ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th October 2018, 07:42 AM   #1
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nobel Peace Prize 2018 for Trump

Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for 2018.
After all, he hasn't started WW3 yet.
But he might if he doesn't get it.
Old 4th October 2018, 07:47 AM   #2
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

He wouldn't be the worst choice in the history of the prize. Nobel Peace Prize has thoroughly discredited itself numerous times throughout it's history.
Old 4th October 2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

"This must be what going mad feels like."

- Simon Tam, Jaynestown
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:21 AM   #4
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Alas:

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2018 to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict. "

https://twitter.com/NobelPrize/statu...35860607221760
Old 5th October 2018, 02:24 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If Trump starts a war with China, it will be the Norwegian's fault.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 5th October 2018 at 02:42 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:38 AM   #6
Chanakya

Can't they at least give him an Ig Nobel?

Although if Obama could have got it, why not Trump? The regular one, I mean?

How about they make Obama's Nobel a rotating award, that every US Prez gets to keep on their desk? After all the only thing he did to deserve it was to become the US Prez.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:48 AM   #7
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of us would lobby for him to get another one if he came back.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:56 AM   #8
Chanakya

That doesn't make sense. If instead you could somehow lobby for Trump to get it, and then offered it to Trump if he walked away, then, being Trump, he just might. After all the Nobel's for keeps.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 03:02 AM   #9
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Be careful what you wish for
Old 5th October 2018, 03:16 AM   #10
Chanakya

Makes no difference to me, personally. (Well it does, in the larger scheme of things, but that apart.)

Me, I prefer laughing to not laughing. W was always good for the lulz. And even W was a rank amateur next to Trump, when it comes to comedy. Trump is a comedian's wet dream.

I don't wish for Trump to go away, at all.

Do they give out Peace Ig Nobels at all? Be a lovely gag if they gave him one, and no one pointed out the difference to him. I can already picture his acceptance speech, sorry, acceptance tweet.
Old 5th October 2018, 04:13 AM   #11
Tommok
Student

He is going to put a counterfeit Nobel Peace Price on Air Force One and then keep bragging about how he got the price.

I mean, who cares about what is true anymore?
Tommok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 05:23 AM   #12
Chanakya

Just looked it up on wiki. Yep, they do give out Ig Nobels in the Peace category as well.

Here's what they intend the Igs to stand for : "first make people laugh, and then make them think". That's one out of two right there. Then there's this : "[t]he prizes are intended to celebrate the unusual ...". I mean, I don't see how they can NOT give it to the man.

Incidentally, I suppose this is one thread where everyone, irrespective of (US) political leanings, can sit back and have a nice bipartisan/nonpartisan laugh. If Trump's Nobel (and/or Ig Nobel) is hilarious, then Obama's was pathetic.
Old 5th October 2018, 06:07 AM   #13
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Inb4 butthurt trumpkins.

They seemed to think he had an actual chance to win for some reason.
Old 5th October 2018, 06:46 AM   #14
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Give him the vacant literature prize but don't tell him why. The best part will be seeing him try to explain this to his trumpkins. Also his attempts to spell the word "literature" in tweets and speak it out loud. LOL
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 06:57 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tommok View Post
He is going to put a counterfeit Nobel Peace Price on Air Force One and then keep bragging about how he got the price.

I mean, who cares about what is true anymore?
He'll probably try to buy one... with someone else's money.
Old 5th October 2018, 07:01 AM   #16
Chanakya

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Give him the vacant literature prize but don't tell him why. The best part will be seeing him try to explain this to his trumpkins. Also his attempts to spell the word "literature" in tweets and speak it out loud. LOL

"Vacant-literature" prize, eh? That's rich! Would tweets qualify? Difficult to find any US-Prez 'literature', or for that matter any literature, that's any more "vacant"!

Incidentally : Just saw this random photo of Trump getting of his AFOne, with toilet paper sticking to his shoes. He's an old man, is Trump, probably scared at some level of the demands he finds being made of him (hence the constant bluster). All his very blatant flaws and failings notwithstanding, it seems just a bit cruel to laugh at the poor man. (And I'm speaking of myself. Simply seeing and hearing him speak is something I find hilarious. And that probably isn't very kind!)
Old 5th October 2018, 07:05 AM   #17
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He'll probably try to buy one... with someone else's money.
Recently diseased physicist Leon Lederman (who was head of the Fermi National Accelerator Lab and coined the term "The God Particle") had to sell his Nobel Prize in Physics, awarded to him in 1988, in 2015 to pay for his medical bills. An anonymous buyer purchased it for 765,000 US dollars.

Maybe Trump has it.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 5th October 2018 at 07:08 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 07:08 AM   #18
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Recently diseased physicist Leon Lederman (who was head of the Fermi National Accelerator Lab and coined the term "The God Particle") had to sell his Nobel Prize in Physics, awarded to him in 1988, in 2015 to pay for his medical bills. An anonymous buyer purchased it for 765,000 US dollars.

Maybe Trump has it.
Trump doesn't have that kind of money.
Old 5th October 2018, 07:09 AM   #19
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump doesn't have that kind of money.
Perhaps he could get his lawyer to pay for it?
Old 5th October 2018, 02:44 PM   #20
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Perhaps he could get his lawyer to pay for it?
Sorry, but those funds can only be allocated to traitorous ratfinking vaginas in times of need.... like elections n' stuff.
Old 5th October 2018, 10:56 PM   #21
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Although if Obama could have got it, why not Trump?
Not being George W. Bush hasn't counted as an accomplishment after 2009.
Old 6th October 2018, 02:33 AM   #22
Chanakya

W's accomplishment (apart from somehow getting elected) was his wonderful (if unintentional) comic genius. To look at his face was to laugh. And to have him open his mouth was to ROFL away. No mean bar, that.

And Trump clears that bar with ease. His (unintentional) comic genius puts even W to shame.

Spreading all this laughter, if not quite cheer, I'd say that's a very remarkable accomplishment.

Last edited by Chanakya; 6th October 2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 8th October 2018, 04:34 AM   #23
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I'd be in favor of awarding the prize to GW if he were to take over the presidency tomorrow.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 04:44 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously most of the Nobel voters were illegal aliens. As for the supposed winner, lock her up! (Him, too.)
Old 8th October 2018, 05:58 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

"Vacant-literature" prize, eh? That's rich! Would tweets qualify? Difficult to find any US-Prez 'literature', or for that matter any literature, that's any more "vacant"!
Qualification for the literature prize won't matter. He doesn't qualify to be president, or even a billionaire executive, either. So why concern ourselves about his qualifications for a Nobel, literature or otherwise. He just wants one because...he wants one!

Quote:
Incidentally : Just saw this random photo of Trump getting of his AFOne, with toilet paper sticking to his shoes. He's an old man, is Trump, probably scared at some level of the demands he finds being made of him (hence the constant bluster). All his very blatant flaws and failings notwithstanding, it seems just a bit cruel to laugh at the poor man. (And I'm speaking of myself. Simply seeing and hearing him speak is something I find hilarious. And that probably isn't very kind!)
Donny has long since lost any sympathy from me. He is, without doubt, old and totally addled. If he were your grandad you would have him "put in permanent care". But he remains a cruel, narcissistic and misogynist bully and he occupies the Oval Office. So while that remains the case, he can get ******.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 06:28 PM   #26
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Recently diseased physicist Leon Lederman
What disease did he get, and who gave it to him?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 06:24 AM   #27
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Maybe Trump has it.
Easy way to tell, did the cheque clear?
Old 9th October 2018, 10:47 AM   #28
CORed
Philosopher

Can't they at least give him an Ig Nobel?

Although if Obama could have got it, why not Trump? The regular one, I mean?

How about they make Obama's Nobel a rotating award, that every US Prez gets to keep on their desk? After all the only thing he did to deserve it was to become the US Prez.
Considering that Obama got the Peace Prize when he had been President for like two minutes, the only reason I could ever figure he got it was for being a POTUS not named George W. Bush. I kind of wonder if the Nobel Prize committee was aware that W wasn't actually eligible to serve another term.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 04:33 PM   #29
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It seems clear that the Committee was trying to say something by giving the award to two people who are most definitely anti-pussy grabbing. Someone will need to explain that to our president as he isn't smart enough to understand anything not spelled out and explicitly obvious. We apologize for the stupidity of our president and will attempt to elect a new one in 2020 who can at least grasp some simple concepts.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 06:24 PM   #30
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If Trump starts a war with China, it will be the Norwegian's fault.
Aw...
Old 10th October 2018, 12:32 AM   #31
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Aw...
We still like you...provided you keep your hearing fermented in sour cream to yourself. Export that in any greater numbers and we'll have words.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:43 AM   #32
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
keep your hearing fermented in sour cream
I don't... how do you... it...
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 05:07 AM   #33
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Herring.

Get a fish in yer ear!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics