IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa conspiracies , assault incidents , donald trump , Martin Gugino , police incidents , police misconduct charges

Reply
Old 14th June 2020, 06:21 PM   #201
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It cracks me up that I'm seeing banners that say

Trump 2020
Enough BS

Enough BS"? Trump BS's more than any human being alive.
It's the best BS! BS like the world has never seen before! I've done more for BS than any president in history, even more than Nixon! People are saying, "Sir, how do you know so much BS?" I say, "I don't know. Maybe it's in my genes. My father and uncle, who taught at MIT, knew a lot about BS, too. Even my kids, especially Eric and Don Jr, are great at BS."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 06:47 PM   #202
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Um...no. As I posted before, which you either missed or hand waved away, the first mention of the word "phone" is this:
Yes I saw that, "about the phone" was to pOlka.

I have not missed that the BBC first says the object appears to be a phone then goes straight to describing the object in his hand as a "phone".

This takes an opinion into the realm of a statement of fact.

They could just as easily have said "The object in his hand appears to be consistent with a popular RF frequency scanner sold on Amazon." and then go straight to describing the object in his hand as a "RF scanner".

Neither statement is accurate or determinable by watching the video. There is a difference between stating something as an opinion and then stating that same opinion as fact later on.

I'll ask you the same question as the other guys. After viewing the video can you say with certainty he has a phone in his hand?

Because I don't know with certainty what it is. It may be a phone or it may be something else.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:02 PM   #203
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,219
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Maybe they're extolling it as a virtue? Like "Vote in Trump because he spreads enough BS to go around! The Dems and RINOs dont have nearly enough BS!"
Only the best BS
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:15 PM   #204
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Yes I saw that, "about the phone" was to pOlka.

I have not missed that the BBC first says the object appears to be a phone then goes straight to describing the object in his hand as a "phone".

This takes an opinion into the realm of a statement of fact.
Not unless that is what the reader wants to infer. It does, in fact, 'appear' to be a phone. It's the same size and shape as a freaking PHONE. Has ANYONE proved other wise? No. Has anyone, other than Trump, OANN, or conspiracy theorists suggested otherwise? No.
Quote:
They could just as easily have said "The object in his hand appears to be consistent with a popular RF frequency scanner sold on Amazon." and then go straight to describing the object in his hand as a "RF scanner".
But does it " appear to be consistent with a popular RF frequency scanner sold on Amazon"? And, if so, does that scanner actually do what Trump and OANN suggest Gugino was doing?

Quote:
Neither statement is accurate or determinable by watching the video. There is a difference between stating something as an opinion and then stating that same opinion as fact later on.

I'll ask you the same question as the other guys. After viewing the video can you say with certainty he has a phone in his hand?

Because I don't know with certainty what it is. It may be a phone or it may be something else.

Chris B.
The object is the size and shape of a phone. Which is carried by the vast majority of people in the country on a daily basis. For crying out loud, that phone...or whatever CT idiots would like it to be... would have been collected by whoever transported Gugino to the hospital or the police. Do you REALLY think if it was some kind of scanner that wouldn't have been revealed by now?* Get real. This entire CT is beyond stupid.

*Let me guess: the Dem run Deep State has the 'scanner' in order to deceive the public about Gugino being an Antifa agitator.







ETA: You know what? I'm done responding to such a ridiculous subject. It's a waste of time and, frankly, idiotic.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 14th June 2020 at 07:18 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:19 PM   #205
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,219
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post


I've often wondered what is so attractive about conspiracy theories to some people. What is it that makes them embrace the most outlandish ideas with such fervor? I don't get it. Maybe their lives are just boring and they need the excitement it apparently brings to them.
Conspiracy theorists are generally people who are very insecure, and need the attention that comes with being special and having "special knowledge" that they think no-one else has... that is the attraction - the idea that they are sooper dooper intelligent and are somehow privileged to "know" stuff that mere sheeple do not.

As Jay Utah so aptly puts it, "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition."
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:29 PM   #206
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,232
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Conspiracy theorists are generally people who are very insecure, and need the attention that comes with being special and having "special knowledge" that they think no-one else has... that is the attraction - the idea that they are sooper dooper intelligent and are somehow privileged to "know" stuff that mere sheeple do not.

As Jay Utah so aptly puts it, "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition."
This is what Psychology Today says about the CT prone mind:

Quote:
First is the fundamental attribution error, which is our tendency to prefer dispositional explanations to situational ones. When we observe an event happening, we are much more likely to attribute it to some intentional, internal motive than to circumstance and happenstance.
Quote:
Belief perseverance refers to the fact that we seek to maintain our beliefs even after the information that originally gave rise to it has been refuted. Once we’re set in our beliefs, evidence to the contrary will be dismissed, actively.
Quote:
The third psychological factor is our desire to be uniquely knowledgeable, to possess knowledge that others don’t. Knowledge is power. And we all prefer feeling powerful to feeling powerless. This is gratifying and empowering for us particularly when the complexity and uncertainty of life feels overwhelming. “Conspiracy theories

… supply a seductive ego boost. Believers often consider themselves part of a select in-group that — unlike the deluded masses — has figured out what’s really going on.”

Fourth is our brain’s adaptive capacity for pattern recognition. As Johns Hopkins neurologist Mark Mattson puts it

: “Superior pattern processing is the essence of the evolved human brain.” It is, “the fundamental basis of most, if not all, unique features of the human brain including intelligence, language, imagination, invention, and the belief in imaginary entities such as ghosts and gods.”
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...iracy-theories
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:39 PM   #207
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Conspiracy theorists are generally people who are very insecure, and need the attention that comes with being special and having "special knowledge" that they think no-one else has... that is the attraction - the idea that they are sooper dooper intelligent and are somehow privileged to "know" stuff that mere sheeple do not.

As Jay Utah so aptly puts it, "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition."
I am not sure this is true. Maybe.

I see a lot of simple paranoia in many conspiracy theories. That the game is always rigged and to think otherwise is naive.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:45 PM   #208
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,219
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I am not sure this is true. Maybe.

I see a lot of simple paranoia in many conspiracy theories. That the game is always rigged and to think otherwise is naive.
Stacy asked what the attraction was, and the link she provided pretty much agrees with me on that, almost word for word

"...desire to be uniquely knowledgeable, to possess knowledge that others don’t"

"Believers often consider themselves part of a select in-group that — unlike the deluded masses — has figured out what’s really going on.”
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:51 PM   #209
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,863
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
And, just for funsies, if it was possible to connect to a police officer's body cam at Bluetooth range, why would anyone give a ******?


That’s a good point. If you’re close enough to connect to a police body cam, you’d be better served using your own eyes to see what that cam sees.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:56 PM   #210
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Stacy asked what the attraction was, and the link she provided pretty much agrees with me on that, almost word for word

"...desire to be uniquely knowledgeable, to possess knowledge that others don’t"

"Believers often consider themselves part of a select in-group that — unlike the deluded masses — has figured out what’s really going on.”
That makes sense. Definitely. I don't disagree. I just know a man who buys almost every conspiracy theory. I love him a lot. He's kind and caring, but also nuts.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 09:47 PM   #211
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not unless that is what the reader wants to infer. It does, in fact, 'appear' to be a phone. It's the same size and shape as a freaking PHONE. Has ANYONE proved other wise? No. Has anyone, other than Trump, OANN, or conspiracy theorists suggested otherwise? No.


But does it " appear to be consistent with a popular RF frequency scanner sold on Amazon"? And, if so, does that scanner actually do what Trump and OANN suggest Gugino was doing?



The object is the size and shape of a phone. Which is carried by the vast majority of people in the country on a daily basis. For crying out loud, that phone...or whatever CT idiots would like it to be... would have been collected by whoever transported Gugino to the hospital or the police. Do you REALLY think if it was some kind of scanner that wouldn't have been revealed by now?* Get real. This entire CT is beyond stupid.

*Let me guess: the Dem run Deep State has the 'scanner' in order to deceive the public about Gugino being an Antifa agitator.





http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6d9a6b434e.jpg

ETA: You know what? I'm done responding to such a ridiculous subject. It's a waste of time and, frankly, idiotic.
I've made no claim as to what he has in his hand. I agree that from the video there is no way to tell what it is or why he's doing whatever it is with it. To me that's where the story ends, with the facts.

Anyone in the press that tries to make more out of it than that is trying to turn opinion into a determination of fact.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 10:17 PM   #212
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692


Considering how a mask is attached, what is that extra thing?

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 10:28 PM   #213
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,874
you must be very desperate
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 10:34 PM   #214
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,219
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12530

Considering how a mask is attached, what is that extra thing?

Chris B.
Considering he is 75, a hearing aid? (note, my hearing aid is flesh-coloured and looks exactly the sized and shape of that lump)

You ARE desperate to find anything, ANYTHiNG to to justify defending the vile crap dished out by Dear Leader
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th June 2020 at 10:35 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 11:39 PM   #215
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Considering he is 75, a hearing aid? (note, my hearing aid is flesh-coloured and looks exactly the sized and shape of that lump)

You ARE desperate to find anything, ANYTHiNG to to justify defending the vile crap dished out by Dear Leader
Why would it be under his mask? And when I enlarge the pic it looks like another one on the bottom too. 2 Rubber tubing thingies and 2 rubber bands that affix the mask around the ear. Total of 4 "things" in an area where we should see only 2 "things" or 3 if he has a hearing aid. What's with #4?

And no, I see something that looks odd in the picture and I ask a question. Are you so desperate to believe everything you are shown or told by the media without question? I like to ask questions.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 11:43 PM   #216
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
you must be very desperate
I wouldn't consider examining evidence as an act of desperation. It's a search for the facts. Don't you like facts? I do.

Here's a pic of him chatting with the guy that took the video a few minutes before the confrontation with police. Notice, no mask, no hearing aid.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12531


And here is a pic of his left side:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12532



He appears to be wearing 2 masks. One looks like a surgical mask and attaches around the ears with rubber bands. The other appears to be an M5 or similar mask yet instead of attaching around the ears with rubber bands there is a heavy rubber tubing of some sort. Looks like medical grade tubing from the color. Now on the pic of his right ear you can see the tubing was fitted together with the object that is still attached to one piece of the tubing now laying on his ear and the top piece of the unattached tubing is near the front of his ear. These two areas seem to be where the large flow of "blood" is draining from. OK, I'm with Trump on this one. It was a setup. Case closed.

Chris B.

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 15th June 2020 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added pic + info.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 12:18 AM   #217
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,874
so his doctors are liars?
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 12:43 AM   #218
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,378
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Anyone in the press that tries to make more out of it than that is trying to turn opinion into a determination of fact.
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY
OK, I'm with Trump on this one. It was a setup. Case closed.
No need to tell us, we knew that already.

Originally Posted by smartcooky
Conspiracy theorists are generally people who are very insecure, and need the attention that comes with being special and having "special knowledge" that they think no-one else has... that is the attraction - the idea that they are sooper dooper intelligent and are somehow privileged to "know" stuff that mere sheeple do not.
But this isn't a CT, it's just partisanship.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 12:45 AM   #219
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 43,088
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The handheld device looks like a phone, it looks to me like it's recording video and if asked to speculate on what he's doing my best guess would be that he is taking a video record of the police officer's identifying insignia or lack thereof.
That's too obvious. It must be something more nefarious.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:30 AM   #220
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
so his doctors are liars?
I dunno what did they say. The liquid coming out of those tubes was from his brain?

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:31 AM   #221
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
No need to tell us, we knew that already.

But this isn't a CT, it's just partisanship.
Evidence is evidence. Sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:38 AM   #222
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,396
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

ETA: You know what? I'm done responding to such a ridiculous subject. It's a waste of time and, frankly, idiotic.
Gotta admit, it was a very effective red herring.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 02:36 AM   #223
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,219
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I wouldn't consider examining evidence as an act of desperation. It's a search for the facts. Don't you like facts? I do.
You're not examining evidence!

You're not searching for facts!

What you are ARE doing is throwing as much **** at the wall as you can in the desperate hope that some of it might stick


Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Here's a pic of him chatting with the guy that took the video a few minutes before the confrontation with police. Notice, no mask, no hearing aid.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12531
So?

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
And here is a pic of his left side:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12532
So?

Is this evidence of anything? No, its just more ****-slinging

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12530

He appears to be wearing 2 masks. One looks like a surgical mask and attaches around the ears with rubber bands. The other appears to be an M5 or similar mask yet instead of attaching around the ears with rubber bands there is a heavy rubber tubing of some sort. Looks like medical grade tubing from the color. Now on the pic of his right ear you can see the tubing was fitted together with the object that is still attached to one piece of the tubing now laying on his ear and the top piece of the unattached tubing is near the front of his ear. These two areas seem to be where the large flow of "blood" is draining from.
You can tell all that from a low resolution screen cap from a cellphone video?

Well, I must say, that in your career so far of running around North-West USA chasing imaginary apelike cryptids, you have definitely missed your calling. You should have become a forensic photogrammologist. With such keen insight and wonderful observational skills, the FBI would pay a fortune to have someone like you on their staff; you could name your own price.

Of course the (more likely) alternative is that you are just talking a load of bollocks.

PS: I'm ten years younger than Mr Gugino, and like him, I was in the firing line for Covid 19. I wore two masks; the inside one was a paper dust mask which was to minimise contact with the outer, latex medical mask (because I am allergic to latex - causes severe skin rashes)
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th June 2020 at 02:37 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 03:02 AM   #224
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,013
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
They could just as easily have said "The object in his hand appears to be consistent with a popular RF frequency scanner sold on Amazon." and then go straight to describing the object in his hand as a "RF scanner".

Chris B.


they could say that if there is a popular RF frequency scanner sold on Amazon that looks like the object in his hand, which can be seen quite clearly in the video you linked to. Is there? Fancy posting a link to an RF frequency scanner on Amazon that looks exactly like the object in his hand? Remember, it needs to be as thin as a phone, have a glass front with no visable buttons and be capable of displaying live video of what is in front of it as it's being waved around as these are attributes we can see in the video you posted.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 03:17 AM   #225
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,482
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Now you're displaying your ignorance. Handheld transmitters in the US typically transmit between 0.5 to 5 watts. You'd need far more power transmitting to block those signals especially from a distance. Your statement regardless of "redaction" is silly and stupid.

If you wish to get into the intricacies of radio and circuit design or frequencies I'm onboard. I built my first tube type linear amp at the age of 13. That's how I know when someone is knowledgeable or an idiot on the subject.
And I know you are flat out wrong. You would realise that too if you had the foggiest clue what you were babbling about.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 04:53 AM   #226
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,540
For the skull truthers out there, what's the alleged purpose of this super secret RF scanner?

Police radio is over the air. You can listen to it with a common radio scanner well outside the shoving range of cops. Does the Buffalo PD use an encrypted radio frequency? Would "scanning" a radio reveal that encryption setting? What goal would this antifa super-soldier have in "scanning" a cop's radio?
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th June 2020 at 04:56 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 04:56 AM   #227
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,874
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
For the skull truthers out there, what's the alleged purpose of this super secret RF scanner?

Police radio is over the air. You can listen to it with a common radio scanner well outside the shoving range of cops. What goal would this antifa super-soldier have in "scanning" a cop's radio?
Once scanned, they can control cops via 5G and make them do terrible things, like not voting for Trump.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 06:24 AM   #228
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,013
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
For the skull truthers out there, what's the alleged purpose of this super secret RF scanner?
Getting the defence in first-:

"Where is the bodycam footage from the period when these Officers were allegedly assaulting protesters?"

"Sorry Your Honour, there isn't any, our cameras were hacked [stiffles snigger]"
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 06:43 AM   #229
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,863
Trump Supporters: Can you defend this?

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
For the skull truthers out there, what's the alleged purpose of this super secret RF scanner?

Police radio is over the air. You can listen to it with a common radio scanner well outside the shoving range of cops. Does the Buffalo PD use an encrypted radio frequency? Would "scanning" a radio reveal that encryption setting? What goal would this antifa super-soldier have in "scanning" a cop's radio?


He was trying to hack into the officers Bluetooth to put a soundtrack over their body cam footage. He labeled it "check out this video of Obama admitting he’s from Kenya"

Last edited by carlitos; 15th June 2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Bad at internet
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:04 AM   #230
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,266
Skipping ahead in this silly thread, is ChrisBFRKY really asking why a person who habitually wears a hearing aid would have it under his mask? Maybe because to work it has to be in his ear, and the mask strap goes over his ear?

As for the issue of who determined what, I think we have lost track of what this thread is about. It is about whether one can defend Trump's tweet, and what Trump says in his tweet includes not simply tendentious and ignorant questions, but actual assertions.

" I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. " is not a question, is not a speculation, is not amenable to the scanty excuses of wondering if Gugino was doing something unlikely or impossible. They are bold faced allegations. They state that the president knew, and is sure, that Gugino threw himself backward, and the obvious accusation that he had a scanner, since you can't aim a scanner unless you have one.

So let's cut the nonsense about wondering what Gugino was holding, or trying to figure out how he wore his hearing aid, and all that ****, and ask again, can anyone defend a statement that includes Trump's bold-faced assertion that the video everyone has seen over and over shows Gugino throwing himself to the ground and operating a scanner?
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:10 AM   #231
p0lka
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: near trees, houses and a lake.
Posts: 2,266
Edit: not needed.

Last edited by p0lka; 15th June 2020 at 07:40 AM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:16 AM   #232
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,863
Fixed. I'm having issues posting a link on my phone. For this particular link, I didn't want the youtube embedded...
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:26 AM   #233
eeyore1954
Philosopher
 
eeyore1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,758
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Today Trump tweeted:


I find it despicable. What about you? Can you justify it?

Non-supporters: Please refrain and give the supporters a day or two to answer. I'd very much appreciate it. You can discuss in the general Trump thread.
No I can't.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 08:13 AM   #234
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 50,639
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The nice thing about reporting facts is that it limits reporter bias.
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well actually, it eliminates reporter bias
Not so. Facts can be cherry-picked. There is no way to eliminate bias.

I'm surprised that you believe it's possible.

However, if you do believe it's possible to actually eliminate reporter bias by only reporting facts... Then I'd expect you to be prompt and vehement in your condemnation of any reporter or editor who allowed anything but facts in their reports. You think there's a foolproof method for eliminating reporter bias. Why wouldn't you demand that this method be used by all reporters at all times?

You believe the reporter had an option that avoided all bias in their reporting, and you know they chose not to use that option. What does that tell you about their ethics and their trustworthiness?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 10:10 AM   #235
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
And I know you are flat out wrong. You would realise that too if you had the foggiest clue what you were babbling about.
Wrong about what? Be specific.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 10:31 AM   #236
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
they could say that if there is a popular RF frequency scanner sold on Amazon that looks like the object in his hand, which can be seen quite clearly in the video you linked to. Is there? Fancy posting a link to an RF frequency scanner on Amazon that looks exactly like the object in his hand? Remember, it needs to be as thin as a phone, have a glass front with no visable buttons and be capable of displaying live video of what is in front of it as it's being waved around as these are attributes we can see in the video you posted.
To be clear, I was not alleging he was holding a RF scanner in his hand. I was pointing out it would be dishonest to do so as you cannot tell from the video what the device is. It does look like a phone, but it also looks like other things so one cannot make an honest determination of exactly what it is. We can have an opinion about what it is and that's fine.

However the BBC fact checker goes from opinion to statement of fact about the device in his hand being a phone. A fact checker. Facts are supposed to be facts, not cleverly prequalified opinions.

Regardless, it makes no difference now. After viewing the close up video of the liquid (alleged blood) flowing from the rubber tubes to the ground the entire situation was a preplanned interaction with police for the camera. It was a setup.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 10:37 AM   #237
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,269
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12530

Considering how a mask is attached, what is that extra thing?

Chris B.
A remote-controlled missile impact!
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 10:38 AM   #238
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Skipping ahead in this silly thread, is ChrisBFRKY really asking why a person who habitually wears a hearing aid would have it under his mask? Maybe because to work it has to be in his ear, and the mask strap goes over his ear?

As for the issue of who determined what, I think we have lost track of what this thread is about. It is about whether one can defend Trump's tweet, and what Trump says in his tweet includes not simply tendentious and ignorant questions, but actual assertions.

" I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. " is not a question, is not a speculation, is not amenable to the scanty excuses of wondering if Gugino was doing something unlikely or impossible. They are bold faced allegations. They state that the president knew, and is sure, that Gugino threw himself backward, and the obvious accusation that he had a scanner, since you can't aim a scanner unless you have one.

So let's cut the nonsense about wondering what Gugino was holding, or trying to figure out how he wore his hearing aid, and all that ****, and ask again, can anyone defend a statement that includes Trump's bold-faced assertion that the video everyone has seen over and over shows Gugino throwing himself to the ground and operating a scanner?
Sure, none of that stuff matters now. After viewing the zoomed in video of the rubber tubes by his right ear there is a liquid flowing out of one of the tubes in a good sized stream to the ground. This liquid was called "blood" by the video camera operator Mr Gugino was speaking with just prior to the incident. It was a setup. Nothing more. Trump is absolutely correct on that part. As for the scanner etc.. who can say? Doesn't really matter.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 10:42 AM   #239
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,482
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Wrong about what? Be specific.

Chris B.
And effectively provide instructions for how to do it?

Get over yourself. There is a reason for those redactions. A legal one.

As if you didn't know.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 11:01 AM   #240
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,277
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Sure, none of that stuff matters now. After viewing the zoomed in video of the rubber tubes by his right ear there is a liquid flowing out of one of the tubes in a good sized stream to the ground. This liquid was called "blood" by the video camera operator Mr Gugino was speaking with just prior to the incident. It was a setup. Nothing more. Trump is absolutely correct on that part. As for the scanner etc.. who can say? Doesn't really matter.

Chris B.
Are you seriously trying to suggest that the injury was faked? The liquid was blood and it was pouring out of his ear because he had a fractured skull. He’s still in hospital. Or is it you contention that the hospital is in on the conspiracy?

I seriously hope I’ve misunderstood you - in which case I apologise - because I find it hard to believe anybody could be such a ****.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.