ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 22nd October 2018, 12:38 PM   #3001
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
How very dare you imply that xenophobia had any part in the Brexit vote.

I'm getting vapours just thinking about it.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2018, 03:29 PM   #3002
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Leave HQ's assessment of the WTO option link

That's a relatively sobering article. Not least because it's coming from an organization which has been campaigning for leaving the E.U. for the last three years.

Of course, none of that will matter to the hard-core hard brexiteers, since it says things they don't want to hear.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:36 AM   #3003
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Economists for Free Trade publish a report showing the benefits of Brexit.

As it claims there are more people working in and for the fishing industry than in and for the car making industry I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Quote:
Our report forecasts huge economic gains in the event that Britain leaves the EU under a Super Canada or World Trade Deal. Aided by Brexit gains, it says that by 2025 there could be a dividend of £65 billion per annum for the Treasury to spend.
https://www.economistsforfreetrade.c...-20-Oct-18.pdf

Perhaps they mean ‘after Brexit, the auto industry will employ fewer people than the fishing industry’,

What is a 'World Trade Deal'?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 23rd October 2018 at 02:38 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:42 AM   #3004
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

As it claims there are more people working in and for the fishing industry than in and for the car making industry I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Perhaps they mean ‘after Brexit, the auto industry will employ fewer people than the fishing industry’,

Economists for free trade is that Rees-Mogg character's group, isn't it? Don't think they employ many economists.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:46 AM   #3005
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they included fish and chip shops in their employee count but forgot about Sub contractors, Car transporters dealerships and car salesmen?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:48 AM   #3006
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Figures are about 30k fishing + processing and car manufacturing 185k with 850k in wider industry.

It also mentions in the event of 'no deal' planes and air travel will not be impacted as the “deal” only refers to trade.
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:08 AM   #3007
catsmate
No longer the 1

I assume they mean by 'World Trade Deal' compliance with the minimum WTO criteria.
Anyway it's more of Minford's ramblings.

ETA: Also how can anyone with a pretence to a functional brain conflate "Super Canada" with WTO?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:11 AM   #3008
Wudang
BOFH

They have one economist.
Quote:

https://twitter.com/StevePeers/statu...73527791509504

Originally Posted by Steve Peers
There's no such thing as a "World Trade Deal". You're using the phrase to describe the *absence* of a free trade agreement. This is profoundly misleading and unprofessional.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:16 AM   #3009
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Economists for free trade is that Rees-Mogg character's group, isn't it? Don't think they employ many economists.
Just one, Patrick Minford, an old eurosceptic Thatcherite and part of the Liverpool Model group. A lone crank basically.
He was the "brains" behind last years study on how wonderful Brexit would be, the one that was debunked as "doubly misleading". Alan Winters described it as "just plain wrong,"
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:44 AM   #3010
Mid
Graduate Poster

No I'm sure there's more than one of them. Gerard Lyons, B. Johnson's old economic advisory, used to be one of them so there should be at least two, unless he's left them. And I think there may be a couple more.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:54 AM   #3011
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
No I'm sure there's more than one of them. Gerard Lyons, B. Johnson's old economic advisory, used to be one of them so there should be at least two, unless he's left them. And I think there may be a couple more.
You seem to be right. I was going from memory of their public launch which had 2 presiding, one of whom started proceedings by announcing he was "not an economist". Hilarity ensued.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:08 AM   #3012
Degeneve
Muse

Quote:
Our report forecasts huge economic gains in the event that Britain leaves the EU under Our report forecasts huge economic gains in the event that Britain leaves the EU under a Super Canada or World Trade Deal. Aided by Brexit gains, it says that by 2025 there could be a dividend of £65 billion per annum for the Treasury to spend.. Aided by Brexit gains, it says that by 2025 there could be a dividend of £65 billion per annum for the Treasury to spend.
Everything is in the 3 words I have put in bold.

Whatever a "Super Canada or World Trade Deal" might mean what are the chances one of these deals could be concluded with anyone before 2025 or even 2022.

When did the Foreign Office negotiate a trade deal for the last time? 40 years? The first obstacle they will meet on their way is their own lack of experience in that field.
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:17 AM   #3013
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

My report forecasts that everyone will get a pony in the event that Britain leaves the EU under under a Super Canada or World Trade Deal.

Mine at least explains why we will be awash with pony excrement by the year 2025.
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:36 AM   #3014
Mid
Graduate Poster

You seem to be right. I was going from memory of their public launch which had 2 presiding, one of whom started proceedings by announcing he was "not an economist". Hilarity ensued.
Well there's still not many of them and their economics is ropey. Although at least at one point they were fairly honest that their policies would lead to the complete deindustrialisation of the UK. Not sure if they're still pointing that out as I haven't bothered reading any of their stuff since the referendum
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:17 AM   #3015
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
My report forecasts that everyone will get a pony ...
And there won't be any regulation preventing it from being labelled "beef".
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:26 AM   #3016
apollo16uvc
Student

Werd there no concrete plans before the leave/stay vote?
apollo16uvc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:05 AM   #3017
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by apollo16uvc View Post
Werd there no concrete plans before the leave/stay vote?
Not for leaving, no.
Which is why we are where we are.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:09 AM   #3018
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Not for leaving, no.
Which is why we are where we are.
Plans and goals are for Remoaners!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:29 AM   #3019
Tolls
Illuminator

Creating a plan that isn't full of holes might involve experts, and as we know, we don't need no stinking experts!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:35 AM   #3020
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

And actual planning might lead to the conclusion that post-Brexit Britain might be worse off than at present, which would simply be pandering to Project Fear. But if nobody ever jumped off a cliff until they had a plan on how to land safely at the bottom, then who would ever jump off a cliff?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:57 AM   #3021
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Leave campaigner James Dyson says Brexit is fine for car manufacturers, and plans to make his own electric cars in Wiltshire.

Then he changes his mind, and builds it in Singapore.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:20 AM   #3022
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

My report forecasts that everyone will get a pony in the event that Britain leaves the EU ...
Meh. Make it 'alf a monkey and I'll think about it.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:47 AM   #3023
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
That man is such an arse...
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:49 AM   #3024
ceptimus
puzzler

Last time I checked, Singapore isn't in the EU. So this hardly seems Brexit related.
ceptimus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:54 AM   #3025
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Last time I checked, Singapore isn't in the EU. So this hardly seems Brexit related.
So why did he change his mind?
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:23 AM   #3026
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps that is exactly the point. He finally had time to think about it and realized that Brexit was not good for a British owned car manufacturing plant in either the UK or in the EU. That seems to make sense.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:19 AM   #3027
Information Analyst
Philosopher

We can always count on a selfish **** to behave like a selfish ****, especially on a Tuesday.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 23rd October 2018 at 10:21 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:16 AM   #3028
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
So why did he change his mind?
I don't think he did. Hullavington was the R&D centre, he's more interested in China/Japan than the UK as they buy into his ******** marketing.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:44 AM   #3029
ceptimus
puzzler

Most Dyson products seem ludicrously overpriced to me. I suppose he must think that he can sell such overpriced 'designer label' stuff better in Asia, and it's probably also closer to where he will source a lot of the parts to build the car.

That's if it ever actually happens - I don't know how realistic his production targets and dates are.
ceptimus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:59 AM   #3030
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That's a relatively sobering article. Not least because it's coming from an organization which has been campaigning for leaving the E.U. for the last three years.

Of course, none of that will matter to the hard-core hard brexiteers, since it says things they don't want to hear.
Some dedicated, long-term brexiteers favored the Norway option but it's in the nature of revolutions that the radicals win out.

I think the UK is simply on a kind of emotional auto-pilot. Bashing the EU has worked for selling papers and getting votes. Lots of people like to hear it. Of course, that wouldn't change with the Brexit vote.
So the EU still gets bashed with made-up non-sense. There is no rational thought behind the course that the UK is taking.
I wonder, once Brexit has hit the wall, will the adults be put in charge or will they simply reset the auto-pilot.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:00 PM   #3031
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

I suppose he must think that he can sell such overpriced 'designer label' stuff better in Asia, and it's probably also closer to where he will source a lot of the parts to build the car.
The importance of supply chains and being close to one's markets... One hears a lot about that lately.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:26 PM   #3032
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Singapore just signed a trade deal with the EU.
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:20 PM   #3033
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Taking control of your borders doesn't mean the jobs can't leave.

Even after you figure out the Ireland issue, I mean. :9
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:31 AM   #3034
Wudang
BOFH

Singapore just signed a trade deal with the EU.
Which includes "Motor Vehicles and Parts thereof" (Annex 2-B) .
Old 24th October 2018, 01:49 AM   #3035
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Which includes "Motor Vehicles and Parts thereof" (Annex 2-B) .
That will be a relief for Dyson.
Old 24th October 2018, 03:05 AM   #3036
ceptimus
puzzler

Shows how vital such trade deals are that they've only just signed the deal. I wonder how the EU managed to trade with Singapore before?

I flew out to Singapore myself a couple of times about fifteen years ago to assist with the installation of some measuring equipment at some pharmaceutical factories. I had no idea whether or not the EU had a trade deal in place, and it didn't seem to matter.
Old 24th October 2018, 03:08 AM   #3037
catsmate
No longer the 1

Changing from planning to manufacture in the UK to Singapore by a major Leave supporter isn't relevant?
Old 24th October 2018, 03:09 AM   #3038
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I don't think he did. Hullavington was the R&D centre, he's more interested in China/Japan than the UK as they buy into his ******** marketing.
UKians won't able to afford them soon. More will there be functional roads or electricity supplies.
Old 24th October 2018, 03:41 AM   #3039
Lothian
should be banned

That will be a relief for Dyson.
It will mean cars go to the EU free of taxes. After a hard brexit there will be a 20% tariff on cars to the UK. He realises that the EU is far more important than the UK and the priority is the bigger market.
Watch other businesses follow suit.

Last edited by Lothian; 24th October 2018 at 04:18 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 03:50 AM   #3040
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
UKians won't able to afford them soon. More will there be functional roads or electricity supplies.
Nonsense - typical remoaner scare story - Peugeot has already announced the production of their 100% renewable energy model they'll be producing in the UK post Brexit.

Lumberjacks are gearing up now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logburner.jpg (56.8 KB, 8 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics