IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags favorite books , recommended books

Old 2nd March 2021, 07:03 AM   #641
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Slough House

Slovenly, malcontent Mycroft Holmes and his bureau of disgraced spies are back to put the screws to John Le Carré once again.
Just listened to an NPR review of these books... Sounded interesting. I used to love spy novels, and LeCarre was the master.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:31 AM   #642
Disbelief
Master Poster

Codex Alera, on book 5 of 6 now, which I have seen described as Roman legions meets Pokemon. I have found it entertaining and same author as Dresden Files.

After this, going to read NK Jemisin's The Broken Earth trilogy.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:17 AM   #643
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Based on what I saw in another thread, I downloaded from my public library, Norman Baker's … and What do you do? about the British royal family.

The first two chapters confirmed my belief that the framers of the US Constitution were absolutely correct in not allowing a hereditary system in this country.

Purely by coincidence, the book I finished previous to starting Baker's is The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted, by Robert Hillman, an Australian author. It concerns the events in the life of a sheep farmer who meets and marries a Holocaust survivor. (This is a very condensed, skeletal version of the plot.)

I recommend both of them.
Old 5th March 2021, 09:56 AM   #644
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

I have just finished Ludwig Reiners' The lamps went out in Europe about the machinations and folly that led to WWI. I had read it in high school (borrowed from my father's library) and did not really appreciate it. It is an often amusing, dark, sometimes gossipy telling of the period from the fall of Bismark (who the author credits, with reason I think, with the crafting of an intricate diplomatic structure for maintaining peace in Europe) to the outbreak of war.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2021, 06:06 AM   #645
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
A short story anthology called "Swords Against Cthulhu III". The first two books in the series were pretty standard sword & sorcery stories mashed together with the Cthulhu Mythos. When I started reading this book, I discovered that it was "Thundarr the Barbarian" mashed together with the Mythos. All of the stories are sword & sorcery set on post-apocalyptic Earth after the Old Ones have started to wake up. It's an interesting change.
I have that in my list.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2021, 08:39 AM   #646
Disbelief
Master Poster

Reading the Fifth Season by NK Jemisin. Took a bit to get into her writing style, but I'm enjoying it now.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts