IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 1st February 2021, 09:27 PM   #361
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Yeah, well, where I go 1 sometimes i also go 2
In my reality (to which I'm entitled) you just quelled that meme.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 10:59 PM   #362
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Cynthia McKinney, but that was a long time back.
Also from Georgia.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 11:17 PM   #363
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans are just jealous that Marge is getting all the attention.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 11:32 PM   #364
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Moscow Mitch vs Mad Marge...best match up until the new "King Kong VS Godzilla" opens later this year.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 11:49 PM   #365
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
And so the battle-lines are drawn between the McConnell Republicans and the Q-Republicans. Not attacking Trump directly, but those associated with his perceived reality.
Are they though ?

This could just be an attempt by McConnell to reassure the "moderate" Republicans that the QAnon nuts aren't going to take over the party the same way that the religious fundamentalists, Tea Party activists and Trumpists have while his failure to call her out specifically and individually is a nod and a wink that she's welcome in the party.

IMO it's window dressing, nothing more. He is however mistaken if he thinks that QAnon sentiment won't continue to thrive in the party and won't start to have a major influence on policy in the future.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 11:58 PM   #366
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Are they though ?

This could just be an attempt by McConnell to reassure the "moderate" Republicans that the QAnon nuts aren't going to take over the party the same way that the religious fundamentalists, Tea Party activists and Trumpists have while his failure to call her out specifically and individually is a nod and a wink that she's welcome in the party.

IMO it's window dressing, nothing more. He is however mistaken if he thinks that QAnon sentiment won't continue to thrive in the party and won't start to have a major influence on policy in the future.
I got a feeling if Trump had never happened, you would still hate all Republicans.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:20 AM   #367
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I got a feeling if Trump had never happened, you would still hate all Republicans.
All Republicans? There's more than enough to hate among just the pre-T**** Christian Fascists to fill the blackest heart. You know, the hypocrites who would kill a doctor to save a foetus. Who praise God and guns in the same breath. Who believe lucre is the LORD's reward.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:21 AM   #368
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Cynthia McKinney, but that was a long time back.
What a wacko. She was also from Georgia like MTG. However, after going full CT crazy about 9/11 in 2001, she also lost the primary challenge in 2002 instead of being embraced by the Dems thereby proving my point. McKinney was re-elected in 2004. "However, contrary to traditional practice, the Democrats did not restore McKinney's seniority. Had she been able to regain her seniority, she would have been a senior Democrat on the International Relations and Armed Services committees, as well as ranking Democrat on an International Relations subcommittee."* Once again, the Dems showed their disapproval of her outlandish conspiracy theories with action.

*Wikipedia
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:25 AM   #369
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
That's right, you entitled elitist neo-liberal snob. You're still not allowed.
You sweet talker, you!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:43 AM   #370
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

All is stretching it a bit far, but I haven't seen much redeemable in the Republican party since 1980.

John McCain seemed a decent enough person, but seemed reluctant to back up his opinions with actual Senate votes. George H W Bush seemed a honourable individual.

For the last forty years, the GOP have been the party of dismantling the welfare safety net, giving huge tax breaks to rich individuals and huge corporations and increasing wealth and income inequality. They have set about dismantling environmental and workers' protections, reversing the progress made on civil rights and removing and suppressing the right for the wrong sort of people to vote.

First the Republicans courted the religious fundamentalists, and incorporated their views into policy even though it ran against a lot of what "moderate" Republicans wanted. Then they embraced the Tea Party and finally they've thrown open their doors to the white supremacists and conspiracy theorists.

President Trump isn't an outlier in that trajectory.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:39 AM   #371
Susheel
Graduate Poster

...President Trump isn't an outlier in that trajectory.
Also...to add to your response to dudalb, trying to couch criticism of Republican stance over the past 3 or maybe even four decades as "hating" all Republicans is pretty silly. Trump is a product of the malaise of the GOP that began way back when they began to validate the fringe evangelical and Tea Party voices.
The real danger is in thinking that he is the culmination. To treat Trump's rise in the GOP as an aberration is a grave mistake. If you go into denial and behave as if this was all a bad dream that has passes, rest assured, the next GOP candidate will probably be worse.
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:57 AM   #372
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

All is stretching it a bit far, but I haven't seen much redeemable in the Republican party since 1980.

John McCain seemed a decent enough person, but seemed reluctant to back up his opinions with actual Senate votes. George H W Bush seemed a honourable individual.

For the last forty years, the GOP have been the party of dismantling the welfare safety net, giving huge tax breaks to rich individuals and huge corporations and increasing wealth and income inequality. They have set about dismantling environmental and workers' protections, reversing the progress made on civil rights and removing and suppressing the right for the wrong sort of people to vote.

First the Republicans courted the religious fundamentalists, and incorporated their views into policy even though it ran against a lot of what "moderate" Republicans wanted. Then they embraced the Tea Party and finally they've thrown open their doors to the white supremacists and conspiracy theorists.

President Trump isn't an outlier in that trajectory.
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Also...to add to your response to dudalb, trying to couch criticism of Republican stance over the past 3 or maybe even four decades as "hating" all Republicans is pretty silly. Trump is a product of the malaise of the GOP that began way back when they began to validate the fringe evangelical and Tea Party voices.
The real danger is in thinking that he is the culmination. To treat Trump's rise in the GOP as an aberration is a grave mistake. If you go into denial and behave as if this was all a bad dream that has passes, rest assured, the next GOP candidate will probably be worse.
I have to agree with both of you. I've watched the GOP go steadily downhill for the last 40 years as it has become more and more extreme starting with its embracing of the Religious Right/ Moral Majority and the Tea Party.
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:18 AM   #373
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Oh, dear, poor McConnell: those fleas from the dogs he lay with finally got to biting him.
It's OK, the dumpster fire will make it uncomfortable for the fleas.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:57 AM   #374
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Somebody must be running a death-pool on those to blame for Trump's defeat. If I were the Jew in the pot I'd want to be a lot further away than Florida, frankly. Time to call in a favour or two from Bibi, and Kushner has raised a lot of money for Israeli settlements. He must like them in principle.
Principle is one thing. Slinging an Uzi across your back and walking point is quite another. The Kushner's are more the deluxe apartment in the Tel Aviv sky types.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 08:22 AM   #375
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
OMG she's Q!

Naa that's just Pizzagate.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:00 AM   #376
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What a wacko. She was also from Georgia like MTG. However, after going full CT crazy about 9/11 in 2001, she also lost the primary challenge in 2002 instead of being embraced by the Dems thereby proving my point. McKinney was re-elected in 2004. "However, contrary to traditional practice, the Democrats did not restore McKinney's seniority. Had she been able to regain her seniority, she would have been a senior Democrat on the International Relations and Armed Services committees, as well as ranking Democrat on an International Relations subcommittee."* Once again, the Dems showed their disapproval of her outlandish conspiracy theories with action.

*Wikipedia
Trump fanatic McKinney now "building bridges" with neo-Nazis. Uniting the base with the KKK.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:43 AM   #377
Reformed Offlian
Critical Thinker

It's pretty much been steadily downhill since the onset of the 'Southern Strategy.'

I grew up in a family of what were then known as Rockefeller Republicans, and cast my earliest votes in the belief that they still existed. They've been a **** party in general since at least the 80s.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:29 AM   #378
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

lindsey Graham "I rode down with her going to GA. Had a very pleasant experience. I want to hear from her. Before I want to judge what to do about her I want to know what the facts are. If these are not accurate postings they've been manipulated, I'd like to know that.

Reporter: She’s on video.

Graham "She’ll have to tell me is it accurate, I dunno, I haven’t seen the video, what’s accurate, what’s not. What position do you have today. And if your position is different today why?"

Vid in link
https://twitter.com/alanhe/status/1356665020554366978
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:03 PM   #379
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
lindsey Graham "I rode down with her going to GA. Had a very pleasant experience. I want to hear from her. Before I want to judge what to do about her I want to know what the facts are. If these are not accurate postings they've been manipulated, I'd like to know that.

Graham "She’ll have to tell me is it accurate, I dunno, I haven’t seen the video, what’s accurate, what’s not. What position do you have today. And if your position is different today why?"

Vid in link
"Froot Loop thinks serial nutcase is OK" shocker
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 03:04 PM   #380
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Coward performs cowardice. Nation shocked.
Old 2nd February 2021, 03:09 PM   #381
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Quote:
Oh, so you used to want to execute members of congress, but not anymore. Well, that settles that.
Old 2nd February 2021, 03:28 PM   #382
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Vid in link
The problem with Greene isn't her position, it's how she got there. "Jewish space lasers" and "staged school shootings" aren't reasonable opinions reasonably reached, and if she suddenly changes those opinions from one day to the next, the only reason would be the realization that they may not be politically expedient. Her position wouldn't actually change, and her methodology for arriving at one would still be the same- the only difference is that she would have learned to conceal the nuttiness for the sake of convenience.

And, BTW, Lindsey- if Greene says "yeah, those videos were manipulated," and you simply buy that for the sake of your party's convenience, then you're being manipulated; and you're buying for your party the methodology that is the problem to begin with.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 03:36 PM   #383
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
The problem with Greene isn't her position, it's how she got there. "Jewish space lasers" and "staged school shootings" aren't reasonable opinions reasonably reached, and if she suddenly changes those opinions from one day to the next, the only reason would be the realization that they may not be politically expedient. Her position wouldn't actually change, and her methodology for arriving at one would still be the same- the only difference is that she would have learned to conceal the nuttiness for the sake of convenience.

And, BTW, Lindsey- if Greene says "yeah, those videos were manipulated," and you simply buy that for the sake of your party's convenience, then you're being manipulated; and you're buying for your party the methodology that is the problem to begin with.
Lindsey is 100% about political expediency.
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:13 PM   #384
catsmate
No longer the 1

The Trumpers seem to being going all in on defending Green.
I am seeing "Trump/Green 2024" memes all over the place.
Excellent. Four more years of Biden and Harris then. Now for 2028?

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Am I still not allowed to say they're stupid?
As far as I am concerned, go right ahead. Anyone who actually believes that crap is indeed stupid. Anyone who pretends to believe in it to entice support from idiots is an immoral opportunist.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:13 PM   #385
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post

Lindsey: Do you still believe in Jewish space lasers and staged school shootings?

Marge: Of course not. Those were just some silly ideas from my youth. I now know that it is actually robot vampire child rapists in Satanic ping-pong pizza basements.

Lindsey: Well, OK then. As long as you no longer believe that crazy stuff.
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:14 PM   #386
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
How do the GOP reconcile this? Senators say an impeachment trial is unconstitutional because T**** is out of office. But the deplorables say he really won.
Cognitive dissonance
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:01 PM   #387
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Lindsey: Do you still believe in Jewish space lasers and staged school shootings?

Marge: Of course not. Those were just some silly ideas from my youth. I now know that it is actually robot vampire child rapists in Satanic ping-pong pizza basements.

Lindsey: Well, OK then. As long as you no longer believe that crazy stuff.
Can't help wondering what she thinks about gay people.
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:24 PM   #388
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Blinken just reversed the Trump policy that embassies can't fly the Pride flag a few days ago. Yesterday, Greene sponsored legislation to stop that, putting the Trump policy in to law. It prevents all other flags such as BLM flags too.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 06:12 PM   #389
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Blinken just reversed the Trump policy that embassies can't fly the Pride flag a few days ago. Yesterday, Greene sponsored legislation to stop that, putting the Trump policy in to law. It prevents all other flags such as BLM flags too.
Will her measure get enacted?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 06:19 PM   #390
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
In addition to not being able to discern reality, she clearly also can't count.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 06:46 PM   #391
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
For that matter, Jewish gay people from space.
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:00 PM   #392
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Nope. Just like the nonsense she filed to have Biden impeached won't go anywhere.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:01 PM   #393
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Let me see if I can muster up some shock............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................nope .
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:37 PM   #394
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
For that matter, Jewish gay people from space.
From a planet orbiting a pink Star of David?
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:48 PM   #395
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
In addition to not being able to discern reality, she clearly also can't count.
Thought so. If it wasn't MTG, I'd say it was political theatre. But it is MTG, so it is bat-**** crazy.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:49 PM   #396
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
From a planet orbiting a pink Star of David?
Slightly Jewish and madly gay?
Old 2nd February 2021, 08:29 PM   #397
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Slightly Jewish and madly gay?
I used to hook up with a naval lieutenant like that.
Old 2nd February 2021, 09:00 PM   #398
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

No. Why do you ask?
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:19 PM   #399
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
WWG1WGA!!
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Yeah, well, where I go 1 sometimes i also go 2
Because of course someone just had to make these.

(They are just Q bathroom rugs, but I'll spoiler it anyway.)
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:59 PM   #400
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
Because of course someone just had to make these.

(They are just Q bathroom rugs, but I'll spoiler it anyway.)
Why do I get the feeling that QAnoners would use those in a non-ironic way?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics