IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccine , vaccines

Old 1st March 2021, 11:28 AM   #961
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

A lot of people have a case, including supermarket check-out staff, other essential service providers, teachers (discussed separately) and so on. And although many supermarket check-out staff are young, many are not, and are more at risk than a policeman.

They're getting round everyone as fast as they can, based on a priority that's easy to follow. If the cops, unlike the supermarket staff, can't just go on being careful for a few more weeks, then maybe they should try.
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:58 PM   #962
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...-distribution/

Quote:
The biggest vaccination campaign in history is underway. More than 271 million doses have been administered across 108 countries, according to data collected by Bloomberg. The latest rate was roughly 6.36 million doses a day.

In the U.S., more Americans have now received at least one dose than have tested positive for the virus since the pandemic began. So far, 80.5 million doses have been given. In the last week, an average of 2.01 million doses per day were administered.
Vaccines Across America
Across the U.S., 24.3 doses have been administered for every 100 people, and 75% of the shots delivered to states have been administered.
Quote:
The Path to Immunity in the U.S.
In the U.S., the latest vaccination rate is 2,010,790 doses per day, on average. At this rate, it will take an estimated 6 months to cover 75% of the population with a two-dose vaccine.
So they've managed to reach 2 million doses per day, which seems pretty good. Hopefully they can push it even higher than that. In about 10 days we should pass 100 million doses.
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:04 PM   #963
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The police probably do have a case, at least for some of the front line personnel who have to deal with people who are not only defying social distancing regulations but actively threatening others by coughing or spitting at them. That said, I can still see that over all, doing it based on age may well be the simplest to manage.
Not only that but there have been outbreaks among prisoners and police interact with them all the time.

They've let teachers get vaccine now here in WA. It's annoying to hear a teacher say something like, it's about time we were appreciated.

I'm fine with them getting vaccine, but it annoys me when people don't recognize a lot of people should have priority and there isn't enough.

Fortunately in a couple months or less this will be a moot point.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:53 PM   #964
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
...And although many supermarket check-out staff are young, many are not, and are more at risk than a policeman. ...

... If the cops, unlike the supermarket staff, can't just go on being careful for a few more weeks, then maybe they should try.
What do you mean by "try to be more careful"?

I'm not sure your idea of a police person's job is anything like what the cops do here.

Cops have to respond to homeless shelters, drug treatment facilities, the jail (they have to book the prisoners and interact with them), and any number of other scenarios that are high risk. They transport people and sometimes there are bars but no screen between the front and back seats. Some of our cities have small municipal jails. Not very safe as far as airborne pathogens go.

Our supermarket folks have masks on and the customers have to wear masks (not every state gets this concept). There's now plexiglass between customers and the register at just about every shop here.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 04:33 AM   #965
Rolfe

Maybe you could point out where I said the words in quotation marks that you attributed to me?
Old 4th March 2021, 10:28 AM   #966
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

She's paraphrasing what she just quoted. Appears to be an accurate paraphrase unless you want to say "as careful" rather than "more".

Why not just clarify it if you don't like it since it's perfectly obvious she's asking about what she quoted?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 11:39 AM   #967
Rolfe

No, she has completely altered what I said to something I neither said nor meant. She also put it in quotation marks.
Old 4th March 2021, 11:53 AM   #968
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, she has completely altered what I said to something I neither said nor meant. She also put it in quotation marks.
Other than not saying I paraphrased it, (sorry, my bad), what is your specific issue here? Did you or did you not say police should be more careful in regards to COVID exposure?

"If the cops, unlike the supermarket staff, can't just go on being careful for a few more weeks,then maybe they should try."

Try what, pray tell? Please enlighten us as to the meaning of your sentence.

If they can't be careful maybe they should try?

If you misspoke, or didn't mean what you wrote, what did you mean?
Old 4th March 2021, 12:27 PM   #969
Rolfe

Yes, thank you, that's what I wrote. Everyone has been being as careful as they can be. The vaccines have arrived sooner than most people dared hope. Everyone can't be done immediately. Supermarket checkout staff aren't bleating about being done a couple of weeks earlier than their turn.

If the cops can't go on being careful like everyone else whose turn hasn't come yet, maybe they need to think about why they should in fact do that.

Nothing at all about being more careful, just about everybody being patient and continuing to do what they've been doing until their turn comes and not bleating about being a special case. Who knew we'd have a vaccine by the start of 2021 anyway.
Old 5th March 2021, 10:31 PM   #970
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Vaccine data from Israel. I've been following the news there since they are pretty far ahead of anyone else in terms of percentage of their population that has been vaccinated already:

COVID-19 vaccination: 73 cases of facial paralysis, 7 anaphylactic shock (Jerusalem Post)

Quote:
Serious symptoms of the vaccine include blurred vision, inflammation of the pulmonary pleura, inflammation of the heart, heart attack, or even liver damage.
The good news is that serious side effects seem to be relatively rare.

Quote:
Only 153 people (.0.0032%) out of more than 4.7 million who received a first shot of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine had any kind of serious side effects, according to a new report published by the Health Ministry.
Only 162 had serious side effects from the second dose out of 3.4 million.
The types of serious issues that people experienced ranged from blurred vision, inflammation of the pulmonary pleura (that allow optimal expansion and contraction of the lung during breathing), inflammation of the heart, heart attack or even liver damage.
Some 62 people were hospitalized after receiving their first dose; 75% of them had underlying medical conditions before getting the jab.
Forty-two people were hospitalized after the second shot.
Some 487 (first) and 250 (second) had neurological issues after getting inoculated: 474 people who experienced paresthesia (tingling, pricking, chilling, burning, numbness of the skin), 73 who had bellís palsy (facial paralysis), 23 convulsions, 28 metal taste in the mouth, 14 loss of consciousness, five transient cerebral ischemia (temporary stroke) and 59 others who had unidentified neurological issues.
In total, there were 9,595 people who reported side effects of the vaccines out of 4,755,585 people who received the first dose, and another 8,743 out of 3,408,825 who received the second dose.
So, the rate of serious side effects is some orders of magnitude lower than the case fatality rate for Covid. (My back-of the envelope calculation says something like 500 times lower; indicating that that it's about 500 times more risky to not get vaccinated if you have the opportunity. And that's also ignoring that most of these people didn't actually die. Death is presumably a worse outcome than any serious side effect short of death.)

So are they approaching herd immunity yet? (According to the latest data, over 40% of Israelis have been fully vaccinated (both doses) so far.)
The answer seems to be not quite yet:

Only 100,000 Israelis over 50 left to be vaccinated - new data

Quote:
The reproduction rate (R) has started to stabilize around the number one, worrying health officials who know that if the rate passes one infection will once again start to spread.
At the same time, despite warnings by the Coronavirus Knowledge and Information Center, there has not been any major outbreak.
The center warned in a Friday report that Israel could be on the verge of another outbreak, with the next stage of reliefs set to be rolled out on Sunday while around 5% of people tested per day have a positive result. Though it noted that even if the number of new cases increases, it is unlikely Israel will see a spike in serious cases due to vaccination.
According to Eran Segal, a computational biologist for the Weizmann Institute of Science, before vaccination, around 27% of new daily cases were 19 years or older and today around 47% of cases fall in that age range. In contrast, 25% of new cases were 50 years or older before the vaccines. Now, only 11% of new cases are in that age range.
So, at least the demographic data would seem to indicate that infections are at least falling among over-50s, the group that has mostly been vaccinated already, while it continues to spread among younger people, who are still waiting their turn. This seems to point to effectiveness of the vaccine, even though overall the numbers aren't falling as fast as you would like them to.

Meanwhile the government has decided to further ease restrictions, and has what they're calling a "green passport" system that allows people who have been fully vaccinated to eat in restaurants and such:

Coronavirus: Israel is opening on Sunday - here are the details

Quote:
The country is opening up further on Sunday, according to a decision by the government. This is the third stage of Israelís exit strategy.
While at first health officials were recommending slowing down Israelís opening given the reproduction rate (R) that has been holding around one, the government decided to move forward. As such, more children will return to school and additional commerce and recreation will be available to the public.
Entry into many of the new offerings are subject to a green passport, which can be obtained through the Health Ministry for anyone who has been fully vaccinated with two shots for at least a week. Children under the age of 16, who are not allowed to be vaccinated, will not be able to accompany their vaccinated parents.
Restaurants and cafes - Green passport holders will be able to sit indoors or outdoors, non-vaccinated people will be able to sit outside. Restaurants and cafes will operate according to the Purple Ribbon outline.
Hotels - Will now open beyond the rooms and provide a full range of activities for green passport holders
Event halls, attractions, conferences - Open to green passport holders
So this "green passport" idea would seem to provide an additional incentive to people who might be hesitant to get vaccinated. You will need one if you want to eat indoors at a restaurant, for example. In the future, maybe you would also need it to travel by airplane, in addition to a regular passport.
Old 5th March 2021, 10:55 PM   #971
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If the cops can't go on being careful like everyone else whose turn hasn't come yet, maybe they need to think about why they should in fact do that. ...
Here's what the problem is with your neat little explanation. Take out the word 'more' and it doesn't change what I said.

Originally Posted by Rolfe
If the cops, unlike the supermarket staff, can't just go on being careful for a few more weeks, then maybe they should try.
If they can't, maybe they should? What is that supposed to mean?

Originally Posted by SG
What do you mean by "try to be more careful"?
I went on to explain how their jobs are completely different than grocery clerks.

Originally Posted by SG
I'm not sure your idea of a police person's job is anything like what the cops do here.

Cops have to respond to homeless shelters, drug treatment facilities, the jail (they have to book the prisoners and interact with them), and any number of other scenarios that are high risk. They transport people and sometimes there are bars but no screen between the front and back seats. Some of our cities have small municipal jails. Not very safe as far as airborne pathogens go.

Our supermarket folks have masks on and the customers have to wear masks (not every state gets this concept). There's now plexiglass between customers and the register at just about every shop here.
Feel free to answer again with 'more' removed from my question: If they can't, maybe they should? What is that supposed to mean? Because the two occupations are not comparable. And I've said elsewhere cops and EMS should be right up there with healthcare workers.
Old 6th March 2021, 12:17 AM   #972
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

An interesting fact about the Israel data. If you measure both new cases and deaths since their peak then deaths have fallen a lot faster than new cases. I suggest this is due to the vaccine.
Old 6th March 2021, 01:25 AM   #973
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
An interesting fact about the Israel data. If you measure both new cases and deaths since their peak then deaths have fallen a lot faster than new cases. I suggest this is due to the vaccine.
Good point.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/israel/

New infections seem to have plateaued while deaths continue to fall. From 65/day on January 25th to 20/day on March 5th (7-day moving average). New cases peaked at 8,395/day on January 14th and were at 3,670 on March 5th (they plateaued around Feb. 19th).

Also, this graph shows the rate of hospitalizations broken down by age:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/i...alizations-age

The over 60 category has fallen faster than the under 60 group, and has almost reached the same level. The data only goes through the week of Feb. 22 though.
Old 6th March 2021, 06:18 AM   #974
Rolfe

We're perhaps seeing that in Scotland (and I think in England) now. We've got about a third of the population vaccinated with one dose (two-dose vaccination rate is still negligible, at about 2%) and the vaccinated people are overwhelmingly the over 60s, the demographic most likely to fall ill, be hospitalised and die. The virus is still circulating widely and we're still getting a lot of new infections (although these are falling due to the lockdown), but hospitalisations and deaths appear to be falling faster than some best-case scenarios.
Old 6th March 2021, 07:09 AM   #975
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The vaccinations are proceeding apace; over-55s can now book their jabs on the NHS website, in England at least.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 07:47 AM   #976
Rolfe

I'm not sure how it's being done here, though I know groups under 60 are now being included. I don't know anything about booking, so far everyone I know has simply received a phone call from their GP and been told when and where to show up. Rural residents have been done in their doctor's surgery, urban in a centre set up in a public building. Housbound or shielding people have been done in their own homes by the district nurse. I don't think they'll go on doing it that way with younger groups though.

Last edited by Rolfe; 6th March 2021 at 07:48 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 08:25 AM   #977
Kestrel
Philosopher

The vaccination priority system in Colorado started with medical staff working directly with COVID patients and residents of long term card facilities. Death rates and hospitalization rates started dropping soon afterwards. As of yesterday vaccinations are available for anyone 60 or over plus those over 15 with two or more listed medical conditions. Essential workers in food production or grocery stores are also eligible.

Members of the state legislature and staff were given priority because they have to work with members who refuse to wear masks. Local government officials can now get vaccinated for the same reason.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 03:02 PM   #978
Rolfe

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The vaccination priority system in Colorado started with medical staff working directly with COVID patients and residents of long term card facilities. Death rates and hospitalization rates started dropping soon afterwards. As of yesterday vaccinations are available for anyone 60 or over plus those over 15 with two or more listed medical conditions. Essential workers in food production or grocery stores are also eligible.

Members of the state legislature and staff were given priority because they have to work with members who refuse to wear masks. Local government officials can now get vaccinated for the same reason.

I would certainly put workers in food production/meat packing facilities and grocery store workers higher than police if I was prioritising by occupation. And teachers.

But I also see the logic of doing the groups mainly by age with medical history also taken into account, because the health authorities have all the info they need to do this, and just trying to get through everyone as fast as you can. Special interest groups whining "I should get to jump the queue" when in fact it's a bloody miracle that anyone at all is being vaccinated this soon, are not convincing.
Old 6th March 2021, 05:49 PM   #979
Kestrel
Philosopher

I would certainly put workers in food production/meat packing facilities and grocery store workers higher than police if I was prioritising by occupation. And teachers.

But I also see the logic of doing the groups mainly by age with medical history also taken into account, because the health authorities have all the info they need to do this, and just trying to get through everyone as fast as you can. Special interest groups whining "I should get to jump the queue" when in fact it's a bloody miracle that anyone at all is being vaccinated this soon, are not convincing.
Nations with socialized medicine can easily find people with certain health conditions. In the United States medical records are kept privately by each health care provider. These are seldom available when anyone other than your normal doctor is treating you. A few vaccine sites are asking for notes from your doctor but in general Coloradoís vaccine priority for health conditions is based on self certification.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 07:14 PM   #980
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
A few vaccine sites are asking for notes from your doctor but in general Colorado’s vaccine priority for health conditions is based on self certification.

That seems to be generally the case. If you show up claiming to have one of what is often a long list of qualifying conditions, some of which don't require regular treatment, they don't ask you to prove it. The paperwork and bureaucracy would be overwhelming, and might prevent people who most need shots from getting them.
Quote:
Southwest Virginia has been vaccinating people with high-risk conditions for several days. In both states, you don't need any documentation of your condition.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ne/ar-BB1edlJ3
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 07:20 PM   #981
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Should we be surprised that there seems to be a developing black market in covid vaccines?
Quote:
As cities and states struggle to vaccinate long waitlists of people in a timely manner, some seeking protection against the novel coronavirus are turning to dubious online marketplaces.

As many as 30% of these black market offerings might be legitimate, culled from leftover stock, according to a report published March 4 by the cybersecurity firm Kaspersky
https://www.businessinsider.in/scien...w/81358423.cms
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 03:01 AM   #982
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Should we be surprised that there seems to be a developing black market in covid vaccines?

https://www.businessinsider.in/scien...w/81358423.cms
Fake vaccines or real vaccines damaged by overexposure to heat/movement - so likely useless in either case. Might we consider anyone who "jumped the queue" this way and later caught the virus to have got their just desserts?

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 08:24 AM   #983
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Fake vaccines or real vaccines damaged by overexposure to heat/movement - so likely useless in either case. Might we consider anyone who "jumped the queue" this way and later caught the virus to have got their just desserts?
Sure. But jumping the queue usually means getting a legitimate vaccine ahead of the more deserving. An actual underground black market is something else.
Old 7th March 2021, 08:37 AM   #984
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Sure. But jumping the queue usually means getting a legitimate vaccine ahead of the more deserving. An actual underground black market is something else.
Fair point.

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2021, 12:01 PM   #985
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

This is... not good.

A new outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared at the Cottonwoods Care Centre in B.C.'s Interior Health region where staff and residents had already received vaccines... some of the cases were among people who had received two doses of the vaccine.

Not exactly a reason to panic, and I don't think it means that the vaccines are ineffective. (The article does point out that the illnesses are milder than expected.) Still, when you hear of outbreaks among people who have been vaccinated, the anti-vax brigade will do its best to play it up.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2021, 02:09 PM   #986
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
This is... not good.

A new outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared at the Cottonwoods Care Centre in B.C.'s Interior Health region where staff and residents had already received vaccines... some of the cases were among people who had received two doses of the vaccine.

Not exactly a reason to panic, and I don't think it means that the vaccines are ineffective. (The article does point out that the illnesses are milder than expected.) Still, when you hear of outbreaks among people who have been vaccinated, the anti-vax brigade will do its best to play it up.
Not unexpected. Be wary of how the news media hypes this stuff.

It was already known that some people were going to get infected but the vast majority would not end up in the hospital or dead.

And elderly people simply don't respond as well to vaccines so one would expect to see things like this in a 'care' home.

From your link:
Quote:
The illness seems to be milder and doesn't transmit as much,' Dr. Bonnie Henry says.
Old 9th March 2021, 02:18 PM   #987
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

This is... not good.

It takes vaccines time to ramp up. Also, the article mentioned positive test results and mild illness, but no deaths. That's encouraging.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2021, 06:02 PM   #988
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Hey NZ has vaccines!

Should be due for me by May, being in the right geographical zone.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...be-prioritised

All the Pfizer jab, which looks good so far.

Expect tourism to open in time for next southern summer!
Old 9th March 2021, 06:10 PM   #989
angrysoba
Philosophile

This is... not good.

Elderly people may also simply have a lower immune response as well. Besides, the point of the vaccines is to reduce serious cases and deaths. If that happens the vaccines work.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2021, 07:33 PM   #990
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Elderly people may also simply have a lower immune response as well. Besides, the point of the vaccines is to reduce serious cases and deaths. If that happens the vaccines work.
One of the points.
Old 10th March 2021, 12:46 AM   #991
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
One of the points.
Yes. Another point is to stop the spread. If the vaccine does not do this then the world is still in trouble. Maybe even worse. Covid 19 will then start to kill non-vaccinated people.

Maybe that is a good thing?
Old 10th March 2021, 02:48 AM   #992
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. Another point is to stop the spread. If the vaccine does not do this then the world is still in trouble. Maybe even worse. Covid 19 will then start to kill non-vaccinated people.

Maybe that is a good thing?
Not a good thing. Even if everyone is willing, it could take years to vaccinate everyone in less developed countries. And we still don't really know whether the immunity will be enduring. I think it may be for the original strain, but new variants could make it necessary to re-vaccinate people who have already had the first generation of vaccines.
Old 10th March 2021, 04:45 AM   #993
Rolfe

Obviously the way the vaccine has been rolled out initially, priority has been given to reducting morbidity and mortality. That's why the elderly and the vulnerable have been prioritised, even though the virus is mainly spread by younger people. However that's not "the point" of a vaccination campaign.

The point of vaccination is not to enable vaccinated individuals to go out safely into a society which is existing constantly in a miasma of virus particles. If that were so, even vaccinated people should think twice about going out, because there are always some people in whom the vaccine doesn't "take", and how do you know that's not you?

The wider point of vaccination is to reduce and eliminate community transmission of the virus. Only when that is achieved will it be genuinely safe to go out. The lack of understanding of this among people who really should know better is regrettable. Politicians can pontificate about zero covid being unrealistic and unattainable all they like, but they're going to have to face the reality that it's the only way to deal with this thing, sooner or later.

We're still in the early stages of the vaccination campaign. Even though a third of the population has had at least one dose, most of these people are the very ones who are staying in, the elderly and the vulnerable. Vaccination rates among young people who are going out to work and mixing in other ways are much lower, probably close to zero. So community transmission is still happening and the only thing that's stopping it at the moment is the lockdown.

That will change, however, as we get through the summer and significant numbers of young, healthy, economically active people receive the vaccine. I don't think anybody knows yet how well that will curb community transmission and what (if any) restrictions might still have to be in place at that point. Or indeed, if everyone is going to need a booster vaccination to cope with a mutated strain.

We're on the right track and by this time next year we really ought to be there, but it's uncharted territory.
Old 10th March 2021, 09:10 AM   #994
Garrison
Philosopher

I'm not sure how it's being done here, though I know groups under 60 are now being included. I don't know anything about booking, so far everyone I know has simply received a phone call from their GP and been told when and where to show up. Rural residents have been done in their doctor's surgery, urban in a centre set up in a public building. Housbound or shielding people have been done in their own homes by the district nurse. I don't think they'll go on doing it that way with younger groups though.
I come under the 55+ group and got an NHS letter advising me to book my appointment a day or two after they announced that age group was eligible. Had details of the website and a reminder of my NHS number. I logged on and booked appointments for both doses, only drama was I picked what was the last slot at my preferred site on a particular day and someone else completed their request before I did so I had to pick a different day. I'm getting the impression that if you are in an at risk group, asthmatic for example, you'll get contacted through you doctor's surgery but for general age groups you'll probably get an NHS notification.
Old 10th March 2021, 01:08 PM   #995
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is... not good.

A new outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared at the Cottonwoods Care Centre in B.C.'s Interior Health region where staff and residents had already received vaccines...

It was already known that some people were going to get infected but the vast majority would not end up in the hospital or dead.

And elderly people simply don't respond as well to vaccines so one would expect to see things like this in a 'care' home.
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
It takes vaccines time to ramp up. Also, the article mentioned positive test results and mild illness, but no deaths. That's encouraging.
Yes, I recognize that a few cases of Covid (especially among the elderly) do not mean that the vaccine is ineffective.

My main concern is how the anti-vaxxers will react. (After all, how often do we see them claim "Last time I got the flu shot I came down with the flu") If you look at the comments section in the posted article you will already see talk of "big pharma" and "useless vaccines".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2021, 02:26 PM   #996
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Not a good thing. Even if everyone is willing, it could take years to vaccinate everyone in less developed countries. And we still don't really know whether the immunity will be enduring. I think it may be for the original strain, but new variants could make it necessary to re-vaccinate people who have already had the first generation of vaccines.
Even natural immunity is pretty long lasting. (Lower bound is currently 6 months, but based on SARS 1 data, it is likely good for several years)
Source: Adaptive immunity to SARS-CoV2 and Covid-19, Cell 184, February 18, 2021
British variant is nonissue, SA and Brazil might be more problematic, but so far evidence is, that Moderna and Nbiotech/Pfizer are pretty good against them. (IIRC mainly tested In vitro)

Anyway, I strongly recommend reading that review I mentioned. It has tons of interesting info:
https://www.cell.com/cell/pdfExtende...674(21)00007-6

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2021, 06:15 PM   #997
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Japan sees high rate of anaphylaxis after taking Pfizer vaccine

Quote:
The health ministry later said an additional eight cases of anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially fatal allergic reaction, were reported, bringing the total to 25 among around 148,000 health care workers who have been inoculated as of Wednesday.

Among those who suffered anaphylaxis, 24 were women. The first male case was reported the same day.

The rate compares with five cases in every 1 million doses administered in the United States and 20 cases per million in Britain, although Japan is further behind in its vaccine rollout and it could change as more people receive shots.
Is that typical or a statistical fluke I wonder? 24/25 cases of anaphylaxis were in women. Maybe there were more women than men vaccinated but probably not to that extent.
Old 10th March 2021, 06:21 PM   #998
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Is that typical or a statistical fluke I wonder? 24/25 cases of anaphylaxis were in women. Maybe there were more women than men vaccinated but probably not to that extent.
I doubt it's a statistical fluke but we might want to consider a genetic influence and not the vaccine alone. The other reactions were with Moderna and they were delayed reactions as far as I could find. I'd love to see the totals now since so many more vaccine doses have been given.

Are they reporting anything there about these medical staff being all of Japanese descent or not?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th March 2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10th March 2021, 08:13 PM   #999
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

We've had three in Australia so far. All well-managed and without lasting harm.
Old 11th March 2021, 01:06 AM   #1000
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I doubt it's a statistical fluke but we might want to consider a genetic influence and not the vaccine alone. The other reactions were with Moderna and they were delayed reactions as far as I could find. I'd love to see the totals now since so many more vaccine doses have been given.

Are they reporting anything there about these medical staff being all of Japanese descent or not?
No, but that's pretty much a given in Japan. Maybe a few Zainichi Koreans or Chinese in there too, but the vast majority of them will be Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan
Quote:
According to census statistics in 2018, 97.8% of the population of Japan are Japanese, with the remainder being foreign nationals residing in Japan.[1]

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology