IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 2nd March 2021, 06:13 PM   #801
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The governor of South Dakota spoke at CPAC. SD had some of the highest death numbers and case counts in the country. She proclaimed the state had managed COVID very well because the hospitals never filled completely up.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:24 PM   #802
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In the New Yorker article I linked a few days ago, the writer interviewed at length a local alderman in Minot, ND who voted against a mask mandate. The New Yorker writers usually have a long lead time to prepare the article and they can really get to know the people they're interviewing. That was the case with the writer and the alderman.

Within days of voting against the mask mandate the alderman was sick with Covid-19. He's a man in his 50s and, though he was never hospitalized, he said he got very sick and that it was very frightening. He also infected the rest of his family. He spoke with the writer after recovering and the alderman was in a reflective mood. This is the part that really hit me.

The alderman tried to explain why he was against wearing face masks. He emphasized, he wouldn't want anyone to get sick the way he was. He mentioned losing a lifelong friend to Covid-19. Then he got emotional. He explained, all he wanted was things to get back to normal. He wants that so bad. Why can't that happen? Apparently he teared up as he explained this. Then he talked about the mom-and-pop stores, how will they survive this? Get back to normal, he said that several times. That was all he wanted.

This is the problem. There's a pandemic. Pretending everything is fine is not a solution. Imagine where we'd be if none of the public health measures -- shutdowns, face masks, social distancing, capacity limits -- imagine what would have happened if we'd instead followed this insane idea of letting the virus run rampant in order to attain 'herd immunity.'

Some of these places where they have relaxed restrictions, businesses still don't recover because people won't go. Not in anywhere near the normal numbers. Like the trump fan in my neighborhood who erupted in anger when New York State asked people before Thanksgiving to limit holiday gatherings. This guy said they could go eff themselves. "As of right now," he bellowed, "I'm inviting about thirty family members and friends to my house for a freaking Thanksgiving feast!" He said Mayor de Blasio could kiss off.

Nobody showed up.
The denialism makes sense if you consider that the American ideology is generally one of "rugged individualism". The idea of collective sacrifice and cooperation towards a common goal is wholly alien, which is exactly what a situation like this calls for. The pandemic is exactly the kind of situation that bewilders such an ideologue, because an individual's actions really don't matter unless they are in concert with other members of their community.

Even our supposed liberal party struggles to imagine any other way of existence, and our tepid response to covid is miserly in comparison to any of our peer nations. Our country reflexively rejects the idea that people in need would just receive assistance, no strings attached, and that this might be paid for by those who have plenty. It rejects the notion that anything actually ought to be done to prevent people from sliding into poverty, because poverty is what happens to the weak and immoral. Our puritanical instincts run deep.

If the kind of collective action necessary to meaningfully respond to a pandemic is simply beyond imagination, then such fatalism towards the problem is understandable.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 2nd March 2021 at 06:25 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:02 PM   #803
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 09:49 PM   #804
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The denialism makes sense if you consider that the American ideology is generally one of "rugged individualism".
Quibble - That's a line that the right has been selling for a long time that's rather questionable at best, but has, with their efforts, become a cultural thing that self-propagates, especially on the right.

The idea of collective sacrifice and cooperation towards a common goal is wholly alien, which is exactly what a situation like this calls for.
Going by the evidence, this isn't even remotely true. There are far too many who just don't get it or simply don't want to get it, definitely, but the premise that collective sacrifice and cooperation towards a common goal is wholly alien to American ideology is simply wrong. It's probably also worth noting that the media tends to greatly amplify the voices of the fewer who don't want to get it for multiple reasons, which then tends to end up building support for them.
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:42 AM   #805
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Are you calling the talcum powder lawsuits a conspiracy, or that you haven't heard of it? They had verdicts against them.
What do they have to do with the vaccine?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 05:53 AM   #806
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What do they have to do with the vaccine?
The company has demonstrated poor quality and behavior.

Your question is like if Trump started a car company, someone was wary because of trump U, and you asked what does education have to do with auto manufacturing.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:49 AM   #807
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The company has demonstrated poor quality and behavior.
How exactly?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:56 AM   #808
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
How exactly?
By (allegedly, sorta) giving women ovarian cancer.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:33 AM   #809
zorro99
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Texas lifts mask mandate.

Pure politics.
Great, no need to send vaccines to Texas since it no longer has a virus problem. In fact, no need for hand washing, bathing, teeth brushing, butt wiping...
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:40 AM   #810
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Ronna McDaniel tweets

@GOPChairwoman
President Trump put Operation Warp Speed in motion, developing a vaccine in record time.

By contrast, Joe Biden spent months sowing doubt about the vaccine during the campaign, and now is trying to rewrite history.
Note the presence of the title preceding Trump’s name and the corresponding absence of one before Biden’s.

Note also the absence of a brain cell within McDaniel’s skull.
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:47 PM   #811
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Note the presence of the title preceding Trump’s name and the corresponding absence of one before Biden’s.

Note also the absence of a brain cell within McDaniel’s skull.
Talk about rewriting history, since when did Biden spend "months sowing doubt about the vaccine during the campaign"?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:59 PM   #812
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:15 PM   #813
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Great, no need to send vaccines to Texas since it no longer has a virus problem. In fact, no need for hand washing, bathing, teeth brushing, butt wiping...

My truck driver friend says he can feel his IQ lowering every time he nears Texas.
Old 4th March 2021, 09:16 AM   #814
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tate Reeves Governor of Mississippi tweets

@tatereeves
President Biden said allowing Mississippians to decide how to protect themselves is “neanderthal thinking.”

Mississippians don’t need handlers. As numbers drop, they can assess their choices and listen to experts. I guess I just think we should trust Americans, not insult them.

I will be on Fox News Prime Time with @LawrenceBJones3 shortly to talk about our executive order ending mask mandates and ensuring businesses can operate without restriction. It’s justified by the data, and no insults from the President will stop us from leaning towards freedom.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 10:20 AM   #815
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the GOP asshats recommend people to stop taking their cholesterol pills and controlling diets once cholesterol numbers are good.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 10:24 AM   #816
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wonder if the GOP asshats recommend people to stop taking their cholesterol pills and controlling diets once cholesterol numbers are good.
Covid numbers never even got good. Infection rates and deaths are still very bad across the country.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:25 AM   #817
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Covid numbers never even got good. Infection rates and deaths are still very bad across the country.
That is a good point. It's more like "I have high cholesterol but haven't had a heart attack, so I don't need no medication or to change anything."
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 02:07 PM   #818
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Tate Reeves Governor of Mississippi tweets

Quote:
@tatereeves
President Biden said allowing Mississippians to decide how to protect themselves is “neanderthal thinking.”

Mississippians don’t need handlers. As numbers drop, they can assess their choices and listen to experts. I guess I just think we should trust Americans, not insult them.

I will be on Fox News Prime Time with @LawrenceBJones3 shortly to talk about our executive order ending mask mandates and ensuring businesses can operate without restriction. It’s justified by the data, and no insults from the President will stop us from leaning towards freedom.

Boy, he's one to talk. Mississippi's infection rate is 99,348/million with deaths at 2,266/million, which is #5 overall in the nation! This compares unfavourably to the USA as a whole with infection rate of 88,643/million and a fatality rate of 1,600/million.

The blindness of some US politicians never fails to amaze me.

Meanwhile, here in Canada our worst hit province is Quebec. Its infection rate is 33,777/million with a fatality rate of 1,215/million. (Canada overall has 23,041 cases/million and 692 deaths/million.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 03:07 PM   #819
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That is a good point. It's more like "I have high cholesterol but haven't had a heart attack, so I don't need no medication or to change anything."
I'd be tempted to say that this is more akin to already repeatedly having heart attacks and then saying that because they're not dead yet, no medication or change is needed.
Old 4th March 2021, 06:35 PM   #820
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 4th March 2021, 10:50 PM   #821
Blue Mountain

Here's my more-or-less monthly post comparing the US response to Canada.

As of the end of February, differences in the American response compared with Canada's have resulted in an estimated 315,600 excess American deaths.

The population of the United States is 8.75 times that of Canada. Based on population alone, all other things being equal, one can expect the number of deaths from COVID-19 to be 8.75 times that of Canada.

One thing that is decidedly not equal is the extreme outlying numbers in New York State, currently at 2,435 deaths per million population. There's nothing comparable to it in Canada; the worst hit province is Quebec, and their death rate half that of New York's at 1,218/million. Therefore, in the following table I attempt to even out the numbers by subtracting out New York State's population and deaths, then applying the resulting deaths/million to the entire US population.

US population
million
Less: population of New York State
million
Adjusted population
million
Total US deaths to 28 February
worldometer.com (1,582/million)
Less: deaths in New York State
worldometer.com (2,345/million)
Adjusted death count
(=525,766 - 47,372)
Adjusted deaths/adjusted million population
(=478,394 ÷ 321.856)
Adjusted total deaths
(=1,529 × 332.310)
Population of Canada
million
Deaths in Canada to 28 February
canada.ca/coronavirus (528/million)
Expected US deaths based on Canada:US ratio
(=21,904 × 8.75 [Canada:US population ratio])
Excess US fatalities compared to Canada
(=508,141 - 192,515)

Based on this analysis, there are more than 315,600 excess deaths compared to Canada after evening out the numbers from New York State. In my opinion, a huge number of these are due to the inept response of the Trump administration. Another factor was the push by Trump to get the economy going again in hopes of boosting his re-election chances, and governors willing to follow that advice. And some of it is due to the tendency of Americans to distrust their government.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 08:08 AM   #822
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Haven't seen any postings about this yet...

Florida’s highest-ranking elected Democrat is calling on the FBI to investigate allegations that Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has used the state’s coronavirus vaccination initiative to direct vaccines to select communities in exchange for political contributions....nearly all residents 65 and older in a wealthy enclave of Key Largo had been vaccinated for COVID-19 in January, even as many of Florida’s most vulnerable residents scrambled to find available vaccines. All of the Key Largo residents who have donated to DeSantis’s political committee live in that specific enclave...

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 09:13 AM   #823
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

My sister lives near Chicago and just turned 65, becoming eligible for the vaccine. She wanted it right away, but there were distribution issues. She travels to the downstate areas a lot because my mom lives downstate. So, she made an appointment downstate, where it was easy to get. The doctors explained that yes, they have an overabundance of vaccine because it was distributed by population, but in Trump country, fewer people were asking for it.
Old 5th March 2021, 09:18 AM   #824
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post

As of the end of February, differences in the American response compared with Canada's have resulted in an estimated 315,600 excess American deaths.

The population of the United States is 8.75 times that of Canada. Based on population alone, all other things being equal, one can expect the number of deaths from COVID-19 to be 8.75 times that of Canada.

One thing that is decidedly not equal is the extreme outlying numbers in New York State, currently at 2,435 deaths per million population. There's nothing comparable to it in Canada; the worst hit province is Quebec, and their death rate half that of New York's at 1,218/million. Therefore, in the following table I attempt to even out the numbers by subtracting out New York State's population and deaths, then applying the resulting deaths/million to the entire US population.

US population
million
million
Adjusted population
million
Adjusted death count
(=525,766 - 47,372)
(=478,394 ÷ 321.856)
Adjusted total deaths
(=1,529 × 332.310)
Population of Canada
million
(=508,141 - 192,515)

Based on this analysis, there are more than 315,600 excess deaths compared to Canada after evening out the numbers from New York State. In my opinion, a huge number of these are due to the inept response of the Trump administration. Another factor was the push by Trump to get the economy going again in hopes of boosting his re-election chances, and governors willing to follow that advice. And some of it is due to the tendency of Americans to distrust their government.
I just want to add that you are being extremely generous by throwing out 6% of the US population.
Old 5th March 2021, 09:44 AM   #825
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post

US population
million
million
Adjusted population
million
Adjusted death count
(=525,766 - 47,372)
(=478,394 ÷ 321.856)
Adjusted total deaths
(=1,529 × 332.310)
Population of Canada
million
(=508,141 - 192,515)

Your tables seems to have a number of transposed and mistyped digits. Could you check it over. Thanks.
Old 5th March 2021, 07:12 PM   #826
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 6th March 2021, 07:13 AM   #827
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Your tables seems to have a number of transposed and mistyped digits. Could you check it over. Thanks.
Make it easier...

Canda deaths per 1 mil...585
USA 1618

1-(585/1618)=63% preventable.
Old 6th March 2021, 06:32 PM   #828
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 6th March 2021, 09:00 PM   #829
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
You're right, there were several errors in the table. Here's the corrected version.
US population
million
million
Adjusted population
million
worldometer.com (2,435/million)
Adjusted death count
(=525,766 - 47,372)
(=478,394 ÷ 312.856)
Adjusted total deaths
(=1,529 × 332.310)
Population of Canada
million
canada.ca/coronavirus (579/million)
(=21,994 × 8.75 [Canada:US population ratio])
(=508,141 - 192,515)

I also did some work with gnuplot to chart the US and Canada responses. In the chart below, infections are plotted on the left-hand Y axis and deaths on the right (1/10 scale of the left.) The top range for deaths has been tweaked so that the graph values appear visually as being less than the infections, as is the case in the real world, but scaled differently so they can be seen instead of hugging a very thin line along the bottom.

The Canadian numbers have been multiplied by 8.75 to make them proportional to the States. Therefore, the Canadian lines show what could have happened in the States if they had a responsible government and a little less ruggedly individualistic culture.

(The image quality isn't the best because the forum software allows a maximum size of only 800 pixels. I refuse to use an image hosting service due to the risk the image may become unavailable if the service goes offline. If anyone knows of a better way to point to a large image while still keeping the URL at internationlskeptics.org, please let me know.)
Old 7th March 2021, 10:28 AM   #830
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lauren Boebert tweets

@laurenboebert
While other governors are liberating their people and removing mask mandates, Colorado’s governor just extended our mask mandate yet another 30 days.

When we cede our freedoms to power-hungry politicians, it’s nearly impossible to get them back.
Old 7th March 2021, 11:48 AM   #831
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Lauren Boebert is a "gun-loving, conspiracy-theory-spouting congresswoman from Western Colorado." Why during a pandemic would anyone think mandating face masks in public is a serious freedom issue? I have to wear a mask when I go out -- it's mandatory at work -- and I don't enjoy it either. But I totally understand why it has been deemed necessary. Is it uncomfortable, yes. Do I feel my Constitutional rights are being violated by having to wear it, no. Why would I? It's just a face mask.

Meanwhile, Dr. Anthony Fauci is urging Americans not to let down their guard just yet.
Quote:
"We are starting to plateau," said Fauci during a briefing by the White House COVID response team on Thursday. "That plateau is about 60 to 70,000 cases a day. When you have that much viral activity in a plateau, it almost invariably means that you are at risk for another spike." He added: "Many countries in Europe have seen just that. They had a decrease in cases over a six-week period. They plateaued. And now over the past week, they saw an increase in cases by 9%, something we desperately want to avoid." Link to MSN report
Meanwhile, Boebert says she carries a handgun on her hip at all times in order to "protect my family." A fellow Colorado congress member calls her a "fool."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lauren Boebert.jpg (127.4 KB, 18 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 07:05 PM   #832
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

"We are starting to plateau," said Fauci last week. The problem is we're plateauing at a very high level. Around 65,000 new cases per day. That matches the high of mid-Summer which, at the time, everyone thought was terrible. That was as bad as it got until late October, when new case numbers began rising to levels twice as high as even Dr. Fauci had warned of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US New cases 03042020.jpg (43.0 KB, 9 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 07:06 PM   #833
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 8th March 2021, 01:45 AM   #834
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
"We are starting to plateau," said Fauci last week. The problem is we're plateauing at a very high level. Around 65,000 new cases per day. That matches the high of mid-Summer which, at the time, everyone thought was terrible. That was as bad as it got until late October, when new case numbers began rising to levels twice as high as even Dr. Fauci had warned of.

And it is very likely that another surge is on the way, aided and abetted by the all the dumb-as-a-breeze-block republican State governors who are dropping mask mandates and allowing businesses to open up to full capacity.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/08/h...Most+Recent%29

If that happens, then its going to be a footrace between the climb in the death rate from Covid-19, and the level of vaccination.

I predict that, before this is over, the death toll in the US will get very close to ¾ of a million, and may even exceed it.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th March 2021 at 01:49 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 01:53 AM   #835
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And it is very likely that another surge is on the way, aided and abetted by the all the dumb-as-a-breeze-block republican State governors who are dropping mask mandates and allowing businesses to open up to full capacity.

If that happens, then its going to be a footrace between the climb in the death rate from Covid-19, and the level of vaccination.

I predict that, before this is over, the death toll in the US will get very close to ¾ of a million, and may even exceed it.
.....and unfortunately Joe Biden will be blamed for the surge by many on both the hard (by US standards) left and by the entire right wing media machine.

edited to add......

With an R0 of between 3 and 4, between 67% and 75% of the population needs to be immune before herd immunity is achieved. Given that the vaccination is 90%+ effective that means that it may require well over 80% of people to be vaccinated before herd immunity is achieved.

Given the large minority who are opposed to vaccination, I'm not sure that the US will ever get there.

Last edited by The Don; 8th March 2021 at 01:55 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 06:00 AM   #836
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
.....and unfortunately Joe Biden will be blamed for the surge by many on both the hard (by US standards) left and by the entire right wing media machine.

edited to add......

With an R0 of between 3 and 4, between 67% and 75% of the population needs to be immune before herd immunity is achieved. Given that the vaccination is 90%+ effective that means that it may require well over 80% of people to be vaccinated before herd immunity is achieved.

Given the large minority who are opposed to vaccination, I'm not sure that the US will ever get there.
Last I heard Fauci said %70-85 need to be immune. There is still a lot of guessing going on (which is probably to be expected).
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 06:01 AM   #837
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Hey, if masks work, Rep. Chaplik asks, why didn't we wear them to stop AIDS?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ds/6921665002/
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 06:44 AM   #838
dirtywick
Illuminator

you wear the mask on your dick for that
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 10:37 AM   #839
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Hey, if masks work, Rep. Chaplik asks, why didn't we wear them to stop AIDS?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ds/6921665002/
Does he know it's called a condom?

I don't want to click on it.

Dirtywick put it more succinctly.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th March 2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 8th March 2021, 10:51 AM   #840
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This idiot refusing to wear a mask in a Trader Joes in TX embodies the usual thinking these guys have justifying they're 'freedom'.

Instagram: crazykarens2 - Make Karen Harassing Trader Joe’s Workers

Quote:
This guy was upset over Trader Joe’s mask policy and them refusing him at the door so he decided to barge in and do his shopping anyway with his young daughters.
It's his "civil right" because the store is a public place to shop, he's teaching his children to stand up for their rights, he asks other people to join him, he thinks Abbott saying there was no mandate gave him the right to ignore store policy, keeping him out of the store was "holding him hostage", he rambles something about the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, he admits he came there on purpose to challenge the law including bringing his kids, "we have children and the damage to them to think they have to wear a mask", he tells the nice store clerk "we have to stand up for each other' ...

Those poor kids and store personnel. The more they pissed him off the louder his shouting got meaning the guy put people at even more risk.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics