ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 28th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #681
Thor 2
Illuminator

Their lining up against Tony Abbott.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...ingah/10755608

Quote:
Barrister and former Olympic Skier Zali Steggall is the latest of several high-profile independent candidates to announce they will run in Tony Abbott's blue-ribbon seat ó but how likely is it she will win?

Of course Tony has his suppository mind so will be difficult to beat.
Old 28th January 2019, 04:13 PM   #682
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

When I drove for Uber, there were always a couple of suburbs with their street lights off. Different ones each night, but the lights were always off somewhere.
Old 28th January 2019, 07:39 PM   #683
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Their lining up against Tony Abbott.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...ingah/10755608

Of course Tony has his suppository mind so will be difficult to beat.
Sorry..."they're" </pedant>
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #684
Thor 2
Illuminator

For the entertainment of those that may have missed it at the time:

https://www.google.com/search?source...60.bFyoWi4z_b4

Last edited by Thor 2; 29th January 2019 at 04:37 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 05:16 PM   #685
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Women are flipping the script on Australian politics in 2019

Quote:
While the Liberal party ties itself in knots over how to get more women into Parliament, a female rebellion is building across the country. Women are determining the circumstances in which they enter and leave the Parliament outside of the traditional benchmarks that have defined the rules of admission.

The rise of impressive female independent candidates is the result of several factors, but the Coalition's failure to adequately deal with its woeful numbers of women is propelling independent women to step forward in a perfect political storm.

The independent women don't need quotas or to participate in circular arguments about whether they have "merit" to receive a political platform, and they provide a dangerous threat because they shine a blinding light on the lack of women on the Government side.

Rather than wait in line, they have preselected themselves, and threaten to disrupt the big-party system, and by putting their hands up they could force change from the outside because mainstream political parties that don't reflect their voters face an existential threat.
Good. We need more women in charge.
Old 29th January 2019, 05:21 PM   #686
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

For the entertainment of those that may have missed it at the time:

https://www.google.com/search?source...60.bFyoWi4z_b4
Given that Tony was supposedly the pick of the crop, that's not what I would call "entertaining". More like extraordinarily horrifyingly scary. Just so you know.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 10:16 PM   #687
Thor 2
Illuminator

Oh dear, now the LNP have expelled the North Queensland MP Jason Costigan from the party thus making him an independent. There are claims he put his arms around some bikini clad girls and also partially bared his chest on TV.

He says they were out to get him because he said nasty stuff about Scomo.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...tigan/10770126
Old 31st January 2019, 10:26 PM   #688
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Oh dear, now the LNP have expelled the North Queensland MP Jason Costigan from the party thus making him an independent. There are claims he put his arms around some bikini clad girls and also partially bared his chest on TV.

Then how on Earth does Tony Abbott still stay on? Those red budgie-smugglers are an insult to everybody!
Old 1st February 2019, 12:18 AM   #689
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Then how on Earth does Tony Abbott still stay on? Those red budgie-smugglers are an insult to everybody!
He is a state MP, not a federal MP. Hence there are different people judging Abbott and Costigan. If he did say nasty things about the Federal leader himself (rather than disagree with the policies) than I think that would be justification in giving him the sack.

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/me...?ID=3824095407
Old 1st February 2019, 03:07 PM   #690
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
He is a state MP, not a federal MP. Hence there are different people judging Abbott and Costigan. If he did say nasty things about the Federal leader himself (rather than disagree with the policies) than I think that would be justification in giving him the sack.

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/me...?ID=3824095407

Yes the federal guy is George Christensen - another conservative God botherer. Real conservative heartland this is, where George can get away with adverse comments about Jews, gays and women, and not cause a ripple.
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:49 AM   #691
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Looks like god's on Morrison's side, as you'd expect.

There's nothing like a major disaster for keeping the status quo, and it allows the pointy-heads to spend lots of time on prime time, looking concerned and helpful, and the QLD floods might just give Scotty a boost.

Interesting couple of months coming up over your side.
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:38 AM   #692
Robin
Philosopher

I notice he accidentally campaigned against himself today at the Cole Classic.

That's right up there with the onion.

Sent from my Moto C using Tapatalk
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:50 AM   #693
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I notice he accidentally campaigned against himself today at the Cole Classic.

That's right up there with the onion.

Sent from my Moto C using Tapatalk
Do tell more please? Do you see it or read about it? Any links?

This does not mention any mistakes he made.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...03-p50veh.html
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:59 AM   #694
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Looks like god's on Morrison's side, as you'd expect.

There's nothing like a major disaster for keeping the status quo, and it allows the pointy-heads to spend lots of time on prime time, looking concerned and helpful, and the QLD floods might just give Scotty a boost.

Interesting couple of months coming up over your side.
As floods go, this is a bit meh. Iím flying to Townsville tomorrow and the airport and road to my hotel are both open.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:34 PM   #695
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That's actually good to know - it's being sold as Floodmageddon over here.

Then again, the same media outlets were screaming last week about a heatwave in NZ that consisted of a couple of places that got a bit warmer than usual.
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:33 PM   #696
Thor 2
Illuminator

I am appalled.

In the wake of the recent defection of the Saudi teenage girl where Australia dragged its heels and the Canadians came to the rescue, we now here that our border forces are stopping Saudi women from entering the country, if they "suspect" they going to seek asylum.

We know enough about Saudi society that we can assume it's a given that any women there can be regarded as a legitimate refugee if she wants to flee the country.

We are turning our backs on human rights for the sake of diplomacy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...alone/10768036

Quote:
Witnesses and activists have accused Australian Border Force officers of targeting Saudi Arabian women whom they suspect will apply for asylum and blocking them from entering the country when they arrive at Australian airports.

Key points

Australian Border Force officers are accused of targeting Saudi women they suspect will apply for asylum.
Activists say some Saudi women have been questioned about why they are travelling without a male guardian.
At least 80 Saudi women have sought asylum in Australia in recent years.
Four Corners has evidence of at least two young Saudi women who arrived at Sydney Airport in the past two years but were turned back after making their asylum claims clear to Australian officials.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:01 PM   #697
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

That's actually good to know - it's being sold as Floodmageddon over here.

Then again, the same media outlets were screaming last week about a heatwave in NZ that consisted of a couple of places that got a bit warmer than usual.
Whoops, have to swallow my words. In Brisbane, with an 8.50am and an 11.45 flight both cancelled. Virgin booked me into a 2.00pm flight. I respectively declined because, a) it will almost certainly be cancelled, b) I will be too late to do what I need to do and c) if I did get there, Iím confident Iíll be stranded. Townsville is not a place to be stranded in.

Anyway, it now seems like a biblical flood. Iíve re-booked in two weeks time. Hopefully the flood abates.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 12:06 AM   #698
Robin
Philosopher

Do tell more please? Do you see it or read about it? Any links?

This does not mention any mistakes he made.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...03-p50veh.html
https://www.news.com.au/technology/o...14fbdce12600d8
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 02:31 AM   #699
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Whoops, have to swallow my words. In Brisbane, with an 8.50am and an 11.45 flight both cancelled. Virgin booked me into a 2.00pm flight. I respectively declined because, a) it will almost certainly be cancelled, b) I will be too late to do what I need to do and c) if I did get there, Iím confident Iíll be stranded. Townsville is not a place to be stranded in.

Anyway, it now seems like a biblical flood. Iíve re-booked in two weeks time. Hopefully the flood abates.
Hey! You can't eat crow, that's my job.

(This is an obscure Australian joke, sorry 'bout that.)
Old 4th February 2019, 03:42 PM   #700
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

We are turning our backs on human rights ....
Different reason, but the same tune Aussie's been playing for decades now.

Then it's lucky your boy has a direct line to the sky-daddy.

Two weeks might be a touch optimistic if the atmospheric river doesn't move quickly.
Old 4th February 2019, 03:51 PM   #701
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Different reason, but the same tune Aussie's been playing for decades now.

Then it's lucky your boy has a direct line to the sky-daddy.

Two weeks might be a touch optimistic if the atmospheric river doesn't move quickly.
If you think Morrison is my boy, you are way off.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 4th February 2019, 04:19 PM   #702
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Hey! You can't eat crow, that's my job.

(This is an obscure Australian joke, sorry 'bout that.)
So how is Adelaide?
Old 7th February 2019, 03:42 AM   #703
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

So how is Adelaide?
As long as we don't have another one of those heat waves, we're fine.

Seeing a lot of petty vandalism from the new state government, but I'm used to that.
Old 7th February 2019, 12:04 PM   #704
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If you think Morrison is my boy, you are way off.
I certainly wasn't suggesting he was yours personally - just that he's the PM right now.

As to your political inclinations, I always take careful note of who my fellow democratic socialists are.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:11 PM   #705
Thor 2
Illuminator

I have to share this.

One of the most entertaining opinion pieces I have ever read by Annabel Crabb. Would have Scomo squirming in his seat I think.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...ng-do/10794742

An excerpt:

Quote:
Correction: the moment at which Kenneth Hayne stared balefully at a distant corner of the room while the Treasurer sweatily dialled the warmth of his own grin up to "Surface Of The Sun" settings in a doomed attempt to defrost his commissioner, the volumes of the report lying untouched between them like a poo on a picnic blanket.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:19 PM   #706
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I have to share this.

One of the most entertaining opinion pieces I have ever read by Annabel Crabb. Would have Scomo squirming in his seat I think.

An excerpt:
You just KNOW that report is not going to be read by the Minister.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:53 AM   #707
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I have to share this.

An excerpt:
I find it odd that they are saying it is the last fortnight of sitting. This says there will be more sittings in April. Though if the PM says there will be an election at the start of May then these will be cancelled.

It would be more sensible to have an election in the end of March. That way the April sittings could be held.

https://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Even...ral=0&pubhol=1
Old 11th February 2019, 04:38 AM   #708
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I find it odd that they are saying it is the last fortnight of sitting. This says there will be more sittings in April. Though if the PM says there will be an election at the start of May then these will be cancelled.

It would be more sensible to have an election in the end of March. That way the April sittings could be held.

https://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Even...ral=0&pubhol=1
Sensible?? This government SENSIBLE??! Surely ye jest!
Old 11th February 2019, 01:18 PM   #709
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

<snip>

<snip>
Sensible?? This government SENSIBLE??! Surely ye jest!
I said it would be sensible to have an election at the end of March. But I never said the government was sensible. I predict the day before parliament comes back in April the GG calls an election.
Old 11th February 2019, 05:09 PM   #710
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I said it would be sensible to have an election at the end of March. But I never said the government was sensible.
Point taken.

Quote:
I predict the day before parliament comes back in April the GG calls an election.
That would be up to Morrison, not the GG. I don't know how much longer Morrison can put this off ether. The polls are not getting better, nor is that likely to change noticeably before April unless Labor create a massive cluster-**** of national proportions before then. Which they are unlikely to do. So Morrison should really get the execution over with sooner rather than later.

The one good outcome of the next election is that Abbott is likely to lose his seat. And so is Dutton. If that happens, I will be as happy as the day Johnnie Howard lost his seat as sitting PM (why the Libs still fawn at his feet is beyond me - what a dull little mediocrity he was and is).
Old 11th February 2019, 05:53 PM   #711
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Point taken.

That would be up to Morrison, not the GG. I don't know how much longer Morrison can put this off ether. The polls are not getting better, nor is that likely to change noticeably before April unless Labor create a massive cluster-**** of national proportions before then. Which they are unlikely to do. So Morrison should really get the execution over with sooner rather than later.

The one good outcome of the next election is that Abbott is likely to lose his seat. And so is Dutton. If that happens, I will be as happy as the day Johnnie Howard lost his seat as sitting PM (why the Libs still fawn at his feet is beyond me - what a dull little mediocrity he was and is).
Conservative of politics, but really rather radical of eyebrow.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:27 PM   #712
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Point taken.

Again we are both right. Morrison tells the GG "I want an election." The GG says "you got one." It is one of the strange things about the Australian constitution. The GG has the powers, but is a puppet of the PM.

I suspect Labor want to keep a low profile. Allow Morrison to stuff up. He can still win an election if he can pull off a "children overboard" type incident. Show everyone that the racists are right.

As for Abbott and Dutton, they have as much chance of losing their seats as <a certain 3rd party such as the Greens or the loony right wing party> have of winning 6+ seats in the lower house in the 2019 election. I am saying the two things are connected. If one happens, so will the other.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:00 PM   #713
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Abbott has all but lost his seat, despite trying to fight back with the same sort of smarm he thought won for him previously. Zalli Steggel, an independent but basically a Lib-For-All-Intents-And-Purposes will handily wrap that one up according to the latest polls.

Dutton is in jeopardy and has been for a while. He's getting more and more unpopular in his own electorate just north of Brisbane, except for a core of local white-shoe business support. It's been line-ball on him.

I don't think Morrison wants to pull a "Children Overboard" stunt with their handling of Nauru and Manus currently stinking the place up. May as well cut his political wrists.

But yes, Labor needs only to lay low and sail smoothly. Let the LNP continue to trip over their own bootlaces they have left undone.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 11th February 2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:29 PM   #714
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Ali France will have the potato for breakfast.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:38 PM   #715
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Ali France will have the potato for breakfast.
Fingers crossed!
Old 12th February 2019, 12:12 AM   #716
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Abbott has all but lost his seat, despite trying to fight back with the same sort of smarm he thought won for him previously. Zalli Steggel, an independent but basically a Lib-For-All-Intents-And-Purposes will handily wrap that one up according to the latest polls.

Dutton is in jeopardy and has been for a while. He's getting more and more unpopular in his own electorate just north of Brisbane, except for a core of local white-shoe business support. It's been line-ball on him.

I don't think Morrison wants to pull a "Children Overboard" stunt with their handling of Nauru and Manus currently stinking the place up. May as well cut his political wrists.

But yes, Labor needs only to lay low and sail smoothly. Let the LNP continue to trip over their own bootlaces they have left undone.
I agree with you, apart from the ďChildren OverboardĒ prediction. Itís the only card he has left. He will play Border Security hard. It will be popular in Queensland.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12th February 2019, 12:16 AM   #717
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

BREAKING

Government loses 'de facto confidence' vote as amended refugee medevac bill passes

Quote:
The Morrison government has become the first since 1929 to lose a substantive vote on the floor of the House.

The last time that happened, the Stanley Bruce government called an election the next day.

Scott Morrison has already said he will not be doing that. Labor took out the renumeration issue, which took away the constitutional issues, and means the government has not lost control, even nominally, of the governmentís finances.

The majority of the crossbench have said they are not interested in a no-confidence motion and they want the government to go full term.

Someone would have to move a no confidence motion and then that same majority would have to support it.

As for the bill, it heads back to the Senate, where there are the numbers to pass it. But that doesnít mean it wonít be a long and drawn out process in terms of filibustering.
Source: Guardian Politics Live
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-politics-live
Old 12th February 2019, 12:32 AM   #718
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Well that was exciting
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:35 AM   #719
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was really looking forward to a no-confidence motion and an early election.
Old 12th February 2019, 01:12 PM   #720
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I was really looking forward to a no-confidence motion and an early election.
That should be done next week. That bill was a trial run.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics