IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 02:37 PM   #3361
dirtywick
Illuminator

inciting an armed mob to try and take over US Congress is news imo
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:37 PM   #3362
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Oh, you are ******* kidding me. "We had an election that was stolen from us...this was a fraudulent election...I know how you feel...etc." He's telling them to go home and simultaneously repeating the lies that brought them to this point!

There have been a lot of low points in Trump's presidency- that little performance has got to be one of the lowest.
Yet it's not the least bit surprising.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:38 PM   #3363
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Or no wait....maybe it's THIS Capitol Security.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:39 PM   #3364
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Problem is that it's an American Treadiion that the Capitol building is open to the public...much more then the White House. Sadly, that might have to change.
I don’t understand your point. Why would daily tourists be a reason to not install thick bulletproof doors. They could even be sliding doors hidden behind some wood paneling - no one need even see them.

The doors to the gallery and the doors to the floor need to be reinforced.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:40 PM   #3365
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Right....by "Capitol Security".

This Capitol Security?
Would like to know the context of this clip. If it's true that the police let protesters into the building, that speaks novels about American democracy. I'm praying that's not the case.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:42 PM   #3366
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Yet Democrats want to abolish the filibuster, pack the court, give DC residents legislative representation, provide health-care for all, and equalize the races.
We be bad!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:42 PM   #3367
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Would like to know the context of this clip. If it's true that the police let protesters into the building, that speaks novels about American democracy. I'm praying that's not the case.
No bulletproof reinforced doors help if they are opened willingly.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:47 PM   #3368
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
A few police removed at least one barricade at the bottom of the Capitol Steps.i saw video of them doing it on Twitter and they turned around and walked towards the building with the protesters following and passing the casually walking police.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #3369
angrysoba
Philosophile

Relax! It’s just an attempted coup!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #3370
Checkmite

Finally, after....what, two hours? Police in riot turnout are starting to show up at the Capitol. Just kind of hanging out while the rioters leave the building untouched.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:54 PM   #3371
angrysoba
Philosophile

One of those ******* is carrying a Confederate flag.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:00 PM   #3372
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
He'd look awfully funny with it sticking our of his ass . . .
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:01 PM   #3373
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
So, Skeptic Ginger, how is totally-not-a-coup going?
Did they bring an army? No

Have they been ejected already from the building? Yes

Was anyone shot? It appears one civilian was shot and from the image I'd say it was a protester (hiking boots). So not an armed insurrection.

Did you consider the standoff at Bundy's ranch or the Malheur Wildlife Refuge an insurrection? They were armed, they held police off.

It's hard for me to call this folly a coup without bursting out laughing.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:03 PM   #3374
Checkmite

"It's not a dangerous cult, that's just hysterics."
Old 6th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #3375
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
But Trump didn't tell them to storm the Capitol. He said: "Don't storm the Capitol guys." (exaggerated wink)

That's why it's not a coup.
If you think that's my argument, it's a straw man.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #3376
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did they bring an army? No

Have they been ejected already from the building? Yes

Was anyone shot? It appears one civilian was shot and from the image I'd say it was a protester (hiking boots). So not an armed insurrection.

Did you consider the standoff at Bundy's ranch or the Malheur Wildlife Refuge an insurrection? They were armed, they held police off.

It's hard for me to call this folly a coup without bursting out laughing.
Oh, I started reading the response and thought someone was doing an impression of you. But no. You actually wrote that.

Old 6th January 2021, 03:05 PM   #3377
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think that before this is over Trump will either be dictator or dead.
Yeah..no.

He didn't even leave the WH bunker to lead the troops.

Old 6th January 2021, 03:06 PM   #3378
Cain
Straussian

2020: Top that!
2021: Hold my beer.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #3379
Garrison
Philosopher

If you think that's my argument, it's a straw man.
No your argument appears to be that unless the parties concerned cosplay the Army of Northern Virginia its not an attempt to overthrow the government.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #3380
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There seems to be a consensus that a traditional coup is usually supported by elements of the military. In the U.S., military leaders have said plainly that they will not support the president unlawfully.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...555_story.html
Yeah, that's my interpretation as well.

No army, no coup, just a dictator wanna-be with a wanna-be army that he isn't even in charge of.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #3381
Checkmite

Yeah..no.

He didn't even leave the WH bunker to lead the troops.

No dictator leaves the bunker to lead the troops. They come out afterwards and act like they did.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #3382
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Remember all those reports of Trump having private meetings with the rank and file troops? He's told them to distrust their officers for just this reason.

Loyal American forces should put these GOP terrorists down NOW!
Did you see troops joining in with the rioters?

Or is this a joke?
Old 6th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #3383
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Was this assessment made before or after Trump supporters were in an armed standoff with law enforcement inside the Capitol?
They were?

Or is this too a joke?
Old 6th January 2021, 03:11 PM   #3384
dirtywick
Illuminator

can't really be sure what their occupations are
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #3385
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So where does Trump's poodle at the DoD refusing to deploy the National Guard fit into that? So long as they are taking orders from the administration that fired up this assault on the Capitol they are taking sides.
Are you guys getting this from some crackpot right-wing source?

What refusal to deploy troops? You mean the troops that are already there?
Old 6th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #3386
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Problem is that it's an American Treadiion that the Capitol building is open to the public...much more then the White House. Sadly, that might have to change.
During the Kavanaugh hearings, protestors were arrested for just being on the steps of the Capitol.

So, no, you cannot just go to the Capitol whenever you want.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #3387
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It is a coup attempt. There is no need for troops to join in for it to be a coup attempt.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #3388
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Reportedly there were multiple confederate flags and even a swastika
Old 6th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #3389
Cain
Straussian

David Frum: There's something too organized sounding about the word "coup." Let's use the German "putsch," which suggests a quick and dirty grab for power. The Trump putsch.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #3390
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Today's storming of the capitol is the culmination of years of cooperation between a rising fascist movement and local police departments.

The disparity in response by police to public protests and riots is glaring. Left wing protests elicit huge responses from local police, resulting in masses of riot cops or the calling of the national guard.

Meanwhile fascists can openly announce their intention to riot weeks in advance and still find only a tepid response from local PD. Today's storming of the halls of power was only possible because local police chose to not respond appropriately.

Honestly ask yourself. Can you imagine any vaguely lefty riot being able to get inside the building with such little resistance? There would be live fire long before they reached the doors. MAGA fascists get the red carpet rolled out for them by the cops. The cops have revealed themselves to be playing a very active political role in these moments of unrest. It's time that the dangerous ideology running through our police is addressed directly.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 6th January 2021 at 03:17 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #3391
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Did you see troops joining in with the rioters?
Or is this a joke?
Protestors threatens that next time they will be back with guns. I am sure you will dismiss, ignore, deny and downplay again.

Meanwhile in real world things escalated yet again.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #3392
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
During the Kavanaugh hearings, protestors were arrested for just being on the steps of the Capitol.

So, no, you cannot just go to the Capitol whenever you want.
I know,my point it the Capitol builsing has never been clsoed off the way the White House is.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #3393
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Protestors threatens that next time they will be back with guns. I am sure you will dismiss, ignore, deny and downplay again.

Meanwhile in real world things escalated yet again.
If asked, I will get my 50 year old ass back into BDU to fight the insurrectinists in DC.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #3394
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Today's storming of the capitol is the culmination of years of cooperation between a rising fascist movement and local police departments.

The disparity in response by police to public protests and riots is glaring. Left wing protests elicit huge responses from local police, resulting in masses of riot cops or the calling of the national guard.

Meanwhile fascists can openly announce their intention to riot weeks in advance and still find only a tepid response from local PD. Today's storming of the halls of power was only possible because local police chose to not respond appropriately.
So the left should arm up?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #3395
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You are completely unaware of the developments of the last two hours, aren't you?
So let's see, the Capitol police were briefly overrun and now the building and steps have been cleared for the most part by DC Swat and I'm not sure who else.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:18 PM   #3396
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's not the presence of weapons that changes the response, I'm sure.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:18 PM   #3397
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Cops don't treat right wing extremists as enemies. Right wing crimes count for less in their eyes. That's my point. They look the other way while these fascists engage in blatant criminality in the streets.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:19 PM   #3398
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I am watching. Capitol Security has been overrun. The mob is freely moving around the Capitol with little or no law enforcement presence. They’ve taken over.
OK, I see. You guys were posting 2 hours ago. My bad.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:19 PM   #3399
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Video of a DC riot cop holding the hand of someone who stormed the capitol, helping her down the stairs.

https://twitter.com/_DaniBeck/status...41125320351744

Meanwhile cops gave an old man in Buffalo permanent brain damage for attending a BLM protest on the public streets.

Get a ****** clue.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:22 PM   #3400
3point14
Pi

???

The seat of government is not at Bundy's Ranch or in a wildlife refuge.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics