ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ufos

Old 30th December 2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Why are there no current UFO threads?

This is arguably the most common item in the skeptics world, and the papers are lousy with sightings this past year, including just a day or two ago in New York.

If anything remains of a skeptics' forum, these should be called out with explanations given. I hope this isn't being responded to with a mean "go search for it, it's all explained decades ago!" or "If you look on the thread on page 14 of the thread list, post #518, obviously, it's explained right there!"

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 10:18 AM   #2
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The job is done. The lizard people have taken over. We sent the mother ship home.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Deadie
Scholar

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
This is arguably the most common item in the skeptics world, and the papers are lousy with sightings this past year, including just a day or two ago in New York.

If anything remains of a skeptics' forum, these should be called out with explanations given. I hope this isn't being responded to with a mean "go search for it, it's all explained decades ago!" or "If you look on the thread on page 14 of the thread list, post #518, obviously, it's explained right there!"
So what exactly is there to discuss or explain?
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 10:45 AM   #4
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Deadie View Post

Examining the sightings and attempting to deduce what they really are can be fun.
There was a UFO filmed floating over an amusement park in Virginia back in 2009. Besides the fact that only one person apparently saw and filmed it, the UFO in the footage looks remarkably like the outline of a water droplet on a window a short distance from the camera lens.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:05 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If anything remains of a skeptics' forum, these should be called out with explanations given.
I think you may be onto something...
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Right off hand, I can think of two different reasons:

Reason 1: UFOs are clearly not the product of some sort of extra-terrestrial intelligence.

Reason 2: Because the Forum mods are in cahoots with the extra-terrestrial intelligence and they do not want their presence discovered just yet.

Personally, I think that Reason 1 is the more likely the real reason.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

The number of UFO sightings seems to go down as the number of people with mobile phones with camera and video capability goes up.

It's obvious to me that the aliens have developed cloaking technology. It's the only sensible explanation.
Old 30th December 2019, 11:10 AM   #8
autumn1971
Illuminator

People are finally unashamedly admitting that anal probing, when consensual, can be a bit of cheeky fun, no need to report anything
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:17 AM   #9
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

UFOs are soo 1960ties. They were forgotten so long that some will hope that it's time for a revival.

Let's face it: Even back in the sixties, even UFO fans acknowledged that >90% of the sightings had a mundane explanation. The rest of us realized that the remaining 10% or less surely had, too.

Only, it's difficult to find an exact explanation for all non-repeatable, poorly documented observations.

Thus, we must return to ye olde "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Grainy photos or random witness accounts is not extraordinary evidence. It isn't even good evidence.

Hans
Old 30th December 2019, 12:00 PM   #10
xjx388
Philosopher

When we have Bigfoot threads that are still active, it is indeed weird that UFOS get no attention. I think the “problem” is that there aren’t any true believers coming on to post about the latest thing, where as there are still some proponents of Bigfoot, psychics, ghosts that post here.

Elsewhere, there are active discussions -reddit, for one place.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).

If you want to discuss a report of a UFO sighting, then start a topic.

As I see it, UFOs were a 90s topic that grew, dwindled, then faded out perhaps by around 2015.

I think that food, diet, nutrition and fitness is one of the largest areas of "new" woo in the past 5 years, or rather a topic discussed far more than UFOs.

Currently, politics and global temperature reduction seems to be the emerging "hot topic".

At least, that's my biased view of the current zeitgeist.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
A quick perusal of the 'History' Channel will convince you that UFO's and The Knights Templar are in cahoots to dominate the network and it's affiliates.
Old 30th December 2019, 01:36 PM   #13
Rincewind
Philosopher

You mean apart from this one?
Old 30th December 2019, 04:08 PM   #14
Beerina

Originally Posted by Deadie View Post
Someone interested in each one might want to know if there is a reasonable explanation, as the mystery is trumpeted for clicks.

That's what.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 04:15 PM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I can't remember the last time I read about a UFO sighting in the mainstream media? Are they still reporting such things?
Old 30th December 2019, 04:39 PM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
The number of UFO sightings seems to go down as the number of people with mobile phones with camera and video capability goes up.
Yeah, this

In the 1960's the number of people who even owned home movie cameras was miniscule, let alone the number who would actually carry one around with them everywhere they go. It then stands to reason that these days, where close to half the world's population routinely carries at least an HD video camera in the form of a smartphone, then if UFO's were genuinely spacecraft (be they alien or not), there would be hundreds of clear, genuine, HD videos of them taken every day..... this is simply not happening.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 08:40 PM   #17
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I figure that if the aliens caught you using a smartphone they'd probably vaporize you or your phone or both, so of course there's no evidence! Proof of the alien menace is the absence of evidence!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 08:57 PM   #18
Axxman300
Illuminator

Technically UFO sightings are at an all-time high:

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxevent.html

But yeah, if you saw one or want to talk UFO's start a thread.
Old 31st December 2019, 04:01 AM   #19
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

In the 1960s there were a few blurry pictures of UFOs. People were silly enough to accept this as evidence of visitors from another world. They had not been taught to question authority. For example doctors could treat patients without their informed consent. Now, people question any authority figures a lot more. Doctors cannot treat patients without their informed consent. A person now puts up a blurry photo and says "look at my UFO" it would meet with a skeptical response. They will no longer be taken seriously by mainstream media.
Old 31st December 2019, 06:19 AM   #20
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

There are no current UFO threads because Billy Meier is getting too damn old for this ****
Old 31st December 2019, 06:51 AM   #21
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I’m on Quora a lot, and there’s no lack of questions and interest in the whole UFO/Alien thing.
The now 15-year-old Navy incident:
https://themediahq.com/ufo-pilot-who...fter-15-years/
Is constantly referenced....

There are plenty of true believers in the Roswell/crashed UFO idiocy even though the whole thing should have been put to bed after Project Mogul was declassified in the early 90s.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 07:37 AM   #22
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post

Also a factor, three prolific posters of UFO stuff all had forum issues - King of the Americas flamed out, quit, rejoined and flamed out again. RRamjet had a registration problem here and never resolved it, so he can no longer post on the forum. Or was that ufology? Or both?

ETA - not ufology. He looks to still be a member here, but not active.
Quote:

Last Activity: 26th March 2015 02:15 AM
Maybe we could pin the website from his signature as an educational resource on "what ufologists believe."

Last edited by carlitos; 31st December 2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: what a mess - lots of edits
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:39 AM   #23
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
There are no current UFO threads because Billy Meier is getting too damn old for this ****
Yeah, climbing up on those ladders rigging model flying saucers must be difficult in his old age. I heard he's auctioning off a lot of his original prints, ostensibly to keep the money flowing. As a confirmed skeptic of UFOs and especially of Billy Meier, I would absolutely love to own a Meier original. The guy's an obvious fraud, but his pictures are iconic.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:57 AM   #24
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Gee whiz!

It sure is a shame that they do not make documentaries like Plan 9 From Outer Space anymore.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 09:42 AM   #25
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the aliens took a look at the current state of the world and said "**** this, man!" and have all flown a long distance away so they won't be harmed when they blow it all up.

Old 31st December 2019, 10:27 AM   #26
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Maybe the aliens took a look at the current state of the world and said "**** this, man!" and have all flown a long distance away so they won't be harmed when they blow it all up.
As long as the galaxy gets a decent hyperspatial bypass out of the deal.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 10:42 AM   #27
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I'm pretty sure that Oumuamua was a real estraterrestrial probe. They came into the system, and started monitoring our communications. Pretty soon, they picked up a Trump rally and said, "Holy ****, let's get the **** out this hellhole.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:23 AM   #28
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I think it's hard nowadays to promote a sighting, because of drones.

It's kind of like a Dr. Evil and Scott scene.

"I saw mysterious lights in the sky."

"Drones."

"But they were maneuvering like..."

"Drones."

"But a pilot in the area also saw..."

"Drones."

"It was a whole formation of them moving in perfect..."

"Drones."

"And then..."

"Drones."

"But..."

"Drones, drones on the range."

"Look, it couldn't..."

"Daylight come, and me wan' go Drones."

"But if..."

"I got a whole bag of 'Drones' here with your name on it."
Old 1st January 2020, 09:43 AM   #29
Beerina

I guess there isn't much point in a thread for an incident, if at the bottom of what turns out to be a clickbait story, they explain what it really was.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal