IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags D.I.D. , Dr. Phil , false memory syndrome , Judy Byington , mind control , mpd , multiple personalities , recovered memory therapy , satanic ritual abuse

Old 9th July 2014, 03:54 PM   #2041
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by The Charnel Expanse View Post
Huh. So I just clicked on that dreaded 'other' button in my FB message repository and found this.
I guess this guy was responding to some of my comments on that VICE article a couple of pages back.

http://112.imagebam.com/download/5KC...927887/DPD.png

Thoughts?
First: when did she discover her "over 100 personalities"? Did they only exhibit after considerable time in therapy in the first place?

Second: is there any evidence of this ritual abuse? Did she ever provide names of people involved, specific places and buildings involved, description of the buildings and the rituals? I guess that when scrutiny is applied to this, the whole story breaks down like a house of cards.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 9th July 2014 at 03:55 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2014, 12:28 AM   #2042
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Good comments, HotNostril and ddt.

I'd just add that Jonathan is not helping his girlfriend by putting up with such behaviour and respecting the woman's therapist. He's just making her worse. He's actually in a prime position to notice and point out all the holes in her story but he's wilfully blind to it.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2014, 06:54 AM   #2043
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Among the disturbing points in Jonathan's note (and there are many) I'm particularly struck by his "complicit towards abusers" comment. It's a tried-an-true tactic, of course: believe my unverified, impossible-on-many-levels story of SRA verbatim, or be accused of being on the side of pedophiles. The obvious counter is that the whole SRA community -- such as it is -- is complicit in spreading ignorance and fear and promoting junk "science."

And although SRA hysteria no longer appears as capable of sending innocent people to jail; I sometimes wonder if a real pedophile or two might escape justice some day by presenting the victim's testimony as just another crazy made-up Satan story. I fear the more SRA people invent and promote such clearly impossible fantasies, the more the taint of reasonable doubt may creep into the minds of potential jurors when it comes to assessing the veracity of any abuse claim based primarily on the victim's word.
Old 17th July 2014, 07:42 AM   #2044
MySaskCan
New Blood

Angry Holy Ninth Circle Batman!!!

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
And although SRA hysteria no longer appears as capable of sending innocent people to jail; I sometimes wonder if a real pedophile or two might escape justice some day by presenting the victim's testimony as just another crazy made-up Satan story. I fear the more SRA people invent and promote such clearly impossible fantasies, the more the taint of reasonable doubt may creep into the minds of potential jurors when it comes to assessing the veracity of any abuse claim based primarily on the victim's word.
How does one speak sanity when you have Byington supporting Kevin Annett who supports Byington....

Annett fabricated this story (found at Childabuserecovery dot com) from the fictitious Brussels office of the ITCCS (really located in his attic in Nanaimo, B.C.):

This is one in a series of articles taken from eyewitness testimony before the International Common Law Court of Justice in Brussels. Five international judges are examining evidence of child rape, torture, murder and kidnapping allegedly done by global elite members of the Ninth Circle Satanic Child Sacrifice Cult network. Regular Ninth Circle child sacrifices were said to take place in the catacombs of Catholic Cathedrals, the Vatican, on private estates and groves and government military bases in Belgium, Holland, Spain, Australia, Ireland, France, England and the US. At least 34 child mass grave sites were identified in Ireland, Spain and Canada – and refused excavation by the respective governments, Crown of England and Catholic Church. Named as present in Ninth Circle activities were Pope Francis, former Pope Ratzinger;Anglican, United Church of Canada and Catholic Church officials including Cardinals; members of European royalty including Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip; officials of the Canadian, Australian, UK and US military and governments including the USA’s CIA, plus prominent government ministers, judges, politicians and businessmen from the US, Belgium, Holland, Canada, Australia, France, Ireland and the UK.

Teens were drugged, stripped naked, raped, hunted down in the woods and killed by European royals according to this week’s latest eyewitness to testify before the International Common Law Court of Justice in Brussels. The woman was the fourth eyewitness to give accounts about these human hunting parties of the global elite Ninth Circle Satanic Child Sacrifice Cult network. A former member of the Netherlands criminal drug syndicate known as Octopus testified that victims were obtained for these human hunting parties from juvenile detention centers in Belgium and Holland.

“In 2004 I was an involuntary witness to torture, rape and murder sessions of drugged children performed for a group of high ranked people of the Netherlands” stated a woman. “I was taken to a hunting party in Belgium close to Brussels where I saw two boys and a girl ages 14 to 16, hunted and killed by global elites. The human hunting party was heavily guarded by the Netherlands Royal Guards. I was told that King Albert of Belgium was present.”

Four eyewitnesses confirmed that as children and youths they were forced to attend human hunting parties where they and other children were raped, with some killed, and deceased boy’s penises were cut off. Allegedly there was a Dutch countryside palace where boys’ penises were displayed like trophies on a wall. Some hunting parties were hosted on the grounds of Belgium Queen Beatrix’s Palace.

Dutch therapist Toos Nijenhuis claimed that as a four year-old she was forced to witness murders of children that involved former Pope Ratzinger, a Dutch Catholic Cardinal, plus the father of Netherlands Belgium Queen Beatrix and Bilderberger Founder, Dutch Crown Prince Alfrink Bernhard. “I saw the former Pope Joseph Ratzinger murder a little girl″ another witness confirmed. “It was at a French chateau in the fall of 1987. It was ugly, horrible and didn’t happen just once. Ratzinger and Bernhard were some of the more prominent men who took part.”

In Ireland, Spain and Canada 34 child mass grave sites were discovered and appeared linked to Ninth Circle activities. The largest was the Mohawk Indian Residential School in Brantford Ontario where child remains were identified in 2008 before the Catholic Church, Canadian government and English Crown shut down the dig by professional archeologists. The 2013 ICLCJ Court had found Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip guilty for the Oct. 10 1964 disappearance of ten native children from the Catholic residential school in Kamloops British Columbia. In the first two weeks of the 2014 court witnesses identified Dutch and Belgian royal participants in the rape and killing of Mohawk children and newborns. Named were Bernhard and King Hendrick, consort to Queen Wilhelmina of Holland.

Alleged to be present during the human hunting parties were the late Prince Johan Friso and his wife Mabel Wisse Smit, former ministers, the top man of the Dutch army, the under secretary of the Raad Van State in the Netherlands, the Vice-Roy next to Queen Beatrix and other global business and political leaders including some from the US. “Surely the present King Willem Alexander and King Filip and their wives know about this abuse and murder of children” said one eyewitness.”They do nothing about it and likely are the ones to stop investigations and prosecutions.”

In January 2014 the brother of the king of Holland Prince Johan Friso passed away in a coma after these three Dutch-language websites shown here reached the internet. The websites revealed that Friso was at the human hunting and killing parties.”The story came on the internet after years of trying to move the policy and justice department in the Netherlands to act against the criminals,” an eyewitness said. “Nobody did anything to stop these criminals, probably because Queen Beatrix and King Albert likely interfered with the investigations.”

Human hunting parties were said to take place on the grounds of Belgium Queen Beatrix’s Palace in the Netherlands. Two witnesses have named former Pope Joseph Ratzinger and Queen Beatrix’s father the deceased Prince Alfrink Bernhard, as being present at child sacrifices. Both were said to be Nazi sympathizers.

The ICLCJ Court received a collection of Jesuit archival records about a child sacrificial cult known as the Knights of Darkness. In 1933 the Knights were established by the Catholic Jesuits and Nazi Waffen S.S. Division. The records showed Ratzinger was identified as a member of the Knights while working as an S.S. Chaplain’s assistant at the Ravensbruck Concentration Camp in Germany. The records also stated that Ratzinger participated in child sacrificial rites using kidnapped children from the camps or political prisoners.

Another court document called the Magisterial Privilege indicated child sacrifice was a regular occurrence at the Vatican. At the tender age of 12 “Svali” of San Diego County California claimed she was brought to catacombs beneath the Vatican to witness the sacrifice of a three year-old drugged boy. In this video her interviewer said that 24 years prior a “Maria” told him she witnessed another satanic child sacrifice rite in the same Vatican Catacombs.

Last week an Irish police investigator reported to the ICLCJ Court that the close to 800 babies buried in a Catholic Nun’s septic tank were dismembered, decapitated and in bits and pieces – signs that they could have been murdered in Satanic child sacrifice rites. In the last two months the ICLCJ Court has heard these heart-wrenching testimonies about the rape, torture and murder of children as recently as 2010 by Catholic leaders, European royal family members and other global elites. Murder sites of the Ninth Circle Satanic Child Sacrifice Cult were said to be in the catacombs of Catholic Cathedrals including the Vatican and on private estates, military establishments and groves in Belgium, Holland, Spain, Australia, France, England and the US.

The ICLCJ Court has been overwhelmed with newly discovered evidence and a number of new witnesses coming forward to testify about Ninth Circle Satanic Child Sacrifice Cult activities. They have uncovered Ninth Circle Satanic Cult member possible involvement in international child sacrifice, kidnapping, exploitation and drug rings. The five international judges and 27 jury members were expected to remain in session for at least a year due to the complexity of the cases.

Amnesty has been offered to citizens or employees of the Vatican, Crown of England, churches or governments willing to give sworn testimony or evidence that leads to the prosecution of these global elites suspected of committing crimes. Rewards up to 10,000 euros or around 13,660 dollars was available through the ICLCJ court.

The ICLCJ Court had over 450 Common Law Peace Officers in 13 countries, with 51 local chartered groups operating. Local organizing funds were available for common law groups that applied through the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State. To contact officers of the court or ITCCS Field Secretary Kevin Annett, email or call: itccscentral at gmail.com, info at iclcj dot com, admin at iclcj.com, hiddenfromhistory1 at gmail dot com, 250-591-4573 (Canada), or 386-323-5774 (USA)

About the Author
Judy Byington, MSW, LCSW, retired, author of “Twenty Two Faces: Inside the Extraordinary Life of Jenny Hill and Her Twenty Two Multiple Personalities” (www dot 22faces dot com) is a retired therapist, Public Speaker, Activist and investigative journalist whose articles on international child exploitation rings have been cited on over 3,000 websites. The ex-Supervisor, Alberta Mental Health and Director Provo Family Counseling Center is the CEO of Child Abuse Recovery and Speakers Bureau (www dot ChildAbuseRecovery dot com). If you have news tips about child abuse issues please email Judy info at 22faces dot com. You are invited to sign our petition to Congress for an investigation of the CIA mind control of children by clicking here
MySaskCan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2014, 04:03 PM   #2045
Pacal
Graduate Poster

WOW!! This reminds me the fantasies of the Early Modern Witch Hunters who were convinced that there was a vast, immensely powerful Satanic Anti-Church that existed in all levels of Society and governed a vast network of covens. All for the purpose of destroying society. They engaged in human sacrifice and breeding babies for sacrifice along with Satan worship.

This merely goes to show just how closely the modern SRA scare replicated the old Witchcraze.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2014, 07:56 PM   #2046
Orphia Nay
Tagger

What happened to the first eight circles?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2014, 01:24 AM   #2047
Tolls
Philosopher

"Last week an Irish police investigator reported to the ICLCJ Court that the close to 800 babies buried in a Catholic Nun’s septic tank were dismembered, decapitated and in bits and pieces..."
??

I think someone has stretched that report well beyond breaking point.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2014, 01:53 AM   #2048
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
"Last week an Irish police investigator reported to the ICLCJ Court that the close to 800 babies buried in a Catholic Nun’s septic tank were dismembered, decapitated and in bits and pieces..."
??

I think someone has stretched that report well beyond breaking point.

And the report was already wrong in the first place. Kevin Annett is so far beyond wrong it's incredible.

(For those not aware: It was a crypt (not a septic tank), the children were buried with care (not tossed in), and they died of disease as was typical in those days everywhere.)
Old 28th December 2014, 03:33 PM   #2049
videorob
New Blood

Hey, so I'm going to tear down my site to rebuild, and so links to my write ups are probably not going to function any more. I just wanted to give notice in case anyone wanted to make a copy of the stuff there first.
videorob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2014, 05:19 PM   #2050
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by videorob View Post
Hey, so I'm going to tear down my site to rebuild, and so links to my write ups are probably not going to function any more. I just wanted to give notice in case anyone wanted to make a copy of the stuff there first.
Thanks for the heads-up, Rob.

I've copied and pasted all the text to a Word doc.

Here's the link if anyone else wants to preserve it another way:
http://robsteffen.com/folio/the-situation/

Happy New Year, all!
Old 8th January 2015, 02:30 PM   #2051
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

They are still at it at Amazon Discussions for the Judy Byington book.
Old 8th January 2015, 04:53 PM   #2052
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Doug Mesner and Sarah Ponto Rivera have collaborated on a review of the state of DID at the moment:

Where the Witch-hunters are: pseudoscience and Mental Health

These two paragraphs deserves special notice:

Quote:
Some among the ISSTD utilize treatments insurance companies won’t even cover, leading therapists like Sebern Fisher (MA, BCN), to recommend creative billing. (“Stop recording…” Fisher demanded at the conference before confiding to the audience, “I bill psychotherapy code...I don’t want that on the record. ...There’s a code for biofeedback, assisted psychotherapy, which no insurance company acknowledges.")

Su Baker (MEd), also speaking at the recent ISSTD conference, recognizes that DID is quickly being recognized as a simple renaming of the debunked MPD, so she recommends easing new minds into the concept through courses in “complex trauma”. “We can’t use the word dissociation... So we use complex trauma knowing that down the road you lead people into the dissociative field and the way of thinking about that.”
Old 9th January 2015, 09:07 AM   #2053
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Boy, the psychiatric community really is divided on this issue! Regardless of what the current DMV says, a LOT of good minds therein operate under the principle of DID not existing independently of other more generalized delusional disorders. I received my undergraduate degree in psychology, and during my time in college I was always taught that DID was not a thing and was on the verge of being removed entirely the potential-diagnosis pool.

And yet it seems there are still diametrically-opposed groups out there pushing this diagnosis like it's the Eden of mental illnesses. WTF? What a schism. It's blowing my mind. And frightening me a little, to be honest.

It sounds like the insurance companies have grown wise to all the deception too. (That is their job!) It's disgusting that the proponents continue to cling to their pet illness, even pushing ways by which to defraud the insurance lords so they can continue pushing their woo indefinitely.

Oh boy.

Last edited by Butter!; 9th January 2015 at 09:09 AM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2015, 07:25 AM   #2054
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post

Interesting -- seems like the same themes are still in play:

* Dark hints that all one-star reviewers are probably the same person (the satanic Doug Mesner I suppose).

* Even darker hints that these reviewer(s) are trying to suppress the book because they don't want the truth to get out about their little hobby SRA.

* "Are you saying pedophilia doesn't exist?" type straw men. arguments

Ironically, it seems to me that most of the posts defending the book seem to come from a small core of supporters, while the one-star reviews come from a fairly broad spectrum of backgrounds and writing styles. Any commonality that I see comes from the fact that all critics can easily recognize the same major mistakes in Ms. Byington's book.

Last edited by Stellafane; 10th January 2015 at 07:37 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2015, 09:16 AM   #2055
FromBelgiumWithLove

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Boy, the psychiatric community really is divided on this issue! Regardless of what the current DMV says, a LOT of good minds therein operate under the principle of DID not existing independently of other more generalized delusional disorders. I received my undergraduate degree in psychology, and during my time in college I was always taught that DID was not a thing and was on the verge of being removed entirely the potential-diagnosis pool.
I assume you mean DSM, not DMV. And the odds of any diagnosis being removed from that book are pretty much nil as long as there are enough therapists out there who are earning a living from such a diagnosis. At best, they change the name of non-existent, sorry, "controversial", conditions. So Multiple Identity Disorder became Dissociative Identity Disorder, Gender Identity Disorder became Gender Dysphoria, etc. They didn't even dare to ditch the absurd pseudo-scientific category "neurosis", because a rebellion from the psychoanalytical side of the profession threatened. So in DSM-IV, they just stuck the word "neurosis", in brackets, behind the name of some diagnoses. That way, the psychoanalysts can keep billing for treating it.
FromBelgiumWithLove is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2015, 10:01 AM   #2056
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by FromBelgiumWithLove View Post
I assume you mean DSM, not DMV. And the odds of any diagnosis being removed from that book are pretty much nil as long as there are enough therapists out there who are earning a living from such a diagnosis. At best, they change the name of non-existent, sorry, "controversial", conditions. So Multiple Identity Disorder became Dissociative Identity Disorder, Gender Identity Disorder became Gender Dysphoria, etc. They didn't even dare to ditch the absurd pseudo-scientific category "neurosis", because a rebellion from the psychoanalytical side of the profession threatened. So in DSM-IV, they just stuck the word "neurosis", in brackets, behind the name of some diagnoses. That way, the psychoanalysts can keep billing for treating it.
Ha, typo. DSM V was what I meant to type. Teach me to be erudite and use Roman numerals, I guess.

As to the rest of your post, I truly don't think everyone in the psychiatric field is that unethical. However, I do think the people that are have the strongest hold over things and protest the loudest. So perhaps the end result is the same. But I still can't help bristling when people make sweeping generalizations about the moral bankruptcy of psychiatry at large, because it just isn't true.
Old 10th January 2015, 10:11 AM   #2057
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

<snip> But I still can't help bristling when people make sweeping generalizations about the moral bankruptcy of psychiatry at large, because it just isn't true.
You won't believe how I first parsed that sentence.
Old 10th January 2015, 10:22 AM   #2058
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
You won't believe how I first parsed that sentence.
How? I'm almost afraid to ask...

I don't seem to be typing very clearly today.

ETA - All I really meant was, I am interested in studying psychology because I want to help people with those kinds of problems (psychological, mental, emotional). Period. I believe there is much to be learned, and yes, many mistakes are made. Sometimes, they are avoidable. But I am far from the only person who goes into the field for the reasons I stated. Not all therapists are interested in hauling it in financially. Many (both the ethical and the non-ethical sorts) barely scrape by.

Essentially, there are bad, rotten, greedy apples in many professions, but they don't and mustn't be allowed to spoil the whole field. There's good to be done in the field of psychiatry, a great deal of it. Many people realize that and hold that as a primary interest and motivator. I hope to someday be a part of some of that significant good getting done (perhaps starting with banishing these dangerous-woo-peddling types, who are either ethics-free or in need of some kind of mental help themselves, in my humble opinion). Their ilk should not be licensed, practicing, distributing materials, or offering any kind of service under the umbrella of modern psychiatry. It's ********, and it must stop.

That's all I was trying to say.

Last edited by Butter!; 10th January 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2015, 04:49 PM   #2059
Orphia Nay
Tagger

As to the rest of your post, I truly don't think everyone in the psychiatric field is that unethical. However, I do think the people that are have the strongest hold over things and protest the loudest. So perhaps the end result is the same. But I still can't help bristling when people make sweeping generalizations about the moral bankruptcy of psychiatry at large, because it just isn't true.
Agreed. You might also know if it's common for psychology professionals to specialise in a particular type of disorder. It seems that the DID/FMS proponents think like hammers and see DID nails everywhere, and DID is their sole income, so DID's "authenticity" is their livelihood.

But my experience with psych professionals is they treat a wide range of patients, because that's how mental health is - 1% of people being ill with varying problems at any one time in an area local to the professional.

What I'm getting at is that DID proponents are more vocal because they have so much to lose. (Aside from having their own strongly-held delusions too.)
Old 14th January 2015, 09:58 AM   #2060
GuitKitty
Scholar

I'm reading through this whole thread (on page 33 at the moment), but I just had to share this. I just ordered a used copy of "Sybil Exposed" on Amazon, and the total with shipping was $6.66. Too funny not to share.

[/derail]
GuitKitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2015, 02:57 PM   #2061
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by GuitKitty View Post
I'm reading through this whole thread (on page 33 at the moment), but I just had to share this. I just ordered a used copy of "Sybil Exposed" on Amazon, and the total with shipping was $6.66. Too funny not to share.

[/derail]
a-HA!!! No doubt Dr. Greenbaum's personal copy!
Old 14th January 2015, 11:26 PM   #2062
Orphia Nay
Tagger

[/derail]
Thanks heaps for sharing that info! And thanks for reading! Despite being wrong about Dr Phil in my OP, I'm very, very fond of this thread. Hope you're finding it interesting.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:29 PM   #2063
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Thanks heaps for sharing that info! And thanks for reading! Despite being wrong about Dr Phil in my OP, I'm very, very fond of this thread. Hope you're finding it interesting.
I sure am! It's one of the first threads I ever checked out on here actually, outside the (shudder) conspiracy section where I lurked for ages before joining.

Thanks to everyone who keeps it going!
Old 15th January 2015, 06:49 AM   #2064
GuitKitty
Scholar

a-HA!!! No doubt Dr. Greenbaum's personal copy!
That's what I figured! I'm hoping to use it as my foot in the door in joining the Nazi Jew Illuminati!

I'm finding it very, very interesting. I was, luckily, not raised in church, so I wasn't even aware of the Satanic Panic until after it was all over. What a nightmare.

Hopefully I'll have more to contribute as I catch up with the thread, but it's a great source of information so far.
GuitKitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2015, 03:20 PM   #2065
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I sure am! It's one of the first threads I ever checked out on here actually, outside the (shudder) conspiracy section where I lurked for ages before joining.

Thanks to everyone who keeps it going!
Yes, this is a great thread, and I'm glad to see it still around. In a very small way, I actually felt like I participated in something important!

Last edited by Stellafane; 15th January 2015 at 03:21 PM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2015, 07:43 AM   #2066
GuitKitty
Scholar

Finally through the entire thread. It has been an enlightening, and frankly frightening, read. Good job to everyone who's still fighting the good fight out there.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:15 AM   #2067
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Finally through the entire thread. It has been an enlightening, and frankly frightening, read. Good job to everyone who's still fighting the good fight out there.
Many thanks for letting us know this thread's been appreciated.
Old 17th January 2015, 07:25 AM   #2068
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Yes, this is a great thread, and I'm glad to see it still around. In a very small way, I actually felt like I participated in something important!

+1
Old 18th January 2015, 03:08 PM   #2069
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I'm finding it very, very interesting. I was, luckily, not raised in church, so I wasn't even aware of the Satanic Panic until after it was all over. What a nightmare.
In retrospect, it's rather amazing that someone like Geraldo Rivera had a journalistic career after that. As far as I can tell the satanic panic never affected his reputation which only got slightly dinged after the big Al Capone's vault show fiasco and then, at some point years later, he found the Fox News Channel. Perfect fit!
Old 19th January 2015, 08:43 AM   #2070
GuitKitty
Scholar

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
In retrospect, it's rather amazing that someone like Geraldo Rivera had a journalistic career after that. As far as I can tell the satanic panic never affected his reputation which only got slightly dinged after the big Al Capone's vault show fiasco and then, at some point years later, he found the Fox News Channel. Perfect fit!
Did anyone involved in prosecuting the "perpetrators" of this abuse ever face any real consequences for this? A journalist not having their reputation dinged is one thing (no matter how much they deserve to be dinged), but aren't there people still in prison that were convicted of SRA?
Old 19th January 2015, 10:14 PM   #2071
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I think anything like that would require proving that the individuals involved were acting in bad faith and/or with criminal intent when they prosecuted or supported the SRA investigations. Barring that, civil liability is the best one can hope for (I seem to remember some of these accused SRA participants winning civil cases against their accusers or the government, but I cannot be sure of any specificities).
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:09 PM   #2072
Orphia Nay
Tagger

It's Multiple Personality Day on March 5, 2015.

That seems like a good day to spread some skepticism about multiple personalities.

Send/share an article or two about MPD/DID!

Excellent summary of the topic:
http://www.psmag.com/health-and-beha...l-health-93325

Interviews with MPD retractors:
http://www.dysgenics.com/2014/10/26/...l-part-1-of-5/
Old 5th March 2015, 07:17 PM   #2073
Orphia Nay
Tagger

via Imgflip Meme Maker
Old 19th March 2015, 10:37 PM   #2074
Dismember
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
Can she really offer workshops that count toward the CE requirements of licensed mental health professionals? Who is the body that accredits such garbage?
If anyone's still interested, the answer is the NASW. That's the organization who made the deranged Pat Goodwin (posting as JustAnotherSurvivor, along with her equally deranged partner in crime, David Shurter/LoessJedi), founder of Ivory Garden, a provider of CEUs. They're now gearing up for a second conference, scheduled again for this fall, with an even more ISSTD-affiliated presenters.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Last edited by Dismember; 20th March 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Dismember is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2015, 11:41 PM   #2075
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Not sure if it's still meant to be a secret, but in case it is, Felicity Lee IS Pat Goodwin.

https://www.facebook.com/igdid

http://www.igdid.com/

Old 20th March 2015, 12:46 AM   #2076
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The thread just got Goodwined.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2015, 08:13 AM   #2077
Dismember
Critical Thinker

Not sure if it's still meant to be a secret, but in case it is, Felicity Lee IS Pat Goodwin.
Thank you, Orphia! She did go public with it on Amazon and elsewhere, as you've shown here. On Amazon, she made the announcement while posting as "JustAnotherSurvivor", so she's identified both of her aliases. (I suppose she could always go back to posting as "Yogurt Lover" if she wanted to claim plausible deniability...)

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
The thread just got Goodwined.
Old 20th March 2015, 09:06 AM   #2078
Dismember
Critical Thinker

I received my undergraduate degree in psychology, and during my time in college I was always taught that DID was not a thing and was on the verge of being removed entirely the potential-diagnosis pool.

And yet it seems there are still diametrically-opposed groups out there pushing this diagnosis like it's the Eden of mental illnesses. WTF? What a schism. It's blowing my mind. And frightening me a little, to be honest.
This is an important point, isissxn. For a very long time, the prevailing attitude you experienced was, more or less, accurate. Unfortunately, a core group of therapists never really stopped practicing those harmful techniques. The terminology has been revamped and updated, the techniques themselves and the therapeutic models that utilize them have been tweaked a bit, renamed, and are coming back into vogue.

Also, there are still people who promote DID and the SRA conspiracy at universities. Alliant University in California is home to the "perpetually panic-stricken" Randy Noblitt, who still currently teaches a course on Ritual Abuse.

Somehow RMT has not only managed to stick around, it's constantly on the verge of becoming mainstream again. I think part of the problem might be that a lot of people in academia who might have some influence still think it's not done anymore, that DID is diagnosed rarely, only by a handful of quacks, and not worth worrying about. In the meantime, therapists are awarded Continuing Education Credits from places like the Ivory Garden DID conference, for attending workshops and presentations by the worst of the conspiracy pushers; they get CEUs for learning therapeutic models like Internal Family Systems (the primary model used at the now-notorious Castlewood Treatment Center), etc.

Last edited by Dismember; 20th March 2015 at 09:41 AM.
Dismember is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2015, 09:39 AM   #2079
Dismember
Critical Thinker

A review: Lifespan Integration

Lifespan Integration is an example of one of the newer Repressed/Recovered Memory therapeutic models.

"LI is body-based, and combines active imagination, the juxtaposition of ego states in time, and a visual time line of memories to facilitate neural integration and rapid healing. During the integrating phase of the protocol, the client ‘views’ a memory image for each year of his or her life. The Lifespan Integration technique causes memories to surface spontaneously, and because of how memories are held neurologically, each memory which surfaces is related to the emotional theme or issue being targeted. [...]

Excerpt of a client's review of LI therapy and the clinician who practiced it:

Originally Posted by Andrea B.
* Instead of focusing on my real trauma, the thing that happened when I was 19, she was convinced that I had been severely abused as a child. Even though I wasn't. There is no evidence in my past to support that.

*She used something called Lifespan Integration Therapy. It caused me a lot of problems. HOWEVER, if you do the research, you find that Lifespan Integration Therapy claims that it can UNCOVER REPRESSED MEMORIES and IT HAS NEVER BEEN EXTENSIVELY RESEARCHED IN A RESEARCH STUDY!!!

Therapists like to advertise Lifespan Integration Therapy as being "cutting edge" because IT HAS ONLY BEEN AROUND FOR ABOUT 5YRS. FROM WHAT I HAVE FOUND. AND NEVER EXTENSIVELY STUDIED!! It is possible that Lifespan Integration can help people when used properly. It actually helped me that first few times we did it. OH!! and then, SHE BLAMED ME for it suddenly not being successful. Also, therapists only have to attend a short workshop in order to be able to use Lifespan Integration.
Old 20th March 2015, 02:57 PM   #2080
Son of Inigo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Dismember View Post
Lifespan Integration is an example of one of the newer Repressed/Recovered Memory therapeutic models.

"LI is body-based, and combines active imagination, the juxtaposition of ego states in time, and a visual time line of memories to facilitate neural integration and rapid healing. During the integrating phase of the protocol, the client ‘views’ a memory image for each year of his or her life. The Lifespan Integration technique causes memories to surface spontaneously, and because of how memories are held neurologically, each memory which surfaces is related to the emotional theme or issue being targeted. [...]

Excerpt of a client's review of LI therapy and the clinician who practiced it:
*Removed your hilites, and added mine

So just how are memories held neurologically? I mean, how does it work? And why is the way they are neurologically held important? If they were held any other way, would LI still work, or is it only because memories are held neurologically they way they are that LI is able to work?

Son of Inigo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal