ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th September 2018, 02:22 AM   #41
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
At school in England I used to make a point of only singing selected words in the national anthem, being as I didnít believe in god nor did I want the queen to be saved.

Of course, being a citizen of two countries with which England (and later the UK) had spent centuries arguing militarily had coloured my opinions from an early age.
When did you ever sing it at school in England? I can never remember singing it at all (not that I would have done - as my infant school music teacher told me - stand at the back and open and close your mouth no one wants to hear your singing - ah the good old days when we were told the truth! ).

Indeed the only time I recall us having anything to do with the national anthem is that it was part of our English lit 16+ exam (16+ were experimental replacements for 'O' levels and CSEs , a combined 'O' & CSE course and exam, you either ended up with an O level or a CSE - GCSEs were pretty much based on them).

I'd love to see an actual test on people in the UK to see who knows the words to the first never mind second verse. I'd be truly astonished if it was more than 10% who knew the entire first verse.
Old 28th September 2018, 03:28 AM   #42
Lothian
should be banned

Out of tradition and respect, when the Australian national anthem comes on I stand on my head.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 03:30 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Out of tradition and respect, when the Australian national anthem comes on I stand on my head.
I put a pinny on and put a rabbit in the pouch and hop around.
Old 28th September 2018, 03:43 AM   #44
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I put a pinny on and put a rabbit in the pouch and hop around.
Yeah, but that's not only when the Australian national anthem is played, is it?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 03:50 AM   #45
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
When did you ever sing it at school in England
School speech day and prizegiving and various events like that. It was a very traditional (state) grammar school with military cadets and a school song in Latin that I can still sing in its entirety, 30 years on.
Old 28th September 2018, 03:50 AM   #46
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Australia should just sent these unpatriotic families back to where they came from ...
... which I assume is Britain?
Old 5th October 2018, 01:00 AM   #47
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As for the schoolgirl, I donít think itís correct that the anthem is only for the (diminishing) white population at all. But I couldnít care less about her standing or not. I donít see her as particularly courageous, rather as showing off.
Care to back up the highlighted?

From my calculations, while the percentage of whites might be dropping (it is actually impossible to tell because the Australian census doesn't ask ethnicity any more) estimates range from 70-90% whites, and even at the lowest of those, the number of whites has increased by over 6 million since 1976.

Meanwhile, Australia Aboriginals are still at just two thirds the total number that there were prior to Cook's rediscovering in 1770!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 03:35 AM   #48
Dragon
Graduate Poster

"God Save the Queen" is more than a bit jingoistic and, frankly, a dirge.
"Les Marseillaise" is great, but quite bloodthirsty.

There is a national anthem from the UK that people stand for with pride and because they want to sing it -

https://youtu.be/AM4mIlYKG9s

I can only remember it being played and sung on special occasions at school, such as the St David's Day Eisteddfod.

Nevertheless, even as a monoglot living in London, I can still sing it in Welsh.

Last edited by Dragon; 6th October 2018 at 03:38 AM.
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 06:26 AM   #49
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Contortionist? Or do you let other people stand on your head too.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 04:10 PM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Contortionist? Or do you let other people stand on your head too.
'Cause upside-down jokes are always funny, no matter how often we hear them. In fact, the more often, the funnier they get. Keep 'em coming.
Old 8th October 2018, 08:41 PM   #51
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
'Cause upside-down jokes are always funny, no matter how often we hear them. In fact, the more often, the funnier they get. Keep 'em coming.
Can we do unwashed Pom jokes too? And warm beer?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:23 PM   #52
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Ours is pants. It requires me to sing about two things I don't believe in and it's in a lousy time signature and is not, in the least, rousing.

The French one's brilliant. Even the song the Irish sing before rugby (Ireeeeland, IREEELAND etc.) is uplifting. Ours is just a depressing genuflection towards the person with the most objectionable lineage.
I can just about bring myself to sung two lines
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics