ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Should Harry and Meghan abdicate?
Yes, stripped of titles including HRH and public funding/protection 9 25.71%
Yes but keeping titles incl HRH, public funding, protection and Frogmore Cottage 2 5.71%
No, Harry cannot give up his British citizenship and Archie belongs to the Queen 3 8.57%
Who? 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd January 2020, 02:25 AM   #601
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'll always remember Lamarr trying to explain to the lead singer of "Tower of London" (a guest second in stupidity and misplaced self confidence only to Dappy) that Bill Bailey is a professional comedian and trying to out insult him wasn't going to go well.
Amstell.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:38 AM   #602
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Royal patronage does seem to be able to increase the amount of money raised by useful charities.
How does UK charity giving compare to countries without royal patronage?

ETA: Looked for some quick figures and it would appear more people are charitable in the USA than in the UK. Yet more evidence we should drop the royals!

Last edited by Darat; 23rd January 2020 at 02:42 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:46 AM   #603
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How does UK charity giving compare to countries without royal patronage?

ETA: Looked for some quick figures and it would appear more people are charitable in the USA than in the UK. Yet more evidence we should drop the royals!
Grasping at straws a bit there sorry Darat.

The fact the UK gives less per person does not change the fact they give more if a royal endorses the charity organisation.

Frankly that comment was a bit silly for you
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:30 AM   #604
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Grasping at straws a bit there sorry Darat.

The fact the UK gives less per person does not change the fact they give more if a royal endorses the charity organisation.

Frankly that comment was a bit silly for you
I take it you have smilies blocked.

But that aside, can you provide me with the evidence you have that shows people give more to a charity if it has a royal patron.
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:34 AM   #605
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

But that aside, can you provide me with the evidence you have that shows people give more to a charity if it has a royal patron.
Lol

Well done

I can't disprove the unprovable but suspect the Invictus would be nothing like it is with competitions without Harry.

Fair play though. Snookered
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:54 AM   #606
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Lol

Well done

I can't disprove the unprovable but suspect the Invictus would be nothing like it is with competitions without Harry.

I'm actually curious about this.

I suspect it will reveal that as usual it really will be about patronage, nobs and the rich get the chance to rub shoulders. As it would have been known "the old boys network".

Sadly in the UK it is still who your parents know that sets you up for life.
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:04 AM   #607
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I'm actually curious about this.

I suspect it will reveal that as usual it really will be about patronage, nobs and the rich get the chance to rub shoulders. As it would have been known "the old boys network".

Sadly in the UK it is still who your parents know that sets you up for life.
Tend to agree totally with that.

The fact we where largely unaware before brings both sides.

More money. But a realisation of their lack of valid profile before.

Last edited by cullennz; 23rd January 2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:19 AM   #608
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That was crappily worded

They got a lot more money and more importantly profile with the Hazzas name attached.

Old 23rd January 2020, 07:22 AM   #609
Azrael 5
Philosopher

My view: Harry loves his wife.
Harry hates the media due to his Mother's death
Harry has seen his wife suffer disgraceful abuse in the press and no one in his family has stood up for her. Counytry blames Meghan for "something"
His Brother's wife is accused once of having botox and the palace bring out legal letters.
Harry thinks "sod this whats point in being here Im off"

Country loses it's mind.
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:31 AM   #610
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That is almost certainly a 'trading as' name. It will not be able to patent itself as 'royal' (without royal permission) and I doubt it is listed in Companies House as 'Royal Cleaners Limited'.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...siness-name-uk
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:31 AM   #611
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Harry has seen his wife suffer disgraceful abuse in the press and no one in his family has stood up for her. Counytry blames Meghan for "something"
His Brother's wife is accused once of having botox and the palace bring out legal letters.

Country loses it's mind.
I think your view is quite accurate, and I think I understand Harry quite well. After 35 years of marriage my wife's well-being and happiness is still number one to me. Anyone attempting to interfere with that can indeed sod off.
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:53 AM   #612
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I think your view is quite accurate, and I think I understand Harry quite well. After 35 years of marriage my wife's well-being and happiness is still number one to me. Anyone attempting to interfere with that can indeed sod off.

Quite right. There's even a vow you take, that says so.

Various friends, associates, and family members, for various reasons, considered my wife an unsuitable choice for me back when we married over 25 years ago. That problem pretty much disappeared once I made it clear enough that while everyone was entitled to their opinions, whatever standing they thought entitled them to have an actual say in the matter, actually didn't.

Whether or not one believes any god exists, the line "what God has joined together, let no one separate" makes it pretty clear where the priorities should be for any couple who want to remain a couple.
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:37 AM   #613
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Amstell.
So much for my memory!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 07:06 AM   #614
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Prince Harry (or Mehgan since they do a women's Rumble at the event now as well) should have been a surprise Run-in at the Royal Rumble last night. The jokes would have written themselves.

Lesnar's in the ring, "God Save the Queen" plays and and Union Jack pops up on the Titantron. Everytime Prince Harry elimates someone the commentators could make a Brexit pun with the Wrestler's name. He could either square off with or form an alliance with King Corben. Bring back the old European title for him. Make him the General Manager of NXT UK.

Goddamnit someone get me Vince McMahon on the phone, I want to pitch this for next year.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 27th January 2020 at 07:13 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 07:53 AM   #615
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Prince Harry (or Mehgan since they do a women's Rumble at the event now as well) should have been a surprise Run-in at the Royal Rumble last night. The jokes would have written themselves.

Lesnar's in the ring, "God Save the Queen" plays and and Union Jack pops up on the Titantron. Everytime Prince Harry elimates someone the commentators could make a Brexit pun with the Wrestler's name. He could either square off with or form an alliance with King Corben. Bring back the old European title for him. Make him the General Manager of NXT UK.

Goddamnit someone get me Vince McMahon on the phone, I want to pitch this for next year.
I am sure this makes sense in some reality....
Old 27th January 2020, 08:04 AM   #616
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I am sure this makes sense in some reality....
American pro-wrestling joke.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 09:17 AM   #617
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd been seeing stuff about H&M moving to Canada for some time, but didn't realize until a couple of days ago they're moving to just 50 or 60 miles from me, as the crow seagull flies.
Of course, if the seagull has to drive and take the ferry, it's a bit longer.
Old 27th January 2020, 11:40 AM   #618
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd been seeing stuff about H&M moving to Canada for some time, but didn't realize until a couple of days ago they're moving to just 50 or 60 miles from me, as the crow seagull flies.
Low flying pumpkins excepted. What special attractions does your neck of the wood have, that (ex)royalty would want move there?

On the other hand. Flying Pumpkins. Hmm. I guess we might have an answer.
Old 27th January 2020, 11:50 AM   #619
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Because she only had it from being married to Charles.

Both of them committed adultery; I don't know what the actual quoted grounds for the divorce were, though. Two years separation would have been enough, with no need to assign fault.
Fault-free divorce did not come until much later. In fact, I am not sure if we have fault-free divorce yet (if we do, it will be a very recent development). When Chas and Di divorced they will have had to cite one of several reasons:
  • adultery
  • desertion
  • annulment on grounds of non-consumation (not technically a divorce)
  • unreasonable behaviour
  • irretrievable breakdown of the marriage

For the latter, you need to go through the stages of a formal separation. The presence of two children under sixteen, certainly doesn't make for a 'divorce by post after living two years apart'.

AIUI Diana was stripped of HRH by the Queen as a form of punishment (for going public), not because she was divorced, although of course, that would have been tricky for Charles' subsequent Consort.

Last edited by Vixen; 27th January 2020 at 11:51 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 11:55 AM   #620
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Don't know about that, but her brother sounds like a right count & no mistake.
Sounds like a horrid dysfunctional family all-round with hated stepmother Raine and and the clad-in-pink Barbara Cartland making Diana's life hell.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 11:59 AM   #621
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Fault ain't got nuttin' to do with it.

Irrespective of whether Diana or Charles was at fault for the Divorce (and, er, remember that Diana herself admitted adultery at the point where she felt the marriage had broken down - but certainly well before divorce proceedings), the divorce meant that Charles remained a senior member of the RF (and, obv, an HRH) and Diana, from the precise moment of the divorce, ceased to have the right to the HRH title or to be a member of the RF. It was only, as I said before, because of PR management by the Palace, coupled with the fact that she was the mother of a (presumed) future King that they concocted the "Diana, Princess of Wales" title for her.....
You can cross-petition of course, but whoever commits adultery first gets to be the party at fault.

There was an argument that she was entitled to HRH as mother of the heir apparent to be. However, the Queen and Charles were so angry she didn't just let things be, i.e., let him carry on knobbing Camilla on the quiet and her being the broodmare staying in the background, but no, she just HAD to go crying to the press and seek comfort in the arms of other men. The brazen hussy.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:04 PM   #622
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I wonder if Vixen was ever in a famous Scottish rock band?
Funnily enough, I was a fan of Big Country and watched Never Mind the Buzzcocks ('Ul-ri-ka-ka-ka-ka'). Was gutted when Stuart Adamson died.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:06 PM   #623
Vixen
Suspended

It would be much cheaper and of course we could raise even more money from tourism if they went. And the crown estates is just one of those quaint old fictions we like in the this country.
A huge percentage of land in the UK is owned by the aristocracy. Even if you did away with the monarchy, they and their relatives would still own most of the country.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:11 PM   #624
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

A huge percentage of land in the UK is owned by the aristocracy. Even if you did away with the monarchy, they and their relatives would still own most of the country.
It took 250000 cows to make one German zeppelin in the first world War.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:12 PM   #625
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
If they are so powerless, why can Charles virtually write himself tax breaks at will, as has been documented? That's just one example of "royal" power.
Charles simply takes advantage of company tax laws He will likely pay off the estimated market-value rent of £360K p.a. out of the Duchy of Cornwall coffers and then claim it back as an 'expense' when he submits his annual return. So the tax-payer pays for it anyway.

If you can get your expenses to cancel out your revenues and call the net figure a 'loss', then you can simply carry the loss over to the following year and get a tax break, that way.

You can claim a uniform as an expense so I wonder if Charles claims back the huge amount of money Kate and Meghan spends on their clothing when performing public duties?

Bet he does.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:15 PM   #626
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Don't tell us you buy the idea that a driver who mixed alcohol and psychoactive drugs would lose control of a car at high speed and end up killing himself and his unrestrained passengers! When has that ever happened??
There are unanswered questions. Paul Henri (...?) appears to have been on the French intelligence agency payroll. There is likely more to this than meets the eye.

Documents about Prince Philip are sealed for the next 130 years.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:22 PM   #627
Vixen
Suspended

The RSPCA is a case in point. Off the top of my head it is sitting on a phenomenal sum of money, thanks to little old ladies leaving it legacies in their will.

In fact, when I worked for a group of heart and lung hospitals (yes royal, we even once had Princess Margaret in for treatment), I worked partly on its 'estate accounts' - a charitable trust - and it was literally worth hundreds of million pounds, just sitting there. I am not sure how CIPFA covered this as it was not strictly speaking 'public' funds.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:25 PM   #628
Vixen
Suspended

Lol

Well done

He's still in control of Invictus Games. It's one of his private patronages. He made a statement of intent to oversee the next games in Dortmund in the next few months.

The pair of them will be back 8 (?) March 2020 for the Commonwealth Service.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:27 PM   #629
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post

Country loses it's mind.
Yes, it has been noticed that Brits who have a whole bunch of Brexiteers frothing at the mouth about immigrants coming into the country is now ironically, in paroxyms of rage that one of them has announced she wants to leave.

Last edited by Vixen; 27th January 2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:28 PM   #630
Vixen
Suspended

Well your first duty isn't to your country, is it?
Old 27th January 2020, 12:32 PM   #631
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You'll have to practice bowing and scraping in case you run into them. Warning: do NOT attempt to take their photo. Do NOT pat their dogs' heads nor dare ask names of said dogs.

We'd hate to see you litigated.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:34 PM   #632
Steve
Philosopher

Well your first duty isn't to your country, is it?
No. And neither is Harry's. He has completed his duty to his country. Even his mum says so.
Old 27th January 2020, 01:04 PM   #633
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The RSPCA is a case in point. Off the top of my head it is sitting on a phenomenal sum of money, thanks to little old ladies leaving it legacies in their will.

In fact, when I worked for a group of heart and lung hospitals (yes royal, we even once had Princess Margaret in for treatment), I worked partly on its 'estate accounts' - a charitable trust - and it was literally worth hundreds of million pounds, just sitting there. I am not sure how CIPFA covered this as it was not strictly speaking 'public' funds.
Ice cream is really ice custard.
Old 27th January 2020, 01:50 PM   #634
Vixen
Suspended

Ice cream is really ice custard.
Nurse!
Old 27th January 2020, 01:54 PM   #635
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

There are unanswered questions. Paul Henri (...?) appears to have been on the French intelligence agency payroll. There is likely more to this than meets the eye.
...so he was willing to commit suicide by driving while intoxicated? And take the chance that it might not even work since people survive horrible car accidents all the time? Pure stupidity.
Quote:
Documents about Prince Philip are sealed for the next 130 years.
Yeah. Nothing makes a conspiracy theory more plausible than citing secret documents...that nobody can verify as existing.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 02:59 PM   #636
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Fault-free divorce did not come until much later. In fact, I am not sure if we have fault-free divorce yet (if we do, it will be a very recent development). When Chas and Di divorced they will have had to cite one of several reasons:
  • adultery
  • desertion
  • unreasonable behaviour

For the latter, you need to go through the stages of a formal separation. The presence of two children under sixteen, certainly doesn't make for a 'divorce by post after living two years apart'.

AIUI Diana was stripped of HRH by the Queen as a form of punishment (for going public), not because she was divorced, although of course, that would have been tricky for Charles' subsequent Consort.

Then UUI incorrectly.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:00 PM   #637
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

You can cross-petition of course, but whoever commits adultery first gets to be the party at fault.

There was an argument that she was entitled to HRH as mother of the heir apparent to be. However, the Queen and Charles were so angry she didn't just let things be, i.e., let him carry on knobbing Camilla on the quiet and her being the broodmare staying in the background, but no, she just HAD to go crying to the press and seek comfort in the arms of other men. The brazen hussy.

No, you're wrong. She was not entitled to HRH status once the divorce was finalised.

(Interesting value judgements in the rest of your post though. Very interesting.)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 04:45 PM   #638
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

• adultery
  • desertion
  • unreasonable behaviour

Nonsense. Two years separation is enough for a divorce if both parties consent, and that has been the case since 1969. Do you not think it might be a good idea to check your facts before you post?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 06:10 PM   #639
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Low flying pumpkins excepted. What special attractions does your neck of the wood have, that (ex)royalty would want move there?

On the other hand. Flying Pumpkins. Hmm. I guess we might have an answer.
No attraction at all. It rains all the time. The scenery is just boring mountains and water. The people all drink Starbucks. Seriously, just stay away!
Old 27th January 2020, 06:22 PM   #640
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

No they don't. No one in my entire social circle likes to say they are descended from William the Conqueror. So again you are simply wrong.

Also of course some of us don't really consider recent invaders such as William the Conk and his begats as being a pedigree to be proud of...
I used to know someone who had documentation of her descent from Harald Hardrada. She showed it to me once, and it appeared genuine.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events