ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Facebook incidents , Facebook issues , free speech issues , internet incidents

Old 22nd April 2019, 12:22 PM   #241
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hmm I see it in conservative mindsets, breasts are of course horribly corrupting to the children, but hardcore nazi ideology is good for them.
That damn conservative social media site. Why good progressives even grace it with their presence is mind boggling. Good progressive need to show their objection by immediately deleting their accounts.

Better yet, flood your page with pictures of boobs and take your ban like a martyr.

Don't even get me started on that Tumblr thing. They just banned nipples...in 2018 ! This has got to be the work of Trump and his nazis.
Stout is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:25 PM   #242
Stout
Illuminator

I was describing the, in his words, fine people of the Charlottesville unite the right march. But thanks for playing. But I guess merely him being in office doesn't count as since he got elected for some reason.
Post #104 again, the problematic one. "stadium sized rallies" Attendance at unite the right was what ? Unite the right 2 got upwards of 20, maybe even 30.
Stout is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:31 PM   #243
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Post #104 again, the problematic one. "stadium sized rallies" Attendance at unite the right was what ? Unite the right 2 got upwards of 20, maybe even 30.
Got it stadium sized rallies to promote racism and white nationalism are good as long as they are not too explicitly nazi and just about promoting hatred through lies about Hispanics. There is of course nothing wrong with that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:35 PM   #244
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Words indeed mean thing, thus my point. We are so quick to label people we disagree with as Nazis when they really aren't at all. The very definition of the word can change under this practice. The meaning of words are always changing.
We are talking about people who label themselves.....
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:36 PM   #245
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Che Geuvara's ideology called for mass killings of fellow citizens. Did you not know this? Well, you do now. So apply your free speech standards to that, what do you get?
Again it is a? I've not said anything about banning Hitler's photo and so on.
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:40 PM   #246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It is, however, a valid retort to "it's OK to do this stuff to Nazis".

Yes we are. Note that the thread title isn't even "Facebook bans Nazi groups". The categorization of other people as Nazis has been at the heart of this discussion from the start.
For you that may be the case but not for me. I've made it very clear how I am using the word Nazi, and it isn't me or others labeling someone a Nazi, it is the label they label themselves with.
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:44 PM   #247
Stout
Illuminator

Got it stadium sized rallies to promote racism and white nationalism are good as long as they are not too explicitly nazi and just about promoting hatred through lies about Hispanics. There is of course nothing wrong with that.
Ok, I feel bad, I'll give you that one, as long as we redefine the term "stadium sized" to mean the bleacher section of a middle school basketball court.

Just for this one though. Just this one. We need something, anything to prove the existence of the massive nazi menace and keep it on the front burner.
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:45 PM   #248
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Might this forum benefit from following Facebook's lead and prohibiting such sentiments ? This whole skeptic thing appears to have run it's course and there's really no benefit to allowing that kind of thinking on this forum.
Is this forum a site recruiting white supremacists?

I think you may be misunderstanding the problem.
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:49 PM   #249
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Ok, I feel bad, I'll give you that one, as long as we redefine the term "stadium sized" to mean the bleacher section of a middle school basketball court.

Just for this one though. Just this one. We need something, anything to prove the existence of the massive nazi menace and keep it on the front burner.
No I was talking the basic content of a typical Trump speech. But remember Trump supporters are nazis, bigots, and white supremacists.

Some I assume are good people.

So by basic reasonable definitions any trump rally can be taken as a nazi rally to do otherwise would be totally logically inconsistent and suggest that Trump might be racist. OF course he isn't and there is nothing demeaning about Trump supporters in any of this.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:53 PM   #250
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Again it is a? I've not said anything about banning Hitler's photo and so on.
People who wear Che t-shirts are labeling themselves. How shall we treat them?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:56 PM   #251
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Treat them as sports fans cuz they're probably big fans of Che Stadium
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:00 PM   #252
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And yet, it is always and only implemented with violence. Must just be bad luck. Oh! Or it's not "true communism", how about that one? That was "stalinism" instead of "communism" (and Germany was under "hitlerism" not "nazism").

I don't think I can enough.
Funny how peaceful things can be after you kill all your enemies.
And Capitalism always comes about peacefully, with the full co-operation of all of the people on both sides..... oh wait

Old 22nd April 2019, 01:10 PM   #253
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
The Nazism of the first half of the 20th century? I'd agree with you. The modern form I am not familiar with enough to know what they want. I'm not even sure what constitutes as being one. Not being in 100% agreement with someone is enough to be labelled a Nazi. I don't know that I would say those people are inherently violent or calling for the killing of citizens as a number of those people end up being moderate conservatives or even far left leaning progressives. I have never met someone who identifies as a Nazi and would imagine their true numbers, the ones who actually act on their inherently violence beliefs, to be quite small.
I once encountered a guy who was a neo-Nazi. In talking to him, I was surprised to find that he was not a Holocaust denier. In fact, he said, the Holocaust was a tragedy... the tragedy being that Hitler didn't get all of them!

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd April 2019 at 01:17 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:11 PM   #254
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is this forum a site recruiting white supremacists?

I think you may be misunderstanding the problem.
Any platform that allows anti-Islam and anti-immigrant speech can be a site recruiting white supremacists. This forum might even get on the SPLCs radar as a hate site.
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:15 PM   #255
Stout
Illuminator

So by basic reasonable definitions any trump rally can be taken as a nazi rally...
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:16 PM   #256
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Do you really think that dedicated adherence to Che's politics (or even a passing familiarity with the subject) is common among those who wear the shirts?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:23 PM   #257
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Do you really think that dedicated adherence to Che's politics (or even a passing familiarity with the subject) is common among those who wear the shirts?
We've apparently already decided to judge people on the basis of superficial signaling, and not their actual actions. That ship has sailed.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:29 PM   #258
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

Keep rolling your eyes, then. I'm not wrong.
How would you get the means of production moved from the people who own it to the workers?

Also the dictionary (google) specifically calls it class war. Maybe they mean peaceful war?
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:30 PM   #259
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And Capitalism always comes about peacefully, with the full co-operation of all of the people on both sides..... oh wait
Yes! Let's go with this! Ban anyone who advocates capitalism! And why stop there?

It seems like you thought this might refute me, but really, it supports my entire point. It doesn't work to ban people for support of abstract or historical violence, because everyone but pacifists will support violence under some conditions. And pacifism is a minority viewpoint which can only survive when it is protected by non-pacifists.
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:34 PM   #260
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again as long as "No you can use my soapbox" is "a ban" in your head we can't argue you down from your ledge.

Tell you what Zigg. Give me your password to this board* so I can login as you and speak with your voice. If you don't do that, you are banning me. Give me the keys to your house so I can walk in whenever I want and talk to your family. If you don't do that, you are banning me.

*Note to Mods. This is a hypothetical. I would obviously never actually post as another user.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:58 PM   #261
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again as long as "No you can use my soapbox" is "a ban" in your head we can't argue you down from your ledge.
I'm using "ban" the way everyone, including the mods of this forum, use the word. I'm not the outlier here, you are.

Quote:
Tell you what Zigg. Give me your password to this board* so I can login as you and speak with your voice. If you don't do that, you are banning me.
This is a particularly stupid attempt at a comparison. If you were to log in and post as me, then other posters would falsely believe that those were my words. But nobody is confused about the fact that posts individuals and groups put on Facebook are made by those individuals and groups and not by Facebook the company. Furthermore, I don't pick and choose who can log into my account and post as me, nobody gets to do it.

The closest thing to a valid comparison with specifically my account would be you posting a visitor message on my forum profile page, and me wanting to delete that post.

But a much better comparison would simply be to... get this... banning a poster from this message board. And surprise, surprise, it's called a ban. By the people doing it, and by everyone else as well.

Quote:
Give me the keys to your house so I can walk in whenever I want and talk to your family. If you don't do that, you are banning me.
We've been over this before too. Houses are not like other property. But if a business open to the public refuses to let you on their premises, guess what? Yeah, that's a ban. That's how people routinely describe it.
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:12 PM   #262
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

He's saying that after the fact "peace" can be achieved through horrible means, and we should be careful of using "Well it's all peaceful now" as an arguing point.

If the barbarian horde kills everyone capable of fighting back or dissenting, you've technically achieved peace.
I thought that that was what he was saying. Hence my question.
It's a pretty crazy reply to my post.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:31 PM   #263
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Again I'm still not understanding what equivalence you are trying to draw. Can you just say it plainly?
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:31 PM   #264
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GnaGnaMan View Post
I thought that that was what he was saying. Hence my question.
It's a pretty crazy reply to my post.
Ah, okay, that's actually fair. It's the last paragraph of a five paragraph post that I didn't write.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:50 PM   #265
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Again I'm still not understanding what equivalence you are trying to draw. Can you just say it plainly?
Wearing a swastika declares one as a Nazi, and Nazis don't have a right to free speech, according to you.

Che Guevara was every bit as nasty and murderous as the Nazis. Wearing a Che t-shirt declares one as a believer in Che's ideology, and should likewise deprive one of the right to free speech on the same grounds, right?
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:10 PM   #266
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Che Guevara was every bit as nasty and murderous as the Nazis.
Can you explain how you mean that?
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:24 PM   #267
portlandatheist
Illuminator

There is nothing inherently violent about communism.
I disagree.
Quote:
“The next world war will result in the disappearance from the face of the earth not only of reactionary classes and dynasties, but also of entire reactionary peoples. And that, too, is a step forward.”
Engels
--Engels

It is a secular religion that believes in death to infidels.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:29 PM   #268
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I disagree.

--Engels

But that isn't inherently violent? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Stankeye; 22nd April 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:34 PM   #269
wareyin
Philosopher

Wearing a swastika declares one as a Nazi, and Nazis don't have a right to free speech, according to you.

Che Guevara was every bit as nasty and murderous as the Nazis. Wearing a Che t-shirt declares one as a believer in Che's ideology, and should likewise deprive one of the right to free speech on the same grounds, right?
Wearing Che Guevara shirts was cool and edgy back in the 90s, usually by kids who had no idea who he really was or what his ideology was. Do you honestly run into a lot of people who wear Che Guevara shirts now? I think it's been over a decade since I've seen one, which rather makes your focus on them appear to be both dated and a silly whataboutism.

But sure, I have no problems if Facebook decides to not allow Che Guevara groups on their site. Are there any?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:44 PM   #270
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It seems like you thought this might refute me, but really, it supports my entire point.
No it doesn't. It refutes your inference that only communism brings peace through violence.
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:55 PM   #271
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No it doesn't. It refutes your inference that only communism brings peace through violence.
That is your inference, not mine.
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:03 PM   #272
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Tell you what Zigg. Give me your password to this board* so I can login as you and speak with your voice. If you don't do that, you are banning me. Give me the keys to your house so I can walk in whenever I want and talk to your family. If you don't do that, you are banning me.

*Note to Mods. This is a hypothetical. I would obviously never actually post as another user.
Jesus Christ. I keep warning you. But does anyone listen? No. The pants-on-head-retarded arguments multiply without end.

As is Cassandra to the fall of Troy, so am I to the argument by analogy.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:16 PM   #273
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

We've apparently already decided to judge people on the basis of superficial signaling, and not their actual actions. That ship has sailed.
You're dodging, so I'll help you out.

You know that a Che shirt is almost never a political statement. It is more typically a fashion statement.

If you actually disagree with the italicized statement, let me know.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:18 PM   #274
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stankeye View Post
How would you get the means of production moved from the people who own it to the workers?
I don't know. Ask a communist.

Quote:
Also the dictionary (google) specifically calls it class war. Maybe they mean peaceful war?
It's a metaphor. You know, like how the "battle of ideas" is not an actual battle?
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:19 PM   #275
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I disagree.

--Engels

You might want to post a quote that actually supports your point.
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:36 PM   #276
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't see the problem here. If Facebook heads into a situation where they start banning anyone that even seems to suggest racist or separatism of anything else for that matter, then, so so what?

At the end of the day they will just be reducing their customer base, and that will hurt them, and you know what, it gives someone else that chance to come forward and pick up people kicked out of Facebook, and for them to build up a new platform.

If the worse was to happen in who was banned, then Facebook would end up going the same way as MySpace, Bebo, Google Plus, Vine, Yik Yak, Friendster, FormSpring, Yahoo! Buzz, Ping, Boly, Piczo. Friends Reunited, OtKut, Meercat, Yahoo! 360, Six Degrees, Peach, Eons, Pownce, FriendFeed, Capazoo.... and all the rest, and what woukld happen is that we'd have a new big thing.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:37 PM   #277
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That is your inference, not mine.

Nope, its yours - you own the claim - suck it up!
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:18 PM   #278
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Wearing a swastika declares one as a Nazi,...
Prince Harry is clearly not a Nazi.

Nor am I for that matter. I'm not even racist, but I've enjoyed wearing a swastika for shock value in the past.

Even better, brown gangs, who are inherently not Nazis, use swastikas in NZ as part of their insignia. I find it quite amusing to be at the pad of guys who would be in the gas chambers with the Jews & Romany using them.

Your conclusion is wrong.

But it's ok, so is the next one:

Wearing a Che t-shirt declares one as a believer in Che's ideology...
Wearing a Che t-shirt in NZ is identical to wearing a ZigZag papers t-shirt. A cool design that means exactly nothing.

I know from long experience that almost no people who have ever worn a Che shirt know anything about him at all.
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:21 PM   #279
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, and sorry to derail a discussion about Nazis rather than Farcebook, but that organisation and YouTube have done themselves no favours by still having multiple copies of the Christchurch video available on their platforms.

Words are cheap.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12224469
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:42 PM   #280
sadhatter
Philosopher

I could say I'm hung like a horse, doesn't make it true.

If they called themselves werewolves would you assume you needed silver bullets to kill them?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events