ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th May 2019, 01:25 PM   #881
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That used to be (might still be) a big security hole in some operating systems. If you could get to view the failed login attempts, which often required normal or only slightly elevated access in some systems, you could make a reasonable stab at getting someone's password. Just scan the failed logins for something that looked like a password and not a login name, then match that with whatever user logged in 10 seconds later.
I'd think that's a method probably exploited by scam websites. Once they have an email and password (which many people don't differ among sites), just try a few banking sites to see what works. Fortunately, many have gone to two-factor authorization or other security checks.
Old 10th May 2019, 01:30 PM   #882
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'd think that's a method probably exploited by scam websites. Once they have an email and password (which many people don't differ among sites), just try a few banking sites to see what works. Fortunately, many have gone to two-factor authorization or other security checks.
XKCD ran a comic a few years back where it opined that all one had to do was start up a free website that ran some middlingly useful service; picture storage for instance, and collect a bunch of user names and passwords under the assumption that a fair amount of those users would use the same user names and passwords for other more important websites and you have, for no more sunk cost then a few months of webhosting, a huge collection of perfectly valid usernames and passwords.

I can't actually think of a reason that wouldn't work.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 04:01 PM   #883
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
How can I tell whether NumLock is on on my laptop when I can't see the password I'm typing?

Type some letters into the User ID field and see if they come out as numbers.

Oh yeah, what a great idea! Never thought of that. (proceeds to type their entire password into the User ID field)
I was once giving a presentation to a large team, part of of it required me to login live to the company's network. I was typing away and realised people were rather amused, yep on the large screen behind me I was typing my password into the user name field!
A couple of people have done that here and then didn't flush the browser memory. As a result the passwords showed up as user name auto fill ins.
Old 12th May 2019, 05:16 PM   #884
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh joy. Major maintenance over the weekend has had the usual results.
Old 12th May 2019, 05:36 PM   #885
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

For very small values of "results", no doubt.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 06:57 PM   #886
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Just lots of calls. RAS is down until Wednesday, which has made some people unhappy. But for some reason all passwords were expired and had to be reset at login. It's a straightforward process, but of course a lot of people had problems with it.

It's just one of those tiring times where you don't get a break.
Old 13th May 2019, 08:48 AM   #887
catsmate
No longer the 1

Any serious injuries?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:47 AM   #888
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Issues here over the weekend as well. SAP goes down and batch jobs fail and create over 3000 tickets. Nobody thinks to flip the switch to stop the batch jobs until the problem in SAP is fixed. Sigh.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 10:14 AM   #889
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Just lots of calls. RAS is down until Wednesday, which has made some people unhappy. But for some reason all passwords were expired and had to be reset at login. It's a straightforward process, but of course a lot of people had problems with it.

It's just one of those tiring times where you don't get a break.
What kind of "maintenance" expires everyone's passwords and leaves a server out of order for two or three days? I realise you're not on the technical team so you may not actually know the reasons. It does sound like a major "oops" on the part of the technical team.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 10:19 AM   #890
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
What kind of "maintenance" expires everyone's passwords and leaves a server out of order for two or three days? I realise you're not on the technical team so you may not actually know the reasons. It does sound like a major "oops" on the part of the technical team.
//Spitball// Licensing for Remote Access can be a goddamn nightmare and most RAS software for security failsafes to "Don't let anyone in" state when anything is wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 06:10 PM   #891
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Any serious injuries?
No, nothing serious. But a lot of calls. The largest volume of calls that I can remember.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
To be fair, it was apparently a major update to lots of systems. Lots of interacting parts. I don't know the reason why everyone's password was expired, but that was the reason for most of the calls. When 8,000 users all try to change their password unexpectedly on the same day, there are going to be a lot of issues. You know how people are with their passwords.

//Spitball// Licensing for Remote Access can be a goddamn nightmare and most RAS software for security failsafes to "Don't let anyone in" state when anything is wrong.
That's plausible. Why it's down for three days I don't know.
Old 13th May 2019, 09:03 PM   #892
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

That's plausible. Why it's down for three days I don't know.
Long weekend.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:18 PM   #893
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Long weekend.
We just had one of those. A double one. With an extra day off in the week after.

Damn, that hit my budget hard.
Old 14th May 2019, 08:47 AM   #894
Faydra
sinning sybarite

I got the weirdest email from someone today. I'm honestly not sure how to answer her.

This is a cut & paste.

Quote:
Just want to let you know, your image on the outlook is very cute. Is it your cat?
I couldn't remember what I had put on there, so I went to have a look.

This is the image she looked at and wondered if it was my cat.
Attached Images
File Type: png kitty2.png (5.2 KB, 135 views)
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:29 AM   #895
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
If not yours, whose cat could it be?

Does your cat have only three legs?
Old 14th May 2019, 11:47 AM   #896
Faydra
sinning sybarite

No, I have a normal three dimensional cat.
Old 14th May 2019, 01:29 PM   #897
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
FTFY

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 02:11 PM   #898
xterra
So far, so good...

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post

Assuming that "no" here means "no, I do not have a three-legged cat," you have solved your original problem. You should tell your correspondent that she has mistaken your cat for someone else's cat.

As for Dr. Keith's emendation, he is correct. There is no such thing as a normal cat. Gaussian distributions do not apply to cats.

Last edited by xterra; 14th May 2019 at 02:13 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:25 PM   #899
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Assuming that "no" here means "no, I do not have a three-legged cat," you have solved your original problem. You should tell your correspondent that she has mistaken your cat for someone else's cat three-legged feline of indeterminate species.
Let's be specific.
Old 14th May 2019, 07:15 PM   #900
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Them: I'm having x problem with my phone handset

Me: Okay, I need the SEP number of the phone. Can you carefully pick up the phone and read me off the number from the sticker?

Them: Okay, I... *click*

Me: I said carefully!
Old 14th May 2019, 08:34 PM   #901
xterra
So far, so good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterra
Assuming that "no" here means "no, I do not have a three-legged cat," you have solved your original problem. You should tell your correspondent that she has mistaken your cat for someone else's cat three-legged feline of indeterminate species.

Let's be specific.

Let's be accurate. It is not possible to be specific about the identity of an indeterminate species.
Old 14th May 2019, 08:48 PM   #902
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Let's be accurate. It is not possible to be specific about the identity of an indeterminate species.
Touche.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:44 PM   #903
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

RAS is back up. Some bright spark sent an email around to everyone telling them to call us for a password reset.

Settling in for a long afternoon...
Old 14th May 2019, 11:18 PM   #904
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh... My God. I've just discovered something.

In Word, File - Open - Recent has a button labelled "Recover unsaved documents".

My entire world has changed.
Old 15th May 2019, 12:47 AM   #905
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

RAS is back up. Some bright spark sent an email around to everyone telling them to call us for a password reset.

Settling in for a long afternoon...
We have a crap roster. For a complete half hour I was the only person taking calls. The entire half hour, we had between 2 and 4 people queueing. I took all those calls, averaging 2 1/2 minutes per call. I didn't drop a single one.

I only took 10 calls, but it felt like twice that many. I'm going to be doing password resets in my dreams tonight.
Old 15th May 2019, 09:31 AM   #906
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

This is where (and why) I'm such a big Linux fan.Typically the licenses are open, meaning you don't have to worry about them. Another thing is back-end data stores tend to be text files or can be exported to text (e.g. LDAP -> LDIF), and Linux/Unix has loads of utilities for updating text files. That means you're not stuck having to use the tools that came with the product to fix a problem, especially if they're slow or otherwise not up to the task.

While I can't be certain, I rather suspect the problem that took down RAS on the weekend for three days would have been resolved in under a day in a Linux environment, and possibly even before the start of business on Monday.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 04:49 PM   #907
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Password reset.

Password reset.

Password reset.

Password reset.

ad ughium.
Old 15th May 2019, 05:29 PM   #908
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This again. They don't say what they want. "I've been unable to log on to RAS, so I've got a code." instead of "Can you reset my password please?"
Old 15th May 2019, 09:43 PM   #909
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
This again. They don't say what they want. "I've been unable to log on to RAS, so I've got a code." instead of "Can you reset my password please?"
Eh, wait til you work with coders.

I had to help troubleshoot a piece of code that was not working right on one of our applications. Research showed that:

1. The coder was using http calls, instead of https. Unencrypted traffic has been blocked on our network for 6 months.

2. One of the calls was aimed to port 6000, when it works perfectly well as standard https on port 443. Yeah, firewalls won't flag on that!
Old 16th May 2019, 12:19 AM   #910
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Eh, wait til you work with coders.
Oh yes. The number of times I've heard variants of "Your system/environment/utility is totally f'ed and it's stopping my program"

That's right. The other 3 or 4 digit number of people using that happily are all delusional but you are incapable of error so it must be me. The classic was the "expert" programmer with many years experience who was calling our source code library instead of the executable.
Another was the programmer who came along demanding we read his dump. A quick look and we could see the last instruction was a call to take a dump. We pointed this out to him. "It took a dump because you told it to."
"Yes I know that but why?"
"Wait, are you asking us to read your own code for you?"

eta Both from when I worked for a certain big computer manufacturer - call it Large Cyan.
Old 16th May 2019, 12:34 AM   #911
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hey, I've worked for Large Cyan too. A long time ago.
Old 16th May 2019, 05:39 AM   #912
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
eta Both from when I worked for a certain big computer manufacturer - call it Large Cyan.
So, do you get your soul back when you leave, or is that part a one-time transaction?

Currently working on a project with for...er...that company* at my company. Not impressed so far.

*-No matter the business arrangement, you work for them, not with them
Old 16th May 2019, 09:36 AM   #913
Wudang
BOFH

So, do you get your soul back when you leave, or is that part a one-time transaction?

Currently working on a project with for...er...that company* at my company. Not impressed so far.

It varied. I worked at then UK IT HQ at Portsmouth 84-92 and saw a lot of bad practice and BS. Then the software lab at Hursley for 7 years which was awesome. I hear it has changed a lot though. Dealt with lots of BS and entrenched idiocy at the Austin and Poughkeepsie labs. Been away 20 years now.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:26 PM   #914
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I actually worked for a subcontractor, so I got to keep a bit of my soul. Not a lot, but it was something.
Old 16th May 2019, 05:40 PM   #915
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Still remember the company song? Yes, really!
Old 16th May 2019, 06:02 PM   #916
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's been a really long week. I've been resetting passwords in my sleep.

Old 17th May 2019, 05:04 AM   #917
Wudang
BOFH

Still remember the company song? Yes, really!
I preferred "50 ways to close an APAR"
https://www.starkhome.ch/songs-you-m...th-new-lyrcis/
Old 17th May 2019, 06:14 AM   #918
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've got a (blissfully small) number of users who use those horrid old Logitech "ergonomic" trackballs and split keyboards.
Old 17th May 2019, 09:30 AM   #919
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

So many users have been grateful for help this week!
It makes me wonder
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 12:43 PM   #920
catsmate
No longer the 1

If not yours, whose cat could it be?

Does your cat have only three legs?
It reminds me of Hannelore's drawing lesson.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet