IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th March 2021, 02:50 PM   #41
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I just bought a smart tv on the criteria of name brand, smallest possible and smart.

I ended up with a RCA 22" smart tv that telks you who it reports your activities to.

I passed on cheaper house brands and economy stuff so if need be I can get a new remote. Our other tv sets are not readily found and universals never work. I have a collection of universals that couldn't connect to them.

The RCA is braindead easy to set up for WiFi and thr rest is just home screen clicks to everything including Iranian tv channels.
Its a good tv and a great picture quality, if I ever watched tv channels anymore.
I stick to YT videos since it came home. Movies, videos, how to stuff and all. No ads for feminine products or laundry soap for me now. Paradise.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 02:56 PM   #42
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You don't want a TV, you want a computer monitor.
I would agree except that TVs are not the same as a computer monitor + a tuner. They produce different pictures. A monitor is designed to display text. A TV is designed to show contrast. Compare a movie on a TV with a computer monitor and you will see the difference.

Edit. This is what I am talking about

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by rjh01; 5th March 2021 at 03:03 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 03:02 PM   #43
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My Alexa tells me that it's impossible for a TV to eavesdrop and respond, so I'm good there.
The water-cooler consensus here at Amazon is the new lounge is not working with the current living room colour scheme. The recent house paint advertising too subtle a response for you?
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 03:05 PM   #44
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I would agree except that TVs are not the same as a computer monitor + a tuner. They produce different pictures. A monitor is designed to display text. A TV is designed to show contrast. Compare a movie on a TV with a computer monitor and you will see the difference.
I haven’t considered that a distinction since NTSC/PAL broadcasting stopped dominating.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 03:57 PM   #45
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If you do buy a monitor as a TV look for how many HDMI inputs it has. Then compare that with how many you need. Do monitors come with more than one HDMI input?
Old 5th March 2021, 04:10 PM   #46
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

If you do buy a monitor as a TV look for how many HDMI inputs it has. Then compare that with how many you need. Do monitors come with more than one HDMI input?
Not sure that is a distinction for large format displays either.
Old 5th March 2021, 04:55 PM   #47
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Well, they do less so of course they are!
This. But sorry, I edited...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 04:58 PM   #48
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

One is probably enough, it's the number of inputs on your audio receiver that will matter.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 08:31 PM   #49
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I have two HDMI devices and only one HDMI input on my TV, but oddly, that's one of the easiest things to remedy, as inexpensive HDMI switchboxes are easily found.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 09:49 PM   #50
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
My old one is 10 years old and makes a fritzing sound then reboots.

Sounds like the power supply. If you or someone you know is comfortable working with electronics, you could open it up and try to fix it. 10 years is about right for the caps to die. If it is a cap, you might be able to see it. The top of the cap should be absolutely flat. If it is bowed at all, it is bad and needs replacement. I've fixed quite a few devices just by looking for bad caps. Be forewarned, you can get a nasty shock if you don't know what you are doing. I am not responsible for any damage to you, your friends, or anything else. (I hate throwing away an expensive piece of equipment just because a couple of dollars worth of caps have gone bad.)
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 10:12 PM   #51
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I have two HDMI devices and only one HDMI input on my TV, but oddly, that's one of the easiest things to remedy, as inexpensive HDMI switchboxes are easily found.
Found this one at $A49.95. Comes with a remote. You will also need an extra HDMI cable to connect to the computer monitor.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/x...er-with-remote

Also had a look at monitors. They are not much cheaper (if any) than TVs. Not many of them are bigger than 32 inches.

I still cannot understand why there are not any dumb TVs on the market. Then add in "smart" hardware of your choice. If that breaks, replace that and not the whole TV.
Old 7th March 2021, 05:02 AM   #52
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My Alexa tells me that it's impossible for a TV to eavesdrop and respond, so I'm good there.
My new TV has got Alexa built in. Yours is lying.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 12:43 PM   #53
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
My new TV has got Alexa built in. Yours is lying.
My wife swears at Alexa quite a bit. I set up a routine so Alexa swears back at her.

Old 12th March 2021, 10:44 AM   #54
Wudang
BOFH

My daughter's smart TV bought March 2019 has just had the wifi component fail so doing a return/refund. Still works with a fire stick but it's a nuisance.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet