ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th February 2019, 02:42 PM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Coast Guard lieutenant arrested with hit list of liberal senators

Pro-Russian Coast Guard lieutenant arrested with hit list of liberal senators wanted to establish ‘a white homeland’

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/pro...hite-homeland/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 03:01 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't see what makes him "pro-Russian". Russians have their flaws, but a fondness for people who identify as Nazis isn't one of them.
Old 20th February 2019, 03:04 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Pro-Russian Coast Guard lieutenant arrested with hit list of liberal senators wanted to establish ‘a white homeland’

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/pro...hite-homeland/
Shades of Tim McVeigh.
Old 20th February 2019, 03:37 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Soon to be "Ex Coast Guard lieutenant"
The drug arrest alone would have sunk his career, but now he will be kicked out so fast it will make you head spin.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't see what makes him "pro-Russian". Russians have their flaws, but a fondness for people who identify as Nazis isn't one of them.
It is mentioned in the motion for detention document. It says "....from January 2017 to January 2019, the defendant conducted online searches and make [sic] thousands of visits for pro-Russian, neo-fascist, and neo-Nazi literature".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 04:32 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The first paragraph is more batcrap insane than an insane constipated bat. Here it is...

First, I read this...

There is actually something called that here on Earth? I'm ready to vomit...

I vomited. He said that it is an everyday event for a US Coast Guard Lieutenant to be arrested for drugs and weapons. That's why I vomited and now I can't read past the first paragraph and I don't even care what comes after that. Goodbye.

I think it was a misquote. It should have been the George Washington University Program on Extremism since it's sponsored by George Washington University, a highly respected University in Washington DC.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:23 PM   #7
Venom
Master Poster

Still, there are a number of skinhead and neo-nazi groups in Russia. They don't care that their grandfathers fought the Nazis.

People who search for white nationalist hubs online tend to find themselves cheering these guys on.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:32 PM   #8
Checkmite

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think it was a misquote. It should have been the George Washington University Program on Extremism since it's sponsored by George Washington University, a highly respected University in Washington DC.
Don't bother. The user was looking for an excuse to dismiss a reported case of white supremacist/nazi terrorism; the typo in the article provided that excuse. He's not interested in your clarification.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:49 PM   #9
crescent
Master Poster

.... and now I can't read past the first paragraph and I don't even care what comes after that. Goodbye.
Git ye off to yer safe space!

God forbid you might actually read something that disagrees with you.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:55 PM   #10
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

He definitely sounds like a bad person but appears to be the lone-wolf type. Glad they got him before he killed somebody.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:55 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh yeah, I've been on the campus and touched the hippopotamus statue.

But putting that aside, you have not said a damn word about it being an everyday event that a USCG Lieutenant is arrested for drugs and weapons. So this tells me that you do not care if I vomit for a second time. Which I have now done and it's all your fault.
Old 20th February 2019, 07:00 PM   #12
Checkmite

An arrest of someone for drugs and weapons is an everyday event.
Old 20th February 2019, 07:01 PM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Don't bother. The user was looking for an excuse to dismiss a reported case of white supremacist/nazi terrorism; the typo in the article provided that excuse. He's not interested in your clarification.
I have no love for white supremacists.
I have no love for black supremacists.
And at this moment I especially have no love for you and the way that you try to stereotype me.
Old 20th February 2019, 07:03 PM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Arrests of USCG Lieutenants for drugs and weapons happens every day. Hello.
Old 20th February 2019, 07:22 PM   #15
Checkmite

Arrests of USCG Lieutenants for drugs and weapons happens every day. Hello.
The tweet referenced in the article explicitly counts him being a USCG officer as among the unusual circumstances:

Quote:
A @gwupoe scoop: A LT in the US Coast Guard was arrested this week for drug and gun charges. It looked like a run of the mill case until the detention memo filed yesterday. He had a hit list, contacts with white supremacists, guns, and, again, was an Coastie assigned to HQ.
Old 20th February 2019, 08:26 PM   #16
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I await the inevitable conspiracy theory that he was framed.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 09:12 PM   #17
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Checkmite, I told you that I never got past the first paragraph before vomiting. Now you want to start talking about something else. The first paragraph says that it's common for the USCG Lieutenants to get arrested for drugs and weapons, but you want to start talking about something else. No thanks. Goodbye.
Ah ...no. The arrest was proceeding like the gazillion of other arrests that had gone before it. Until the court documents were published!

Anything else I can help you with?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 09:20 PM   #18
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Oh yeah, I've been on the campus and touched the hippopotamus statue.

But putting that aside, you have not said a damn word about it being an everyday event that a USCG Lieutenant is arrested for drugs and weapons. So this tells me that you do not care if I vomit for a second time. Which I have now done and it's all your fault.
It's just a poor choice of words. "An every day event", to you, looking for something to complain about, requires statistical proof that there are Nazi-loving crazy white separatist from the Coast Guard arrested all the time. To others, as was likely the intention of the person who wrote that, "it looked like just your average story about someone being busted for some reason...." until you read further and found all the craziness. People get busted in the armed forces all the time and unless it from the local Daily Bugle most people don't read the stories under the headlines.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 09:28 PM   #19
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I can't believe this is happening in the Coast Guard! It's the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that has all the crazies!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 09:40 PM   #20
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I can't believe this is happening in the Coast Guard! It's the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that has all the crazies!
No. The USFWS does not have ALL of the crazies.

However, I certainly do aspire to work for them someday, which will be a step towards rectifying the situation.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 10:40 PM   #21
Checkmite

The first paragraph says that it's common for the USCG Lieutenants to get arrested for drugs and weapons
No, that is a lie. You're consciously choosing that interpretation because it provides you with an excuse to dismiss the story. Nobody else here who read the story is suffering from the same lack of reading comprehension as you.

Last edited by Checkmite; 20th February 2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 20th February 2019, 10:50 PM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

have you seen his arsenal?

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/20/69647...=1550728357095

on his hitlist:
Quote:
In addition to Pelosi, Hasson was allegedly considering some type of violent assault on Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, Sens. Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand and Richard Blumenthal, along with U.S. Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Maxine Waters, and former house member, Beto O'Rourke. The spreadsheet list also included MSNBC hosts Chris Hayes and Joe Scarborough, as well as Don Lemon and Van Jones from CNN.
Old 20th February 2019, 11:03 PM   #23
mgidm86
Philosopher

No time for this, I still gotta get caught up on the Jussie Smollett case!
Old 20th February 2019, 11:40 PM   #24
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
People get busted in the armed forces all the time and unless it from the local Daily Bugle most people don't read the stories under the headlines.
So are you a J. Jonah Jameson sock puppet or what?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:44 PM   #25
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Vomiting obviously prevented you from finishing the sentence, because the first two sentences actually read, and I quote...

Quote:
Seamus Hughes of the George Washington Program on Extremism tweeted Wednesday that a U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant was arrested on drugs and weapons charges. He noted that it seemed like an everyday event until court documents were published.
It seemed like an everyday event until court documents were published. That kind of changes the meaning of it a bit, doesn't it?
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:48 PM   #26
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
So are you a J. Jonah Jameson sock puppet or what?
Naaah, just a big fan of NCIS. They've got one service person victim (at minimum) in every episode, but to have a victim they need a minimum of one, sometimes two or more service person perps (in most episodes - occasionally it's a civilian perp). They've busted arms traffickers, forgers, people traffickers, murderers, rapists, you name it.... And if you can't trust Gibbs, I mean who can you?

Seriously,... I'm pretty sure if you combed through the dishonorable discharges and the DB of the inmates at Leavenworth, you'd find a whole lot of drug and arms offenses. It's not a non-story in the sense that they didn't do anything wrong. It's a non-story if there's not more to it like wanting to kill off everyone who disagrees with you. "Coast Guard guy arrested for drugs and guns", as I said, isn't of much interest when there are both so many drug/gun busts and such a large percentage of the US population has done military service. There's got to be some venn overlap.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:50 PM   #27
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps this story may be less nausea-inducing for those with weak stomachs:

Beto O'Rourke among names on 'hit list' of self-avowed white supremacist arrested in Maryland

Quote:

Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi are among the names on an apparent hit list compiled by a Coast Guard lieutenant arrested last week as a "domestic terrorist," authorities said.

Christopher Paul Hasson, who had reportedly drafted an email discussing biological attacks as well as the hit list of prominent Democrats and media figures, was arrested after 15 firearms and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition were found in his basement apartment in Silver Spring, Md.
I'm just glad they caught him before he carried out whatever he was going to do.
Old 21st February 2019, 12:03 AM   #28
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Well, we have to weigh this against all the people arrested for planning to kill Trump...
Old 21st February 2019, 12:46 AM   #29
Mojo
Mostly harmless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov–Ribbentrop_Pact

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 01:33 AM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BBC Report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313724

A US Coast Guard officer has been arrested on suspicion of planning a terror attack, court documents show.

Police found a cache of weapons and ammunition at the Maryland home of Christopher Paul Hasson.

The self-proclaimed white nationalist had drawn up a list of targets including prominent Democratic politicians, according to prosecutors.

He is said to have drawn inspiration from the Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 01:38 AM   #31
Checkmite

Don't forget, the quintessential anti-semitic hoax-bible Protocols of the Elders of Zion was originally forged in Russia. There is a tradition of Jew-hating there at least among some quarters; and as recently as last year Putin himself downplayed the importance of Russian hackers being discovered behind the pro-Trump election interference campaign by suggesting that the hackers might be "Jews, just with Russian citizenship".
Old 21st February 2019, 01:55 AM   #32
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
BBC Report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313724

A US Coast Guard officer has been arrested on suspicion of planning a terror attack, court documents show.

Police found a cache of weapons and ammunition at the Maryland home of Christopher Paul Hasson.

The self-proclaimed white nationalist had drawn up a list of targets including prominent Democratic politicians, according to prosecutors.

He is said to have drawn inspiration from the Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik.
Damn good thing he was caught then.

ETA:
Quote:
Since 2017 Mr Hasson had studied parts of a manifesto by Anders Breivik on how to amass firearms and compile a list of targets, prosecutors allege.

Last edited by Puppycow; 21st February 2019 at 01:57 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:52 AM   #33
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Another mark on the board.

Right wing terrorism is going to have to be dealt with sooner or later. My guess is that it'll be later as in "far too late".

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 06:04 AM   #34
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post

Right wing terrorism is going to have to be dealt with sooner or later. My guess is that it'll be later as in "far too late".
Look we have gone decades pretending it doesn't exist even before it got more direct presidential support, no one on the right is ever going to think that these things are problems.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 06:42 AM   #35
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I also fail to see a pro-Russian motive here. Violent white nationalism in the US has a long history predating the right's more recent infatuation with Russia. Writing to some white nationalist leader about some great white nation in the Northwest smacks of 1990's style white nationalism. More a McVeigh than a pizzagater to my eye.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:16 AM   #36
Checkmite

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I also fail to see a pro-Russian motive here. Violent white nationalism in the US has a long history predating the right's more recent infatuation with Russia. Writing to some white nationalist leader about some great white nation in the Northwest smacks of 1990's style white nationalism. More a McVeigh than a pizzagater to my eye.
They are the same people, by and large. It's true that things like pizzagate, Qanon, and the pro-Russia sentiment are relatively late developments, and perhaps not universally held; but they don't constitute a separate and self-contained phenomenon. According to the court document this man was doing pro-Russia internet searches alongside his pro-nazi internet searches.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:21 AM   #37
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

They are the same people, by and large. It's true that things like pizzagate, Qanon, and the pro-Russia sentiment are relatively late developments, and perhaps not universally held; but they don't constitute a separate and self-contained phenomenon. According to the court document this man was doing pro-Russia internet searches alongside his pro-nazi internet searches.
I think it's an age thing. The young white nationalist is a pizzagater/proud boy, but I don't think they have much interest in the Idaho/Oregon brand of living of the grid Nazism that was common in the past.

This guy was a lieutenant, but not a young guy right out of college like you might expect. First enlisted in USMC in '88. Must have got a commission at some point over the years, but he's not some 21 year old edgelord.

His age is about right for this particular brand of white supremacy. Makes sense he would have a mix of old and new white supremacy cultures. 49 years old. McVeigh would be 51 if still alive today.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 21st February 2019 at 11:24 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:39 AM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

True, but for it to happen to a Looey in the Coast Guard is a bit unusual.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:42 AM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Don't forget, the quintessential anti-semitic hoax-bible Protocols of the Elders of Zion was originally forged in Russia. There is a tradition of Jew-hating there at least among some quarters; and as recently as last year Putin himself downplayed the importance of Russian hackers being discovered behind the pro-Trump election interference campaign by suggesting that the hackers might be "Jews, just with Russian citizenship".
Sad to say, Russia has a long history of Anti Semitism. In fact, before the Nazi era, you were much better off being a Jew in Germany then in Russia. But the Nazis made up for lost time...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:44 AM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post

And how would you deal with it? In the US we have this little thing that you cannot arrest people because of their opinions. They actually have to do something or be caught seriously planning to do something.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events