ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Facebook incidents , Facebook issues , free speech issues , internet incidents

Reply
Old 15th May 2019, 12:08 AM   #561
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 36,543
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Yeah, I have a friend who got suspended from Facebook for a (humerous) rant about white men.
I've never noticed anything of the sort.

Do either of you use Facebook?

That's the sort of story that gets spread by non-users to make them feel superior.

I see people who joined in 2009 then quit and who think it's still like it was then.
__________________
Challenge your thoughts.
Don't believe everything you think.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 12:18 AM   #562
Ryokan
Insert something funny here
 
Ryokan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 9,981
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I've never noticed anything of the sort.

Do either of you use Facebook?

That's the sort of story that gets spread by non-users to make them feel superior.

I see people who joined in 2009 then quit and who think it's still like it was then.
Yes. We are both still active on Facebook.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 12:23 AM   #563
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,572
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Going strictly by the experiences of numerous friends and acquaintances, as well as my own, Facebook has always been ready and eager to purge the site of any content complaining about white people in general, white men in particular, and suspending or banning those who post such content. So far, just about everyone except white supremacists seem to get the banhammer regularly.
Could you give us some examples? I'm going to guess your friends expressed their views in ways that were against the terms and conditions of Facebook. And as such it was not the content of the messege but the way it was delivered that was the issue.

Of course you will reply with "no,I checked and they violated none of the terms or conditions. I just happened to look them all up the other day. " which, of course you will not be able to confirm because you will be unable or unwilling to show us these examples you wish to use as evidence.

To summarize,you are attempting to sway people using literally nothing more than your assurance that you know people who are the victims of foul play on the part of a major company. Not exactly the evidence standard we rewrite for most things around here.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 12:27 AM   #564
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,572
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Yes. We are both still active on Facebook.
Care to actually prove your claim about the suspension?

If not it can be disregarded in the same way I would disregard any claim made without evidence.

I can all but guarentee if you show the messege and the suspension we would see it was due to your friends posting style conflicting with the terms and conditions of Facebook, not the core messege they were stating.

But you won't, yet you expect it to be used as evidence. Funny how that standard goes out the window when it is you that just knows something to be true.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 12:32 AM   #565
Ryokan
Insert something funny here
 
Ryokan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 9,981
I don't care to prove anything. I didn't present it as evidence of anything. Feel free to disregard it if you want.

Where did the hostile tone and accusatioms come from?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 01:23 AM   #566
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
For example, free speech.

If there were no limits on where and to what extent this could be exercised, then you'd end up with me standing outside your window shouting at you through a megaphone at 4am. Or while standing in the middle of a city council meeting in session.

If there were no limits on what could be said, I could libel and slander you, ruin your reputation with specious claims and lies, and you would have no recourse.

I could spread conspiracy theories about prominent public figures or personal enemies and demand that they be assassinated.

We've seen what happens when people exercise their "free speech" without reasonable restrictions and limitations. We see bigots use their "free speech" to harass black and hispanic and LGBTQ people; up to and including getting them killed through lying to the police about threats, aka "swatting".
These are not examples of free speech. These are examples of doing actual harm to others.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 01:59 AM   #567
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I've been reading a bit of Karl Popper lately, especially his opinions regarding tolerant societies. He argues that if we tolerate the intolerant, we will risk ultimately losing our tolerant society altogether.
Did somebody say "slippery slope"?
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:39 AM   #568
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,696
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I haven't heard of most of those people and neither have you. Are you saying that none of these people have a presence on twitter, facebook, youtube, patreon, amazon, etc? When were they deplatformed? What was the reason? Remember, getting a warning from ISF doesn't count as a deplatforming.

To make it easy, let's narrow it down to three of the somebodys:

Norman Finkelstein (I'm guessing he's run into problems for calling out Israel as a white nationalist apartheid state. Not exactly a left wing issue)

Alice Walker

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
I hadn't heard of most of these people either so I started going through the list. I gave up when I found out Jonny Moseley was disinvited as a commencement speaker at Berkley because he dropped out of college, in 2002.

And Dawkins ?

He's not on the left, the left hates him because he's "Islamophobic" He used to be on the left but the left turned on him like he was rabid. Disinvited from a speakers conference for reposting the Islam vs feminism video, disinvited by a radio station for Islamobhobia....Then there was that gays for Islam-Islam for gays tweet.

Disinvitation Database


Using that database, it certainly looks like an awful lot of the *we don't think you should have access to certain ideas and information because they're bad ideas and information and you're not to be trusted with them* is coming form the left.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:52 AM   #569
IsThisTheLife
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I've been reading a bit of Karl Popper lately, especially his opinions regarding tolerant societies. He argues that if we tolerate the intolerant, we will risk ultimately losing our tolerant society altogether.

Popper said
"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

The same could be argued about free speech. If a society allows unlimited, absolute free speech to everyone, then by default, it must extend that allowance to those who would ultimately wish to remove the right to free speech, and if that happens, society risks losing that right altogether.

This is what happened in Europe in the 1920's: Nazi's came to power from very small beginnings, from discussions in drinking establishments and poorly attended public meetings. Groups such as Freier Arbeiterausschuss für einen guten Frieden, the Free Workers' Committee for a Good Peace) and Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (German Worker's Party) formed. Very minor, very low key, just like some of the extreme right wing groups we have today. These groups grew and grew, and after a few setbacks, ended up coming to power, and the result was total suppression of opposing views, and millions of people killed in ten years of Holocaust and five years of global warfare.

Americans probably see modern Nazi's as not unlike The Blues Brothers "Illinois Nazis", a bunch of incompetent, unintelligent man-children playing at being bad guys. I promise you, those in Europe have a very different view - they see the far right as a real threat, because they are.

In France, Marine Le Pen leads the National Front, a far right idealogical party that, under her, has distanced itself from the anti-Semitism of her father, and has instead, taken up opposition to immigration from the Middle East - they have simply replaced the Jew Boogeyman with the Muslim Boogeyman. The National Front is a neo-Nazi organisation in every way but name, and in the 2011 elections, they were the third most popular party - that's about the same level of support the Nazis had in the early 1930's Weimar Republic.

Do not dismiss neo-Nazis lightly!
Pretentious much?
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:55 AM   #570
IsThisTheLife
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I hadn't heard of most of these people either so I started going through the list. I gave up when I found out Jonny Moseley was disinvited as a commencement speaker at Berkley because he dropped out of college, in 2002.

And Dawkins ?

He's not on the left, the left hates him because he's "Islamophobic" He used to be on the left but the left turned on him like he was rabid. Disinvited from a speakers conference for reposting the Islam vs feminism video, disinvited by a radio station for Islamobhobia....Then there was that gays for Islam-Islam for gays tweet.

Disinvitation Database


Using that database, it certainly looks like an awful lot of the *we don't think you should have access to certain ideas and information because they're bad ideas and information and you're not to be trusted with them* is coming form the left.
Well played, sir. The idiotic left and their preaching of "tolerance" toward the most intolerant ideology on Earth (possibly - at least one other is in the running, and it ain't Christianity), Mohammedism, will never cease to boggle me.

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 15th May 2019 at 05:57 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:35 AM   #571
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,353
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
These are not examples of free speech. These are examples of doing actual harm to others.

Who gets to decide that? Who gets to decide what speech is harmful, and how is that harm measured?

You're evading the point, not addressing it.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:43 AM   #572
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,353
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I've never noticed anything of the sort.

Do either of you use Facebook?

That's the sort of story that gets spread by non-users to make them feel superior.

I see people who joined in 2009 then quit and who think it's still like it was then.


That's the most cack-handed evasion I've seen in this entire thread.

But just FYI, I'm a regular Facebook user, as are many of my friends. The most recent suspension was roughly a month ago (closer to five weeks now), the most recent content removal was just a couple weeks ago. I had my own account temporarily suspended last winter for daring to post a list of genocides committed by white people against indigenous people in response to a Trumpista. Nothing that violated the terms of service unless you consider calling Anglo-American culture to account for its past crimes to be "anti-white" as apparently the Trumpistas did.

And no, I'm not going to tell anyone who my friends are. That's called "doxxing", it's highly unethical at best, and I'm certainly not going to contribute to it. The absolute last thing they need is to have a bunch of Internet trolls sealioning and harassing them.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 07:12 AM   #573
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,552
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Yeah, I have a friend who got suspended from Facebook for a (humerous) rant about white men.
Dear facebook algorithm,

I've written to you before to ask that expressions of racism and sexism be flagged by you and removed from the site. I was not alone and it seems that in recent years you have really listened to us and measures have been implemented. Thank you for that.

However, today I'm contacting you to ask for some adjustments to how you operate. You see, I made a sexist and racist joke recently and it got removed. This is not acceptable! I was fighting the patriarchy and whiteness!
I can see this is all very confusing, as you are nothing but a clunky bit of code slapped together in New Delhi by the same guy who keeps sending diaper ads to couples who've just had a miscarriage.

At my university, we feel that left-wing and brown people are not susceptible to the same basic psychological mechanisms and propaganda tactics as right-wing people and white people. So I feel it is only fair that you be reprogrammed to allow racism and sexism against certain groups. I'm sure the many Facebook shareholders will have no problem with this being explicitly written into the code. After all, what's a little bit of blowback for a company as universally liked and respected as Facebook? It is for a good cause after all. I'm sure you'll see the sense in choosing to promote my fringe worldview over making billions of dollars in ad revenue.

I would like to warn however that maybe you're thinking 'what if I learned to recognise sarcasm? Then I could just un-flag jokes'. No no no! That's not how it works! The Alt-Right insidiously uses tongue-in-cheek humour to provide an entry point to their toxic ideology. This cannot be confused with my absolutely hilarious 'Kill all White Men' and 'Castrate all Boys' posts.

In short, all I'm asking that a team of AI developers make sure that the world's main social platform implement their algorithms in an inconsistent way so I can do things that I explicitly don't want others to do.

I await your positive response.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 08:22 AM   #574
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,166
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Not to me it isn't, It has a wider meaning than just social media
deplatforming
Cancelling or disinviting someone to speak at an event - usually due to some form of offense committed by the speaker that would damage the reputation of the event sponsor or event theme.
https://www.definitions.net/definition/deplatforming

Deplatforming of invited speakers
Controversial speakers invited to appear on college campuses have faced deplatforming in the form of attempts to disinvite them or to prevent them from speaking. The British National Union of Students established its No Platform policy as early as 1973.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplat...vited_speakers
If that's the definition you're using, I was deplatformed from speaking at high school graduation because of a scheduling conflict. I'm a leftist. Did you get to the "C" on that list?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 08:37 AM   #575
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,552
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
How many bad people on the far left have they covered.


Do they cover ANTIFA?
Yes. Specifically, they note that similar groups are forming on the left and 'tooling up' for when TSHTF.

There is also a good episode about what the opposing groups have in common and the misassumptions they have about each other.

These guys are lefties, but not to a crazy extent. The reporter is also a bit of gun nut, which helps him find some common ground with the militia types. And he does understand why people in rural people don't like having their lives dictated by coastal liberals. There is empathy here as well as a warning against hardening attitudes.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 10:02 AM   #576
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Who gets to decide that? Who gets to decide what speech is harmful, and how is that harm measured?

You're evading the point, not addressing it.
Are you serious?

Making loud noises outside somebody's window at 4am is not stating an opinion.

Libel, slander and malicious lies is not stating an opinion.

Urging the assassination of public figures is not stating an opinion.

These are all examples of maliciously causing harm to others and the victims have legal recourse to all of them - even if it is only financial compensation.

Opinions are beliefs - even racist ones like "white men can't jump". We can disagree with them - even vehemently and nobody is required in any way to assist the speakers to express their opinions. But neither you nor anybody else has the right to say "it's OK to express this opinion" or "it's not OK to express that opinion".
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 12:11 PM   #577
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,353
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Opinions are beliefs - even racist ones like "white men can't jump". We can disagree with them - even vehemently and nobody is required in any way to assist the speakers to express their opinions. But neither you nor anybody else has the right to say "it's OK to express this opinion" or "it's not OK to express that opinion".

The two points which appear to have flown right over your head are:

1) We already place limits on when, where, and how the exercise of rights, including freedom of speech, can be exercised. You appear to agree that some limitations are acceptable, as demonstrated in the post I replied to.

2) This isn't about expressing opinions or beliefs, this is about people advocating for the genocide of any and all human beings they consider inferior to them, and recruiting others for the purpose of advocating for and eventually committing said genocide. That's what Naziism is, and that is what these people are demonstrably doing.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 02:39 PM   #578
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,393
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If that's the definition you're using, I was deplatformed from speaking at high school graduation because of a scheduling conflict.
Utter rubbish, and you know it

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I'm a leftist.
If you're a leftist, then I'm a little green man from Alpha Centauri

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Did you get to the "C" on that list?
Unparsable
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 03:26 PM   #579
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,393
Facebook has changed their rules for livestreaming...

... in the wake of the Christchurch terrorist attack.

https://www.politico.eu/article/face...church-attack/
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:42 PM   #580
Dani
Master Poster
 
Dani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sometimes
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Did somebody say "slippery slope"?
I had to look that up, because I read Popper many years ago.

Popper's argument makes logical sense as long as you define intolerance as a monolithic concept. But it isn't. There are different degrees of intolerance: the type of intolerance that, like Popper, I would not tolerate, would be the one that calls to action based on a denial of other people's moral agency and autonomy.

Bad ideas should be challenged intellectually, not through censorship. If, for example, racism is intellectually untenable (which is, in different ways), society benefits more by challenging it rather than censoring it.
Dani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 01:05 AM   #581
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,552
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
I had to look that up, because I read Popper many years ago.

Popper's argument makes logical sense as long as you define intolerance as a monolithic concept. But it isn't. There are different degrees of intolerance: the type of intolerance that, like Popper, I would not tolerate, would be the one that calls to action based on a denial of other people's moral agency and autonomy.

Bad ideas should be challenged intellectually, not through censorship. If, for example, racism is intellectually untenable (which is, in different ways), society benefits more by challenging it rather than censoring it.
This was very much my opinion until recently.

But a lie can spread far and wide and be impossible to counter for honest debaters.

Please consider that most people still remember Marie Antoinette for 'Let them eat cake'. A made-up quote spread through politically extremist pamphlets. Fake news to drum up hatred and facilitate the extermination of a social class.

Now, it would bother me if certain topics were completely purged. Mass-immigration, for instance, is an issue that cannot be buried and public discussion must be made possible.

I've noticed that any complicated topic has a sensationalist 'the experts are wrong' ******* insane Alex Jones take. And that sensationalist take will get more eyeballs than the boring academic version.

If you search for painless suicide methods on Google, the first page is filled with suicide help-lines, websites that urge you to get help etc.

I think similar things happen when you search for Isis propaganda. providing information that helps with deradicalisation.

Lots of people are stuck in an information tunnel, going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. I was once a borderline truther, I've had a taste of what that's like.

Lets be fair here, how many slick, short explainer videos are there of how the banking industry worked before the Fed? Do people know about banks going bankrupt all the time? The bank-runs? The complete loss of savings when that happened? Any primer on how the money distribution system is supposed to guard against hyperinflation? Instead, you get stories about how the Federal Reserve isn't federal, isn't a reserve and is secretly owned by the Jews. Did I say Jews? Sorry, I meant the Rothschilds.

Any good punchy explainer videos about what life was like before vaccines?

Any convincing footage of the earth not being flat? OK, there's no saving those people.

Sixty-one per cent of Americans believes in some kind of JFK conspiracy.

Left unchecked, anti-Vax, Holocaust denial, Pizza-gate, creationism etc have a huge potential to convince a significant percentage of the population and that will have real-world effects.

At the very least platforms have to change the show-what-gets-the most-eyeballs algorithm. BS should be muted instead of promoted.

If not, the future is Donald Trump, Brexit and measles.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 03:25 AM   #582
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Lets be fair here, how many slick, short explainer videos are there of how the banking industry worked before the Fed? Do people know about banks going bankrupt all the time? The bank-runs? The complete loss of savings when that happened? Any primer on how the money distribution system is supposed to guard against hyperinflation? Instead, you get stories about how the Federal Reserve isn't federal, isn't a reserve and is secretly owned by the Jews. Did I say Jews? Sorry, I meant the Rothschilds.
If that is an example of what you want to see banned then we would have to get rid of the entire CT secion (and probably the religious section as well).

You would only be giving weight to the notion that there is a conspiracy to stop the truth from getting out.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 03:48 AM   #583
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,614
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Pretentious much?
Oh, you sure owned him with that witty retort.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 03:53 AM   #584
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,614
Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
This was very much my opinion until recently.

But a lie can spread far and wide and be impossible to counter for honest debaters.

Please consider that most people still remember Marie Antoinette for 'Let them eat cake'. A made-up quote spread through politically extremist pamphlets. Fake news to drum up hatred and facilitate the extermination of a social class.

Now, it would bother me if certain topics were completely purged. Mass-immigration, for instance, is an issue that cannot be buried and public discussion must be made possible.

I've noticed that any complicated topic has a sensationalist 'the experts are wrong' ******* insane Alex Jones take. And that sensationalist take will get more eyeballs than the boring academic version.

If you search for painless suicide methods on Google, the first page is filled with suicide help-lines, websites that urge you to get help etc.

I think similar things happen when you search for Isis propaganda. providing information that helps with deradicalisation.

Lots of people are stuck in an information tunnel, going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. I was once a borderline truther, I've had a taste of what that's like.

Lets be fair here, how many slick, short explainer videos are there of how the banking industry worked before the Fed? Do people know about banks going bankrupt all the time? The bank-runs? The complete loss of savings when that happened? Any primer on how the money distribution system is supposed to guard against hyperinflation? Instead, you get stories about how the Federal Reserve isn't federal, isn't a reserve and is secretly owned by the Jews. Did I say Jews? Sorry, I meant the Rothschilds.

Any good punchy explainer videos about what life was like before vaccines?

Any convincing footage of the earth not being flat? OK, there's no saving those people.

Sixty-one per cent of Americans believes in some kind of JFK conspiracy.

Left unchecked, anti-Vax, Holocaust denial, Pizza-gate, creationism etc have a huge potential to convince a significant percentage of the population and that will have real-world effects.

At the very least platforms have to change the show-what-gets-the most-eyeballs algorithm. BS should be muted instead of promoted.

If not, the future is Donald Trump, Brexit and measles.
I read somewhere that when a search was made for "white supremacy" or somesuch on Facebook, they directed the user to Life After Hate's Facebook page.

That's neat.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 03:53 AM   #585
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,393
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Oh, you sure owned him with that witty retort.
Treated his comment with the contempt it deserved.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 04:20 AM   #586
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,818
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
Bad ideas should be challenged intellectually, not through censorship. If, for example, racism is intellectually untenable (which is, in different ways), society benefits more by challenging it rather than censoring it.
Do you have any evidence of racists changing their minds when presented with information counter to their feelings of racism? I can't say I've ever heard of your plan working before.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 04:26 AM   #587
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Do you have any evidence of racists changing their minds when presented with information counter to their feelings of racism? I can't say I've ever heard of your plan working before.
Does racist=society?
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 04:43 AM   #588
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,614
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Does racist=society?
Wut?

No, but it doesn't seem relevant to the exchange you quoted.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 04:52 AM   #589
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Wut?

No, but it doesn't seem relevant to the exchange you quoted.
It is if you think that "society benefits" means that "racists change their minds".
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:05 AM   #590
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,552
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Do you have any evidence of racists changing their minds when presented with information counter to their feelings of racism? I can't say I've ever heard of your plan working before.
White supremacists have taken a page out of the creationist handbook.

The scientist comes up with science stuff, the supremacist counters with a bombardment of stuff that sounds like science. Lay people side with the one who produced the greatest quantity of science-sounding terms uttered with the greatest degree of passion.

For a fun experiment, go to Twitter and start a conversation with Stephan Moliniuex (sp?) about race and IQ and see how far you get.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:14 AM   #591
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,818
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Does racist=society?
A racist is part of society. In some areas, they make up the majority of a society. What's your point?

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It is if you think that "society benefits" means that "racists change their minds".
Changing racist's minds won't benefit society? Why not?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:18 AM   #592
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,818
Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
White supremacists have taken a page out of the creationist handbook.

The scientist comes up with science stuff, the supremacist counters with a bombardment of stuff that sounds like science. Lay people side with the one who produced the greatest quantity of science-sounding terms uttered with the greatest degree of passion.

For a fun experiment, go to Twitter and start a conversation with Stephan Moliniuex (sp?) about race and IQ and see how far you get.
Attempting to reason people out of positions that they didn't use reason to take doesn't have a strong record of success, notably with creationists and white supremacists both.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:31 AM   #593
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,813
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
Bad ideas should be challenged intellectually, not through censorship. If, for example, racism is intellectually untenable (which is, in different ways), society benefits more by challenging it rather than censoring it.
These two things are not in conflict. You can still challenge Alex Jones' views even if he's banned from Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:37 AM   #594
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,614
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It is if you think that "society benefits" means that "racists change their minds".
I'd say that's a given.

It doesn't mean racists = society however.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:42 AM   #595
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46,063
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I read somewhere that when a search was made for "white supremacy" or somesuch on Facebook, they directed the user to Life After Hate's Facebook page.

That's neat.
That just makes sense the groups know better than to brand themselves as such. How about just white pride instead of supremacy?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:57 AM   #596
ahhell
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,287
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I hadn't heard of most of these people either so I started going through the list. I gave up when I found out Jonny Moseley was disinvited as a commencement speaker at Berkley because he dropped out of college, in 2002.

And Dawkins ?

He's not on the left, the left hates him because he's "Islamophobic" He used to be on the left but the left turned on him like he was rabid. Disinvited from a speakers conference for reposting the Islam vs feminism video, disinvited by a radio station for Islamobhobia....Then there was that gays for Islam-Islam for gays tweet.

Disinvitation Database


Using that database, it certainly looks like an awful lot of the *we don't think you should have access to certain ideas and information because they're bad ideas and information and you're not to be trusted with them* is coming form the left.
While I tend to think that is the case, keep in mind that FIRE and I share a bias in that regard, they may be less likely to notice cases of lefty speakers being disinvited. I'd take there list with a grain of salt in that regard.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 06:28 AM   #597
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Changing racist's minds won't benefit society? Why not?
The original quote was "society benefits more by challenging it rather than censoring it".

To suggest that society benefits only if the racist's mind is changed is not only a non-sequitur, it is ridiculous.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 06:41 AM   #598
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,614
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The original quote was "society benefits more by challenging it rather than censoring it".

To suggest that society benefits only if the racist's mind is changed is not only a non-sequitur, it is ridiculous.
Well, we could remove the racist from society to get the same benefit.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 06:45 AM   #599
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,323
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Well, we could remove the racist from society to get the same benefit.
Yeah. Locking up people who's views are considered racist is a real benefit to society.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 06:47 AM   #600
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,614
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Yeah. Locking up people who's views are considered racist is a real benefit to society.
It sure would be. Those of us able to share and live in peace would be better off for sure.

But I'm not talking about necessarily locking them up. What we need is a final solution to the racist question.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.