IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags al gore , barack obama , democratic party , democrats , hillary clinton , john edwards , presidential candidates

Reply
Old 17th February 2007, 07:20 PM   #41
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,601
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
Thanks, I'm leaning to Obama. I like him. I think his biggest problem is everyone thinking, and stating, that America isn't ready.

If I do vote for him it will be the first Democrat that I have supported since Gary Hart.
Hey, welcome back RF!

Good point - let's assume America is ready and that he gets the chance to have a decent shot at it.

He's the right age and experience and certainly provides a great counter if Guiliani gets the nod on the other side. (Or so it seems from a distance.)
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 07:31 PM   #42
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 60,134
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Hey, welcome back RF!

Good point - let's assume America is ready and that he gets the chance to have a decent shot at it.

He's the right age and experience and certainly provides a great counter if Guiliani gets the nod on the other side. (Or so it seems from a distance.)
Thanks.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 01:32 AM   #43
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,863
I like dean, he didnt piss in my face the way bush and kerry enjoyed to,

Forget Obama, we have one stupid coke-head in office right now, do we REALLY need another one?

I dont care for the "just experimenting" line...there is still common sense

For instance, how much running on the freeway experimentation do kids do?
Not a whole lot
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 01:47 AM   #44
clarsct
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,867
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I like dean, he didnt piss in my face the way bush and kerry enjoyed to,

Forget Obama, we have one stupid coke-head in office right now, do we REALLY need another one?

I dont care for the "just experimenting" line...there is still common sense

For instance, how much running on the freeway experimentation do kids do?
Not a whole lot
Obama=Coke Head?

Bloody Hell, did I miss a memo?
clarsct is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 01:47 AM   #45
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,601
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Forget Obama, we have one stupid coke-head in office right now, do we REALLY need another one?
You, of course, have lived an exemplary life, never once breaking a law. Not once, even when young and stupid did you break a single rule. I commend you.

I'm surprised you aren't on a christian site. John 8:7 would cover it nicely.

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I dont care for the "just experimenting" line...there is still common sense
Which "experiment" is this? Having a black guy running for Pres? Yeah, makes no sense at all, does it? What the hell does that uppity damn ****** think he's doin'?
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
For instance, how much running on the freeway experimentation do kids do?
Not a whole lot
Yeah, voting a coon into the White House would be even worse than playing chicken on a 20-lane freeway.

Glad to see some common sense in this thread at last.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 01:49 AM   #46
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,601
Originally Posted by clarsct View Post
Obama=Coke Head?

Bloody Hell, did I miss a memo?
Oh yeah. Barack admitted that he did inhale.

An honest politician, horrific.

Just realised - maybe that's the "experiment" pipeline was talking about - an honest bloke standing for Pres.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 01:54 AM   #47
clarsct
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,867
Hrmph.


Well, all those who said they would have respected Clinton more had he admitted his drug use now have a gauntlet thrown down, don't they? I wonder how many pundits will comdemn Obama for this, and how many of them said something exactly like that.


Besides, Given that stats on how many Americans have tried drugs, this country ought to be full of CokeHeads. The idea that you have tried drugs or been on drugs in the past has some magical effect on your decisions in the future is not one I think is backed by evidence.
Sounds like more voodoo pharmacology to me.
clarsct is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 01:54 AM   #48
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,863
Nice try bigot, Obama's color is not at issue here

His stupidity is

Show one iota of evidence I have a problem with Obama's "ethnicity" or withraw your accusations

I am NOT happy with our president now, and I dont want to chance it on Obama either

Can I not make a judgement based on the fact that he was stupid enough to do coke?

Of course if he had ever said a inapropriate word to a female coworker OF COURSE hed be out of the running

Im a little more worried about what kind of retard youd have to be to try coke
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 01:59 AM   #49
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,601
Ok, if colour isn't the "experiment" you're talking about, what is?
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 02:00 AM   #50
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,601
Originally Posted by clarsct View Post
Hrmph.


Well, all those who said they would have respected Clinton more had he admitted his drug use now have a gauntlet thrown down, don't they? I wonder how many pundits will comdemn Obama for this, and how many of them said something exactly like that.


Besides, Given that stats on how many Americans have tried drugs, this country ought to be full of CokeHeads. The idea that you have tried drugs or been on drugs in the past has some magical effect on your decisions in the future is not one I think is backed by evidence.
Sounds like more voodoo pharmacology to me.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 03:25 AM   #51
PenguinWarrior
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Nice try bigot, Obama's color is not at issue here

His stupidity is

Show one iota of evidence I have a problem with Obama's "ethnicity" or withraw your accusations

I am NOT happy with our president now, and I dont want to chance it on Obama either

Can I not make a judgement based on the fact that he was stupid enough to do coke?

Of course if he had ever said a inapropriate word to a female coworker OF COURSE hed be out of the running

Im a little more worried about what kind of retard youd have to be to try coke
Lots of people do dumb things when they are young. It's the person they are now that matters, surely? If you don't want to vote for him for that reason, well, fair enough, but you're not voting for the person as they were as a teenager to be President (Thank Ed).

Also, regarding Obama's race - I think those who might be deterred by it are largely not going to vote Democratic anyway (not anymore, anyhow. The southern wing of the party doesn't have a particularly spectacular history in this regard) as modern racists tend to collect on the (extreme) right wing of politics (for fairness sake, I will also point out that the loony conspiracy theorists tend to collect on the left, as far as I can tell. Certainly some of the "If Bush loses, he will declare martial law and institute a dictatorship" people made me sigh.)

Anyway, I will continue to follow with interest, despite having absolutely no way to effect the outcome. Well maybe I could write to some people and tell them that as a British person I want them to vote Republican, thus ensuring extra Democratic votes.
PenguinWarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 08:48 AM   #52
Mephisto
Philosopher
 
Mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,064
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
He acted like a lunatic.

Yeah, I agree. It was a rather silly thing to base one's decision on. Still, it's comedy gold.
As Bill Mahr said in his HBO program Friday (not verbatim)- "Joe Biden was taken out of serious consideration because of his comments about Obama, John Kerry seemingly made a joke about the troops that no one understood, and Howard Dean yelled, "Yee Haa," two decibels over what Americans consider proper for yelling Yee Haa. In this country, if a political candidate's chances are destroyed when he misspeaks, how the hell did we end up with the chimp we have now."

I also like Obama, but would like to see him teamed with John Edwards - they could run on the Ebony & Ivory platform.

(edited to add) Welcome back, btw.
__________________
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"

Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Mephisto; 18th February 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Mephisto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 10:56 AM   #53
corplinx
JREF Kid
 
corplinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 8,952
I was hoping Democratic Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen would make a go. He's not as much of a socialist as the other candidates and is pretty pragmatic.

However, he had problems with his ticker.

Where are the governors anyway?
corplinx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 11:00 AM   #54
Merko
Graduate Poster
 
Merko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Can I not make a judgement based on the fact that he was stupid enough to do coke?
Yes you can, but I think it shows a lack in judgement. If a political candidate has never tried illegal drugs or abused alcohol, never cheated on his/her spouse, never even slightly abused a position of power for personal gains, never used a racist or sexist remark in an emotional outburst, never got caught shoplifting.. what does it tell us about this candidate? That he or she is a great leader? I think it is more likely explained by this person having been, from an early age, a career politician, always watching his/her step for no other reason than to avoid scandal.

I don't know enough about Obama to know if I'd like him as a US president, but his having tried drugs signifies to me mainly that at some point in time he's been living a real life as a real person with real experiences.
Merko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 11:11 AM   #55
Merko
Graduate Poster
 
Merko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Case in point: what killed Howard Dean?
He had made himself many enemies because of his political stance. Howerver, many of these enemies could not openly say that they disliked him because of his political stance, for example you couldn't really say that you didn't trust him because he wasn't dependent enough on funding from big business. So, these enemies had to come up with some other reason. It didn't really matter what, anything would do. Then when that anything turned up, they'd just all publicly agree that this totally disqualified Dean. Of course, this seemed more than a little ridiculous, but when a lot of influential people manage to say it with a straight face, it works. Sadly.
Merko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 08:05 AM   #56
Mephisto
Philosopher
 
Mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,064
Originally Posted by Merko View Post
He had made himself many enemies because of his political stance. Howerver, many of these enemies could not openly say that they disliked him because of his political stance, for example you couldn't really say that you didn't trust him because he wasn't dependent enough on funding from big business. So, these enemies had to come up with some other reason. It didn't really matter what, anything would do. Then when that anything turned up, they'd just all publicly agree that this totally disqualified Dean. Of course, this seemed more than a little ridiculous, but when a lot of influential people manage to say it with a straight face, it works. Sadly.
Maybe it was because anything he would have had to say about the Terri Schiavo debacle would have been far more authoritative than the Republicans who weighed in on the debate - he IS an M.D.

Come to think of it, have any past Presidents been medical doctors?
__________________
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"

Mahatma Gandhi
Mephisto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 08:09 AM   #57
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,863
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Ok, if colour isn't the "experiment" you're talking about, what is?
coke, try reading before attacking the messenger

try not looking at the world with such biggoted eyes, so PC ready to pounce at every percieved social injustice

Its like watching some joke causie on PCU
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 08:12 AM   #58
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,863
Just so Im clear, "drugs" is one thing

but

coke requires a brain so malformed to do it is without excuse or pardon

Sorry if thats harsh to you cokeheads, but there is a point where something can be so stupid it really doesnt matter WHEN you did it.

The only difference between being stupid enough to do coke and stupid enough to lay down on the freeway, is that the cokehead is a lot more likely to still be alive
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 09:05 AM   #59
Texastwister
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 95
Why doesnt anybody talk about Bill Richardson? I personnaly think Obama is peaking too early, there is way too much time for people to dig dirt up on him.

The best thing the democrats have now is a lack of any credible challengers from the Republicans. Romney no way, Giullianni has too much baggage, and Mccann is like Hillary, past his time.
Texastwister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 09:50 AM   #60
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,863
Originally Posted by Texastwister View Post
Why doesnt anybody talk about Bill Richardson? I personnaly think Obama is peaking too early, there is way too much time for people to dig dirt up on him.

The best thing the democrats have now is a lack of any credible challengers from the Republicans. Romney no way, Giullianni has too much baggage, and Mccann is like Hillary, past his time.
Bill Richardson would be immedialely demonized by the media and religious left who INSIST on tying Illegal criminal VIOLATION of national sovereignty, with legal immigration

I love him! I wish our Governess, Janet Come Lately would do more than pay lip service to his sackitude
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 12:36 PM   #61
Steven Howard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,797
Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
I donít want to derail the thread, but where is this atheist first world country?
More than half the population of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Japan, the Czech Republic, Finland, and France identify as atheist, agnostic, or not believing in God.

(Zuckerman, Phil. "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns", chapter in The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael Martin, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK 2005)
Steven Howard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 12:37 PM   #62
Steven Howard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,797
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Just so Im clear, "drugs" is one thing

but

coke requires a brain so malformed to do it is without excuse or pardon

Sorry if thats harsh to you cokeheads, but there is a point where something can be so stupid it really doesnt matter WHEN you did it.

The only difference between being stupid enough to do coke and stupid enough to lay down on the freeway, is that the cokehead is a lot more likely to still be alive
Says who?
Steven Howard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 01:03 PM   #63
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,601
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
coke, try reading before attacking the messenger

try not looking at the world with such biggoted eyes, so PC ready to pounce at every percieved social injustice

Its like watching some joke causie on PCU
Given your propensity to create straw men and generally post garbage, I'll stick with the attack. Your statements are spurious and redundant unless you yourself have never broken the law. Which "experiment" you were referring to is of as little consequence as your posts.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 01:07 PM   #64
Tricky
Briefly immortal
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 44,381
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
coke requires a brain so malformed to do it is without excuse or pardon

Sorry if thats harsh to you cokeheads, but there is a point where something can be so stupid it really doesnt matter WHEN you did it.
Doesn't our current president refuse to respond to questions about his earlier use of cocaine? I don't believe he has ever outright denied it.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 01:34 PM   #65
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,863
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Doesn't our current president refuse to respond to questions about his earlier use of cocaine? I don't believe he has ever outright denied it.
thats what I said, we already HAVE one cokehead in office, do we REALLY need to do it again?

check post #43 http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6&postcount=43

But instead, whackjob the "atheist" sees KKK behind every tree
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 02:48 PM   #66
MajorOrgan
Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Wesley Clark

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Clark

Though Obama could be the next Jack Kennedy.
MajorOrgan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 02:51 PM   #67
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,601
Yeah, I liked Wesley Clark - I think he would've killed Bush last time.

I still shake my head in wonder that they turned him down to go with Kerry. Did Michael Moore's championing of the General have anything to do with his non-selection?
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 04:14 PM   #68
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 11,269
For my own part, it was the 2004 debates that gave me interest in Kerry and Edwards above the others... they shined. When they got asked a question, they answered it. Clarke, Dean, Sharpton, and that K guy always did the candidate's favorite trick of diverting every question to a topic they were comfortable with INSTEAD of answering it.
__________________

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 04:15 PM   #69
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 11,269
For me the question isn't... is America ready to vote for Barack--it's are YOU ready to vote for Barack. Where's the strategy in wondering what other people think? Afraid if he wins the primary, he'll lose the general? If the thought of Hillary winning the primary doesn't scare you that way, I don't know what else can. She is a far greater liability in seeking votes outside the democratic core than barack is.
__________________

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 04:26 PM   #70
Diamond
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,726
May I ask a dumb-but-necessary question:

It seems to me that a successful candidate from the Democratic Party has to beat a Republican challenger. So who are the likely candidates?
Diamond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 04:42 PM   #71
Gurdur
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,873
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Just so Im clear, "drugs" is one thing

but

coke requires a brain so malformed to do it is without excuse or pardon

Sorry if thats harsh to you cokeheads, but there is a point where something can be so stupid it really doesnt matter WHEN you did it.

The only difference between being stupid enough to do coke and stupid enough to lay down on the freeway, is that the cokehead is a lot more likely to still be alive
You know, I could excuse your abhorrent spelling and grammar, let alone your consistant, glaring lack of logic, much more if you had blamed it on coke. Now that you've wiped out coke as an excuse, what do you have left?
Gurdur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 04:54 PM   #72
Tricky
Briefly immortal
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 44,381
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Yeah, I liked Wesley Clark - I think he would've killed Bush last time.

I still shake my head in wonder that they turned him down to go with Kerry. Did Michael Moore's championing of the General have anything to do with his non-selection?
The problem with Clark was that he was a turncoat. No matter how happy you are to have somebody join your side from the other side, there's always a hint of distrust for a traitor, even if he traded the right way. The party faithful don't like it.

And you can be pretty damn sure that Lieberman won't get any nominations from the Democrats or the Republicans.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 05:41 PM   #73
Luke T.
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 14,708
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Hey, welcome back RF!

Good point - let's assume America is ready and that he gets the chance to have a decent shot at it.

He's the right age and experience and certainly provides a great counter if Guiliani gets the nod on the other side. (Or so it seems from a distance.)
Experience? And what experience is that?

ETA: I predict the word "experience" will not appear in any Obama campaign slogan.

Last edited by Luke T.; 19th February 2007 at 05:57 PM.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 05:43 PM   #74
Luke T.
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 14,708
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I like Obama too.
Why?

Quote:
But I would like to know where he stands on most issues. I think even if he believes in certain policies that I disagree with, I will still vote for him.
You don't know where he stands on certain issues, but you would vote for him even if he stands in opposition to you on certain policies.

WTF?

Why?

What are you basing your vote on?
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 05:47 PM   #75
Luke T.
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 14,708
Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post
The number of people who would actually vote for a black or female candidate could easily be lower than the numbers indicate. It's fairly well established that people, even in anonymous polls, pick socially acceptable answers. Racism and sexism is not socially acceptable, though discrimination against atheists apparently is.
A more likely possibility is that people already had a candidate in mind when they took the poll.

"A woman? Sure I'd vote for Hillary! Yeah! Woo hoo!"

"A black? Go, Obama, go!"

I wouldn't take the poll any more seriously than that.

Imagine if Alan Keyes was the only one who had announced at this point. You'd be seeing "vote for a black" down in the 20s.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 05:52 PM   #76
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,863
Originally Posted by Gurdur View Post
You know, I could excuse your abhorrent spelling and grammar, let alone your consistant, glaring lack of logic, much more if you had blamed it on coke. Now that you've wiped out coke as an excuse, what do you have left?
oh look, its mr call me ignorant and run away

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8&postcount=75

waiting for the polls
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 06:29 PM   #77
MajorOrgan
Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
The problem with Clark was that he was a turncoat. No matter how happy you are to have somebody join your side from the other side, there's always a hint of distrust for a traitor, even if he traded the right way. The party faithful don't like it.

And you can be pretty damn sure that Lieberman won't get any nominations from the Democrats or the Republicans.
Traitor to what? To my knowledge, he was not politically active until he decided to run for President, and that he declared himself a Democrat because he felt closer to the party's platform, and also opposed the Iraqi War. Besides, politicians switch parties quite often, to little consequence. See Jim Webb, Michael Bloomberg, Ronald Reagan, and the entire Texas Republican Party.
MajorOrgan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 09:11 PM   #78
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness
 
Silly Green Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,249
I read through the thread waiting to see if pipelineaudio would give more information about Kerry's speech that 'lost him Arizona'. Suppose I should have known better.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2007, 03:48 AM   #79
Schneibster
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,966
Originally Posted by MajorOrgan View Post
Traitor to what? ... Besides, politicians switch parties quite often, to little consequence. See Jim Webb, Michael Bloomberg, Ronald Reagan, and the entire Texas Republican Party.
ROFLMFAO, thanks, I needed a good chuckle. My daily requirement.
Schneibster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2007, 05:03 AM   #80
Kerberos
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,577
Originally Posted by Luke T. View Post
A more likely possibility is that people already had a candidate in mind when they took the poll.

"A woman? Sure I'd vote for Hillary! Yeah! Woo hoo!"

"A black? Go, Obama, go!"

I wouldn't take the poll any more seriously than that.

Imagine if Alan Keyes was the only one who had announced at this point. You'd be seeing "vote for a black" down in the 20s.
I'll grant you that those kind of factors matter as well, but Obama does not enjoy 94% support and Hilary does not have 88% backing. There seems in particular to be a lot of Hillary hating out there.
Kerberos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.