ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th November 2018, 10:28 AM   #121
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
No.
That was my poor attempt at humor. The only time I see anyone using their hazard lights is when they are illegally parked, hence "parking lights". Legend says the flashing patterns confuses cops, making it impossible for them to ticket you if they are on. Also works on tow truck drivers.
Old 8th November 2018, 10:29 AM   #122
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Boy you non-Floridians sure have some dumb names for your car's "Driving 15 Miles an Hour on the Freeway in Torrential Downpour Warning Lights."

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th November 2018 at 10:32 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:32 AM   #123
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
That was my poor attempt at humor. The only time I see anyone using their hazard lights is when they are illegally parked, hence "parking lights". Legend says the flashing patterns confuses cops, making it impossible for them to ticket you if they are on. Also works on tow truck drivers.
I live in a town where parking is simply impossible in the summer. So I pop the hazards and park in front of my house in the middle of the street and have lunch or a nooner or whatever. We call them the 'F.U. I live here' lights.
Old 8th November 2018, 10:37 AM   #124
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I live in a town where parking is simply impossible in the summer. So I pop the hazards and park in front of my house in the middle of the street and have lunch or a nooner or whatever. We call them the 'F.U. I live here' lights.
Winter is coming in Boston, and so are "space savers". It's a fine tradition of leaving lawn furniture and other detritus in the road to save a parking space that a person has shoveled out from under the snow. Apparently 45 minutes of work entitles someone sole ownership of public parking until the heat death of the universe.

Confrontations are common. Tires will be slashed and the townies will terrorize us all until spring. Thank god I live in the burbs.

ELITE CITY CULTURE

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 8th November 2018 at 10:38 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:42 AM   #125
Thermal
Illuminator

Winter is coming in Boston, and so are "space savers". It's a fine tradition of leaving lawn furniture and other detritus in the road to save a parking space that a person has shoveled out from under the snow. Apparently 45 minutes of work entitles someone sole ownership of public parking until the heat death of the universe.

Confrontations are common. Tires will be slashed and the townies will terrorize us all until spring. Thank god I live in the burbs.

ELITE CITY CULTURE
That's a tricky one, worthy of its own thread. The digger did the work, and it does seem entitled to take the fruits of his labor for your own convenience, leaving him to dig out again. But it is also a public street that the digger has no right to claim. Tire slashing does seem the reasonable solution.

eta: fascinating article. Never heard of formal municipal recognition of space savers. We have tourist renters that try to use them in the summer here, strictly for convenience. One of the benefits of driving a utility truck is that you hardly notice running them over as you park. I've heard.

Last edited by Thermal; 8th November 2018 at 10:46 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:46 AM   #126
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
This. We like to find simple causes to blame, but in reality most of these tragedies are a combination of failed safety checks and poor decisions by multiple parties involved.
Sure, there are usually multiple factors in a catastrophe. But if any one of those things or several others (signage, street lighting, speed limits, etc.) had gone differently, three children would be alive. It doesn't serve us to say "Well, so much went wrong, there's nothing to be done." There's always something to be done.

Last edited by Bob001; 8th November 2018 at 10:51 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:57 AM   #127
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Sure, there are usually multiple factors in a catastrophe. But if any one of those things or several others (signage, street lighting, speed limits, etc.) had gone differently, three children would be alive. It doesn't serve us to say "Well, so much went wrong, there's nothing to be done." There's always something to be done.
Of course, and that wasn't my intention by posting that. More along the lines of "there's no single person to blame, yet if any of those involved had acted more reasonably, it wouldn't have happened." So while the blame is shared, it would've only taken one better actor to prevent it, so in that sense, all of them are fully responsible.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 01:35 PM   #128
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
There's multiple levels of failure here.

- The woman who didn't "realize" it was a school bus.
- The bus driver who waved the kids on before he was sure traffic was stopped.
- The school district for not altering the bus route despite a history of parental complaints over safety.
4) It was still dark, because, Indiana, in it's infinite wisdom, choose to be in the Eastern Time Zone (at least that part of Indiana) despite being west of the time zone line of longitude. Had this been a week later (after DST ended), it would have been lighter, so better visibility.
4b) Had DST ended back in the beginning of October like it used to, see above.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:22 PM   #129
Distracted1
Master Poster

ELITE CITY CULTURE
https://www.phillyvoice.com/watch-ph...sies-reminder/

We love to play that game in Philly.
Has led to shootings. I have had heated arguments with neighbors about it.

The "savesies" "no savesies" divide here is starker than the one between the Hatfields and McCoys
Old 8th November 2018, 10:11 PM   #130
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
4) It was still dark, because, Indiana, in it's infinite wisdom, choose to be in the Eastern Time Zone (at least that part of Indiana) despite being west of the time zone line of longitude. Had this been a week later (after DST ended), it would have been lighter, so better visibility.
Eastern Indiana didn't used to go on DST because of that. Has it changed?
Old 9th November 2018, 08:08 AM   #131
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
We love to play that game in Philly.
Has led to shootings. I have had heated arguments with neighbors about it.

The "savesies" "no savesies" divide here is starker than the one between the Hatfields and McCoys
Thankfully in my neighborhood, it's not too much of a thing. There's a house here or there that will do it, but not too many. Personally, I'll be irked, but look the other way for a 10 hour "savsie" in the day after a snow storm. For example, snow stopped at 5AM, you dig out at 7AM and go to, I'll look the other way until 5PM. The following day, it's every man for himself. There's been plenty of time to dig out cars and make room for parking.

I'll also dig out multiple cars/spots. I tend to get in a zone of digging out. My sidewalk>my car>immediate neighbors sidewalk>neigbors car>extended neighbors sidewalk>other random cars and spots.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:45 AM   #132
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

That's a tricky one, worthy of its own thread. The digger did the work, and it does seem entitled to take the fruits of his labor for your own convenience, leaving him to dig out again. But it is also a public street that the digger has no right to claim. Tire slashing does seem the reasonable solution.

eta: fascinating article. Never heard of formal municipal recognition of space savers. We have tourist renters that try to use them in the summer here, strictly for convenience. One of the benefits of driving a utility truck is that you hardly notice running them over as you park. I've heard.

I enjoyed this (from a link in that article);
Quote:
After the 48 hrs is up, the city will pick up any space savers still ?left out. Seize this opportunity to get rid of anything lying around your ?house you want to get rid of i.e. radiators, foosball tables, mattresses, old televisions, whatever you want to get rid of. Just put it in your space and the city will haul it off.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:50 AM   #133
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Yes, the acknowledgement by the city invites very bad behavior and guarantees confrontation. Allegedly spaces can only be saved a short period of time after heavy snowfall, but "common practice" varies and unspoken, irrational rules are enforced by violence and vandalism. The system sucks because the temptation is high to save a space for an unreasonable time and spaces sit vacant "saved" for long periods of time in places where parking is already very scarce.

The more civilized neighborhoods and cities require people to move their cars after snowfall and plow the entire street, making shoveling out spaces by individuals irrelevant. Neighborhoods that don't require people to move their cars so they can plow to the curb suck to drive through, especially as the winter snow accumulates and ices over throughout the winter.

That can be a burden in some neighborhoods in Boston where street parking is the norm, but it's not that much different than having to move your car during street cleaning throughout the year. Owning a car without private parking in the city is often inconvenient.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 9th November 2018 at 08:56 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:50 AM   #134
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Thankfully in my neighborhood, it's not too much of a thing. There's a house here or there that will do it, but not too many. Personally, I'll be irked, but look the other way for a 10 hour "savsie" in the day after a snow storm. For example, snow stopped at 5AM, you dig out at 7AM and go to, I'll look the other way until 5PM. The following day, it's every man for himself. There's been plenty of time to dig out cars and make room for parking.

I'll also dig out multiple cars/spots. I tend to get in a zone of digging out. My sidewalk>my car>immediate neighbors sidewalk>neigbors car>extended neighbors sidewalk>other random cars and spots.
I am a center row, and will do the same (dig out as many of my neighbors as I have the time/energy for) however, I don't do a "grace period"- whenever I come back to the block I take whatever spot is available, if there are Items in the spot I move them out of the way to park.
"Shoveling out" is not some kind of civic service- it is something one does in order to get their car out onto the street, it entitles one to no more claim to that patch of street than was extant before the snow fell.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:52 AM   #135
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

I'm not sure that it makes much sense to blame time zone/DST changes.

It might have made a difference for this particular incident, but sooner or later the kids are gonna be leaving and/or coming home in the dark.

The entire set of problems needs to be addressed. Not just little shreds and bits.

Last edited by quadraginta; 9th November 2018 at 08:56 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:54 AM   #136
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Oh sweet jesus, THIS. I always ask such people if it will comfort anyone to have 'They had the Right of Way' carved on their tombstone.

<snip>
Here lies the body of John O'Day
Who died defending his right of way.
The right was clear, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:56 AM   #137
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
...bicycles, motorcycles, cars, small trucks, medium trucks, large trucks, trains...

The occasional airplane.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:00 AM   #138
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Here lies the body of John O'Day
Who died defending his right of way.
The right was clear, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Wonderful!
Original?
Old 9th November 2018, 09:22 AM   #139
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Wonderful!
Original?

Good heavens no!

Been around for ages. Might even predate automobiles. Right-of-way issues between large and small sailing vessels have existed for quite a while.

Probably apocryphal. I've seen multiple variations, but I've never found a verified reference to an actual tombstone which had that inscription.

Last edited by quadraginta; 9th November 2018 at 09:25 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events