IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags meditation , transcendental meditation

Old 13th September 2017, 01:54 AM   #1
Bubba
Banned

Military To Meditate To Reduce Global Stress, Stop War

Who will measure results?

Quote:
Nepal’s Military Set To Use Transcendental Meditation To Relieve Global Collective Stress & Stop War

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...ress-stop-war/
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 02:27 AM   #2
fagin
Philosopher

I guess we'll see when Kim and Donald start wearing flowers in their hair and stage a love in.
Old 13th September 2017, 02:58 AM   #3
Kid Eager
Philosopher

As usual, report is all confuzzled.

Military is going to use HAARP to teach lasers to meditate. Do try to keep up!
Old 13th September 2017, 03:10 AM   #4
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I guess we'll see when Kim and Donald start wearing flowers in their hair and stage a love in.
Trump to sell airforce on and get about by yogic flying.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The nice folks at TM have been preaching for years that if they get a certain minimum number of people meditating, peace-love-understanding will break out.

Looks like they still need a few to sign up.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 06:13 AM   #6
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
The rulers of the world.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 08:42 AM   #7
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

https://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Re...ation+response

I don't know why they chose TM specifically because the organization charges quite a bit of money to teach you something that you can get for a few dollars from Amazon.

There are many benefits from meditation that are measurable on an individual basis, but I think it would be pretty hard to extend it to regional or global levels.

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I think most of the benefits from meditation are there because we expect them to be and envision it as some mystical method. It's basically just unwinding, relaxing and clearing your mind, something you can do just as well when you get home from work, make a cup of tea, stick the telly on and put your bloody feet up.

A scented candle doesn't make the experience more magical, but it does make it smell nice.

Mmm, "fresh linen".

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Well, considering their behavior during the war with Maoist insurgents, I can think of worse things the Nepalese Army could be doing.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 08:08 PM   #10
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Well, considering their behavior during the war with Maoist insurgents, I can think of worse things the Nepalese Army could be doing.
I read that as Moist Insurgents. You don't want those... especially on your Nepals.
Old 15th September 2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I imagine most insurgents are moist. Insurgency is sweaty work from what I hear.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 04:39 AM   #12
TX50
Graduate Poster

Are they forming a "First Earth Battalion"?
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 04:42 AM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Ah, meditation. Also known as 'relaxing'.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 08:01 PM   #14
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post

Well, sure, but within that general category there are also the 'relaxing and thinking about stuff,' 'relaxing and thinking about nothing,' and 'relaxing and thinking about thinking' varieties.
Old 18th September 2017, 08:30 PM   #15
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

It's Nepal.

I'm surprised they weren't meditating as policy before now.

The real answer is that meditation lowers heart rate and blood pressure, just like any controlled breathing technique.

I've checked mine before and after and it works.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 10:07 PM   #16
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
It's Nepal.

I'm surprised they weren't meditating as policy before now.

The real answer is that meditation lowers heart rate and blood pressure, just like any controlled breathing technique.

I've checked mine before and after and it works.
Calmness? Sure. Stress-removal? Yeah.

Stop war? Not so much.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 05:44 AM   #17
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Well, sure, but within that general category there are also the 'relaxing and thinking about stuff,' 'relaxing and thinking about nothing,' and 'relaxing and thinking about thinking' varieties.

Oops, I forgot to include the also-popular 'relaxing and thinking about relaxing' method.

(These all have much more sophisticated-sounding names as well, of course.)
Old 18th October 2017, 03:19 PM   #18
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
The rulers of the world.

It'll make a small dent because this would be one army that could be fighting and is not. If all armies in the world meditate at the same time, it would make an even bigger difference. They could focus on the reasons they are fighting and gain a clearer understanding, which would help them fight with greater fervor once they are done meditating.
Old 21st October 2017, 11:39 AM   #19
Bubba
Banned

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Oops, I forgot to include the also-popular 'relaxing and thinking about relaxing' method.

(These all have much more sophisticated-sounding names as well, of course.)
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post

AFAIK most (not all) meditation systems involve learning 'not thinking' ie to quiet the mind, aka experiencing 'the stillness'. It takes practice.

The amount of practice needed to hush the 'busy brain' varies from person to person. Some just cannot do it, and give up. Environmental factors can make a difference. Quiet, distraction free locations are recommended.

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I think most of the benefits from meditation are there because we expect them to be and envision it as some mystical method . It's basically just unwinding, relaxing and clearing your mind, something you can do just as well when you get home from work, make a cup of tea, stick the telly on and put your bloody feet up.

Last edited by Bubba; 21st October 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal