ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Mueller investigation , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , William Barr

Old 13th May 2019, 03:43 PM   #961
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Judiciary Chairman, Lindsey Graham, urged Donald Trump Jr. to violate the law by ignoring a subpoena.

https://thinkprogress.org/judiciary-...-978515783885/
Hypocrite. This is what Graham had to say about ignoring Senate subpoenas in 1998:

Quote:
Article 3 of Impeachment against Richard Nixon was based on the idea that Nixon as President, failed to comply with subpoenas from Congress. This robbed Congress of it's oversight duties. This subjected him to Impeachment.
Quote:
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psm57aWPrB0
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 07:14 PM   #962
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Time..........spent

W........TF?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:46 PM   #963
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The DOJ just outlined, in written form, that Tump committed crimes. There are people on this board who, from what I've seen, can't even admit to that much. I think you underestimate the power of cherry picking.
I think the medium of which the information is presented makes a difference. Most americans won't read the report, not even the executive summary or Barr's written lies about the report. However, video will go a long way.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 02:46 AM   #964
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Time..........spent
Post.........count

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:16 AM   #965
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Quote:
AP source: Barr launches new look at origins of Russia probe
WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General William Barr has appointed a U.S. attorney to examine the origins of the Russia investigation and determine if intelligence collection involving the Trump campaign was “lawful and appropriate,” a person familiar with the issue told The Associated Press on Monday.

Barr appointed John Durham, the U.S. attorney in Connecticut, to conduct the inquiry, the person said. The person could not discuss the matter publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Durham’s appointment comes about a month after Barr told members of Congress he believed “spying did occur” on the Trump campaign in 2016. He later said he didn’t mean anything pejorative and was gathering a team to look into the origins of the special counsel’s investigation.
https://apnews.com/75e5c4efd5c74e6e9aa1ba0237a0e651?

I can't wait to see Barr's summary of that report...
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:09 AM   #966
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
AP source: Barr launches new look at origins of Russia probe
WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General William Barr has appointed a U.S. attorney to examine the origins of the Russia investigation and determine if intelligence collection involving the Trump campaign was “lawful and appropriate,” a person familiar with the issue told The Associated Press on Monday.

https://apnews.com/75e5c4efd5c74e6e9aa1ba0237a0e651?

I can't wait to see Barr's summary of that report...
So, anyone want to take a guess what will happen here? Options are:

- Investigation quietly disbands without any sort of significant report in order to avoid any sort of embarrasement (a la the investigation into voter fraud)

- Investigation builds a case of "spying" by ignoring some events, taking other things out of context, and outright lying

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:27 AM   #967
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Does anyone believe that Barr isn't doing this because Trump has been squawking about it for months? Trump didn't need to specifically ask or instruct Barr to open this investigation any more than Trump needed to specifically direct Comey to stop investigating Flynn. Trump makes his desires known in a way he can plausibly deny having made them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 02:04 PM   #968
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

- Investigation quietly disbands without any sort of significant report in order to avoid any sort of embarrasement (a la the investigation into voter fraud)

- Investigation builds a case of "spying" by ignoring some events, taking other things out of context, and outright lying
- Investigation finds minor procedural errors which Barr and Trump will proclaim to be overwhelming definitive proof that the Russia investigation was corrupt

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:39 PM   #969
a_unique_person

We already know what will happen. Just look at the Benghazi "investigation".
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 08:34 PM   #970
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
good point.
Barr and Trump have strong interest to keep this investigation going until the 2020 elections, even if it essentially does nothing and uncovers nothing.
Old 14th May 2019, 08:39 PM   #971
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's going to end up like the Blue Ribbon voter fraud committee.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:13 AM   #972
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Re: What will happen with investigation into origins of Mueller investigation...
Quote:
good point.
Barr and Trump have strong interest to keep this investigation going until the 2020 elections, even if it essentially does nothing and uncovers nothing.
I guess it depends on just how public this investigation is.

A public investigation (e.g. by congressional committee, with TV coverage and journalists analyzing every word) could be used to smear opponents. On the other hand, if its handled like a criminal investigation (where everything is done with private interviews, a la the Mueller report) they won't be able to get much political benefit from it.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 09:12 AM   #973
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The less is known about the investigation, the better as far as Trump is concerned:
Trump and Q can keep on telling how serious the findings are, how everyone from Obama to HRC to Comey will definitely end up in jail, etc.
Just like the unbelievable things his investigators found out about Obama's birth certificate in Hawaii.
Old 15th May 2019, 10:02 AM   #974
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Despite two years and millions of dollars spent, the Democrats are acting like crazed lunatics ever since the results of the Mueller Report were made public. But they knew there was NOTHING even before the Report was started. It is all a big Hoax, the biggest in American history!

Ever since the Mueller Report showed No Collusion & No Obstruction, the Dems have been working overtime to damage me and the Republican Party by issuing over 80 demands for documents and testimonies, and with NO REASON. That’s all they want to do - don’t care about anything else!

When the Mueller Report came out showing NO Collusion with Russia (of course), it was supposed to be over, back to work for the people. But the Dems have gone “nuts,” and it has actually gotten worse! Hope the Republicans win back the House in 2020, or little will get done!

The “Constitutional Crisis” is the Democrats refusing to work. Let them start by fixing the mess that their Immigration Laws have caused at the Southern Border.
The guy projects more than a 70mm IMAX rig.
Old 15th May 2019, 10:08 AM   #975
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped
Time..........spent
I......rony
Old 15th May 2019, 10:18 AM   #976
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Prediction:

This investigation of the investigation will eventually go nowhere, but will take over 2 years and cost 10’s of millions of dollars. The investigation itself will leak worse than the Starr investigation after a fight with a U-boat pack. The Democratic politicians will mostly ignore it except when asked in interviews where they will laugh it off. QAnon rumors will be used as source material by the investigation. The media will take note of it from time to time, leading Trump to tweet about “what’s good for the goose is good for the gander”. Gander will be spelled ‘gandar’ and goose will be spelled with one ‘o’.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:36 PM   #977
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Just like the unbelievable things his investigators found out about Obama's birth certificate in Hawaii.
It turns out Obama was actually born in Huawei.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:10 PM   #978
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The less is known about the investigation, the better as far as Trump is concerned: ...
I fear that "investigation" will require a modifier from here on : either the Mueller investigation of all that stuff, or the Durham investigation of the instigation of the Mueller investigation.

The inevitable investigation of Barr's instigation of the Durham investigation is a bridge we can name when we cross it.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 06:51 PM   #979
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I fear that "investigation" will require a modifier from here on : either the Mueller investigation of all that stuff, or the Durham investigation of the instigation of the Mueller investigation.
Investigation and Investigation2

Quote:
The inevitable investigation of Barr's instigation of the Durham investigation is a bridge we can name when we cross it.
Investigation3
Old 15th May 2019, 08:05 PM   #980
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It turns out Obama was actually born in Huawei.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:47 PM   #981
a_unique_person

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60378327...#sp=show-clips

AG Barr says in the interview

Quote:

Because I think people have to find out what the Government was doing during that period. If we're worried about foreign influence for the very same reason we should be worried about whether government officials abused their power and put their thumb on the scale. And, and so, I'm not saying that happened but I'm saying we have to look at that.

Is he weaponising the office of the AG and using it to attack his political opponents. No, of course not. He's just investigating.
Old 17th May 2019, 04:00 AM   #982
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

New Fox Poll: 58% of people say that the FBI broke the law in investigating Donald J. Trump. @foxandfriends

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

“What happened is that Donald Trump won. Down goes Comey.” @foxandfriends
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 04:19 AM   #983
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Trump Tweets

My Campaign for President was conclusively spied on. Nothing like this has ever happened in American Politics. A really bad situation. TREASON means long jail sentences, and this was TREASON
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 04:21 AM   #984
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Josh Campbell CNN, Former FBI) Tweets

Replying to @realDonaldTrump
2019: The President of the United States is demanding long jail sentences for FBI officials who investigated threats from a hostile foreign adversary
Old 17th May 2019, 04:49 AM   #985
a_unique_person

Trump Tweets

Trump Tweets

My Campaign for President was conclusively spied on. Nothing like this has ever happened in American Politics. A really bad situation. TREASON means long jail sentences, and this was TREASON

He's going all in.
Old 17th May 2019, 05:27 AM   #986
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Will Jerry Nadler ever look into the fact that Crooked Hillary deleted and acid washed 33,000 emails AFTER getting a most powerful demand notice for them from Congress?
Old 17th May 2019, 05:50 AM   #987
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Trump Tweets

New Fox Poll: 58% of people say that the FBI broke the law in investigating Donald J. Trump. @foxandfriends

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

“What happened is that Donald Trump won. Down goes Comey.” @foxandfriends
Only 58% of fox viewers? That's actually encouraging
Old 17th May 2019, 07:46 AM   #988
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Will Jerry Nadler ever look into the fact that Crooked Hillary deleted and acid washed 33,000 emails AFTER getting a most powerful demand notice for them from Congress?
Strange... the republicans controlled both houses of congress for 2 years when Trump was president. They controlled various congressional committees and could (in theory) have opened up investigations into her emails. (Granted, it would have been a witch hunt...Bengazi: the sequel, but they still had the power.)

Yet after 2 years... nothing.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 17th May 2019, 08:16 AM   #989
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So Flynn is back in the news...

From: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/polit...ion/index.html
Convicted former national security adviser Michael Flynn proved to be valuable in the Russia investigation because he informed the special counsel that people connected to the Trump administration or Congress had contacted him, discussing his cooperation and potentially attempting to obstruct the investigation, newly unsealed court records show.

And of course Trump is saying:
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-investigation
"It now seems the General Flynn was under investigation long before was common knowledge. It would have been impossible for me to know this but, if that was the case, and with me being one of two people who would become president, why was I not told so that I could make a change?" Trump tweeted.... The president's efforts to disassociate from Flynn came one day after court documents showed the former official provided information to Mueller relevant to his inquiry into obstruction of justice.

Hmmm.... too bad there weren't some signs that perhaps Flynn was an individual that you shouldn't have around... such as the fact that he had been previously fired, or warnings from other presidents.
Obama warned Trump against hiring Flynn. The Obama administration fired Flynn in 2014 from his position as head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, largely because of mismanagement and temperament issues.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 17th May 2019, 08:57 AM   #990
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

Trump Tweets
Meta!

Quote:
Funny he should say that, because I have it on good authority from right-wingers that TREASON is not a crime unless you're at war and some very specific criteria are met.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 09:20 AM   #991
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Meta!

Funny he should say that, because I have it on good authority from right-wingers that TREASON is not a crime unless you're at war and some very specific criteria are met.
And until you're actually charged and convicted, regardless of evidence.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:10 AM   #992
a_unique_person

Trump Tweets

Hillary, the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 18th May 2019, 01:10 AM   #993
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The great irony of 2016 and the run-up to it is that both the Clinton and the Trump campaign were convinced that the FBI was in the pocket of their opponent.
If Clinton had been more open, she probably would have become President.
If Trump had been more open, there never would have been the Mueller investigation.
And if the FBI didn't look so partisan, it could work much more efficiently.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:00 AM   #994
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Mmm. Back to Mueller! Well, Flynn, actually. Looks like there's been some declassification.

Quote:
The court filing from special counsel Robert Mueller is believed to mark the first public acknowledgement that a person connected to Capitol Hill was suspected of engaging in an attempt to impede the investigation into Russian election interference.

“The defendant informed the government of multiple instances, both before and after his guilty plea, where either he or his attorneys received communications from persons connected to the Administration or Congress that could’ve affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation," says the newly revealed section of a sentencing memo originally filed in December.

Flynn even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication, the court papers say.
So... we're at the point where we've got confirmation of a tape that confirms crime. On top of everything else.

And that both members of Congress and members of the White House were involved.

Last edited by Aridas; 18th May 2019 at 03:02 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:37 AM   #995
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Trump Tweets

And they Grand Jury is drawn from one of the bluest places in the country. I do hope the Barr creature goes for an indictment. Should be fun to watch.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:38 AM   #996
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Mmm. Back to Mueller! Well, Flynn, actually. Looks like there's been some declassification.

So... we're at the point where we've got confirmation of a tape that confirms crime. On top of everything else.

And that both members of Congress and members of the White House were involved.
There should be a second special counsel after the election to prosecute Trump for crimes committed in office.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:45 PM   #997
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

James Comey tweeted:
Quote:
@Comey
The AG should stop sliming his own Department. If there are bad facts, show us, or search for them professionally and then tell us what you found. An AG must act like the leader of the Department of Justice, an organization based on truth. Donald Trump has enough spokespeople. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 07:33 PM   #998
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm not sure it has to be actual war, but certainly there must be an enemy, and yes, this doesn't count as treason. That's hyperbole at best.

But the spying still stinks, and very well may have been illegal.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 07:59 PM   #999
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I'm not sure it has to be actual war, but certainly there must be an enemy, and yes, this doesn't count as treason. That's hyperbole at best.

This is the Trump presidency and he has acquired the desired backup in place. It's TREASON and he's going the be tweeting that endlessly.
Old 18th May 2019, 08:56 PM   #1000
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Your post confuses me.

Just what do you believe Obama did with the data from all this spying on the Trump campaign?

And do you think the Aussie Ambassador was in on it warning the FBI about Russian interference in the election?

Why did Comey screw Clinton and not reveal there was a Trump investigation?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th May 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics