IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 21st December 2020, 10:01 PM   #161
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I've never met a Muslim that ate pork to my knowledge, or one that claimed to eat pork. It's a central part of their religion to stay away from pork.

I think it would be far more likely to find Muslims with an aversion to pork rather than an acceptance of it. I personally have not branded anyone Muslim to be central or extreme regarding pork consumption. I was only referring to what their religion teaches about it being forbidden for a specific reason.

The terrible part is that whoever made the vaccine did not take this into account when they should have.
I guess they had better not eat the vaccine, then.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:07 PM   #162
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I've never met a Muslim that ate pork to my knowledge, or one that claimed to eat pork. It's a central part of their religion to stay away from pork.

I think it would be far more likely to find Muslims with an aversion to pork rather than an acceptance of it. I personally have not branded anyone Muslim to be central or extreme regarding pork consumption. I was only referring to what their religion teaches about it being forbidden for a specific reason.

The terrible part is that whoever made the vaccine did not take this into account when they should have.

I'm guessing that you didn't bother to read the article which the cited link connected to. It went into these issues in some depth.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:08 PM   #163
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Kayleigh McEnany tweets
@kayleighmcenany

Before the election...

Biden was a vaccine denier

Kamala was a vaccine denier

Pelosi denied the American People COVID relief

Now...

Biden & Harris take Trump Vaccine

Pelosi finally agrees to COVID relief

BLATANT POLITICS at your expense!!
That's facepunch-worthy.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Both Muslim and Jewish religious authorities have come out with statements affirming the propriety of taking vaccines which contain gelatin made from pork products. Not just this time around, but for many years in the past.

So it isn't a generic "Muslims actually believe". They have their fundi, wing-nut, neolithic wackos just like Christians do. You shouldn't tar then all with the same brush any more than you should assume that all Christians are like fundi, wing-nut Southern Baptists.
Wait... you're trying to tell us that not all Christians are of the Westboro Baptist variety? *gasps* I'm so shocked!
Old 21st December 2020, 10:20 PM   #164
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I'm guessing that you didn't bother to read the article which the cited link connected to. It went into these issues in some depth.
It's perfectly fine to guess, even if your wrong.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:22 PM   #165
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I guess they had better not eat the vaccine, then.
Kinda difficult to not touch something once its been injected into your body.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 10:26 PM   #166
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I'm... just going to poke back at post #123.

Quran -

Quote:
The only things which are made unlawful for you are the flesh of dead animals, blood, pork and that which is not consecrated with the Name of God. But in an emergency, without the intention of transgression and rebellion, (it is not an offense for one to consume such things). God is certainly All-forgiving and All-merciful.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:39 PM   #167
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I'm... just going to poke back at post #123.

Quran -
I get that but we're not supposed to make others stumble.

Romans 14:13-19

"13 Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. 14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding."

The specific modern application in this case is do not put pig parts in a vaccine meant for those who may think pigs are unclean.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:59 PM   #168
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Yep, it's the 'one-drop' principle of race applied to Religion: it's not about being devout, it's about being holier than thou.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 11:06 PM   #169
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I've never met a Muslim that ate pork to my knowledge, or one that claimed to eat pork.....
So you've met them all then?

Central part of their religion? Like all Muslim women wear burkas? Like all the Christians go to church and all the Jews go to the synagog every week?

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 11:14 PM   #170
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So you've met them all then?

Central part of their religion? Like all Muslim women wear burkas? Like all the Christians go to church and all the Jews go to the synagog every week?

Is it really your intention to argue for pro-pork Muslims?
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:27 AM   #171
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Is it really your intention to argue for pro-pork Muslims?
Is it your assertion that there isn't a single person who considers themselves Muslim who will eat pork either in extremis or simply for pleasure ?

Here's a video, which may or may not be viewable in your area, which shows exactly that - in Indonesia:

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/features...jakarta-video/

Then again, it's just a case of deflecting from the actual argument - that Muslims would be prepared to take a vaccine which contains gelatine made from pork.

It seems that, in general, they would not least because many prominent Imams have said that its OK for them to do so. You'd have known that if you'd bothered to read the article as opposed to simply leaping to the default "Muslims bad/stoopid" conclusion. As the article says:

Quote:
A decree was later issued by the Muslim clerical body saying it was permissible to receive the vaccine, but cultural taboos still led to continued low vaccination rates, Howard said.
https://apnews.com/article/immunizat...f736d9badb397c

It appears not to be simply a matter of religion but a broader cultural issue in Indonesia.

Last edited by The Don; 22nd December 2020 at 01:30 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:30 AM   #172
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Ideologically, it might be easier for fundamentalist Muslims to accept a vaccine made from fetus tissue than with pork Gelatine.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 02:55 AM   #173
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Is it your assertion that there isn't a single person who considers themselves Muslim who will eat pork either in extremis or simply for pleasure ?

Here's a video, which may or may not be viewable in your area, which shows exactly that - in Indonesia:

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/features...jakarta-video/

Then again, it's just a case of deflecting from the actual argument - that Muslims would be prepared to take a vaccine which contains gelatine made from pork.

It seems that, in general, they would not least because many prominent Imams have said that its OK for them to do so. You'd have known that if you'd bothered to read the article as opposed to simply leaping to the default "Muslims bad/stoopid" conclusion. As the article says:

https://apnews.com/article/immunizat...f736d9badb397c

It appears not to be simply a matter of religion but a broader cultural issue in Indonesia.
First of all let me correct your false assertions. I never said nor implied Muslims are bad or stupid.

In case you did not comprehend my previous posts, my implication is that those who made the vaccine should not have used any animal parts that could be viewed by some religious groups as mashbooh.

I'm all for a confrontational discussion but you'll need to stick with what I've actually said and try not to imply a substitution for which you can attack without justification.
Old 22nd December 2020, 02:57 AM   #174
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

It's sad but expected, out of all the issues raised in this thread and the one previous, a trump supporter finally finds one they can respond to. Muslims might have concerns about a vaccine that has pork byproducts in it.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 05:28 AM   #175
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
It's sad but expected, out of all the issues raised in this thread and the one previous, a trump supporter finally finds one they can respond to. Muslims might have concerns about a vaccine that has pork byproducts in it.
The straws must be grasped for when their dear leader keeps trying to drag them back into the drowning pool.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:19 AM   #176
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Re: vaccination of republican Congress-critters (such as Gaetz)...
Quote:
.... but again you have to look at the chance that they might spread the disease to others.
So people need a vaccine because they refuse to wear a mask?
I agree... it sucks. Majorly. It is definitely unfair to those who have taken a more responsible attitude.... masks and social distancing.

But, if the goal is saving lives and/or reducing the strain on the medical system, it may be the best way. If Gaetz caught covid19 again, I'd have no sympathy. "Dumb-ass republicans should be wearing masks". But if he passes it on to (for example) staff members in congress, or the pilot on the plane he is flying on to return to his district, those people don't deserve to suffer.

Note: My argument is based on the idea that congress critters may be more likely to catch/spread the disease than other people because their jobs require extensive travel and personal interactions... If it is found that other population groups are more likely to be super-spreaders, then they should get priority instead.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:33 AM   #177
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Vaccine? Pshaw!

Why couldn't we just inject bleach to kill the virus?

I'm 100% sure that enough injected bleach will prevent a person from getting covid-19.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:16 AM   #178
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I'm 100% sure that enough injected bleach will prevent a person from getting covid-19.
That's true. Dead people can't get sick.
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:54 AM   #179
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Gee, nobody has ever thought of that before.

California has established a number of social programs to help the homeless deal with the virus.
Homeless people spend a lot of their time outdoors.
People kept their distance from homeless people before the pandemic.

Studies of homeless people have shown an unusually high percentage of asymptomatic cases though. They're trying to figure out why, according to the article.
I'd rather just ask a question that insinuates something that plays into my prejudices and not actually do research and let facts guide my thinking.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:08 PM   #180
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:13 PM   #181
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Appeal to pity.
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:25 AM   #182
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is terrible. Muslims actually believe if one drop of blood from a pig touches them, they're bound for Hell with no chance to enter Mecca. This will undoubtedly lead to mass rejection of the vaccine in the Middle East. Accidental oversight by vaccine mfgs? Surely nobody's that dumb.
No they don't.
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:43 AM   #183
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that the US now has one third of a million deaths from Covid-19. I know that President Trump and the GOP will insist that this shows how brilliantly the Trump Administration has responded to the pandemic because everyone was saying that at least two million would die (if absolutely noting was done) but by any reasonable standard that's a shocking number - not least because the deaths are increasing rapidly and even at the current rate, 100k a month are being added to that sad statistic.

I hope that Joe Biden will be able to influential in changing things around but AIUI, although he can set the national tone, the states themselves are responsible for managing their own response so that Texas and South Dakota can continue to proudly fumble the ball.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:56 AM   #184
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It seems that the US now has one third of a million deaths from Covid-19. I know that President Trump and the GOP will insist that this shows how brilliantly the Trump Administration has responded to the pandemic because everyone was saying that at least two million would die (if absolutely noting was done) but by any reasonable standard that's a shocking number - not least because the deaths are increasing rapidly and even at the current rate, 100k a month are being added to that sad statistic.

I hope that Joe Biden will be able to influential in changing things around but AIUI, although he can set the national tone, the states themselves are responsible for managing their own response so that Texas and South Dakota can continue to proudly fumble the ball.
That horse has left the barn. How people view it...maskers/anti-maskers, seriously/hoaxers, etc...was set last spring.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:20 AM   #185
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

A thought occurred to me yesterday as I went out to a store.

Mask wearing in my corner of Michigan has become universal. Everyone had a mask, and all were properly worn. When I first ventured out into the world post-lockdown, there were a lot of masks covering the mouth, but not the nose. Yesterday, every mask I saw was coving both mouth and nose.

Is it the same everywhere? Is this a national trend, or just in certain areas?
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:48 AM   #186
slyjoe
Master Poster

Mask wearing in my corner of Michigan has become universal. Everyone had a mask, and all were properly worn. When I first ventured out into the world post-lockdown, there were a lot of masks covering the mouth, but not the nose. Yesterday, every mask I saw was coving both mouth and nose.

You have a mask mandate from the governor, correct? In AZ, we don't. There are still a bunch of people without masks, a bunch with masks covering only the mouth, and a bunch hanging around people's necks.

I had 4 air conditioner installers here last week, and not one had a mask. However, when you go into stores, MOST people have masks on.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:53 AM   #187
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Iím one of the few people that wears a mask here in my little slice of small town Georgia. Most everyone else seems to just pretend the virus doesnít exist. All the restaurants and churches are business as usual.

Sad thing is I now personally know four people that have died from COVID. My brother and his family are currently fighting it as well.
ToddH is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:33 PM   #188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Kirk Cameron does it again:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/enter...sts/index.html

I think this guy just plain hates sceince.
I note he can't even get his stupid DTV movies funded any more.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:23 PM   #189
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
No they don't.
You are attempting a rational discussion with a bigfoot believer. It's pointless.
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:24 PM   #190
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

He's even the dumbest guy in a room that includes Ray Comfort.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:29 PM   #191
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You are attempting a rational discussion with a bigfoot believer. It's pointless.
Sometimes one still has to push back.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:34 PM   #192
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Can you please format your links properly?

Kirk Cameron organizes caroling protests amid California's Covid-19 surge
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 02:13 PM   #193
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What do you mean the vaccine is $601?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:13 PM   #194
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:49 PM   #195
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

In case you did not comprehend my previous posts, my implication is that those who made the vaccine should not have used any animal parts that could be viewed by some religious groups as mashbooh.

<snip>

Another point made in the article is that the pork based gelatin works much better as a stabilizer than any of the other available substitutes.

Combine that with the fact that Muslim and Hebrew religious authorities have for years stated that such an inclusion in a vaccine does not violate any religious proscription on eating pork, and there should be enough information for even you to grasp the reasoning for its use.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2020, 01:07 AM   #196
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
No they don't.
If that were true we wouldn't have wudu................
Old 24th December 2020, 01:26 AM   #197
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Another point made in the article is that the pork based gelatin works much better as a stabilizer than any of the other available substitutes.

Combine that with the fact that Muslim and Hebrew religious authorities have for years stated that such an inclusion in a vaccine does not violate any religious proscription on eating pork, and there should be enough information for even you to grasp the reasoning for its use.
Your post began as an example of a fine effort, but it ended in fallacy, unfortunate.

Ad hominem:

"The various types of ad hominem arguments have been known in the West since at least the ancient Greeks. Aristotle, in his work Sophistical Refutations, detailed the fallaciousness of putting the questioner but not the argument under scrutiny." wiki
Old 24th December 2020, 01:38 AM   #198
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
You have a mask mandate from the governor, correct?
Yes, we do. I'm not sure the complete parameters of it, but I know that all businesses have signs saying masks are required.

A lot of people hate our governor for her response to the Covid-19 epidemic. I, on the other hand, was disappointed she wasn't tagged for Vice President. Kamala's fine, but I like our governor.

We are having an explosion of cases, like elsewhere, but our explosions are not as dramatic as elsewhere. It's working, or at least it's working better than most of the rest of the US.
Old 24th December 2020, 01:41 AM   #199
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, vaccine rollout isn't going as quickly as anticipated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgdhp

I look at it as one last chance to fail for Donald Trump and his crew. He spent plenty of money on Operation Warp Speed, but their plan seems to consist of "We'll ship it to states, and let them figure it out." There's not much of an actual process.

If Biden doesn't do better, I want my money back.
Old 24th December 2020, 02:36 AM   #200
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...I'm not sure the complete parameters of it, but I know that all businesses have signs saying masks are required...
The requirements Whitmer ordered are easy to find:
Quote:
Acting under the Michigan Constitution of 1963 and Michigan law, I order the following:
  • Any individual who leaves their home or place of residence must wear a face covering over their nose and mouth:
  • When in any indoor public space;
  • When outdoors and unable to consistently maintain a distance of six feet or more from individuals who are not members of their household; and
  • When waiting for or riding on public transportation, while in a taxi or ride-sharing vehicle, or when using a private car service as a means of hired transportation.
Office of Governor Gretchen Whitmer
Today we go over 19 million cases. Probably by lunchtime EST.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics