the claim as 100% true. Many others think “hmm, I wonder maybe...”

I don’t know what would help. The term “baseless” better captures the utter emptiness of the claim than does “unsubstantiated” and I’ve seen that in some headlines. Perhaps even better the headlines should read, “In a completely fabricated, vicious slander of a seriously injured fellow human being, Trump claims...”
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 11:34 AM   #83
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,378
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
What disturbs me most is that once such a slander is spoken by the president of the USA it becomes prominently established in the public discourse and in many people’s consciousness as a possibility...
Yes, it's disturbing. But coming from Trump it may less disturbing than if it came from some other source. Remember Hillary's emails? Trump's obvious lies didn't effect us, but Comey's announcement did.

By now the majority of Americans assume that anything Trump says is a lie. The rest know it's a lie too - but a useful one. Almost nobody actually thinks he tells the truth anymore.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 11:50 AM   #84
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Yes, it's disturbing. But coming from Trump it may less disturbing than if it came from some other source. Remember Hillary's emails? Trump's obvious lies didn't effect us, but Comey's announcement did.

By now the majority of Americans assume that anything Trump says is a lie. The rest know it's a lie too - but a useful one. Almost nobody actually thinks he tells the truth anymore.
I've been in many arguments with right wingers. There was time where they denied Trump's lies. Now they just shrug their shoulders. Their acceptance of it is worse.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 12:08 PM   #85
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,382
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
What disturbs me most is that once such a slander is spoken by the president of the USA it becomes prominently established in the public discourse and in many people’s consciousness as a possibility. The “where there is smoke there is fire” concept enters the average person’s brain even if there is no smoke but just a fat orange evil troll claiming he sees smoke. News sites favoring Trump run headlines, “President Trump reveals Buffalo protestor as Antifa crisis actor.” Mainstream news sites run headlines “Trump makes unsubstantiated claim that Buffalo protestor member of Antifa.” In either case the claim goes out widely. And even the term “unsubstantiated” doesn’t adequately deny the claim - it doesn’t negate it. Instead it simply suggests that adequate evidence has yet to be found. It leaves open the possibility that the claim might be true.

So Trump followers immediately accept the claim as 100% true. Many others think “hmm, I wonder maybe...”

I don’t know what would help. The term “baseless” better captures the utter emptiness of the claim than does “unsubstantiated” and I’ve seen that in some headlines. Perhaps even better the headlines should read, “In a completely fabricated, vicious slander of a seriously injured fellow human being, Trump claims...”
I'm reminded of a throwaway scene in Big Mouth where they decide to distract from something they've done by inventing a rumour about another character.

"Why don't we say that... for a snack... she eats little pieces of ******"

"That's... not believable."

"And yet, here we are talking about it."
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 08:37 AM   #86
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,639
Heh. Yet another **** show thread from Team OMB.

Anyway, I gave it a couple days for the regulars to get it out of their system, and PM'd Trebuchet with my answer.

Probably won't post it here, but I am curious how this was supposed to play out if I had.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 09:02 AM   #87
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster
 
Mader Levap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,576
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Heh. Yet another **** show thread from Team OMB.
That's rich coming from you.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Anyway, I gave it a couple days for the regulars to get it out of their system, and PM'd Trebuchet with my answer.

Probably won't post it here, but I am curious how this was supposed to play out if I had.
I am quite sure it will be about as believable and honest as Trump's... claims... on Twitter.
__________________
Sanity is overrated. / Voting for Republicans is morally equivalent to voting for Nazis in early 30's.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 09:04 AM   #88
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31,407
Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
I'm reminded of a throwaway scene in Big Mouth where they decide to distract from something they've done by inventing a rumour about another character.

"Why don't we say that... for a snack... she eats little pieces of ******"

"That's... not believable."

"And yet, here we are talking about it."
Quote:
Shooter McGavin: I eat pieces of **** like you for breakfast!

Happy Gilmore: You eat pieces of **** for breakfast?
..
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 10:21 AM   #89
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A serious question. Is it possible to scan police communication equipment in order to disable it?
Sure is. You need an inexpensive small handheld device about the size of a phone to scan for the specific frequency you want to jam. The device will scan RF frequencies in use and list them for you. Once you have that list of frequencies you need a transmitter to transmit on that frequency. A strong signal of a few thousand watts will overpower any smaller devices and they cannot transmit or receive any signal above the powerful blocking transmission.

This is common knowledge to anyone with any background in ham or CB radios.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 10:27 AM   #90
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,639
Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
That's rich coming from you.



I am quite sure it will be about as believable and honest as Trump's... claims... on Twitter. : rolleyes :
Heh. Trebuchet asked non-supporters to give the thread a couple days for supporters to answer the question. I knew that wouldn't happen, so I figured I'd do the opposite: Give the non-supporters a chance to get it out of their system.

It seems like some folks are still purging. I'll give it another couple of days.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 10:32 AM   #91
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Of course it's possible to jam the police equipment. probme is the kind of electroinc gear you would need for that is expensive and might not even be available on the open market.We are talking military grade stuff here.
Nope. As I pointed out above it's quite easy to do and you can search Amazon yourself for prices on RF scanners. They're about $20. I guess that may be expensive in some areas of the World but not really that expensive in the US.

The most expensive part would be the radio used to broadcast the jamming signal. Those Galaxy radios aren't cheap, a few hundred bucks for a decent one. Linear amps are also a few hundred bucks. Not really out of reach for most Americans financially though.

Everything needed is available on the open market, in fact Amazon and Ebay are frequented by Ham and CB radio hobbyists.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 10:40 AM   #92
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
How do you fall harder than you were pushed? Hidden jets?
A quick experiment:

Standing next to a closed door lean over and gently bump your head.
Now try it with a running start from the other side of the room. Did you need jets?

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 10:53 AM   #93
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You could scan police communications at any reasonable distance. They are radio waves, they travel a long way.
One major exception to your statement.

1. A smaller low power device would need to be close to the source to pick up the frequency. Why? The closer you are to the source the better the chances of catching "bleedover" from the device that is transmitting. This is extremely important as the RF scanning devices can only pick up and lock on to active frequencies. So instead of actively scanning every frequency one at a time looking for an active frequency over a period of hours, the bleedover locks on to the neighboring frequencies immediately. Otherwise the scanner may pass over the correct frequency because it was not in use when the scanner ran that exact frequency. Once you have a ballpark frequency range of a transmission it's a matter of minutes to identify the correct one.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:04 AM   #94
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Today Trump tweeted:


I find it despicable. What about you? Can you justify it?

Non-supporters: Please refrain and give the supporters a day or two to answer. I'd very much appreciate it. You can discuss in the general Trump thread.
What part? Be specific. I don't think anyone agrees that the old man should have received a shove. He was not violent or threatening even if he had an agenda.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:06 AM   #95
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I predict that no trump supporter will address the point of the OP and at best we will again debate on if merely voting for Trump makes one a Trump supporter.
Wrong. What would you like to debate about the President's tweet?

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:19 AM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
What part? Be specific. I don't think anyone agrees that the old man should have received a shove. He was not violent or threatening even if he had an agenda.

Chris B.
Any part. What part can you defend of this tweet:

Quote:
Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment.
@OANN
I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?
Not a word of it is true. Trump is not just "asking questions" as the latest WH mouthpiece K. McEnany claims. She knows it. Trump knows it. We know it. And you should know it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:34 AM   #97
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Any part. What part can you defend of this tweet:



Not a word of it is true. Trump is not just "asking questions" as the latest WH mouthpiece K. McEnany claims. She knows it. Trump knows it. We know it. And you should know it.
You're turning my question around. How can I know what you find unacceptable about the tweet unless you tell me?

Now you're talking. Not a word is true? I see what you've done here. Someone asking a question is not true.....Wow. Think about that for a moment. If someone asks a question are they automatically lying? Or is it only if someone asks a question you don't agree with that makes them a liar?

As I said a few posts above nobody condones the elderly gentleman being shoved but one can also accept he may have had an agenda. If it is your opinion that he did not have an agenda that's fine and you're allowed to that opinion without being called a liar. However, in order to dismiss someone else's opinion that he may have had an agenda you'll need to provide some evidence to support your opinion. Do you have supporting evidence?

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:43 AM   #98
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,270
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
A quick experiment:

Standing next to a closed door lean over and gently bump your head.
Now try it with a running start from the other side of the room. Did you need jets?

Chris B.
What part of "pushed" occurs when you run up to a door?

Are you ignoring the video of what actually occurred? The man was pushed in the direction opposite his movement. He fell backwards. It's visible on the video. The idea that he thrust himself backwards into the pavement, along with the idea that his bleeding was artificial, is preposterous.

Instead of making up alternative scenarios, how about answering the basic question of the thread? Can you defend Trump's tweet?
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:45 AM   #99
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,043
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You're turning my question around. How can I know what you find unacceptable about the tweet unless you tell me?

Now you're talking. Not a word is true? I see what you've done here. Someone asking a question is not true.....Wow. Think about that for a moment. If someone asks a question are they automatically lying? Or is it only if someone asks a question you don't agree with that makes them a liar?

As I said a few posts above nobody condones the elderly gentleman being shoved but one can also accept he may have had an agenda. If it is your opinion that he did not have an agenda that's fine and you're allowed to that opinion without being called a liar. However, in order to dismiss someone else's opinion that he may have had an agenda you'll need to provide some evidence to support your opinion. Do you have supporting evidence?

Chris B.

Do you have evidence that the man is an Antifa provocateur?

Is there evidence that he was scanning police equipment to shut it all down?


Why do Trump supporters think that makes it ok to have an elderly man hit his head, bleed from the ears, and then have the police just walk by him?

Why does trump tweet such lies, that are happily accepted by his base?
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:46 AM   #100
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,482
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Nope. As I pointed out above it's quite easy to do and you can search Amazon yourself for prices on RF scanners. They're about $20. I guess that may be expensive in some areas of the World but not really that expensive in the US.

The most expensive part would be the radio used to broadcast the jamming signal. Those Galaxy radios aren't cheap, a few hundred bucks for a decent one. Linear amps are also a few hundred bucks. Not really out of reach for most Americans financially though.

Everything needed is available on the open market, in fact Amazon and Ebay are frequented by Ham and CB radio hobbyists.

Chris B.

There is a much simpler solution without needing thousands of watts.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 12th June 2020 at 11:49 AM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 11:48 AM   #101
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,482
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
One major exception to your statement.

1. A smaller low power device would need to be close to the source to pick up the frequency. Why? The closer you are to the source the better the chances of catching "bleedover" from the device that is transmitting. This is extremely important as the RF scanning devices can only pick up and lock on to active frequencies. So instead of actively scanning every frequency one at a time looking for an active frequency over a period of hours, the bleedover locks on to the neighboring frequencies immediately. Otherwise the scanner may pass over the correct frequency because it was not in use when the scanner ran that exact frequency. Once you have a ballpark frequency range of a transmission it's a matter of minutes to identify the correct one.

Chris B.
Or you could simply download the frequencies list. They are public you know.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 12:10 PM   #102
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
What part of "pushed" occurs when you run up to a door?

Are you ignoring the video of what actually occurred? The man was pushed in the direction opposite his movement. He fell backwards. It's visible on the video. The idea that he thrust himself backwards into the pavement, along with the idea that his bleeding was artificial, is preposterous.

Instead of making up alternative scenarios, how about answering the basic question of the thread? Can you defend Trump's tweet?
Accelerating forward and accelerating backward are both forms of acceleration.

Sure I can defend Trump's tweet. Specifically what part is wrong?

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Do you have evidence that the man is an Antifa provocateur?

Is there evidence that he was scanning police equipment to shut it all down?


Why do Trump supporters think that makes it ok to have an elderly man hit his head, bleed from the ears, and then have the police just walk by him?

Why does trump tweet such lies, that are happily accepted by his base?
I don't know how ANTIFA identify themselves officially. I suspect they don't. However his social media posts anti-police rants are consistent with ANTIFA philosophy.

Here's a close up of the video. What do you think he's doing with the handheld device he removed from his bag? Nothing? Does this action look normal to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo


Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Or you could simply download the frequencies list. They are public you know.
And some are not, you know.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 12:16 PM   #103
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,043
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Accelerating forward and accelerating backward are both forms of acceleration.

Sure I can defend Trump's tweet. Specifically what part is wrong?



I don't know how ANTIFA identify themselves officially. I suspect they don't. However his social media posts anti-police rants are consistent with ANTIFA philosophy.

Here's a close up of the video. What do you think he's doing with the handheld device he removed from his bag? Nothing? Does this action look normal to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo




And some are not, you know.

Chris B.
There we have it. It's perfectly Ok to knock a man over, severely injuring him, because of something he might have been doing that there is no evidence for.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 12:26 PM   #104
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 19,083
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY
I don't know how ANTIFA identify themselves officially. I suspect they don't. However his social media posts anti-police rants are consistent with ANTIFA philosophy.
So what? I say lots of things about police that might be considered consistent with antifa philosophy, but I'm not antifa. I also say things in defense of police when they're confronted with agitators like sov/cits and first amendment frauditors which might make me seem like a Trump nut, but I'm not.

Trump just spouted unevidenced assertions he heard from OAN kooks; he put them in the form of jaqing off and was called on it.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 12:28 PM   #105
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,482
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
And some are not, you know.

Chris B.
Sure. Not a problem for me. I own three scanners. So I could set one to scan the known frequencies, one to seek unknown frequencies, and the third for whatever takes my fancy. Not difficult.

As for jamming, a 0.25 watt transmitter sending out <redacted> and <redacted> will disable the <redacted> circuits in cop radios for a block. A 12.5 watt transmitter will blank lots of blocks.

How do I know this? Because building both of those were practical tasks I used to set my students back when I was teaching. Fun times.

Why the redactions? Because I am not about to invite legal scrutiny just because of your ignorance, nor provide ideas to any wingnuts that may be browsing.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 01:01 PM   #106
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You're turning my question around. How can I know what you find unacceptable about the tweet unless you tell me?
Oh, come now. Just stop with this transparent nonsense. I said "Any part". Take your pick; its a short tweet.


Quote:
Now you're talking. Not a word is true? I see what you've done here. Someone asking a question is not true.....Wow. Think about that for a moment. If someone asks a question are they automatically lying? Or is it only if someone asks a question you don't agree with that makes them a liar?
That's only the interpretation of what I said if you twist yourself into a double pretzel while bending over backwards and going under a limbo stick. Trump wasn't 'just asking questions'.

What part of this is a question?

Quote:
Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment.
@OANN
I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner.
Since no question was being asked, the rest of your question is irrelevant.

The only 'question' asked wasn't really a question at all: it was a thinly veiled insinuation. You are being intellectually dishonest.
Quote:
Could be a set up?

Quote:
As I said a few posts above nobody condones the elderly gentleman being shoved but one can also accept he may have had an agenda. If it is your opinion that he did not have an agenda that's fine and you're allowed to that opinion without being called a liar. However, in order to dismiss someone else's opinion that he may have had an agenda you'll need to provide some evidence to support your opinion. Do you have supporting evidence?
You keep talking about Gugino's 'agenda'. What exactly do you think that agenda was? Scanning police communications like Trump suggested?

You've got the proof of evidence backwards. No one has to provide evidence that Gugino wasn't scanning communications; evidence needs to be provided that he was. And no one has. Not Trump. Not OAN.


I have to say your post is one of the most blatant examples of intellectual dishonesty I've ever seen.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 01:28 PM   #107
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post


I don't know how ANTIFA identify themselves officially. I suspect they don't. However his social media posts anti-police rants are consistent with ANTIFA philosophy.
Well, now...getting your 'info' straight from OANN are ya?
This is the OANN CT 'report' about Gugino you apparently believe:
https://www.oann.com/militant-tweets...n-buffalo-n-y/

OANN is about as credible as Trump.



Quote:
Here's a close up of the video. What do you think he's doing with the handheld device he removed from his bag? Nothing? Does this action look normal to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Chris B.
Oooooooooh....a 'hand held device'. So ominous sounding. I talk and text on my 'hand held device' every day. Maybe I'm Antifa, too!

All this twaddle of Gugino being Antifa and attempting to scan and/or jam police communications is nuts. As nuts as Trump and anyone who defends his idiotic tweet.

Quote:
If you were attempting to jam police radio signals, you wouldn't need to be physically close to an officer.

However, most modern radio systems used by emergency services have defences against such jamming, says Professor Alan Woodward, a cyber security expert at Surrey University.

"In any event, even if you were attempting to scan police radios in order to jam them using a mobile phone, which is what the man appeared to be holding, this is not the equipment you would use. You would need much more sophisticated scanning equipment.

"In terms of interfering with police communications frequencies, mobile phones simply don't have components that work at those frequencies," he adds.
https://www.bbc.com/news/52984295
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 01:59 PM   #108
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,228
He has a friggin police helmet in his hand. Some have claimed he was trying to give it back to the police, even. I don't know about that but that's his "hand held device"
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:14 PM   #109
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He has a friggin police helmet in his hand. Some have claimed he was trying to give it back to the police, even. I don't know about that but that's his "hand held device"
No, it was his cell phone.

You really should listen to the OANN 'report' on this. It's so full of conjecture and insinuations and so devoid of actual evidence as to be laughable. Yet some think it's credible. OANN is just another form of Trump flavored Kool Aid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:19 PM   #110
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,228
He has a helmet in his hand. There is another picture of him from before the incident where you can see it clearly
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:22 PM   #111
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He has a helmet in his hand. There is another picture of him from before the incident where you can see it clearly
I didn't say he didn't have a helmet in his hand. He clearly has one that looks just like a police helmet with visor. But the "hand held device" that's being discussed was his cell phone in his right hand, not the helmet in his left hand.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:32 PM   #112
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
There we have it. It's perfectly Ok to knock a man over, severely injuring him, because of something he might have been doing that there is no evidence for.
That's not what I said now is it. Don't try to frame my statement to fit your false narrative.

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
So what? I say lots of things about police that might be considered consistent with antifa philosophy, but I'm not antifa. I also say things in defense of police when they're confronted with agitators like sov/cits and first amendment frauditors which might make me seem like a Trump nut, but I'm not.

Trump just spouted unevidenced assertions he heard from OAN kooks; he put them in the form of jaqing off and was called on it.
Do you travel to cities outside your home area to confront police during protests?

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Sure. Not a problem for me. I own three scanners. So I could set one to scan the known frequencies, one to seek unknown frequencies, and the third for whatever takes my fancy. Not difficult.

As for jamming, a 0.25 watt transmitter sending out <redacted> and <redacted> will disable the <redacted> circuits in cop radios for a block. A 12.5 watt transmitter will blank lots of blocks.

How do I know this? Because building both of those were practical tasks I used to set my students back when I was teaching. Fun times.

Why the redactions? Because I am not about to invite legal scrutiny just because of your ignorance, nor provide ideas to any wingnuts that may be browsing.
Now you're displaying your ignorance. Handheld transmitters in the US typically transmit between 0.5 to 5 watts. You'd need far more power transmitting to block those signals especially from a distance. Your statement regardless of "redaction" is silly and stupid.

If you wish to get into the intricacies of radio and circuit design or frequencies I'm onboard. I built my first tube type linear amp at the age of 13. That's how I know when someone is knowledgeable or an idiot on the subject.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well, now...getting your 'info' straight from OANN are ya?
This is the OANN CT 'report' about Gugino you apparently believe:
https://www.oann.com/militant-tweets...n-buffalo-n-y/

OANN is about as credible as Trump.





Oooooooooh....a 'hand held device'. So ominous sounding. I talk and text on my 'hand held device' every day. Maybe I'm Antifa, too!

All this twaddle of Gugino being Antifa and attempting to scan and/or jam police communications is nuts. As nuts as Trump and anyone who defends his idiotic tweet.


https://www.bbc.com/news/52984295
I watched the video, did you? In the video the elderly man displayed questionable actions with unknown intent. He was not from Buffalo NY, he had driven there.

Again I'll continue to say there was no reason to push him. His conduct though questionable was not violent and did not deserve a physical response.

It's funny how someone can only see one side of a situation like this. Can we agree from the video the elderly man was doing something unusual with the device in his hand?

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:32 PM   #113
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 43,088
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The reason why even Trump's own lawyers say that his Tweets can't be slanderous is simply this:

no one in his right mind would take a Tweet by Trump seriously.
Yes. That's a fact.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:34 PM   #114
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,863
Reading some of the arguments in this thread, I'm making a not-so-unusual motion with my hand.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:44 PM   #115
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He has a friggin police helmet in his hand. Some have claimed he was trying to give it back to the police, even. I don't know about that but that's his "hand held device"
This narrative is a lie. He did not have a police helmet in his hand. Unless police wear small handheld devices the size of a cell phone on their head. Please do your due diligence and put an end to falsehoods. It is very easy to see the device in the video I linked earlier.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:45 PM   #116
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 19,083
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Do you travel to cities outside your home area to confront police during protests?
I've participated in political activism outside my home town, just as Mr. Gugino did, and Trump nuts at silly Trump rallies do.

Again, so what?

Last edited by Resume; 12th June 2020 at 02:47 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:46 PM   #117
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,043
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That's not what I said now is it. Don't try to frame my statement to fit your false narrative.
Sure is, You're making some odd gestures, and statements. I'm allowed to make wild accusations and have them treated as true.

Just like Trump, and accusations against the poor guy who has a brain injury now.


Quote:
*SNIP*


It's funny how someone can only see one side of a situation like this. Can we agree from the video the elderly man was doing something unusual with the device in his hand?

Chris B.
What was he doing? Provide evidence. Don't make things up like Trump and OANN.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:49 PM   #118
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,043
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
This narrative is a lie. He did not have a police helmet in his hand. Unless police wear small handheld devices the size of a cell phone on their head. Please do your due diligence and put an end to falsehoods. It is very easy to see the device in the video I linked earlier.

Chris B.
He only had one hand? Amazing.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:49 PM   #119
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 19,083
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Reading some of the arguments in this thread, I'm making a not-so-unusual motion with my hand.
That's an appropriate action, with a known intent.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 02:56 PM   #120
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post

I watched the video, did you? In the video the elderly man displayed questionable actions with unknown intent. He was not from Buffalo NY, he had driven there.

Again I'll continue to say there was no reason to push him. His conduct though questionable was not violent and did not deserve a physical response.

It's funny how someone can only see one side of a situation like this. Can we agree from the video the elderly man was doing something unusual with the device in his hand?

Chris B.
Yes, I've watched it several times. Why were his actions 'questionable'?

He's a frail 75 year old man. Just what danger or threat was he posing to the police? Was he attacking them with their helmet? Assaulting them with his cell phone? Running up to them screaming?

Gugino lives in Amherst, a suburb of Buffalo. He is originally from Buffalo. Why you brought up the fact he drove in to Buffalo is interesting. Are you suggesting he was an outsider brought in to agitate? If so, how very Trumpian.

No, we cannot agree that Gugino was "doing something unusual with t the device his cell phone in his hand. Using 'device' to insinuate it wasn't a cell phone is not very clever or subtle. But again, very Trumpian.

ETA: For someone who claims he's watched the video, I suggest you watch it again. He clearly has a helmet with a visor that looks exactly like the helmets the police are wearing in his left hand.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th June 2020 at 03:00 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.