IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags al gore , barack obama , democratic party , democrats , hillary clinton , john edwards , presidential candidates

Old 20th February 2007, 08:40 AM   #81
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Just so Im clear, "drugs" is one thing

but

coke requires a brain so malformed to do it is without excuse or pardon

Sorry if thats harsh to you cokeheads, but there is a point where something can be so stupid it really doesnt matter WHEN you did it.

The only difference between being stupid enough to do coke and stupid enough to lay down on the freeway, is that the cokehead is a lot more likely to still be alive

How old are you? I ask because attitudes and understanding about coke has changed dramatically over the last 30 years. I had a COP tell us in the late 70's during a drug education lecture that coke was absolutely not addictive. Are you sure you are not applying post 90's attitudes / understanding to an event that happened in the early 70's. Does that change your opinion?

To me it is like the person that thinks the world is only 6,000 years old. If they held that position prior to about 1900 it has no effect on my opinion of them, if they currently believe that they are a stone cold moron.

Daredelvis
daredelvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2007, 08:52 AM   #82
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I like Obama too.

But I would like to know where he stands on most issues.
In brief

There are a couple of issues there I'm iffy on, but no one is going to be a perfect match.
Old 20th February 2007, 03:18 PM   #83
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

It does surprise me how little mention Bill Richardson gets in these lists. He has a number of points going for him:

He probably has the best resume of anyone to declare so far:

15 years in the US House of representatives
US Ambassador to the UN
Secretary of Energy
Governor of New Mexico

Also, he's the only Hispanic to enter thus far, and I've been told this is a political advantage right now. Apparently polls show that he has some cross-party appeal, as well. Even Libertarians like him (compared to other Democrats, at least).
Vorticity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2007, 02:28 AM   #84
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Luke T. View Post
Experience? And what experience is that?

ETA: I predict the word "experience" will not appear in any Obama campaign slogan.
Human rights and values, I guess - someone who's been at the coal-face of where action is most needed. Face it, USA will have a christian president next year, no matter what. Better to have one like Obama than one like Dubbya.
Old 21st February 2007, 03:08 PM   #85
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Dr Adequate View Post
You have sex with Republicans?

Ewww.
Of course, Democrats are too busy apologizing for everything to ever get around to actually having sex.

Libertarians, on the other hand are pretty hot in bed, and generally don't come with all the extraneous baggage. Although the extensive contractual negotiations required beforehand can tend to kill the mood (unless you're a lawyer, in which case it's considered foreplay).
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2007, 03:12 PM   #86
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Originally Posted by daredelvis View Post
How old are you? I ask because attitudes and understanding about coke has changed dramatically over the last 30 years. I had a COP tell us in the late 70's during a drug education lecture that coke was absolutely not addictive. Are you sure you are not applying post 90's attitudes / understanding to an event that happened in the early 70's. Does that change your opinion?

Daredelvis
Im making the mistake of applying real world experience to my thinking. Without exception, every coke head I know is busily wrecking the lives of everyone around them. I enjoy their money so I give a bit of tolerance. Would I want someone like that in charge of my country? Hell no!
Old 21st February 2007, 03:17 PM   #87
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
I read through the thread waiting to see if pipelineaudio would give more information about Kerry's speech that 'lost him Arizona'. Suppose I should have known better.
no I made it up, Kerry never spoke in arizona

no really
Old 21st February 2007, 03:18 PM   #88
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
an ex-POW who supports torture?
Meph, this is weird:

Why are you slandering Senator McCain?

What is your evidence that he supports torture? In the past two years year I have read three different articles forwarded to Post and Times, etc, written by him (perhaps by his staff and him) wherein he explicitly challenges Rummy, Cheney, and other Executive Branchers on torture, to the tune of torture being bad, not a sound policy.

Why do you think he supports torture?

ETA: Hmmm, seems my files of articles are on another PC. May not be able to access them today.
From Sourcewatch
Quote:
Congressional torture ban

Senator McCain, as a former POW, is particularly sensitive to the issue of detention and interrogation of detainees from the War on Terror. On October 3, 2005, Senator McCain introduced the McCain Detainee Amendment to the Defense Appropriations bill for 2005. On October 5, 2005, the United States Senate voted 90-9 to support the amendment. [18]

This amendment would establish the US Army Field Manual on Interrogation as the standard for interrogation of all detainees held in Department of Defense custody, including those held by the Central Intelligence Agency. The amendment would prohibit cruel, inhumane, and degrading treatment and follow sections of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The Amendment was initially opposed by the Bush administration, particularly Vice-President Dick Cheney. Before the vote supporting the amendment, the White House threatened to veto any language limiting the use of torture on suspected terrorists. However, due to the size of the majority voting in favor, this was not an option. The White House then sought alternative language which would exempt CIA operatives from the torture ban. The Senate refused the compromise.

On December 15, President Bush announced that he accepted McCain's terms and will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."[19] Nevertheless, President Bush can interpret the law "in a manner consistent with his own constitutional authority." In his signing statement, or interpretation of the law, President Bush reserves what he interprets to be his constitutional right to torture in order to avoid further terrorist attacks. [20]
From his article on 'The Terrible Toll of Torture"

Our commitment to basic humanitarian values affects—in part—the willingness of other nations to do the same. Mistreatment of enemy prisoners endangers our own troops who might someday be held captive. While some enemies, and Al Qaeda surely, will never be bound by the principle of reciprocity, we should have concern for those Americans captured by more traditional enemies, if not in this war then in the next. Until about 1970, North Vietnam ignored its obligations not to mistreat the Americans they held prisoner, claiming that we were engaged in an unlawful war against them and thus not entitled to the protections of the Geneva Conventions. But when their abuses became widely known and incited unfavorable international attention, they substantially decreased their mistreatment of us. Again, Al Qaeda will never be influenced by international sensibilities or open to moral suasion. If ever the term "sociopath" applied to anyone, it applies to them. But I doubt they will be the last enemy America will fight, and we should not undermine today our defense of international prohibitions against torture and inhumane treatment of prisoners of war that we will need to rely on in the future

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 21st February 2007 at 03:25 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2007, 03:28 PM   #89
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Just so Im clear, "drugs" is one thing

but

coke requires a brain so malformed to do it is without excuse or pardon
Complete crap and pure prejudice. Cocaine has a lower physical dependence profile, and is far less damaging in the long term than, say, heroin or methamphetamine; nor does it affect behaviour to quite the same degree. As far as behavioural modification, it's on the low end of the "hard drug" spectrum, roughly equivalent to, say, alcohol or MDMA.

The only thing that sets cocaine apart from other "hard" recreational drugs is its unique political characteristics, due entirely to an accident of geography and botanical biology.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2007, 03:34 PM   #90
steverino
Illuminator

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Of course, Democrats are too busy apologizing for everything to ever get around to actually having sex.
Also worth doing are uptight Catholic girls, many of whom are repressed Republicans and have daddy issues. Just don't knock them up.*

*Every Sperm is Sacred (Eric Idle)
steverino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2007, 03:41 PM   #91
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

*WJ Clinton voice*
I am sorry Hillary, I was so drained by Monica that I can't service you tonight. Honey, what is that lamp doing in your hand?

Quote:
Libertarians, on the other hand are pretty hot in bed, and generally don't come with all the extraneous baggage. Although the extensive contractual negotiations required beforehand can tend to kill the mood (unless you're a lawyer, in which case it's considered foreplay).
Isn't foreplay where the you sit on the bed and tell her how good it is going to be, since the free market empowered her to make the choice for your superior goods and servicing? Uh, sorry, goods and services . . . oh never mind!

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2007, 05:23 PM   #92
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

roughly equivalent to, say, alcohol or MDMA.
are you on coke?
Old 22nd February 2007, 08:22 AM   #93
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vorticity View Post
It does surprise me how little mention Bill Richardson gets in these lists. He has a number of points going for him:

He probably has the best resume of anyone to declare so far:

15 years in the US House of representatives
US Ambassador to the UN
Secretary of Energy
Governor of New Mexico

Also, he's the only Hispanic to enter thus far, and I've been told this is a political advantage right now. Apparently polls show that he has some cross-party appeal, as well. Even Libertarians like him (compared to other Democrats, at least).
I thought he did well at the Carson City, NV Forum yesterday.

Anyone know if there is a transcript available for that on the web?
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2007, 05:17 PM   #94
Merko
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Meph, this is weird:

Why are you slandering Senator McCain?

What is your evidence that he supports torture?
Maybe he's referring to how McCain more or less folded in his attempt on the so-called 'torture ban'. Though I have no political reason to support McCain, I don't think this is accurate. Even though he may be a very convinced opponent of torture, there might still come a point where he'd allow himself to be pragmatic. And in a sense the no-ban was still an partial win for McCain, I think it is better to leave it as a gray area, which I think is what happened, than to explicitely allow torture, which was also clearly on the table.
Merko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics